or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New Apple TV with Netflix streaming to be unveiled Wednesday - report

New Apple TV with Netflix streaming to be unveiled Wednesday - report

post #1 of 68
The new Apple TV, complete with Netflix Instant Watch capabilities, is set to be introduced at Apple's media event Wednesday, according to a new report.

Three anonymous sources reportedly told Bloomberg that the new Apple TV will include "programming from Netflix," which will be available as part of the new set top box platform from Apple. Like the current streaming options available for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, the Apple TV-based software would require a monthly subscription with the Netflix service.

The report also reiterated the rumor that the new device will cost just $99, which would be $130 less than the current Apple TV product.

The report did not indicate whether the Netflix functionality would be built-in to the new Apple TV, or it if will be available via the App Store as it is for the iPhone and iPad. Recent rumors have suggested that the new Apple TV, perhaps dubbed iTV, will run the iOS operating system and have access to the App Store.

While Apple is widely expected to introduce a new, smaller iPod nano, and an iPod touch with two cameras and a Retina Display, the awaited Apple TV update was considered less of a certainty. However, the latest report would suggest the hardware is likely to appear.

Apple's "special event" will begin Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will have full live coverage.
post #2 of 68
Roku will be bummed.
post #3 of 68
It's a little weird that evert device in the house can stream Netflix: TV, Blu-ray, iPhone, iPad, computer, my watch, eyelids, ice dispenser... hell, even my dog will stream Netflix soon. Too bad most new releases aren't available when the DVD/BD is.
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

hell, even my dog will stream Netflix soon.

I am pretty sure my dog can stream netflix.
post #5 of 68
boy, it didn't take long for AI to pilfer this news off engadget.
post #6 of 68
This must be true. I just bought a Roku box yesterday
post #7 of 68
Quote:

Too bad most new releases aren't available when the DVD/BD is.

Too bad recent releases aren't available for streaming, period. While I like the Netflix streaming service, the selection so far is pitiful.
post #8 of 68
I think what this rumor is saying is that the iTV will be a small box running a version of iOS that will support apps. In other words, it won't by itself stream Netflix movies but I bet Netflix will have an app ready to go for the new device that will stream it's movies.

Think of it like an iPod Touch without the screen but with HDMI out. You will be able to buy/download apps and run them on your TV set. Take away the touch screen and battery and it's seems very reasonable to make the device for the rumored $100. The only real question is how the box will be controlled... I don't think an Apple Remote is going to cut it and requiring a separate iPod Touch or iPhone to control it makes it a much more expensive device than at first glance...
post #9 of 68
lets see support a competitor???
why not apple BUY netflix that makes more sense
apple has the muscle to make this happen doesn't need netflix
roku doesn't have apps,
everything has netflix streaming including new TV;s and bluray everything

isn't necessary, why garbage up ATV?
app store already has netflix (which on my 3g is buggy, slow, and crashes) as above states well
its another way of pushing stocks
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Too bad recent releases aren't available for streaming, period. While I like the Netflix streaming service, the selection so far is pitiful.

Haven't you heard? Streaming is the future! And in the future, we'll all just watch VHS-quality streams of unpopular movies no cable channel or broadcast network is willing to pay for the right to air. It'll be magical!
post #11 of 68
Wow, a "me too!" feature....<yawn>.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Haven't you heard? Streaming is the future! And in the future, we'll all just watch VHS-quality streams of unpopular movies no cable channel or broadcast network is willing to pay for the right to air. It'll be magical!

its already here and i have 156 channels to prove it

basically most families would do better with alacart cable or sat,
we watch perhaps 10 channels the rest is just to overcharge the consumer
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by troehl View Post

I think what this rumor is saying is that the iTV will be a small box running a version of iOS that will support apps. In other words, it won't by itself stream Netflix movies but I bet Netflix will have an app ready to go for the new device that will stream it's movies.

Think of it like an iPod Touch without the screen but with HDMI out. You will be able to buy/download apps and run them on your TV set. Take away the touch screen and battery and it's seems very reasonable to make the device for the rumored $100. The only real question is how the box will be controlled... I don't think an Apple Remote is going to cut it and requiring a separate iPod Touch or iPhone to control it makes it a much more expensive device than at first glance...

Maybe the 3cm touch screen that is rumored to be for the 6th gen iPod nano is actually for the new iTV remote?
post #14 of 68
Quote:

The quality of Netflix streaming is better than many of the digital cable channels...
post #15 of 68
Quote:

Will I be able to subscribe to that?
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The quality of Netflix streaming is better than many of the digital cable channels...

Agreed. Netflix HD streaming is good quality. It's not blu-ray but close enough for me...better than standard DVD.
post #17 of 68
It's looking likely that I will be proven wrong tomorrow, but I still find the ITV rumour fishy. Especially as it emanates from Bloomberg. Those looking for a disappointment may just have one.
post #18 of 68
Any rumors out there in the ethers regarding the status of current models of the device? With this new upgrade to a streaming model and different OS, will present AppleTVs be just another plastic and metal sculpture resting on the shelf of technological landfill?
post #19 of 68
Quote:

"Bitter, party of one."
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #20 of 68
I wonder if the current AppleTV will be upgradable to the new iOS? I think its an intel Atom inside
post #21 of 68
This Bloomberg piece has a good explanation of why the networks have been reluctant to provide content for a cable-killer subscription package:

Quote:
A subscription service with Apple would have jeopardized the TV networks chances of getting higher retransmission fees from TV-system operators, RBC Capitals Bank said. The four big broadcast networks -- Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC -- receive about $250 million a year in so-called retransmission fees industrywide, he said. That number will balloon to several billion dollars within five years, Bank said.

If youre running a TV network, you dont want to upset the existing ecosystem broadly by starting a rival subscription service with Apple, he said. You want to look for ways to drive incremental revenue.
post #22 of 68
1) This rumour, if true, would be more shocking if it didn’t happen. Netflix streaming and iTS video downloads do serve different purposes. If one argues that they crossover too much, I would ask if Apple cared about YouTube on iDevices and the AppleTV would kill music video purchases on the iTS.

2) I still can’t see how this could be $99 with Apple still getting their typical low-end net profit. I can see $150, but not $99, even with 720p as the maximum video output. If this rumour is true I will be anxious to see the internals.

3) Speaking of 720p, I have a heard time believing that even Apple would release a new AppleTV without 1080p, unless they also plan to release a flagship AppleTV with local storage, etc.

4) Still not seeing how iTV could work in the UK.

Hopefully we’ll get some answers tomorrow.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

"Bitter, party of one."

post #24 of 68
Is there any reason why the next round of iPods can't act as Apple TV's? Maybe there will be no specific ITV device. Thats one way to force adoption!

I do not own an Apple TV, and I know little about the product, so I'm guessing out loud here. Processors should be able to handle 1080p nowadays, strap a HDMI connector on an iPod and away ya go.
post #25 of 68
Quote:

It's a little weird that evert device in the house can stream Netflix: TV, Blu-ray, iPhone, iPad, computer, my watch, eyelids, ice dispenser... hell, even my dog will stream Netflix soon. Too bad most new releases aren't available when the DVD/BD is.

Yeah, Netflix streaming is a ripoff. Nothing interesting available. Simply a front for their mail-in service.

I guess they realized, after all, that the studios are not the easiest people in the world to negotiate with.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

This Bloomberg piece has a good explanation of why the networks have been reluctant to provide content for a cable-killer subscription package:
Quote:
A subscription service with Apple would have jeopardized the TV networks chances of getting higher retransmission fees from TV-system operators, RBC Capitals Bank said. The four big broadcast networks -- Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC -- receive about $250 million a year in so-called retransmission fees industrywide, he said. That number will balloon to several billion dollars within five years, Bank said.

If youre running a TV network, you dont want to upset the existing ecosystem broadly by starting a rival subscription service with Apple, he said. You want to look for ways to drive incremental revenue.

That is how I see it, too. There is surely a turning point but I think they need to tread lightly because these cable companies paying these huge fees to networks are also providing internet.
post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Is there any reason why the next round of iPods can't act as Apple TV's? Maybe there will be no specific ITV device. Thats one way to force adoption!

I do not own an Apple TV, and I know little about the product, so I'm guessing out loud here. Processors should be able to handle 1080p nowadays, strap a HDMI connector on an iPod and away ya go.

yep they could indeed. But how do you control your ipod since it cant wireless stream to the TV.

I can see an ipod with no screen and no battery for under 99$ easy. The problem is the remote, how can you package this with a multi-touch remote for 99$? Or maybe vanilla AppleTV will come with a cheap remote and multi-touch remote will be an option.
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Quote:

Agreed. Netflix HD streaming is good quality. It's not blu-ray but close enough for me...better than standard DVD.

'Digital' channels are not the same as HD channels, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

Standard DVD is just 480p, so that is not a great standard against which to judge Netflix streaming.
post #29 of 68
Apple needs to get this out quickly before GoogleTV so they can get head start in 3rd party app suport for their iOS based TV set-top platform. TV is the next big battleground for platform war!!! This will weaken the cable and satellite companies' ability control media. We have already seen what open platform mobile devices (iPhone and Android) have done for the telecom industry.
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishchild View Post

Apple needs to get this out quickly before GoogleTV so they can get head start in 3rd party app suport for their iOS based TV set-top platform.

Yes, I think Apple is not fully ready to bring this thing out but competition is forcing them too. Gotta love competition.
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Or maybe vanilla AppleTV will come with a cheap remote and multi-touch remote will be an option.

Or maybe with 50million iPhones in existence (or whatever the latest figure is ) they will just release an app.

Chances are most people who intend to buy an Apple TV probably own an iPhone, if not, like you say, sell a remote as an option.
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I am pretty sure my dog can stream netflix.

Why buy AppleTV when just about any el cheapo Blu-Ray player can? I'll need more reason than that.
A is A
A is A
post #33 of 68
Quote:

I can see an ipod with no screen and no battery for under 99$ easy. The problem is the remote, how can you package this with a multi-touch remote for 99$? Or maybe vanilla AppleTV will come with a cheap remote and multi-touch remote will be an option.

I would imagine that it would come with a basic IR remote, but allow you to use the appropriate iDevices to control the AppleTV via your LAN, just like it does now.

Quote:

Apple needs to get this out quickly before GoogleTV so they can get head start in 3rd party app suport for their iOS based TV set-top platform.

I think an SDK would be the killer feature to make an AppleTV a real product for Apple. I really hope theyve gone that route.
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Why buy AppleTV when just about any el cheapo Blu-Ray player can? I'll need more reason than that.

games... its a playstation with itunes and an app store. I can tell you if this is announced people are going to talk about it has a gaming console + TV.

imo 99$ for something that do all this is not bad.
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Or maybe with 50million iPhones in existence (or whatever the latest figure is ) they will just release an app.

Chances are most people who intend to buy an Apple TV probably own an iPhone, if not, like you say, sell a remote as an option.

Between the iPhone and iPod Touch there are about 100 million, and there has been an AppleTV app on the App Store from Apple for some time. It makes putting in searches quite easy.

However, there is one caveat to using this app. It has to be on the same LAN to work. If your AppleTV is using 802.11n and you had one of the previous iPhones that only had 802.11b/g then you were screwed, even if you had a dual-band AirPort Extreme Base Station. I hope they find a Wide Area Bonjour solution to this.
post #36 of 68
Quote:

Yes, I think Apple is not fully ready to bring this thing out but competition is forcing them too. Gotta love competition.

What makes you think that Apple is not "fully ready?" What does being "fully ready" mean, anyway?
post #37 of 68
Quote:

Apple needs to get this out quickly before GoogleTV so they can get head start in 3rd party app suport for their iOS based TV set-top platform. TV is the next big battleground for platform war!!! This will weaken the cable and satellite companies' ability control media. We have already seen what open platform mobile devices (iPhone and Android) have done for the telecom industry.

This is one of the big questions I have. Jobs talked pretty openly at the All Things Digital conference about the problem of creating yet another box to hook up to your TV. It's just not feasible from a business point of view to replace a set-top box so you have to create add on boxes often overlap and replicate functionality.

Hooking up all these boxes is a real pain also. The biggest thing I don't like about my Apple TV is that it takes me three remotes just to watch a movie on it. You have to change inputs and sources to get everything on the same page to watch what you want. It's also getting to the point where it takes a PhD to hook up a home theater system these days! How are they going to position the iTV that doesn't make it just another box?
post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope they find a Wide Area Bonjour solution to this.

Or just Bluetooth, messages shouldn't be data intensive so reasonably reliable at average viewer-TV distances .
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Digital' channels are not the same as HD channels, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

Standard DVD is just 480p, so that is not a great standard against which to judge Netflix streaming.

I get my HDTV through Comcast. Comcast compresses the transmission so much it's much less than Blu-ray quality and slightly better than standard DVD. Netflix HD via my Roku box compares favorably and is sometimes better than Comcast HDTV. For what it's worth.
post #40 of 68
Quote:

Roku will be bummed.

Yeah, from what I hear Roku has many neat features. One of them is the Netflix instant watch of course, but Facebook and Twitter integration as well. If the rumor about Netflix coming to AppleTV is true then maybe Roku will be put out to pasture.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New Apple TV with Netflix streaming to be unveiled Wednesday - report