or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

post #1 of 146
Apple has announced that it will provide a public, live stream of Wednesday's keynote, which will be made available via the company's HTTP Live Streaming open standard to Mac and iOS device users.

The Cupertino, Calif., company made the announcement as a media alert Tuesday evening. The live video stream will be available when the keynote begins Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, at apple.com.

"Apple will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple's industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards," the company said. "Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard, an iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad."

Apple used to provide a webcast of its keynote events, but stopped doing so in 2005. This week's apparent change of heart could have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.

Jobs asked members in the audience if they could turn off their Wi-Fi devices, but many did not comply, and Jobs was unable to demonstrate some of the features of the iPhone 4. Jobs revealed there were 570 Wi-Fi base stations within the auditorium.

Wednesday's keynote will be at a different location, San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. In addition to Apple's official live stream, AppleInsider will also have its own live coverage.
post #2 of 146
I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 146
This is wicked awesome. So is AI going to provide a live stream of the live stream for the poor unfortunate PC users?

--Sent from my iPad
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #4 of 146
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1704922] "Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard..."

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.
post #5 of 146
6pm in the UK?
post #6 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

It was a Wi-Fi problem. 570 base stations equals pollution.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #7 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

6pm in the UK?

Yes it is.
post #8 of 146
Anyone wondering why the stream will be available only on devices running 10.6 and iOS 3 and later? Could there be something new that is tailored to Apple operating systems? Why shut out the rest of the world? Interesting. Any ideas?
post #9 of 146
So, Apple Insider and a hundred other blogs will still have it's own live coverage, resulting an another 570 base stations? So, what will be different? BTW, since Apple is going live, why doesn't Apple Insider give Apple a break...offer an intelligent analysis after the event?
post #10 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Yes it is.

Cool! Thanks for the confirmation

I'm gonna have to try and sneak out of work early...
post #11 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has announced that it will provide a public, live stream of Wednesday's keynote, which will be made available via the company's HTTP Live Streaming open standard to Mac and iOS device users.

The Cupertino, Calif., company made the announcement as a media alert Tuesday evening. The live video stream will be available when the keynote begins Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, at apple.com.

"Apple will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple's industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards," the company said. "Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard, an iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad."

Apple used to provide a webcast of its keynote events, but stopped doing so in 2005. This week's apparent change of heart could have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.

Jobs asked members in the audience if they could turn off their Wi-Fi devices, but many did not comply, and Jobs was unable to demonstrate some of the features of the iPhone 4. Jobs revealed there were 570 Wi-Fi base stations within the auditorium.

Wednesday's keynote will be at a different location, San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. In addition to Apple's official live stream, AppleInsider will also have its own live coverage.

What the living HELL??????
post #12 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

Anyone wondering why the stream will be available only on devices running 10.6 and iOS 3 and later? Could there be something new that is tailored to Apple operating systems? Why shut out the rest of the world? Interesting. Any ideas?

Only three ideas here. (1) they need some HTML5 streaming codec that is currently only available on those OS's (2) they're just testing the system for the first event and will open it up in later events or (3) it's just Apple showing preference to its users.
post #13 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What the living HELL??????

Can I hear an amen?
post #14 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

Yup. Html 5 streaming which requires the latest version of safari.
post #15 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Can I hear an amen?

A M E N ! !

That was my unofficial request for a temporary insanity section.
post #16 of 146
I thought we would never return to these days. I will have to tune in now and I am OK limiting the users to basically iOS devices and 10.6 users.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #17 of 146
Quote:

You're the man.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #18 of 146
Get this......

This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.

Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!
post #19 of 146
Well, okay, I'll be hitting apple.com at 1pm. This should be interesting to see how it turns out.
post #20 of 146
(deleted)

nht (above) just answered my question.
post #21 of 146
Interesting that they should showcase live video streaming over HTML5 just after Flash becomes available for Android, and shows terrible performance. I'd bet a big part of their reasoning is to show the superiority of HTML5 video over flash for mobile devices
post #22 of 146
A quick wikipedia search reveals why iOS/Snow Leopard is required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

It is indeed an open standard (IETF internet draft), but the only client implementations so far are in QuickTime X and iOS v3 or later. If the tech works well tomorrow, expect more implementations in the future.
post #23 of 146
@ Olternaut: The streaming appears as HTTP downloads. You may have lucked out.

...darn, i mean to edit the other post...
post #24 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

A quick wikipedia search reveals why iOS/Snow Leopard is required: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

It is indeed an open standard (IETF internet draft), but the only client implementations so far are in QuickTime X and iOS v3 or later. If the tech works well tomorrow, expect more implementations in the future.

Open standard? Well doesn't any of the other browsers have this feature at least in a beta form?
post #25 of 146
Quote:

Yeah, after all... why we hear only about Stevo's wi-fi problem, weren't reporters also affected by the meldown? I followed four sites in parallel and never seen any issue
post #26 of 146
Quote:

Open standard? Well doesn't any of the other browsers have this feature at least in a beta form?

Given that browsers are only now getting basic HTML5 video support, probably not.
post #27 of 146
Quote:

Get this......

This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.

Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

well, it's http streaming so you may be able to watch it.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #28 of 146
Interesting. I would imagine the first thing people will think is this was brought on by the WiFi fiasco of the last event, but I don’t think so. That affected the recorded presentation. This is another wrench in the works.

What I think is Apple is finally going to try to put this open protocol more on the map by showcasing how well the event can stream from a single source across the globe. Well… I hope, because if they did not stress test their setup it will look bad all around. If it succeeds it could be a the silent market winner of the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.

HTTP Live Streaming is an open protocol Apple developed. It’s part of iOS which then became part of the QuickTime X engine. While we could argue that the decision to use this protocol was purposely limiting, the fact that only iOS 3.x+ and Mac OS X 10.6 support it is not artificial.

Quote:

Get this......

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

Not all internet streaming is created the same. It’s possible that your IT team has ignored this protocol as it’s still not widely used.

http://iphone.akamai.com/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #29 of 146
The rest of the internet during the keynote: NOW OBSOLETE!
post #30 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting. I would imagine the first thing people will think is this was brought on by the WiFi fiasco of the last event, but I don’t think so. That affected the recorded presentation. This is another wrench in the works.

What I think is Apple is finally going to try to put this open protocol more on the map by showcasing how well the event can stream from a single source across the globe. Well… I hope, because if they did not stress test their setup it will look bad all around. If it succeeds it could be a the silent market winner of the event.

HTTP Live Streaming is an open protocol Apple developed. It’s part of iOS which then became part of the QuickTime X engine. While we could argue that the decision to use this protocol was purposely limiting, the fact that only iOS 3.x+ and Mac OS X 10.6 support it is not artificial.

Not all internet streaming is created the same. It’s possible that your IT team has ignored this protocol as it’s still not widely used.

http://iphone.akamai.com/

Yeah, problem is though I don't think the correct Apple codec is installed. We're running PCs here at any rate....old ones too!

Don't worry....I have a plan! I'm going to clock out (*sigh* yes clock out) for lunch at 1pm eastern and run down to the lobby where there is a staples store with free wifi. I'll hang out there with my iPod touch for an hour.
post #31 of 146
Quote:

Yeah, problem is though I don't think the correct Apple codec is installed. We're running PCs here at any rate....old ones too!

Don't worry....I have a plan! I'm going to clock out (*sigh* yes clock out) for lunch at 1pm eastern and run down to the lobby where there is a staples store with free wifi. I'll hang out there with my iPod touch for an hour.

The only PCs that have access to HTTP Live Streaming are those running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. There might be some 3rd-party option since it is open, but its not part of Safari or QuickTime 7.x.
post #32 of 146
Quote:

Get this......

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

There's an very good chance they won't pick this up. The traffic will be going over HTTP and look like normal web traffic. Just keep quiet about it tomorrow and tune in and try your luck.

Quote:

Because they're lazy.
post #33 of 146
Live stream...must be good.

Extra coffee and popcorn; I am sooo staying up for this. Just hope that Steve announces that TV show and movie rentals are coming to Japan.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #34 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Because they're lazy.

For those that arent lazy and like stress, you can try this out
http://www.ioncannon.net/programming...rce-segmenter/
post #35 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

So, Apple Insider and a hundred other blogs will still have it's own live coverage, resulting an another 570 base stations? So, what will be different? BTW, since Apple is going live, why doesn't Apple Insider give Apple a break...offer an intelligent analysis after the event?

I'd expect that Apple would ask them to turn them off as they enter the room or maybe even jam the cells.

The live streaming is the carrot. Expect the stick.
post #36 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

well, it's http streaming so you may be able to watch it.

Well, probably not with this PC I'm running at work with IE7...yes 7...with no flash installed and no quicktime either.
It's locked down alright.

I'm going to go in the lobby where there is free wifi at the staples store and use my ipod touch. I'll hang out there for an hour.
post #37 of 146
Quote:

Well, probably not with this PC I'm running at work with IE7...yes 7...with no flash installed and no quicktime either.
It's locked down alright.

I'm going to go in the lobby where there is free wifi at the staples store and use my ipod touch. I'll hang out there for an hour.

I suggest you test that Akami site I posted in the morning before work to see if it works at all through their routers.
post #38 of 146
Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #39 of 146
Who wants to take bets that Apple's servers won't be able to handle the load? I predict that people will still stick to jizzmodo, engadget or any other site hosting a live blog once Apple's servers crash.
post #40 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!

If you are driving, can you stop at 1pm for a long lunch at a place with WiFi. Starbucks typically have great public WiFi speeds.

If you are not driving, will you have your iPhone with you and will there be AT&T data service on that part of the trip? so you can watch it?

Also, even if you are driving but cant stop, if you have your iPhone with you and some data access on AT&T you could listen to it. But I would assume there are others in the vehicle that may not be so keep to partake.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote