or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote - Page 2

post #41 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Yes it is.

No it's not. It's 5pm UK time, and 6pm western continental EU time, except Portugal which has the same time as UK.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #42 of 146
To those who are concerned about missing the live streaming, I'm sure that you'll be able to see the presentation later in the day through a link at the Apple site.
post #43 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Who wants to take bets that Apple's servers won't be able to handle the load? I predict that people will still stick to jizzmodo, engadget or any other site hosting a live blog once Apple's servers crash.

That is the question, but they do offload their work to many companies. It really has to be an outgoing stream that gets routed to select servers that then propagate it to other servers and/or suers as needed. While Im sure some may have issues this protocol is designed to be adaptive, so well see how a large scale test will work. For all we know this could make or break its adoption by the IETF and the tech world, or that is Apples plan, to get this protocol on the forefront of modern day streaming. After all, they already have 100M iOS devices that can use it and how ever many Macs running 10.6.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 146
No need to watch walls of text or listen to lame commentary from the liveblogs -- just get the info straight from the source
post #45 of 146
Two things:

1. They wouldn't suddenly change their tune and stream this event unless there was something big they wanted to unleash. I now believe the rumors that there will be something new besides iPods at this event.

2. Even if there is nothing more than an iTunes update, the streaming alone, if it goes well will spell the death of Flash. That very well may overshadow anything they announce. Either way, I'm very excited. Looks like they managed to surprise us after all.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #46 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're the man.

Antennagate doesn't affect Wi-Fi reception, geniuses.
post #47 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'd expect that Apple would ask them to turn them off as they enter the room or maybe even jam the cells.

I would like to see them "jam the cells". It is illegal so it would be fun to watch the fallout.
post #48 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!

Time in the White Mountains... almost as good as an Apple event. Had some good holidays there many years back.

Just pull a "we're going to stop for lunch now, I'm starving", add in a couple "have another desert"'s and enjoy Steve live.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #49 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

No it's not. It's 5pm UK time, and 6pm western continental EU time, except Portugal which has the same time as UK.

I was relying on the time difference shown at my iStat time zone reading. Five hour difference between East coast and UK:

post #50 of 146
Well, There's going to be something big, alright.
Apple does seem to want to make a point with this live streaming —*the press release is very "suspicious" in this regard.

This really seems related to Quicktime X / Facetime streaming technologies.
And Apple may want to prove how good this tech really is by using it on the event.
post #51 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Humm, if it's at 10:00 AM in San Francisco, California,
it's 06:00 PM in London (UK) and Lisbon (Portugal) time
and 07:00 PM in rest of the Western Europe Continental Time,

isn't it ?
post #52 of 146
Quote:

I'm still not convinced there actually was a WiFi "meltdown" at the iPhone 4 unveiling. What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

holding the phone wrong "supposedly causes loss of cell signal.. not WiFi dumbass.
post #53 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

A M E N ! !

That was my unofficial request for a temporary insanity section.

Whoooohaaaaaa I will dance to that...
post #54 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

holding the phone wrong "supposedly causes loss of cell signal.. not WiFi dumbass.

1) Am I the only one who thinks SpamSandwich was making a joke?

2) That brings up an interesting point. If the 3G Spot bridges between the cellular and WiFi antennas causing detuning then why isnt the WiFi antenna affected?
post #55 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

2. Even if there is nothing more than an iTunes update, the streaming alone, if it goes well will spell the death of Flash. That very well may overshadow anything they announce. Either way, I'm very excited. Looks like they managed to surprise us after all.

Much as I'd love to see html5 quickly take over from from Flash I don't see how Apple providing a video stream spells the death of Flash. You can do live streaming with Flash and it isn't doesn't restrict your audience to people with Safari on MacOS10.6 / iOS3.0 or higher. In fact Apple's move might strengthen Flash's position as it highlights how limited the audience is for the non-Flash alternative.
post #56 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple used to provide a webcast of its keynote events, but stopped doing so in 2005. This week's apparent change of heart could have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.

Was my first thought when I heard about this. Most sites still feature live coverage, which will include photos, text and chat. Which means there is still gonna be a lot of users and a lot of MyFis at the event. We'll see if a reduction in ustreaming will help though.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #57 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Much as I'd love to see html5 quickly take over from from Flash I don't see how Apple providing a video stream spells the death of Flash. You can do live streaming with Flash and it isn't doesn't restrict your audience to people with Safari on MacOS10.6 / iOS3.0 or higher. In fact Apple's move might strengthen Flash's position as it highlights how limited the audience is for the non-Flash alternative.

Totally. Steaming in quicktime is nothing new. In fact I think it streams even better then flash. As you stated though all the Win people have to download quicktime before they can watch, while flash does some magic autoinstall (at least in firefox) and flash installs much faster and in less steps then Quicktime for Win.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #58 of 146
[QUOTE=sideshowlol;1704944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard..."

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.

It should only require 10.5.8, unless there is a client library that is only delivered on 10.6 and up.
post #59 of 146
Quote:

Oh damn, I am driving home from the White Mountains in NH to Florida and will miss it!

You might luck out at the right truck stop (or might even get a 3G signal, believe it or not).

Where in the White Mountains? (If you're close to Concord/Manchester/Nashua around lunch time, you'll get excellent 3G reception).
post #60 of 146
Quote:

One argument the anti-Apple/pro-Flash advocates have had is that Adobe Flashs encryption will be a safer distribution model than HTML5 for content providers because Flash offers encryption while HTML5 does not. They are right, even if they are either being foolish and/or disingenuous with their comment as It makes no sense to add encryption to HTML standard.

HTTP Live Streaming can transmit encrypted content which can be linked from simple <audio> and <video> tags.
When a key file is listed in the index file, the key file contains a cipher key that must be used to decrypt subsequent media files listed in the index file. Currently HTTP Live Streaming supports AES-128 encryption using 16-octet keys. The format of the key file is a packed array of these 16 octets in binary format.
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...Streaming.html For this reason, a success with HTTP Live Streaming tomorrow could be the beginning of awareness that there are other methods for streaming content securely. Many of these large companies are already aware of HTTP Live Streaming for iOS devices, but they may see it as an option for desktop OSes, too. However, there seems to be little effort from 3rd-parties to add it to Windows so unless Apple comes out with a new version of QuickTime for Windows that offers HTTP Live Streaming it may be a long time before its even remotely viable for Windows users.
post #61 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Totally. Steaming in quicktime is nothing new. In fact I think it streams even better then flash. As you stated though all the Win people have to download quicktime before they can watch, while flash does some magic autoinstall (at least in firefox) and flash installs much faster and in less steps then Quicktime for Win.

It isn't just html5video Apple is using. They are using HTTP Live Streaming. Apple has put it forward as a open standard but right now it only works on Snow Leopard and only in Safari (Chrome will not work) or on iOS3+. If you have a Windows PC no browser will enable you to watch the live feed, not even Safari for Windows.
post #62 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Get this......

This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.

Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

Why don't you just watch on an iPhone. HTTP Live Streaming should work fine over 3G. They may not have this form of streaming blocked too. Kinda hard to block something that is plain old HTTP (unless they block apple.com).
post #63 of 146
Quote:

In addition to iPhones, you could use a 3G iPad. There's 3G coverage along i-95 except for a continuous dead stretch between Richmond and Jacksonville.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #64 of 146
Quote:

It isn't just html5video Apple is using. They are using HTTP Live Streaming. Apple has put it forward as a open standard but right now it only works on Snow Leopard and only in Safari (Chrome will not work) or on iOS3+. If you have a Windows PC no browser will enable you to watch the live feed, not even Safari for Windows.

Really? I thought http streaming was baked into quicktime. Thanks for pointing that out, let's hope it comes over to Windows side as soon as possible.

Edit: I guess is only baked into QTX, which has not made it over to Win yet.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #65 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

In addition to iPhones, you could use a 3G iPad. There's 3G coverage along i-95 except for a continuous dead stretch between Richmond and Jacksonville.

hehe I thought you were going to say except for a continuous dead stretch between Miami, Florida and the Canadian border in Maine.
post #66 of 146
Quote:

This isn't strictly HTML5 streaming. Apple has their own extensions to HTML5 video called HTTP Live streaming. It was created for live video. It was also created to be friendlier to AT&Ts network with automatic bit rate switching then alternatives. HTML5 allows for multiple bit rates, but I don't think it can automatically switch between them if network bandwidth degrades.

This also isn't Quicktime Streaming Server... someone else seemed confused by this. So no support in Quicktime 7 which is used on Windows and OS X 10.5 and earlier.
post #67 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This isn't strictly HTML5 streaming. Apple has their own extensions to HTML5 video called HTTP Live streaming. It was created to make streams that are friendly to AT&Ts network. This was mainly created for the iPhone. HTML5 video has wider support and is improving quickly. Especially now that Firefox has no excuse not to support it.

This also isn't Quicktime Streaming Server... someone else seemed confused by this.

1) HTML5 doesnt offer streaming. It offers media tags that other services can utilize.
2) HTTP Live Streaming isnt an Apple service.
3) Mozilla has been supporting HTML5 and the HTML5 media tags for a long time now. What they dont support is the MPEG-LA H.264 codec.
4) I think youre right that it was born out of a need for variable streaming on cellular networks, but its definitely a useful tool for the web in general. Its the most adaptive and versatile efficient streaming method Ive seen and its open to all. I have to wonder now if QuickTime will be getting a major overhaul for Windows tomorrow.
post #68 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) HTML5 doesn’t offer streaming. It offers media tags that other services can utilize.
2) HTTP Live Streaming isn’t an Apple service.
3) Mozilla has been supporting HTML5 and the HTML5 media tags for a long time now. What they don’t support is the MPEG-LA H.264 codec.
4) I think you’re right that it was born out of a need for variable streaming on cellular networks, but it’s definitely a useful tool for the web in general. It’s the most adaptive and versatile efficient streaming method I’ve seen and it’s open to all. I have to wonder now if QuickTime will be getting a major overhaul for Windows tomorrow.

HTML5 video does offer streaming. It just doesn't offer live streaming.

In fact the streaming support is tied to HTTP 1.1 features that allow the web client to "seek" to any position in a file hosted on the server. It was originally created to resume downloads. All modern web servers support this feature, so HTML5 video sorta gets streaming for free since web servers do not need to add support for this. Web clients need support, but I think all clients that support HTML5 video can do this.
post #69 of 146
Quote:

HTML5 video does offer streaming. It is just limited to a fixed bit rate, so Apple came up with HTTP Live Streaming to better support switching between edge, 3G, and broadband.

Interesting. I was not aware. Do you have any links so i can educate myself on the codecs and bitrate it does support for streaming? I thought it was limited to media tags that didn’t discriminate against such things.

Quote:
In fact the streaming support is tied to HTTP 1.1 features that allow the web client to "seek" to any position in a file hosted on the server. It was originally created to resume downloads. All modern web servers support this feature, so HTML5 video sorta gets streaming for free since web servers do not need to add support for this. Web clients need support, but I think all clients that support HTML5 video can do this.

That I’m aware of.
post #70 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting. I was not aware. Do you have any links so i can educate myself on the codecs and bitrate it does support for streaming? I thought it was limited to media tags that didn’t discriminate against such things.

That I’m aware of.

Obviously it HTML5 video supports (at least) H.264. Single bit rate was a little bit of an over simplification. It supports multiple codecs and bit rates, just not automatic switching between them when bandwidth changes. I'm not sure if that is a real limitation or just that web browsers have not done anything about it yet. The main advantage to HTTP Live Streaming is that it can switch on demand. It is also capable of live feeds but I don't know if any server side software exists for this yet but Apple obviously has something. I don't think HTML5 video can do live feeds... but I may be wrong.

HTTP Live Streaming docs:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...roduction.html
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

That shut them up.

Thank you.
post #72 of 146
Will Apple still post a video of the event on Apple.com later on?
post #73 of 146
Quote:

Obviously it HTML5 video supports (at least) H.264. Single bit rate was a little bit of an over simplification. It supports multiple codecs and bit rates, just not automatic switching between them when bandwidth changes. The main advantage to HTTP Live Streaming is that it can switch on demand. It is also capable of live feeds but I don't know if any server side software exists for this yet. I don't think HTML5 video can do live feeds... but I may be wrong.

HTTP Live Streaming docs:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...roduction.html

1) Youve lost me again. When I read support followed by the naming of a specific codec or protocol I interpret that as support for that specific codec or protocol with clear documentation of how its supported in the white papers. I already stated that the HTML5 media tags doesnt support for any one codec or group of codecs.. and for good reason. WebKit-based browsers and IE9 support H.264 codec in the browser, Firefox does not, but they all support HTML5 media tags.

2) That looks like the link I provided in post #60.
post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_Fan_Boy View Post

Will Apple still post a video of the event on Apple.com later on?

They always do, so I assume they will.

post #75 of 146
So what's the user agent for Safari on a Mac running 10.6?
post #76 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Good luck with that as it's not the issue....
post #77 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Code:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.1 Safari/533.17.8

But as stated several times the limitation is not artificial. Only 10.6 and iOS v3.0 or later have support for HTTP Live Streaming.
post #78 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

"Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard..."

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.

Haven't you heard? PPC Macs don't support "open standards" muah ha ha ha ha

As for me, I will be snuggled nicely in bed with mah iPad woots
post #79 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

There's an very good chance they won't pick this up. The traffic will be going over HTTP and look like normal web traffic. Just keep quiet about it tomorrow and tune in and try your luck.

Because they're lazy.

Wait, but what is this thing about it only viewable on mac and ios devices? I'm not running safari on my work pc but IE7 without flash and no quicktime.
I think it's safe to say that I'm going to have to watch it on my ipod touch where there is wifi.
Unless someone says something different.
post #80 of 146
Quote:

What was Steve's hand position when he lost the signal?

I would say giving the audience the bird.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote