or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iOS 4.2 for iPad coming in November, adds wireless printing and Air Play
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 4.2 for iPad coming in November, adds wireless printing and Air Play

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday showed off iOS 4.2 for the iPad, including folders, multitasking, support for wireless printing, and streaming of audio, video and photos through the new Air Play feature.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs showed off the new printing capabilities in iOS 4.2. When printing, tasks will be included in the "Print Center" icon in the multitasking bar, accessed by double tapping the Home button.

Jobs showed off the ability to include multiple icons in folders, as can be done with iOS 4 on the iPhone and iPod touch. He also showed off the multitasking capabilities that will come with the new software.

Jobs also mentioned that Air Tunes has become Air Play, which will allow users to stream audio, video and photos over Wi-Fi.

post #2 of 35
November!
post #3 of 35
Spectacular!!
post #4 of 35
Yay! New stuff for the iPad!
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
Reply
post #5 of 35
Of course November just in time for the holiday season\
post #6 of 35
It wasn't really clear if the 4.2 update will be available for other iOS devices in November as well. He said that you'd be able to stream from your iOS device at one point and didn't specify iPad only, so I assume it will. However, he seemed to be having an off day and misspoke a few things.
post #7 of 35
Why is Apple fragmenting iOS? I thought they avoided that sort of foolishness.
post #8 of 35
now my issue will there be a developer beta/build of 4.2 for iPad for the Registered Developers?
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why is Apple fragmenting iOS? I thought they avoided that sort of foolishness.

Because they have to.

iPhone/iPad are somewhat different and merging the two OSs takes some time. Even more so, since the iPad was super secret, and even most members of the iPhone team didn't have access to it during development.

Yes, they could have taken their time to do the merging of the two featuresets in advance, but then, they would have delayed the iPad launch.

Oh, and it's not really fragmented from an end user perspective: apps made for iPhone can run on both, and iPhone/iPad hybrid apps are also possible.

Still, 4.2 will probably be the converging release. Who said otherwise?
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why is Apple fragmenting iOS? I thought they avoided that sort of foolishness.

Making releases monolithic increases risk of a blown schedule. My guess is that they had originally hoped that iOS 4.1 would go to the iPad but a few months ago realized it wasn't going to happen and branched it so they wouldn't risk the iPod release.

It's pretty clear the new Nano runs iOS, and I'd bet dollars to donuts the AppleTV runs iOS, but neither of them even have an app store (yet?). So Apple's just trying to minimize risk to the release schedule and product integrity.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs also mentioned that Air Tunes has become Air Play, which will allow users to stream audio, video and photos over Wi-Fi.

Don't mean to sound anal butt - on the slides it said AirPlay not Air Play. Makes more sense when you try to trademark it (if its at all possible).
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Because they have to.

iPhone/iPad are somewhat different and merging the two OSs takes some time. Even more so, since the iPad was super secret, and even most members of the iPhone team didn't have access to it during development.

They explicitly said the 4.2 November release is for all iOS devices.
post #13 of 35
What I'd really like out of iOS for iPad is a better way to sync files. I just find iTunes so utterly klunky. Apps that have their own wi-fi interface are great but this should be a system service, not something you have to pray a developer will include.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

What I'd really like out of iOS for iPad is a better way to sync files. I just find iTunes so utterly klunky. Apps that have their own wi-fi interface are great but this should be a system service, not something you have to pray a developer will include.

That plug it in and let it sync is so damn clunky.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why is Apple fragmenting iOS? I thought they avoided that sort of foolishness.

They're not fragmenting the OS. They're trying to merge them, takes a little time. I believe he said iOS 4.2 will be available for all devices.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #16 of 35
Yes, when you transfer files between multiple computers, it's klunky. Waiting for apps to sync is klunky. Being unable to transfer files to any instance of iTunes other than the one you sync that single iThing to is klunky.
post #17 of 35
I want to know if the printing feature is system wide (Safari and Apps) or is it just for iWork apps only. We just got a iPad and sometimes my wife has to print out coupons from websites. Is it going to work for that or not?
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

I want to know if the printing feature is system wide (Safari and Apps) or is it just for iWork apps only. We just got a iPad and sometimes my wife has to print out coupons from websites. Is it going to work for that or not?

Yes! No! Yes!
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

I want to know if the printing feature is system wide (Safari and Apps) or is it just for iWork apps only. We just got a iPad and sometimes my wife has to print out coupons from websites. Is it going to work for that or not?

I thought I saw an extra icon in safari near the bookmark button? Maybe printing is possible from Safari.

I was hoping for iPhone/iPad tethering
post #20 of 35
Tethering, if made available, would cost you a monthly fee from ATT, and force you to drop your unlimited data.
post #21 of 35
They aren't. The video states that iOS 4.2 will be available for ALL iDevices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why is Apple fragmenting iOS? I thought they avoided that sort of foolishness.
post #22 of 35
Did anyone notice that when he said that iOS 4.2 would have everything that 4.1 will have, he also mentionned HDR photo? Does that mean that a camera is coming to the iPad?
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Because they have to.

iPhone/iPad are somewhat different and merging the two OSs takes some time. Even more so, since the iPad was super secret, and even most members of the iPhone team didn't have access to it during development.

Yes, they could have taken their time to do the merging of the two featuresets in advance, but then, they would have delayed the iPad launch.

Oh, and it's not really fragmented from an end user perspective: apps made for iPhone can run on both, and iPhone/iPad hybrid apps are also possible.

Still, 4.2 will probably be the converging release. Who said otherwise?



Interesting. You make a lot of sense.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

Yes, when you transfer files between multiple computers, it's klunky. Waiting for apps to sync is klunky. Being unable to transfer files to any instance of iTunes other than the one you sync that single iThing to is klunky.

Totally.

If you could just simply drag and drop a couple of files instead of doing a whole nine yards sync, it would be great.

But Apple is App-centric rather than Object-centric, so that is unlikely to ever happen. The software is the central focus, not the data. You open data with an app. You don't have an app open automatically when you choose the data.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitreug View Post

Did anyone notice that when he said that iOS 4.2 would have everything that 4.1 will have, he also mentionned HDR photo? Does that mean that a camera is coming to the iPad?

I caught that too. It is hard to tell.
post #26 of 35
Overdue but very welcome! Woot!
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

What I'd really like out of iOS for iPad is a better way to sync files. I just find iTunes so utterly klunky. Apps that have their own wi-fi interface are great but this should be a system service, not something you have to pray a developer will include.

This was the only real disappointment for me - no wifi sync \

I didn't really expect it, but those stupid rumors got my hopes up
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I caught that too. It is hard to tell.

I saw (and tweeted) that. Steve wasn't having his best day, so you could either interpret it as Steve accidentally including random features of iOS 4.1 that aren't going to be available, or accidentally including it in the list because iPad is getting a camera. I would be slightly inclined to say the latter...
post #29 of 35
No iOS in nano.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Making releases monolithic increases risk of a blown schedule. My guess is that they had originally hoped that iOS 4.1 would go to the iPad but a few months ago realized it wasn't going to happen and branched it so they wouldn't risk the iPod release.

It's pretty clear the new Nano runs iOS, and I'd bet dollars to donuts the AppleTV runs iOS, but neither of them even have an app store (yet?). So Apple's just trying to minimize risk to the release schedule and product integrity.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

now my issue will there be a developer beta/build of 4.2 for iPad for the Registered Developers?

They will release a beta for developers. They didn't set a date but I am sure they have to. There is work to be done on the developers side to make sure that 4.2 features work on the iPad.
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbytee View Post

No iOS in nano.

What do you think it is then? Are you suggesting that Apple replicated most of the look and behavior of iOS in the Pixio OS? I think it's a lot more plausible that Apple is using parts of iOS to implement this, than make Pixio look like iOS and add touch screen functionality to Pixio.
post #32 of 35
:'( running iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4 and the Prox Sensor issue continues :'( thought was suppose to be fixed :'(
post #33 of 35
Things just keep getting better with Apple.
post #34 of 35
I can't wait to have my iPad be upgraded with this iOS 4.2. The hundred new features and enhancement would surely make iPad the coolest gadget in the whole world. The idea is simply awesome playing your most favorite movie in your iPad and having it streamed over Wifi to your friend's Apple Tv and shown right in his living room. We just have to wait til november for this to come to reality. http://bit.ly/cdkS2R
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What do you think it is then? Are you suggesting that Apple replicated most of the look and behavior of iOS in the Pixio OS? I think it's a lot more plausible that Apple is using parts of iOS to implement this, than make Pixio look like iOS and add touch screen functionality to Pixio.

Apple did do something a bit similar though by replicating the old AppleTV interface on top of the new AppleTV's iOS core. It may be more of a stopgap measure though to allow them to ship the new units right away while figuring out how best to replace the interface with something a bit more familiar to iOS users. I can't imagine what that will look like, but the new AppleTV of today really seems more like the opening salvo in something much bigger.

And let's not forget that while iOS shares its roots with MacOS X, the very lowest levels of the OS had to be rewritten and compiled for the ARM core, which has a different fundamental architecture than Intel x86/x64. It stands to reason then that Apple can choose to rewrite/recompile for any number of architectures while duplicating the look/feel of a previous architecture.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iOS 4.2 for iPad coming in November, adds wireless printing and Air Play
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iOS 4.2 for iPad coming in November, adds wireless printing and Air Play