or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces iTunes 10 with Ping social network
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces iTunes 10 with Ping social network

post #1 of 106
Thread Starter 
The next version of iTunes, available today, includes Ping, a social music discovery tool that allows users to follow friends and artists, helping customers to discover and share new music.

"It's sort of like Facebook and Twitter meet iTunes," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said of the entirely new Ping service. He described it as a social network all about music, built in to the new iTunes, now available for download.

The product is based on discovery, allowing users to see what their friends are listening to and what concerts they're going to.

Users can choose to "follow" artists, as well as their friends, and iTunes will populate a customized top 10 list that represents what their friends are downloading. Users can also see concerts that are coming near them, and inform their friends that they will be attending.

Ping will be open to over 160 million customers, who can sign up immediately. It will also be available to iPhone and iPod touch users through the existing iTunes Store.



iTunes 10 will also ship with a new logo, which Jobs joked reflects the fact that by next Spring, Apple is expected to surpass all CD sales in the U.S. The new iTunes logo dispenses of the CD that was previously featured, and only includes a musical note.



Jobs also demonstrated a new "hybrid" view within iTunes 10, which automatically displays album art when there are five or more tracks from the same record.



"iTunes is the number one music community in the world, with over 160 million iTunes users in 23 countries, and now were adding social networking with Ping," Jobs said in a press release. "With Ping you can follow your favorite artists and friends and join a worldwide conversation with musics most passionate fans."

post #2 of 106
Ping.... Bing... Really?

It's good to see that Apple is finally adopting a few of the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking features, though admittedly, iTunes is looking in serious need of an aesthetic makeover, especially when compared to the elegance of MS' Zune Marketplace.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 106
Otherwise known as last.fm.

- Jasen.
post #4 of 106
Available today when? Nothing so far.
post #5 of 106
So that's why lady gaga was at apple hq!!
post #6 of 106
Yea correlation to Bing was funny to hear. I think it will be mildly sucessful, though integration with Twitter would have been more sucessful.

It is very well made, but that is not the key to sucess of a social site. If the competition is "mainstream" twitter or facebook it won;t be as sucessful. If the competition is only more fringe Last.fm or Lala I would say it will compete really well.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #7 of 106
don't download yet.

the link to DL IT10 is still downloading 9.2.1
post #8 of 106
I look at Ping as a stealth assault on Facebook. Start with music-centric socializing then you hook game center into it then add pictures, games a litlle video and soon it's got everything Facebook offers. Without the ethically rudderless sociopath management at the helm.

I said it before, pretty soon our whole lives will be run through iTunes. Some will say that's horrible. I'd say better iTunes than Facebook. I have far, far more faith in Steve Jobs' ethics than Mark Zuckerberg's, the mayor of Suckersburg (Where dumb f*ck suckers go to get screwed.)
post #9 of 106
I don't see Ping being as successful as Steve thinks it'll be because it constitutes another place people have to go online. People have enough options already- twitter, facebook, etc.- and many people have kind of reached their social networking limit as it is. To ask users to break out of their now-established habits and go to another location that will also itself demand active usage is asking too much, I think. If Ping were to work in an integrated way with sites a good core of people already use (facebook), then I think its chances for success would be better. But as it is, a self-contained, totally new social network won't be as accepted as Steve is hoping.
post #10 of 106
A Facebook competitor eh? Might be a preemptive strike by Apple in knowing that Facebook and Google will do the same in the future.
post #11 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I said it before, pretty soon our whole lives will be run through iTunes.

why it's still called iTunes is beyond me. it's music, movies, podcasts, tv shows, books, apps and [shudder] ringtones.
post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yea correlation to Bing was funny to hear. I think it will be mildly sucessful, though integration with Twitter would have been more sucessful.

It is very well made, but that is not the key to sucess of a social site. If the competition is "mainstream" twitter or facebook it won;t be as sucessful. If the competition is only more fringe Last.fm or Lala I would say it will compete really well.

No, they want this to be something fairly normal, not ridiculously stupid (Twitter).
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

A Facebook competitor eh? Might be a preemptive strike by Apple in knowing that Facebook and Google will do the same in the future.

Nope, try reading first, eh?
post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

I don't see Ping being as successful as Steve thinks it'll be because it constitutes another place people have to go online. People have enough options already- twitter, facebook, etc.- and many people have kind of reached their social networking limit as it is. To ask users to break out of their now-established habits and go to another location that will also itself demand active usage is asking too much, I think. ....

With 160 million paying users, the iTunes audience is off to a very good start, even if its a fraction of the Facebook half billion. I think that this will be the basis for strong Apple based social network to which they will add services over time and that will only build more brand loyalty and stickiness down the road. Only surprised that they didn't do this at least a year ago.
post #15 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

why it's still called iTunes is beyond me. it's music, movies, podcasts, tv shows, books, apps and [shudder] ringtones.

I read that question not so long ago and saw a very good and simple answer:
It would be madness to switch to a new name from one that's so very established as a brand and so strongly recognized as one of Apples core products.
post #16 of 106
I was thinking the same thing - a stealth assault on FaceBook. That would be neat
post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

With 160 million paying users, the iTunes audience is off to a very good start, even if its a fraction of the Facebook half billion. I think that this will be the basis for strong Apple based social network to which they will add services over time and that will only build more brand loyalty and stickiness down the road. Only surprised that they didn't do this at least a year ago.

But my point was how many of those 160 million users with accounts on other social networks (myself included) will want yet another place to go online in their precious spare time? Of course there will be millions of Ping users, but I don't think it'll be as many millions as Apple is hoping unless they open it up and integrate it with other services that people use and are accustomed to.
post #18 of 106
Not sure of how much I'll use Ping. It seems to only pimp stuff you bought via iTunes. Not a fan--but then, my Facebook account is pretty locked down too so I may not be in the target audience here.
post #19 of 106
will Ping be fully available on iTunes for the iPhone/touch/iPad too? that is the key. as was obvious today, the iPod touch is taking over the PMP/PGP market and Ping would drive the nails into the competition's coffins.
post #20 of 106
...is iTunes 10 on OS X 10.6 64 bit yet?
post #21 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

With 160 million paying users, the iTunes audience is off to a very good start, even if its a fraction of the Facebook half billion. I think that this will be the basis for strong Apple based social network to which they will add services over time and that will only build more brand loyalty and stickiness down the road. Only surprised that they didn't do this at least a year ago.

What about families that share iTunes accounts? They'll have to create another user? I don't know any of the details, but it seems a little messy. I'd say tons of people have shared iTunes accounts.

The move away from music DRM helps a little, but if your Ping identity is tied to your iTunes account it could be something of a hassle.
post #22 of 106
They seem to be starting with the assumption that there are millions of songs out there, far too many to look through, so how can we help people find something they will like? First they came up with Genius, and now this. And I think, for once, it might actually be a useful application of social networks.

However I think young people are insecure about themselves, and they use social networks to constantly compare themselves with others, to confirm they are not a freak.

In this context (hundreds of thousands of insecure people talking to each other), will any of them actually dare to stick their head out and recommend something? Or will they all just buy the top 10 to be safe?
post #23 of 106
I actually DON'T see Ping as a facebook competitor. I see it as Apple trying to sell more music by making music easier for people who aren't music geeks to find (I am a music geek and proudly so).

I also see Ping as Apple trying to get more people to use iTunes and the iTunes store via word of mouth. It could turn into brilliant marketing, really.

The more Apple can connect people to iTunes and the iTunes store, the greater the odds people will buy music that way. That's what Ping is all about. I think it makes perfect sense.
post #24 of 106
What's up with the UI? They seemed to have gotten rid of all color (everything is gray).

And, what's with the window buttons? They're now vertical on the left side? That just looks weird.
post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by initiator View Post

What's up with the UI? They seemed to have gotten rid of all color (everything is gray).

And, what's with the window buttons? They're now vertical on the left side? That just looks weird.

I was going to say the same thing. The Window widgets are a surprising departure from the established Mac UI. I wonder why Apple did this.
post #26 of 106
Me.com makes a lot more since being tied to a social network. And I'm sure the $billion server facility will have a play in the social as well. This is how a well planned social network comes together. I see a future where we can all easily be as social as we want, without the poor UI, spam, and annoying game invites that we have all grown numb to.
post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I read that question not so long ago and saw a very good and simple answer:
It would be madness to switch to a new name from one that's so very established as a brand and so strongly recognized as one of Apples core products.

I agree. That and the fact that the logical name for the software "iLife" is already taken by another Apple product. Apple just really didn't think far enough in advance to see how their simply audio app would morph into a whole ecosystem of different content.
post #28 of 106
More people will download iTunes which will mean millions more accounts which will result in more music, movies and app downloads. Word of mouth on facebook and twitter will help Ping to grow. Marketing throuth Artist, etc. I can see it now.... "Follow me on Ping"!
post #29 of 106
I liked the post of 2oh1. Its realy a question of perspective when you are trying to perceive ping and to attached value.
Optimistically speaking, they are trying to expand and evolve music as field of interest, a structure of society or whatever one would call music. It's like biology, just evolve by making as much as possible connections in the field, out of the field, and inside the field itself, afterward, kill all ineffective and evolve the effective ones.
Ping was a logical step in order to bring people closer to their favorite musicians, closer to their affiliates, musically wise and closer to music itself.
But one can also mix some pessimistic and malicious ideas into the perception of ping, as one can do in everything.
In the end, you probably wont know it for sure, ever.
post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I actually DON'T see Ping as a facebook competitor. I see it as Apple trying to sell more music by making music easier for people who aren't music geeks to find (I am a music geek and proudly so).

It's funny though, that Steve was slamming non-Hollywood movies as amateur hour, but at the same time promoting Ping, which is like critic amateur-hour. A more traditional alternative to Ping would be to have professional music geeks review each new song and have a top-reviewed chart.
post #31 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

don't download yet.

the link to DL IT10 is still downloading 9.2.1

At 2:03 Central time it says "iTunes 10 coming soon! Download 9 now!".

Hey guys, don't miss that today deadline Steve announced or risk the wrath of Jobs.

When a release is scheduled at Apple it seems like it always goes down to the wire and the various managers are running around working out last minutes details and gathering signatures (process description may be a bit dated since I was there but still rather harried I understand).
post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ping.... Bing... Really?

iTunes is looking in serious need of an aesthetic makeover, especially when compared to the elegance of MS' Zune Marketplace.

160 million iTunes account holders have voted with their wallet to make your opinion wrong, yet again, (this seems to be a trend) while making it the #1 online media store in the world.

You continually vote with your mouth to make MS' Zune Marketplace exactly what it's always been (to reference The Beatles) ..... Nowhere Man.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

But my point was how many of those 160 million users with accounts on other social networks (myself included) will want yet another place to go online in their precious spare time? Of course there will be millions of Ping users, but I don't think it'll be as many millions as Apple is hoping unless they open it up and integrate it with other services that people use and are accustomed to.

Well if people are already going into iTunes, how big of a nuisance would it be to quickly jump to their Ping page to check stuff out. The whole point is really about discovering and sharing music. So, think of it as being a different type of store front, not so much another social site.

I was actually expecting them to add some kind of FaceBook integration, but I guess they decided to have at it themselves. I supposed it's easier to integrate "click to buy" into their own social site, then it would be to try and shoehorn it into FaceBook.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #34 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

why it's still called iTunes is beyond me. it's music, movies, podcasts, tv shows, books, apps and [shudder] ringtones.

Hmm, you've never heard the term "brand recognition" before, huh?

But you HAVE heard the term "iTunes". And that's exactly the point.

Does it even matter that it is not confined to music anymore?

Does it challenge anyone mentally? "iTunes has books and apps? Who knew!".
post #35 of 106
Ping seems like a Facebook & Last.fm hybrid. What I don't understand (OK, maybe I do) is why it's tied to iTunes? It could just as easily be accessed via any web browser. But I suppose the point isn't to be generally useful, but to drive people into iTunes where they will buy music & whatever else iTunes has for sale.

I don't use iTunes much other than to archive CDs, so I'm not the target audience. iTunes is just not an app I "hang out in", unlike a web browser. Maybe there's enough heavy users of iTunes to make Ping viable.

- Jasen.
post #36 of 106
Seems there could be an issue with the release of iTunes 10.

The iTunes download page is still offering iTunes 9 with a message "iTunes 10 - Coming Soon".

Strange message to put up, "Coming Soon", it is is being released today!
post #37 of 106
When Steve was explaining about 'All the social network thing', there was't any enthusiasm in his voice. It's like he saying --- " Dumb! You know how it works. It's Twitter from Apple, well, polished. "
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
post #38 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Ping seems like a Facebook & Last.fm hybrid. What I don't understand (OK, maybe I do) is why it's tied to iTunes? It could just as easily be accessed via any web browser. But I suppose the point isn't to be generally useful, but to drive people into iTunes where they will buy music & whatever else iTunes has for sale.

I don't use iTunes much other than to archive CDs, so I'm not the target audience. iTunes is just not an app I "hang out in", unlike a web browser. Maybe there's enough heavy users of iTunes to make Ping viable.

- Jasen.

It will be web accessible.
post #39 of 106
In my enthusiasm for trying iTunes 10, I downloaded AND reinstalled 9.2.1
Can't wait to try Ping!
post #40 of 106
I dont want a new social network or care aboy showing people wht i listen to. and I dont care about "following" artists. Somehow I feel as if I am kissing their a$$ by doing that.
What I want is for my itunes to sync and manage my music. AND to share my playlist through MY network to my iPhone. Is this possible yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces iTunes 10 with Ping social network