or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV - Page 6

post #201 of 379
It is only a matter or time before this aTV is hacked so you can stream files from your Airport at home (like I do now), run Boxee faster (like I do now) and even connect a HD, Keyboard and mouse. I do not think he mentioned if it is running iOS or a modified version of OSX like the current aTV (which is my guess).

I'll get it because once hacked, it will be an upgrade to what I have now. I only get basic cable and Boxee, Netflix or rip the movies I want to see. I only need basic cable to see the news (and ESPN) anyway.

Rippey
post #202 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I don't have a problem with that. My Apple TV is 3 years old - technology goes obsolete unfortunately.

No, what I mean is there's absolutely no reason to purchase a new Apple TV if you already own one. I'll update my post to be more clear.
post #203 of 379
Quote:

That person can't be that ignorant. They want $99 after tax. We don't even get $99 after tax. They can deal with it.
post #204 of 379
Jailbreak + airplay. Nuff said.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #205 of 379
Pre-order placed.

The price point is right, the device is small and tight, its got the A4 processor and is most likely running iOS internally. Steve was still very clear that this remains a hobby for Apple... in my opinion that's because they haven't opened it up to 3rd party apps yet. That Netflix is there, however, leaves some hope for added content channels in the future (i.e. apps). The hardware is capable, its up to Apple to open it up. The AppleTV is a bit like the first iPhone was. Will they open it up with a full blown AppStore? I don't know, but they might keep it semi-closed and bring in 3rd party developers on a case-by-case basis, Netflix being the first example.

All the complaining in this thread (well, most of it anyhow) really just demonstrates how complex a market this device falls into. Everyone has their own idea of what they want in a device, and any company putting a product into the market has to choose what they are going to build, weigh the tradeoffs of each hardware/software feature, and figure out how to explain it to the consumer. Apple does a better job of these things that most, and they have a large installed base of potential users already living in their eco-system. I think this new device will do well... their hobby will step up to the next level, but remains a "hobby".
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #206 of 379
Does it allow to stream content via an itunes library on a nas (attached via ethernet to the apple tv)? That would be the killer feature for me.

Still it does look great and is priced very, very attractively.
post #207 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

The biggest keys for me are the following:

For TV:
I have cable and pay through the nose for it. However I rarely watch it, but liked the ability to watch things when I wanted. With AppleTV I can bypass the cable subscription and rent just what I want to watch and save money in the process. Cool. The biggest question is "When are the other TV studios going to step up?"

See, that's what I don't get. All these people suggesting they'll be able to drop cable now? What about live TV (yes, I know about OTA), CNN, ESPN, sports channels, etc? You realize you'll be giving up all live TV that doesn't live OTA, right? And that some programming (from HBO, for example) is not made available immediately and sometimes not until the following season begins.
post #208 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrippey View Post

It is only a matter or time before this aTV is hacked so you can stream files from your Airport at home (like I do now), run Boxee faster (like I do now) and even connect a HD, Keyboard and mouse. I do not think he mentioned if it is running iOS or a modified version of OSX like the current aTV (which is my guess).

I'll get it because once hacked, it will be an upgrade to what I have now. I only get basic cable and Boxee, Netflix or rip the movies I want to see. I only need basic cable to see the news (and ESPN) anyway.

Rippey

AirPlay lets you stream music, video, and photos; no hacking involved.
post #209 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by teunis View Post

Okay, great. That's awesome for you. But, this product was built for people who will find it "useful". Your Dish cost's are good. I get it. My cable bill is $77/month. Not good. I might watch 10-15 shows per month. That's $15 maximum. Less then half of what you're paying. Hence, this product is built for me. Why the selfish, narrow point of view hate?

If we do not express what we want in a product how will they ever know? If it had the features I wanted and would use I would buy it, but it doesn't.
Having only 2 channels on board means it still can't replace peoples cable/sat/fios bills. I'm sure more will get on board.

Saying it's built for you is no more or less narrow than saying it's useless for me. I didn't say for all it is useless. Just for me.
It's great that you get what you want but others have additional needs. Are you not being narrow minded as well?
If they expanded their codec support, increased to 1080p and supported HD audio and 7.1 i'd buy it. HDMI 1.3 which it has supports that audio, it supports 1080p, so it's just software for them to add it. Software to add codec support.

I'd like to see apple add those features. But i'm sure once the community gets a hold of it and starts hacking we may just see that.
post #210 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Maybe you need to patronize finer establishments? Stinky or deranged? Never seen it where I watch movies.

I just can't let this go by...

Maybe he was sitting next to....

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #211 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The software should have been as simple as the hardware. You plug it in and it straight away shows a Coverflow of all the movies available for rent. And that's the whole interface.

First, have you ever used the crappy interface provided by the standard cable box? This is simpler than that.

And as to a Coverflow-only interface... get real.

There are tens of thousands of movies and TV show/episodes available on iTunes... and you want to browse all of them sequentially with Coverflow???

I, for one, am glad you're not in charge of UI design at Apple....
post #212 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I am buying one as soon as it's out. Maybe two. One for home to stream stuff from my Mac to the 42" plasma in the living room. One for work to stream stuff for presentations. Might even carry the thing around for making presentations with my iPad.

Awesome.

This is exactly what I was thinking!
post #213 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The worst thing about the new Apple TV is that it offers absolutely nothing in terms of improvements for current Apple TV owners; Netflix streaming is the only real addition, and nearly everyone already has that capability thru either a game console, blu-ray player or their television itself. Apple's still asking people to pay for a box so they can buy content from Apple. And for anyone thinking this can somehow replace their cable package, have fun with those five shows from ABC and Fox.

There are so many TV shows on ITS it's ridiculous. Most you can't stream? OK, well the flipside the crux of my problem with the device in general. I guessing that in about 6 months or so we'll see a solid upgrade to the software for the "missing" app support.

1) this will allow networks to write apps for subscription plans

2) It will allow for gaming which it seems Apple is finally warming up to (silly it took them so long and continues to do so)

My biggest bitch is that without local storage I can't make purchases directly from the ATV which then synch to the server. That's one of the best features.

I suppose I would have to buy from my server now? I don't want to have to go to my laptop and screen share every time I want to purchase something. (I'm definitely keeping my old ATV's)

Also, not having local storage bites because I like to synch content and not rely on the server at all times. Especially for music which takes up hardly any space.

Waiting for an update even though the potential is there and the price is right.

BTW why does everyone think Netflix is going to be free? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to have a netflix account first guys.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #214 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by teunis View Post

Okay, great. That's awesome for you. But, this product was built for people who will find it "useful". Your Dish cost's are good. I get it. My cable bill is $77/month. Not good. I might watch 10-15 shows per month. That's $15 maximum. Less then half of what you're paying. Hence, this product is built for me. Why the selfish, narrow point of view hate?

The product is "built for you" and not so appealing to some others. Granted. But then calling others selfish (narrow view of hate, lol) for wanting something different or saying it wasn't "made for them" is, well, selfish.
post #215 of 379
This is so worth it
pre ordered mineD)
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #216 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

No, what I mean is there's absolutely no reason to purchase a new Apple TV if you already own one. I'll update my post to be more clear.

I see your point and completely agree - I won't be replacing my Apple TV until it dies.
post #217 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

It's always nice to see the morons who talked about the "iOS" coming to the Apple TV and "how great it would be" to have touch TVs or some kind of pointer device that worked with the TVs, now scrambling with disappointment that Apple didn't abide to their insane designs!.

You do know about the Apple TV "Remote" app, right?
post #218 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Think about it! Why spend $99 for a Roku box when you can get this PLUS iTunes streaming plus rental movies. It makes absolute sense. They are going after the 1Mu+ Roku market.

Why pay $99 for this when you can get a blu-ray player this Christmas that also streams netflix and plays your DVDs?
post #219 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

First, have you ever used the crappy interface provided by the standard cable box? This is simpler than that.

And as to a Coverflow-only interface... get real.

There are tens of thousands of movies and TV show/episodes available on iTunes... and you want to browse all of them sequentially with Coverflow???

I, for one, am glad you're not in charge of UI design at Apple....

I agree, coverflow could be good for recent movies/ tv/ music, but anything else it's stupid. I've used netflix on the xbox and "coverflow-ing" through all of the movies is a horrible interface.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #220 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Wow it's National Troll Day and no one told me ?!?!?!?

Every Apple keynote day is (Inter)National Troll Day.
post #221 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Pre-order placed.

The price point is right, the device is small and tight, its got the A4 processor and is most likely running iOS internally. Steve was still very clear that this remains a hobby for Apple... in my opinion that's because they haven't opened it up to 3rd party apps yet. That Netflix is there, however, leaves some hope for added content channels in the future (i.e. apps). The hardware is capable, its up to Apple to open it up. The AppleTV is a bit like the first iPhone was. Will they open it up with a full blown AppStore? I don't know, but they might keep it semi-closed and bring in 3rd party developers on a case-by-case basis, Netflix being the first example.

All the complaining in this thread (well, most of it anyhow) really just demonstrates how complex a market this device falls into. Everyone has their own idea of what they want in a device, and any company putting a product into the market has to choose what they are going to build, weigh the tradeoffs of each hardware/software feature, and figure out how to explain it to the consumer. Apple does a better job of these things that most, and they have a large installed base of potential users already living in their eco-system. I think this new device will do well... their hobby will step up to the next level, but remains a "hobby".

Right on, bro'. My pre-order (for 2) placed too.
post #222 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Don't forget that the iTunes versions have no commercials. Yes, you can skip them, but it's still not as seamless as not having them in the first place.

Quite. I've bought quite a few shows from iTunes, and it's gotten to the point where I can't stand to watch regular television. I refuse to waste 20 minutes of every hour watching ads for Shamwows and Aptivia....

My time alone is worth the buck.
post #223 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

There are so many TV shows on ITS it's ridiculous. Most you can't stream? OK, well the flipside the crux of my problem with the device in general. I guessing that in about 6 months or so we'll see a solid upgrade to the software for the "missing" app support.

1) this will allow networks to write apps for subscription plans

2) It will allow for gaming which it seems Apple is finally warming up to (silly it took them so long and continues to do so)

My biggest bitch is that without local storage I can't make purchases directly from the ATV which then synch to the server. That's one of the best features.

I suppose I would have to buy from my server now? I don't want to have to go to my laptop and screen share every time I want to purchase something. (I'm definitely keeping my old ATV's)

Also, not having local storage bites because I like to synch content and not rely on the server at all times. Especially for music which takes up hardly any space.

Waiting for an update even though the potential is there and the price is right.

BTW why does everyone think Netflix is going to be free? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to have a netflix account first guys.

The fact that they've eliminated the ability to purchase digital movies and tv shows on the Apple TV is a testament to just how few people are buying digitally. When it comes to owning movies or tv shows, physical media is here to stay.
post #224 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Why pay $99 for this when you can get a blu-ray player this Christmas that also streams netflix and plays your DVDs?

Oh, and it does Airplay, Youtube, flickr, Podcasts, etc too?
post #225 of 379
Hmmm, Airplay reminds me of Zune squirting.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #226 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

My time alone is worth the buck.

A pleasure to meet someone who actually values the opportunity cost of his time.
post #227 of 379
From a computer yes but will it find my hard drive connected to my airport? If it does, even better, all I need to jailbreak it for is to run Boxee and I will be good to go.

Rippey
post #228 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, but to give a preso you need to see the content as well as control it on the iPad-- for example: keynote displaying content on the large screen, while you look at the next content (and your notes), as well as the controls on the small screen; or you highlight something on the small screen and the highlight is displayed on the large screen.

I don't believe it can do that!

.

Instead of making assumptions, why not look into it? This is the current video out interface (note the text instructing you to touch and hold for the "laser pointer"), there's no telling if Air Play would do anything different (or if Keynote will even be supported by Airplay), but there is no reason to assume the most outlandish things like losing control of your iPad if you use Air Play.



"I assume it doesn't do this, therefore it sucks" isn't the most effective argument. I will admit that there is room for improvement in that keynote UI, but those are design issues with the app, not a fundamental flaw of video out.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #229 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Quite. I've bought quite a few shows from iTunes, and it's gotten to the point where I can't stand to watch regular television. I refuse to waste 20 minutes of every hour watching ads for Shamwows and Aptivia....

My time alone is worth the buck.

DVR it and skip the commercials. I haven't watched live TV aside from the occasional news or sporting event in many years. DVR everything.
post #230 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

See, that's what I don't get. All these people suggesting they'll be able to drop cable now? What about live TV (yes, I know about OTA), CNN, ESPN, sports channels, etc? You realize you'll be giving up all live TV that doesn't live OTA, right? And that some programming (from HBO, for example) is not made available immediately and sometimes not until the following season begins.

Nobody watches the news anymore.

Sports? Who cares.

You can stream everything in iTunes to your Apple TV.
post #231 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

First, have you ever used the crappy interface provided by the standard cable box? This is simpler than that.

And as to a Coverflow-only interface... get real.

There are tens of thousands of movies and TV show/episodes available on iTunes... and you want to browse all of them sequentially with Coverflow???

I, for one, am glad you're not in charge of UI design at Apple....


Mmmm.... Have you ever considered an hierarchical CoverFlow?

Where, say the top level is genre, artist; rating, stars; playlists, etc,

Then you select, say, artist and the next level is displayed, etc,

I've done some experimentation on the iPhone and you can quickly drill-down to almost any music or videos (that you have the capacity to store) in 3 or 4 levels.

The trick is having few covers at each drill-down level and only creating the CoverFlow series needed at the next level, while caching those at the prior level.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #232 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by utnvols1 View Post

Since when?
Since people in the US quit giving a crap about the complaining blokes across the pond. We're not trying to screw you, you do that to yourselves; it's called a monarchy. Happy trails.

Right that's it. Glove across your face. The next time i'm across the pond i'll give you a choice...pistols or sword?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #233 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatech View Post

What about people who are sick of paying for overpriced & poor service from the cable companies? Think about how much money you could save by just streaming the occasional movie. And what about the savings from not going to a theater with ridiculous ticket prices and costs for popcorn and soda.

I'd have to say, "Think about how much money you can sink into this little black box" if you watch any amount of TV/Movies.... could make your cable bill look like nothing. I also prefer to buy movies.... don't especially like the model they're pushing here. I see far fewer pluses for the viewer and far more for the seller.

And are TV shows with our w/o commercials?
post #234 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The fact that they've eliminated the ability to purchase digital movies and tv shows on the Apple TV is a testament to just how few people are buying digitally. When it comes to owning movies or tv shows, physical media is here to stay.

You still own your mediaits just digital now.
post #235 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Jailbreak + airplay. Nuff said.

True, I am drooling too.
post #236 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

AirPlay lets you stream music, video, and photos; no hacking involved.

Key question... can I stream facetime? If that's a feature of the $99 aTV, then that makes for an instant upgrade reason. iPhone4 in my hand, with the camera, family on the couch, streaming to the big screen the PiP view. Passing the laptop becomes a non issue, and group shots just become flipping the camera from front to back.

if not, then my AppleTV (and egg frying hotplate) will stay in my media stack, and I'll wait for AppleTV2.1.
post #237 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

You still own your mediaits just digital now.

err, not if you can't buy it... just lease it for a fixed period of time/uses.
post #238 of 379
Do not like the New apple TV. I have the old one and its hacked with XBMC & Boxee witch make it WAY more functional. No way I'm going to pay $1 to rent an episode when can get hulu on computer for free,or even hulu on ipad for $10 a month.
What apple needed to do was Bring IOS to apple TV (and make the interface work on tv) and let you download apps. That way I could chose the content provider. Also plays games, use Pandora ETC.
This is a Let down. I guess ill pick up a boxee box when it comes out. (maybe it will cost $99 to compete)
post #239 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefling View Post

What I was hoping from the new Apple TV was a device that would support Apps and that would stream content from your NAS drives or at least from a Time Capsule.

You've heard of XBMC for AppleTV, right?
post #240 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

See, that's what I don't get. All these people suggesting they'll be able to drop cable now? What about live TV (yes, I know about OTA), CNN, ESPN, sports channels, etc? You realize you'll be giving up all live TV that doesn't live OTA, right? And that some programming (from HBO, for example) is not made available immediately and sometimes not until the following season begins.

I read and watch all my news online. I subscribe to the major sports online tv (mlb, nhl, etc) packages since I don't live where my teams are (STL btw). I don't currently have HBO etc and have very little inclination to sign up for it.

And yes this is a small sample size, but the majority of people that I work with and play with watch as little TV as I do. For me (perhaps them) this is a great bridge the few times that I want to park my butt in front of the TV and veg out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV