or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV - Page 8

post #281 of 379
Okay, the new Apple TV doesn't have storage to download movies to. I'm cool with that. Switching between "shared library" and "sync" mode, to save your purchased movies, was always a PITA with the previous model.

But, I'd STILL like to have the option to rent or buy. I'd like to buy a movie and have the AppleTV stream it to my iTunes library, where I can put it on my ipod, iphone, stream it to the AppleTV, watch whenever I want, and back up with Time Machine.

Please don't tell me I now don't have to trundle off to the office to actually purchase a movie after watching the preview on the Apple TV! Ack!
post #282 of 379
Disappointing!

What a shame, I was hoping the new ATV would be more, not less. The interface looks exactly the same as the current ATV. And apparently you can no longer BUY movies or TV shows or music on the ATV, you can only rent.

I was ready to run out and buy one of these things to replace my current Apple TV, but not now. This new version offers absolutely nothing I want, and takes away features I liked.

If Apple TV wasn't a hobby for Apple before, it sure is now. Pathetic.
post #283 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Blu-ray is so ideal then is there is more media consumed via the internet than on Blu-ray? Why is Netflix streaming growing so quickly?

I think it is funny how some people say disc are dead or streaming isn't going to work. I think there is a place for both discs and for online video. In our house, we have Netflix for Blu-ray and DVD and we do Netflix streaming via the Wii. We even have an Appletv for our DVD rips and maybe one day a rental. Even the new Blu-ray player will support streaming now. Everyone is just going to have to accept that both physical media and downloads will have to co-exist.
post #284 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you think that the average consumer is up to speed and willing to rent Blu-ray disc so they can 1) do something illegal that has an FBI warning (in the US), and 2) take the time and effort to rip video when they can watch a show they missed or rent a movie on the go with a couple convenient clicks? I certainly dont think so. I think iTunes Store video has its place, just as YouTube, Hulu, Netflix DVD, Netflix Blu-ray, Netflix streaming, RedBox, etc. all have their places.

I thought ripping the DVD for personal use on other devices constitutes fair use and is legal?
post #285 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you think that the average consumer is up to speed and willing to rent Blu-ray disc so they can 1) do something illegal that has an FBI warning (in the US), and 2) take the time and effort to rip video when they can watch a show they missed or rent a movie on the go with a couple convenient clicks? I certainly dont think so. I think iTunes Store video has its place, just as YouTube, Hulu, Netflix DVD, Netflix Blu-ray, Netflix streaming, RedBox, etc. all have their places.

One thing about online videos, it opens them up to the internet where the average consumer learn about things such as ripping. You don't think the average consumer that shops for video on the iTunes store don't know about ripping?

Yes watching a show online when I miss a show is pretty convenient. I've started doing it this past year through abc.com, cbs.com and fox.com when I miss an episode of 24 or something like that.
post #286 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Hey genius, did you miss the part where I said 'the direction things are moving in'?

So what does "used to be able to..." mean to you?
post #287 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...

not only that but shows like big brother are online one hour after airing pacific time not to mention the dozens of free shows you can watch as they control their own commercial albeit one commercial every 15 minutes bs 4-5 on tv and if it will stream stuff from thebmac or PC that means all torrents in mpeg/avi format will play. Hope that works. If so it's preety cool but then, we do have dvrs but dvrs can't stream from the computer wheras this can. I think.
Anyone?
post #288 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Disappointing!

What a shame, I was hoping the new ATV would be more, not less. The interface looks exactly the same as the current ATV. And apparently you can no longer BUY movies or TV shows or music on the ATV, you can only rent.

I was ready to run out and buy one of these things to replace my current Apple TV, but not now. This new version offers absolutely nothing I want, and takes away features I liked.

If Apple TV wasn't a hobby for Apple before, it sure is now. Pathetic.

I just ordered mine. I'm moving my old AppleTv into the living room and this one into the bedroom. I'll let you know how bad it sucks soon.


- $99 well spent, IMO.
post #289 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

So all the millions of PCs and Macs and iPods and iPads that can play content from iTunes isn't enough?

Content is limited to the pc or Mac it was purchased from. Blu-Rays and DVDs are not locked to a user; you can use them in anyone's player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

And what do you mean "it's future is always in question"? Who's future, iTunes?

The Apple TV's future is always in question, because it's "just a hobby". In a year there could be no device to play iTunes DRM'd videos on a television short of spending $700 on a Mac Mini.
post #290 of 379
If all one can stream over the Internet is HD then...
- what about the non-HD content (movies and TV)
- how long will I wait to see a show. With a 3 Mbps Internet DSL connection I can watch a show in widescreen format in a few seconds. HD movies take over an hour to start. That doesn't work for me.
post #291 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, I just bought one, too! I already have an AppleTV but this is an improvement-- at least the beginning of one.

I am bummed, with no games, apps or SDK.

I think Apple really, really missed an opportunity by not announcing these today, and making the SDK available today.

Hopefully, by the time the device ships, they will rectify this-- otherwise, it is just a semi-useful, nice-looking square hockey puck!

.

I was thinking that streaming from iOS devices would fill this gap. If you assume that an iPhone 4 can produce a reasonable amount of frame rates for demanding games (like the one demoed) AND that it can stream a movie at acceptable frame rates to an aTV you could marry up the two capabilities for less demanding games and use game center as the lobby/match service.

Especially when the iPhone 5 should be more capable than the 4 when it gets a dual core ARM A9 and better GPU in a year.

It also skips the issue of controllers if all it does is provide a video endpoint for streaming from iOS devices. You have to have an iOS device to play in the first place so you must already have at least one controller.
post #292 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I just ordered mine. I'm moving my old AppleTv into the living room and this one into the bedroom. I'll let you know how bad it sucks soon.

- $99 well spent, IMO.

I'm happy for you. But, it's not for me.
post #293 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Content is limited to the pc or Mac it was purchased from. Blu-Rays and DVDs are not locked to a user; you can use them in anyone's player.

The Apple TV's future is always in question, because it's "just a hobby". In a year there could be no device to play iTunes DRM'd videos on a television short of spending $700 on a Mac Mini.

I know iTunes music no longer has DRM, so, you can play it on anyone's player, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about movies or TV shows, though.

I do agree with you on the Apple TV.
post #294 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thats my point. Its just an option. I can find multiple scenarios why each one of these various way to watch TV and movies works for someone at some time.

And I agree with you. But Apple and Steve Jobs don't agree with us. If they did, Blu-Ray would be an option in Macs, if not the Apple TV. They truly believe the physical disc will die at the hand of expensive, limited selection, limited use pay-per-view. Steve Jobs has more or less said so himself, and the Apple TV eliminating the ability to buy content at all backs it up.
post #295 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

YouTube yes, HD movie rentals from multiple sources, yes. Netflix streaming, yes. Pandora streaming, yes. You'd rarely if ever view flickr photos and podcasts on your television. But what you would view on your television is DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, neither of which the Apple TV can play despite costing just $30~ less than a Blu-Ray player that does all of these things.

Engadget's feature comparison.

What nonsense.

Who cares about engadget.com feature comparisons. They're useless.

I use my @TV for AirPlay all the time, especially music (which you skipped), home movies (which you skipped), TV shows (which you skipped), and photos (perhaps you are single and have no family, but that's fine). I watch iTunes podcasts (especially network news, GPS w/FZ etc) all the time.

I own a Sony BD player w/wifi (I dare you to find it for $70), and it is an utter p.o.s. for anything involving the internet. The set-up is frustrating, non-intuitive and clunky. Forget about Pandora or YouTube, even Netflix is an utter pain to set up. And, the input scheme (e.g., entering search terms) is beyond pathetic.

Finally, you must be the only person in the world for whom BD rentals cost 99 cents or less.
post #296 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I'm happy for you. But, it's not for me.

And "it's for me." Do you have a point other than the fact that it's for some people and not others, e.g., like the Mac, or the iPad, or the the iPhone, or the Droid, or..... whatever?
post #297 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And "it's for me." Do you have a point other than the fact that it's for some people and not others, e.g., like the Mac, or the iPad, or the the iPhone, or the Droid, or..... whatever?

He hates it, I love it. Life!
post #298 of 379
Some of you are missing the potential of this. I got rid of my cable 6 months ago and I've been watching netflix streaming on my iMac since. Ive been buying DVDs of shows I like, such as "Curb" (HBO). After watching them, I sell the DVDs on ebay. I have ZERO interest in cable subscriptions. I have ZERO interest in "owning" physical or virtual content. I have ZERO interest in "owning" a show or movie. I want to watch what I want, when I want, all for a reasonable price, via an awesome interface. And if I can use my ipad for a remote, I'm doing headstands. This is the real promise of on demand...not some crap comcast wants to serve me over their craptacular hardware after they've collected $100/mo for a crap subscription. Can you tell I hate the cable companies?

Point is, there are more and more people thinking like me, and more to come in the future. BTW, I'm an old geezer at 52 so the future looks great for apple tv in my view. All the young kids are going to love this in due time. As soon as I upgrade my ancient TV, I will be all over this box. In fact, I finally have a good excuse for a new tv.
post #299 of 379
Will iTunes 10 support my old Apple TV.. I love tune in the cloud , but what about all the stuff I have now...
post #300 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Pretty surprised about no Apps. There are clearly complications but I thought there would be some kind of intro to Apps.

Exatly what I thought. No apps? Only 720p? I mean it's neat, and if it could extend my network like an airport express then I might get it, but right now no sale.
post #301 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you have a 1080p display, your TV will upscale to that resolution anyway. BTW, no TV upscales to 1080i.

Actually, my CRT HDTV upscales 480i/p and 720p to its native 1080i resolution.
post #302 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Some of you are missing the potential of this. I got rid of my cable 6 months ago and I've been watching netflix streaming on my iMac since. Ive been buying DVDs of shows I like, such as "Curb" (HBO). After watching them, I sell the DVDs on ebay. I have ZERO interest in cable subscriptions. I have ZERO interest in "owning" physical or virtual content. I have ZERO interest in "owning" a show or movie. I want to watch what I want, when I want, all for a reasonable price, via an awesome interface. And if I can use my ipad for a remote, I'm doing headstands. This is the real promise of on demand...not some crap comcast wants to serve me over their craptacular hardware after they've collected $100/mo for a crap subscription. Can you tell I hate the cable companies?

Point is, there are more and more people thinking like me, and more to come in the future. BTW, I'm an old geezer at 52 so the future looks great for apple tv in my view. All the young kids are going to love this in due time. As soon as I upgrade my ancient TV, I will be all over this box. In fact, I finally have a good excuse for a new tv.

That only makes sense, if all you did with your cable, was watch movies or the occasional TV show in the first place.

This new ATV isn't much different than the previous; still just an iPod for the TV, but adds Netflix and YT streaming (what doesn't do streaming Netflix and YT anymore?).

Until the day comes along, that I can stream anything on-demand (all networks, not just those that agree to sign distribution deals), including sports, this is still just a hobby device. It's only advantage is that it's $99 and can stream Netflix too, but both my computer and 360 can already do that, and they're both connected to my HDTV.
post #303 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Blu-ray is so ideal then is there is more media consumed via the internet than on Blu-ray? Why is Netflix streaming growing so quickly?

Are you comparing someone watching a dog laying a turd on youtube to sales of Blu-ray movies?

And you seem to forget, over 95% of the worlds population, can't, or don't want netflix.
post #304 of 379
No one is addressing what to me continues to pose the biggest limitation on the Apple TV: the Internet! I pay for the fastest speed available in my town, but even so I haven't been able to stream even a two-minute QuickTime movie trailer in less than five minutes. Even then half the time some glitch or other mars the viewing experience. Isn't all this talk about 1080p streaming a little premature considering Internet 2 is still not even on the horizon?
post #305 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Why pay $99 for this when you can get a blu-ray player this Christmas that also streams netflix and plays your DVDs?

because physical media is dead, bluray won the battle for hd format but streaming netflix and apple are winning the war

it does so many other things and at $99 its a steal,

i would buy a bluray just for the use of netflix and pandora, but now with apple TV i don't need to
tv's this Christmas season will all be wifi and internet connected, so now you have a convergence item

bluray....what's bluray.....just another dust collector
and i can take this with me to hotels etc and vacation and still stream from my iphone,
use my iphone as a remote , app store---- OMFG
i think i'm getting a tingle up my leg......oooooooooaaaawwww
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #306 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by iedsri View Post

No one is addressing what to me continues to pose the biggest limitation on the Apple TV: the Internet! I pay for the fastest speed available in my town, but even so I haven't been able to stream even a two-minute QuickTime movie trailer in less than five minutes. Even then half the time some glitch or other mars the viewing experience. Isn't all this talk about 1080p streaming a little premature considering Internet 2 is still not even on the horizon?

You're spot on.

Some of the posts here are just wishful blather.
post #307 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

And I agree with you. But Apple and Steve Jobs don't agree with us. If they did, Blu-Ray would be an option in Macs, if not the Apple TV. They truly believe the physical disc will die at the hand of expensive, limited selection, limited use pay-per-view. Steve Jobs has more or less said so himself, and the Apple TV eliminating the ability to buy content at all backs it up.

I would bet anything that Steve Jobs agrees with you. I bet he has more than one Blu-ray player in his home. What I bet he wont agree with is that Apple should support all technologies that others support. Sometimes the best play is to not play at all and I see no way that Apple could compete with a $99 Blu-ray appliance that some folks here say work flawlessly, and when Apple only supports 9.5mm ODDs in all their Macs, sans the Mac Pro, which would mean a very, very very costly piece of HW to be up to what Id expect from an Apple product: as small as humanly possible while also being fast for that size.

I think its safe to say that the optical drive is just an obsolescing placeholder for when they can feasibly regain that ¼ of the 13 MBPs internal space.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #308 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...

Not if you don't have cable (like me). I've gone without cable for about 6-7 years now and have been using the internet for news/info and AppleTV (for about 3 years now) for TV/Movies. Can't stand all the waste and trash that's on cable. AppleTV allows us to pick only what we want. Bravo Apple for this update. Keep it up! Add more networks, Apps and GameCenter one day and this'll kill every other competitor!
post #309 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're spot on.

Some of the posts here are just wishful blather.

Remember, it's STREAMING... Two minute QuickTime in 5 minutes???? I have a 1Gb, $24.95/mo, internet connection and can start watching TV shows in about that timeframe (5 min). Full length movies take about 15-20 minutes to be able to start watching but still, for a 1Gb internet connection, that's pretty good.

Now of course, I'm NOT talking about HD, but 5 minutes to start watching a 2 minute QT movie? You must have dial-up or at best, ISDN. ;-)
post #310 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

because physical media is dead, bluray won the battle for hd format but streaming netflix and apple are winning the war

Maybe you should look at how many titles there are available on physical media vs Netflix or Apple before declaring victory (heh, heh).
post #311 of 379
Why are Bluetooth remote controls a rare specimen? My dog walks in front of the entertainment center and renders my remote unusable.

PS3 and Wii have it; why can't other devices, especially this new Apple TV?
post #312 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_nerd View Post

if the Hulu works on this puppy, i'm going to seriously consider it.

I'm more interested in studios letting netflix have next day episodes of tv. $9 a month and ad free is better than hulu plus

I do have an issue with itunes/netflix and movies. the special features. I want to see them. this itunes Extras hasn't yet taken off and when you rent you can't see them. I wouldn't mind paying another $1-2 dollars to see them also. I enjoy them. sometimes more than the movies.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #313 of 379
Drat. Apple Japan doesn't show the new Apple TV, even after a search. Hope Steve was suggesting Japan when he said later this year...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #314 of 379
If you have netflix its a no brainer. I think Roku is dead after this. For all the people here who want more give it some time. They might exand on this and later offer a more premium box with additional featues etc. They want a key price pioint. They need to sell rnough of these to get more contact from these entertainment companies. If I was a cable TV exec I would be quaking in my boots.
post #315 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortal View Post

I was gonna say, isnt this just a glorified DVR?

No, this is better. No skipping of commercials and no dancing with networks and cable co's screwing with start/stop times in lame attempts to screw up DVR recordings.

And finally, I can kill my cable subscription!

Quote:
and on those you can keep the episode indefinetly, no?

Sure, until you run out of space. Unless you transfer the show off - if you can. But my Tivo S3's are basically useless since the majority of content I am interested in is flagged as no copy. I might as well stream it from Netflix, and rent from Apple what Netflix doesn't have.

I've owned Tivo's since 2001, and helped friends and family install over 40 - but I won't miss Tivo. I never wanted a DVR, I wanted to watch the shows I want, when I want, without commercials. The gap has finally closed enough were my Tivo's are now redundant. I won't be renewing any of my subs, that's for sure!
post #316 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

It seems like Apple TV is still just "iTunes for TV" and for watching past episodes.

Not for long. Streaming from iOS apps is the next logical progression (heck, it may be in 4.2).

MLB at Bat on a TV screen? Kills the final sticking point for most users who would like to ditch cable - sports!

Cable is dead - long live cable!
post #317 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Pretty surprised about no Apps. There are clearly complications but I thought there would be some kind of intro to Apps.

Netflix isn't an app? Hulu couldn't eventually be an app on it?

Sure, they are not user-installed apps - but with AirPlay from iOS devices, what makes more sense? Stuffing apps and an awkward control scheme in the AppleTV, or extending the screen from the iOS device to your TV?

The latter makes more sense to me. Brilliant side-stepping of the "how do you control it" debate.
post #318 of 379
I was thinking the same thing. Live Sports broadcasting is the only thing its missing. Interactive apps take the enjoyment of sports even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

MLB at Bat on a TV screen? Kills the final sticking point for most users who would like to ditch cable - sports!

Cable is dead - long live cable!
post #319 of 379
Actually Netflix was not an app it was built into the software UI by Apple.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Netflix isn't an app? Hulu couldn't eventually be an app on it?
post #320 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I predict this product is going to be a BLOCKBUSTER.

@TV will finally take off.

You're way right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Theres just absolutely no reason to buy this thing.

You're so wrong.

Maybe "absolutely no reason" for the cognoscenti already loaded down with all kinds of devices named in this thread, but just watch the sales take off for this thing.

Solves six problems for me out the gate and I won't be buying much if any media.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV