or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV - Page 2

post #41 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

It seems like Apple TV is still just "iTunes for TV" ...

Bingo! That's all it ever was. I don't understand why people don't get that!? It's really not that difficult of a concept: You have iTunes content on your computer and you want to watch it on your TV in the living room.

Honestly, what's with all the whining?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #42 of 379
720p. FAIL!

When will Apple adopt true HD instead of this cheap knockoff?
post #43 of 379
Not paying 99 cents to rent a show that are freely available over the air.

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month. Renting shows at 99 each(not to mention only in 720p) would cost us WAY more than what we pay to dish.

Now I would be happy to use it to stream from my server as I do now on my HTPC but it's going to need to support 1080p, more containers, video formats and bitstream HD audio.

So for me, it's a useless device.
post #44 of 379
This is probably going to sound really dorky, but the only thing stopping me from getting one is that it is hdmi only and doesn't have old fashioned video out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Damn they could have atleast thrown a DVD player in it, for people with a DVD player and Roku to go down to 1 device. Theres just absolutely no reason to buy this thing.

I assume most people who get this are probably going to want to rip their discs to their computer and stream them.
post #45 of 379
It's always nice to see the morons who talked about the "iOS" coming to the Apple TV and "how great it would be" to have touch TVs or some kind of pointer device that worked with the TVs, now scrambling with disappointment that Apple didn't abide to their insane designs!

Where's their apology right now? Well in the same place where their pride is ahah.
post #46 of 379
It amazes me that people still believe all the rumors they read and expect the moon at every event...

I think the price point is spot on. I would purchase one to replace my PS3 which I use almost exclusively to stream content from my PC to the living room TV set. Who watches a movie / TV show more than once today with all the variety in programming? Is this going to replace your cable subscription? No. Then again the this is not aimed at people who pay 50-70$ per month. But for those who who watch only a few shows a week, this is a great option.

wish list:
- add a way for developers to create Apps for it (games!)
- stream from my torrent client directly to this without re-encoding it
- better support for other video formats

I am not sure if there is a USB plug but it would be great...
post #47 of 379
Nope! You folks don't get it.....
post #48 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

... don't quit your day job if you're thinking about going into UI design!

And don't quit your day job if you're thinking of going in to technical analysis, with that brilliant, in-depth, half-sentence response.
post #49 of 379
Little disappointing user content has been shunned. I rarely buy from iTunes on my device. Now all my purchased content is buried. Nothing I purchased is visible from the home screen. Quite a step backwards. It's not like they don't have room to include an extra menu item like the current one does.

Looks nice and the price is good, but c'mon. Let my purchases be displayed front and center, not buried 3 menus deep.
post #50 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Disappointed that it doesn't have apps, but I'd forgive them if airplay lets me stream video from non apple sources on my iPhone to apple tv.

You can already stream anything to AppleTv has long has you convert it to .m4v format before then drag it into itunes. Handbrake will do this for free. You can also tag your files with identify complete with dvd covert and description.

This is going to be the best HTPC out there, but HTPC's are a hobby thing.
post #51 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month...

That's pretty cool. I've been wishing DirecTV would offer an HD-only package, but so far, no dice.
post #52 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Just saw the pricing too. US - $99. UK - £99.

Since when was the exchange rate $1=£1? I know Apple always screw us over here in the UK, but this is a new low point.

http://www.9to5mac.com/16669/steve-j...-and-your-govt

Quote:
Please educate yourself. UK prices must by law include VAT, which is around 18%. US prices do not include tax.
post #53 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandt View Post

Did I see a USB port on the back of the new Apple TV?

Thoughts on being able to plug in a DVD/Blueray player? Probably not BluRay, but DVD.

Gregor

The website is live now... it turns out that extra port is for Optical Audio. I was hoping for USB myself, and for the option of adding storage if you want. That way I could turn off my computer if I'm watching homemade or pre-bought content.
post #54 of 379
Quote:

Right now on Dish Network's HD only package we pay $36/month. Renting shows at 99 each(not to mention only in 720p) would cost us WAY more than what we pay to dish.

36 bucks a month doesn't seem "free" to me. Just saying. It would cost you more if you rent more than 36 shows per month, obviously. So perhaps the Apple TV is for people that don't watch that many shows, and want to watch them on the fly, whenever they want it, and not when the Networks want it?

Quote:
Now I would be happy to use it to stream from my server as I do now on my HTPC but it's going to need to support 1080p, more containers, video formats and bitstream HD audio.

Well, it's also useless to me, but I have a DVR... 1080p is not that worth the trouble.
post #55 of 379
Quote:

Don't forget that the iTunes versions have no commercials. Yes, you can skip them, but it's still not as seamless as not having them in the first place.
post #56 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

No its not a DVR at all unfortunately.

If this is more than $99 its instant fail.

Love the people who make serious comments like this.
post #57 of 379
I'd get the apple tv if you can connect it to monitors. I have a dell monitor with an dvi connector. Anyone know if there is a cable that goes from hdmi -> dvi so you can connect an apple tv to an external monitor?
post #58 of 379

No apps. No Games, NO SDK... Wha?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #59 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

The website is live now... it turns out that extra port is for Optical Audio. I was hoping for USB myself, and for the option of adding storage if you want. That way I could turn off my computer if I'm watching homemade or pre-bought content.

No such luck, that's not the way Steve wants you to use it. Personally, I'll stick to my existing AppleTV and my WDTV Live that'll play virtually anything I throw at it.
post #60 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAppleHead View Post

Think about it! Why spend $99 for a Roku box when you can get this PLUS iTunes streaming plus rental movies. It makes absolute sense. They are going after the 1Mu+ Roku market.

Except the Roku HD is 30% cheaper than this.
post #61 of 379
Quote:

You stream HD content from your server? Are you ripping Blu-ray? I don't think so..as for HD audio, tell me what internet service streams lossless audio. You're not being realistic.
post #62 of 379
Definitley getting one (or 3) to replace my Xbox 360 and PS3 for video streaming from my iMac. The Xbox and PS3 are fine but are anything but silent. At £99 (UK Price) its well worth it.

720p doesn't present an issue as you would be hard pushed to spot the difference at normal viewing distance (I have a 47" 1080p screen at present)

Airplay looks cool and will work with ALL iOS4 devices when available.

You can use your iOS device as a remote too

Channel surf, tap, and flick with the Remote app.
Control Apple TV using your iPhone or iPod touch. Download the Remote app free from the App Store. And with a flick of your finger, you can rent new movies and TV shows, scroll through the Netflix catalog, and browse your media collection. Remote uses the same easy-to-use interface you already use to browse music and video on your Multi-Touch device. So right away, you know how to navigate. If you want to find something specific, use your device’s QWERTY keyboard to quickly tap out the title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen. Then keep tapping to play, fast-forward, rewind, and pause to your finger’s content.
post #63 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My first thought was that I might actually be interested at $99. Then, I thought again. It's a $99 wireless hub and that's all. I don't care about renting TV shows or movies through iTunes. I have Netflix on my PS3, giving me Bluray+streaming+gaming. I also have a multi-room DVR. I can rent movies if I choose through FiOs.

I think Apple is really going the wrong way here. Introduce an Apple TV with bluray, multi-DVR and physical media storage of 1-2TB. Charge $599 + $99 for satellite (other room) boxes like the current (new) Apple TV. Goodbye $40 a month charge for three boxes. I'm sold.

I'd tend to agree. Without DVR/PVR functionality, it is just a media extender. A well priced one, but a media extender nonetheless. Tivo with a lifetime coverage plan gives you the DVR, no monthly fees, media extended, etc. I think it also has netflix but maybe another service for on demand shows and movies.

It is a great price, but it doesn't replace any of my existing boxes and so would just be another box and more wires. But $99 is a low enough price point that I might try it out anyway. We'll see.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #64 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

36 bucks a month doesn't seem "free" to me. Just saying. It would cost you more if you rent more than 36 shows per month, obviously. So perhaps the Apple TV is for people that don't watch that many shows, and want to watch them on the fly, whenever they want it, and not when the Networks want it?

No, $36 isn't free. But I also get many channels for that, that are not freely available over the air.
The only two channels apple has lined up, ABC and FOX, are freely available over the air.

My DVR also allows me to watch shows when I want to and skip commercials so I have the same flexibility.
post #65 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

If you have a high capacity ipad or ipod you could stream from there. You could even buy something with your ipad then stream it to the AppleTV with no computer involved
post #66 of 379
Quote:

You stream HD content from your server? Are you ripping Blu-ray? I don't think so..as for HD audio, tell me what internet service streams lossless audio. You're not being realistic.

Yes, I do stream HD from my server. Yes, I do rip bluray.

I didn't say I want to stream HD audio from the net. I want to stream it from my server. Which I do now to my HTPC.
I have little to no interest in internet content. I'm more interested in streaming from computers which the apple tv supports but is very limited on that support.
post #67 of 379
Yes but Apple has way more iTunes users than Roku/Netflix subs...
post #68 of 379
I have FIOS cable and never use it.

1. There's nothing on TV worth watching (except maybe 3 shows which are explicitly comedy, and do not attempt to shape people's thoughts with lying subtext)

2. I never watch shows when they're first aired (almost never. i have a life, a wife, a kid, and job. Who the hell has time to catch primetime programming?)

3. I would never pay monthly for a DVR box. (don't care how much or how cheap, i wouldn't do it. neither would millions of others)

------

These are some reasons why this AppleTV has a chance. The future possibilities of it running iOS and further interaction with iPhone/iPad (there's already a good amount) are wonderful.

I like it. For $99, I'll take one so I don't have to plug my iPhone into my TV everyday.

Biggest problem (con): No immediate access to apps like StreamtoMe, which will let your computer do the converting while you do the watching.
post #69 of 379
We don't have rentals here in Japan, at least not yet (Steve gave me some hope, but the "system" here will likely block Apple as long as possible)... I am buying one as soon as it's out. Maybe two. One for home to stream stuff from my Mac to the 42" plasma in the living room. One for work to stream stuff for presentations. Might even carry the thing around for making presentations with my iPad.

Awesome.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #70 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Bingo! That's all it ever was. I don't understand why people don't get that!? It's really not that difficult of a concept: You have iTunes content on your computer and you want to watch it on your TV in the living room.

Honestly, what's with all the whining?

There's no whining. I was just expecting something more after all this time. Considering how Google TV allows for all the same features as Apple TV in addition to integration with whatever live TV service you have, I thought Apple would come up with something to match.

Honestly, what's with all this hostility towards a simple question?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #71 of 379
Quote:

No, $36 isn't free. But I also get many channels for that, that are not freely available over the air.
The only two channels apple has lined up, ABC and FOX, are freely available over the air.

My DVR also allows me to watch shows when I want to and skip commercials so I have the same flexibility.

This is clearly not a cable remplacement yet. But I think its a step forward.
post #72 of 379
Then stick with your HTPC, why whine?
post #73 of 379
Quote:

You stream HD content from your server? Are you ripping Blu-ray? I don't think so...

I stream 1080p content to my WDTV Live all the time. As for Blu-rays, people have been ripping them for a while now.
post #74 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you have a high capacity ipad or ipod you could stream from there. You could even buy something with your ipad then stream it to the AppleTV with no computer involved

True, but then your iPhone/iPod/iPad is on anyway, which doesn't seem like a big difference to me. You're still using power on two different devices, when one isn't actually in use.
post #75 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The CEO said that the new Apple TV does away with concerns of storage, as it is based on a rental model rather than purchasing.

Is that supposed to be an apology or a feature? The concerns of storage? WTF?
post #76 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We don't have rentals here in Japan, at least not yet (Steve gave me some hope, but the "system" here will likely block Apple as long as possible)... I am buying one as soon as it's out. Maybe two. One for home to stream stuff from my Mac to the 42" plasma in the living room. One for work to stream stuff for presentations. Might even carry the thing around for making presentations with my iPad.

Awesome.

Its too bad the ipad cant handle these simple tasks on its own.
post #77 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I expected a LOT more from a new ATV. No app store is just mind boggling, what on earth were they thinking? The only addition of note is netflix which is US only anyway, so for the rest of the planet it's just the old ATV with the hard drive removed.

I really can't see this selling.

Hrm. I just pre ordered. People don't realize how handy the Apple TV really is. If you are the type of person that keeps stuff on your computer, i.e. movies, music, podcasts, etc., it gets old watching on small screen a lot. A majority of my day at home is me busy but listening to music. I love the fact that I can walk around, stream music to or play from apple tv, over the entire house with airport express and the apple tv. other than the crappers.....i can walk through the entire house and not miss a beat while listening to music. All the while controlling it with the iphone in my pocket.

Now that this is only $99 I can put the old one in our bedroom and rent movies without having to sit in living room to watch.

I wonder if they are going to lower the price of airport express now? It can't remain $99 now.
post #78 of 379
Quote:

There's no whining. I was just expecting something more after all this time. Considering how Google TV allows for all the same features as Apple TV in addition to integration with whatever live TV service you have, I thought Apple would come up with something to match.

Honestly, what's with all this hostility towards a simple question?

Google TV! A non-starter imo...
post #79 of 379
Quote:

Where's the live TV integration part? It seems like Apple TV is still just "iTunes for TV" and for watching past episodes.

How could Apple take money out of your pocket if you watch live TV?

It doesn't look like they are trying to make a killing on the razor, but instead, they want to sell you blades for the rest of your life.
post #80 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Is that supposed to be an apology or a feature? The concerns of storage? WTF?

All user content is moving to a cloud-based format. While storage might be cheap, why not store it on the cloud and have access to it on any device (Apple device that is)?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV