or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's iPod classic survives another year, but sees no changes

Apple's iPod classic survives another year, but sees no changes

post #1 of 47
Though it went unmentioned at Apple's media event, the iconic iPod classic remains available from Apple at the same $249 price point for 160GB of storage.

Apple last year increased the capacity of its sole hard drive-based portable media player to 160GB. And even that increase was minor, considering that two years prior Apple had introduced a 160GB model, only to ax it in 2008.

The 2009 update to the iPod classic gave the device the same slim profile as the 120GB model released in 2008.

While the iPod classic earned a brief mention in 2009 due to its capacity bump, it went unmentioned by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Wednesday. That isn't because Apple discontinued the device, however.

The iPod classic remains advertised on Apple's site, and is still available for sale in the company's online store. It touts that the device can carry 40,000 songs, 200 hours of video or 25,000 photos on its internal hard drive.

Given the legacy of the device, with a design largely unchanged for years, and its lack of solid state storage and reliance on the iconic click wheel, some believed Apple would finally put the nail in the coffin on the device in 2010.
post #2 of 47
It would have been nice to see the Classic at US 199.99... Oh Well
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 47
Give it another year or two, it will be gone. Flash is coming down, it's only a matter of another year or so before we see 128GB in an iPod Touch. The Classic is still great I think for someone that wants to carry an entire library with them. It will be phased out as soon as 128GB is available in an iDevice. Great updates overall today, very impressed. Still trying to grab an iTunes 10 download, but it's not up yet.
post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

It would have been nice to see the Classic at US 199.99... Oh Well

Or keep the price but bump it up to 320 GB.
post #5 of 47
It won't survive another year. 10 years Of the classic iPod formfactor. end it on a high note.
post #6 of 47
just because the thing is still advertised and is being sold doesn't mean it survived another year. It could be just as likely that apple is trying to sell their remaining stock
post #7 of 47
I agree with JohnnyB0731.

Notice that Steve Jobs said that they're revamped and redesigned their entire line of iPods (paraphrasing). That means that the Classic, which did not get updated in the slightest, is not included in the lineup because it wasn't updated, much less redesigned.

I surmise they're just allowing people to buy the last of their stock before they take it off of the store website.

Daniel
post #8 of 47
It would be very, very bad to lose the classic. Bigger storage for those who want to play music. Not forgetting this is the only ipod that can be operated by the visually impaired. It really should be kept, storage upped, price dropped a little.
post #9 of 47
"...the iconic iPod classic remains available from Apple at the same $249 price point..."

Is there some statement in the AI style guide that requirse the constant (mis) use of the term "price point" in all blog postings*? Lose the buzzword and get back to basics.

*Same goes for the ever-popular "form factor" phrase.
post #10 of 47
I hope they never kill it. I'd buy a 1TB model if they made it. I could take my whole library in ALAC. Add a nice portable amp (such as a Ray Samuels Hornet) and a good set of headphones (such as Sennheiser HD650 or AKG 701) and you'd have an amazing personal sound system.

Seems like there should already be someone modding the older, thicker 160GB units to at least 320GB, if not higher. What's the largest size drive anyone makes now that will fit in the older 160GB?
post #11 of 47
Apple has to come up with at least gb for me to give up my Classic. My library is too large for a Touch, although I have one.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

It won't survive another year. 10 years Of the classic iPod formfactor. end it on a high note.

I agree. I bought one, just to be on the safe side.

I know that the word is overused, but what a truly iconic product! It changed the course of Apple - and popular entertainment - forever. (Moreover, there's nothing better for the car).

[Sniff].
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Not forgetting this is the only ipod that can be operated by the visually impaired.

This is a very good observation. Now that you bring this up, I have a feeling that Apple is going to hear about this one, and may have to rethink.
post #14 of 47
Check out Amazon...it's one of the top sellers in MP3 players. People still buy it. Not as many, but Apple still makes money off it, so it's worth keeping around.

The only thing that will shorten its life is now the nano uses different system software.
post #15 of 47
No reason to kill a good-seller unless you have a better one.

The new iPods are nice but none come close to Classic in capacity. My library won't fit on any of the flash-based ones (64 max)

Yes - I have a nano and like it for certain things, but the Classic holds everything.

I expect it will be here for many years. Until there's something better.
post #16 of 47
They'll keep selling them as long as they have inventory to sell. And they'll keep making them as long as people keep buying them, or until they become too expensive to manufacture.
post #17 of 47
I was hoping they would bump it to 250gb when Steve said all iPods were being updated. How hard would that have been? After that POS nano was introduced and then the touch that can't take decent photos it was starting to become a potential highlight of the event for me.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

just because the thing is still advertised and is being sold doesn't mean it survived another year. It could be just as likely that apple is trying to sell their remaining stock

Doubt that since they went to the trouble of updating all the ipod product pages with the classic info.
post #19 of 47
Quote:

Not forgetting this is the only ipod that can be operated by the visually impaired.

I suppose you have heard of the "iPod shuffle", right?
post #20 of 47
I absolutely LOVE the iPod Classic. I can load it up with everything I have and plug it into my car's media interface and use the car's controls almost exactly like an iPod. A Touch isn't the kind of iPod you hide and a nano is still too small.

Though my Classic will last for many many years to come I hope it is not discontinued.
post #21 of 47
A good amount of my friends have bought the iPod Classic 120GB and recent 160GB (including myself). I think most hardcore music lovers not only want all of their library with them, but they want a device dedicated to music. It seems to still be accepted that the iPod Classic has higher quality sound output, and I don't want to fuddle around with a touch screen while running or driving. I want to know where the pause button is, and just hit it without looking.

If the Classic keeps selling, they'll keep making it. I've upgraded every two years to keep up with my expanding music collection (30, 80 Classic, now 160 Classic). I'll buy a 200 - 320GB Classic if they make it a year or two from now.

I won't go from having a 160GB Classic to a 128GB iPod Touch, nor will I pay $400 for a device when a $250 one does exactly what I want. I hope Apple keeps the Classic.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

I suppose you have heard of the "iPod shuffle", right?

Ah, the visually impaired surely do not deserve to hear or carry around more than a couple of hundred songs, right?
post #23 of 47
Quote:

It would be very, very bad to lose the classic. Bigger storage for those who want to play music. Not forgetting this is the only ipod that can be operated by the visually impaired. It really should be kept, storage upped, price dropped a little.

Interesting point, and it's close to the reason I love the click-wheel. I don't use shuffle much. I listen to tracks sequentially (audiobooks mainly), and the click-wheel is ideal for adjusting your position forward & backward with precision, skipping tracks, adjusting volume, all without looking at the device. The touch interfaces are very nice, but they require you to look at them. And sometimes that's just not the best use of my eyes (consider, for instance, when I'm driving or on my bicycle).

(touch devices let you adjust the volume without looking, but it's in steps, and it's not nearly as finely adjustable as the click wheel)
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

Give it another year or two, it will be gone. Flash is coming down, it's only a matter of another year or so before we see 128GB in an iPod Touch. The Classic is still great I think for someone that wants to carry an entire library with them. It will be phased out as soon as 128GB is available in an iDevice. Great updates overall today, very impressed. Still trying to grab an iTunes 10 download, but it's not up yet.

Even when a 128GB iPod Touch comes along it will still 32GB less than the Classic and be considerably costlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljt View Post

I agree with JohnnyB0731.

Notice that Steve Jobs said that they're revamped and redesigned their entire line of iPods (paraphrasing). That means that the Classic, which did not get updated in the slightest, is not included in the lineup because it wasn't updated, much less redesigned.

I surmise they're just allowing people to buy the last of their stock before they take it off of the store website.

Daniel

I disagree with the above 3 posts.

This is the first evidence we’ve seen of the Classic, itself, being obsolesced, but I think it could survive another year. Remember, this is the 1st time they didn’t increase the HDD capacity which likely means Toshiba is no longer investing in denser platters for 1.8” HDDs.

Additionally, since the price wasn’t reduced to the psychologically attractive $199 on this device that is getting no new features and is using the same YoY components I have to think the Classic sales are doing well enough on their own to not warrant a price drop. Now that we have a stopping of the HDD platter density, the next step should be a drop in price when Apple feels that a price drop will boost sales enough to increase profit and prolong its life until it’s just becomes too costly to maintain this well worn tech that long ago paid for the R&D in unit sales. That could be awhile.

Quote:

Not forgetting this is the only ipod that can be operated by the visually impaired. It really should be kept, storage upped, price dropped a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is a very good observation. Now that you bring this up, I have a feeling that Apple is going to hear about this one, and may have to rethink.

Don’t forget the iPod Shuffle, which has physical controls and voice feedback. And also don’t forge the Accesiblity features Apple built into iOS.

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/r...es/iphone.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I was hoping they would bump it to 250gb when Steve said all iPods were being updated. How hard would that have been? After that POS nano was introduced and then the touch that can't take decent photos it was starting to become a potential highlight of the event for me.

Only way to bump it that much, even if Toshiba was making denser 1.8” platters would be to add a second platter, so you’d get at least 320GB with the current density HDD. Apple dropped the double-platter Classic a couple years ago and upped the single-platter from 80GB to 120GB, then to 160GB last year. I think it’s safe to say the thinner, single-platter, half-capacity Classic was the least popular or they would have continued it and not the single-platter Classic.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Or keep the price but bump it up to 320 GB.

I think the higher-capacity 1.8" drives are all 5400 RPM, intended for computers and not media players. Perhaps it's a battery life concern.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, the visually impaired surely do not deserve to hear or carry around more than a couple of hundred songs, right?

Irrelevant to the discussion. The claim was made that there is no iPod that can be used by the visually impaired and I proved that claimed demonstrably false.

But, if you want to go down that route, please tell me how a blind person navigates a 10000 song collection without being able to see a screen and does not have access to "VoiceOver"? It's like complaining that they took the Braille off of the drive-thru ATM.

Edit: Just to be clear, when I say "see the screen", I am talking about the iPod Classic.
post #27 of 47
I think the classic will stay on as long as the touch memory maxes out below 100GB. After that I think it will be killed. It is that last device to use iPod OS and it's obvious that Apple is moving all of the mobile devices to iOS now.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #28 of 47
Flash storage will probably catch up by next year. And the visually impaired can use VoiceOver.

Quote:

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Flash storage will probably catch up by next year. And the visually impaired can use VoiceOver.

Capacity is only way in which it can catch up. There is capacity for a given volume and cost for that same given volume. Capacity-wise, i believe NAND surpassed the 1.8 HDD capacity well over years ago, its cost that is still an issue.
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teunis View Post

I absolutely LOVE the iPod Classic. I can load it up with everything I have and plug it into my car's media interface and use the car's controls almost exactly like an iPod. A Touch isn't the kind of iPod you hide and a nano is still too small.

Though my Classic will last for many many years to come I hope it is not discontinued.

I completely agree with you. I keep my whole library and plug it into my car's audio interface. I have over 100g's, so putting the music on my puny 15g car hard drive is NOT an option. I hope like hell they don't get rid of the classic! I plan on buying a second family car and I want to put a classic in that one, so we can have all our music in the other car. DON'T KILL THE CLASSIC!
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teunis View Post

I agree - I was hoping for a 240GB upgrade. I have a Classic loaded up with Lossless music attached to my car's system. I put it on album shuffle, and off I go on a car trip with endless (almost) entertainment, with only music I truly like, and great uncompressed sound. It makes those 5 hour drives a lot better (it holds about 620 albums, which is good, but I'd like even more).

If I'm travelling and want music at night, I use a fat-boy nano, which is a great design for me, but I wish it held more than 8GB.
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

Irrelevant to the discussion. The claim was made that there is no iPod that can be used by the visually impaired and I proved that claimed demonstrably false.

But, if you want to go down that route, please tell me how a blind person navigates a 10000 song collection without being able to see a screen and does not have access to "VoiceOver"? It's like complaining that they took the Braille off of the drive-thru ATM.

Edit: Just to be clear, when I say "see the screen", I am talking about the iPod Classic.

Wow, you are so super smart! (/sarcasm)

On a more serious note (and leaving aside the fact that visually impaired does not equal blind), there are lots of ways in which even a blind person can take advantage of thousands of songs. (S)he can create hundreds of playlists on the computer by genre, by artist, mood etc (e.g., on iTunes on the or computer) and use the shuffle feature within a playlist. (S)he can navigate by developing a sense for the number of turns of the click wheel to get from A-Z. I can think of of many other ways.

In any event, our discussion is a little theoretical, since I assume you are not blind. I am not either.
post #33 of 47
I'm very happy with my Classic. While I don't have all of my extensive music collection on it, having a large storage capacity allows me to carry around a collection of video material, podcasts, and music without having to be concerned with running our of room. As one posting noted, sales on Amazon still look reasonable, at least no reason to kill it off at this time. I can understand that Apple has little reason to upgrade or promote the Classic, but it sounds like it is still bringing in enough revenue to keep in the line up. Remember that Apple has been carrying Apple TV for quite a while, and it's unlikely that was making much money for the company.
post #34 of 47
I am frankly astounded that Apple neither updated the iPod Classic nor even mentioned it!!!?? This makes no sense. I can well imagine that their major sales are coming from the Nano and the Touch. But there must be tens of thousands of us out here (like me) who need and want to have 150 GB worth of storage in a pocket.

Not having a large capacity iPod begs the whole question of how to manage and use the large amounts of music that they're selling through the iTunes store. Unless one imagines that the principal player of all this music is the desktop Mac .... well then how are we to listen to and carry all that music around? Manually managing the tiny capacity of these Nanos and Touches in order to carry the particular thing you need at a given moment is both arduous and impractical.

I hear people suggesting that the industry is waiting until solid state drives become large enough to handle these big volumes. Well that may be, but what are we supposed to do in the meantime? I don't see a problem with continuing to use the existing Classic providing they make it and sell it. But I'm again astounded that Steve Jobs neither mentioned the model nor referenced the issue that will now face many of us. Just a simple assurance that we're working on it. Or that they'll continue to sell the Classic. Any comment would be helpful to those of us pondering next steps...
post #35 of 47
I think that one thing a lot of you guys are forgetting is that, sure the classic is an old design when it comes to the hip and trendy apple culture.

BUT

when it comes to the music industry the classic is a tried and tested solid piece of equipment.

If you are playing live you don't want to have the hassle of sliding to unlock and then fumbling around trying to press play on the ipod app only to have it stutter and change track on you.

This was where the classic shines.

So for all the nay sayers saying that the classic is dead etc, maybe take a look at the other industries that use it.
And before people say you can use the new shuffle, 2Gb wont hold most raw WAV samples what we use live. Let alone all 10.

I for one hope that Apple change the classic to the "ipod Professional".
Make it full alu unibody so its more robust for when hauling to a gig. Give it more output options for things such as 3.5mm Jack and 1x optical out, larger battery. Screen size doesn't have to play video but needs to be large enough to read when on darkened stage from a distance, maybe larger font and go back to monochrome style screen (blue/black?).
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

I think that one thing a lot of you guys are forgetting is that, sure the classic is an old design when it comes to the hip and trendy apple culture.

BUT

when it comes to the music industry the classic is a tried and tested solid piece of equipment.

If you are playing live you don't want to have the hassle of sliding to unlock and then fumbling around trying to press play on the ipod app only to have it stutter and change track on you.

This was where the classic shines.

So for all the nay sayers saying that the classic is dead etc, maybe take a look at the other industries that use it.
And before people say you can use the new shuffle, 2Gb wont hold most raw WAV samples what we use live. Let alone all 10.

I for one hope that Apple change the classic to the "ipod Professional".
Make it full alu unibody so its more robust for when hauling to a gig. Give it more output options for things such as 3.5mm Jack and 1x optical out, larger battery. Screen size doesn't have to play video but needs to be large enough to read when on darkened stage from a distance, maybe larger font and go back to monochrome style screen (blue/black?).

All good points. I really like the suggestion of 'iPod Pro.'

I hope enough iPod Pro aficionados email Apple on this.
post #37 of 47
200 gigs. $299 maybe $349. That's when the Classic will die. I think generation 5.5 was the true last of its kind. It was the last white one, the way it started.
post #38 of 47
I agree with those who love their classic as I love mine. Big storage and the ability to use it without looking away from the road makes it perfect for my car. iPod touch has a ton of stuff I would not use as I keep the Classic in my car as a complete music source and traveling university.

Maybe those of us who love it should email Apple and suggest either keeping the Classic, or creating a solid state replacement that has tactile controls for use while driving.
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #39 of 47
IMHO

The Classic has by far the largest screen.

Because it seems that Apple is pushing more and more visual features, music videos, tv shows, and eventually full length movies, it would seem prudent to keep the classic around to not only see the visual media but to store it as well. A bump in the capacity would also fare out easier and most likely cheaper in the classic

If they keep making the players smaller, hence the screen smaller as well. I fail to see how Apple intends to push and make money off of visual downloads. The selling point is being able to clearly see movement on a screen such as the classic. With the Nano, which is by all means limited, not so much.
post #40 of 47
Quote:

Actually you do have vioce command in the iPhone since 3GS and equipped with mic and all the new iPod touch should have this option too. So although the voice command needs a huge overhaul for playing music it kind of works.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's iPod classic survives another year, but sees no changes