or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Amazon offers purchases of Fox and ABC shows for 99 cents

Amazon offers purchases of Fox and ABC shows for 99 cents - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Why why why!? I mean we read the articles in the NYT, WSJ I mean really. Why does someone rent something when it's FREE on the networks home page? And of course torrents but even legally, you can watch the same show for FREE! It makesno sense whatsoever.
Done with spat.

Hugs all.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Typical Apple customers pay huge prices for convenience. They could make better coffee at home, for example, but instead they buy $4 coffee to go

Quite a sweeping condemnation.

I use Folgers from the big red can (is it a can if it is actually a plastic tub?)

But maybe I am not the typical Apple consumer; after all, I only own 2 ipad's, and iPod touch 4g, and (soon) aTV.

Actually, I am willing to pay for the convenience of something like Amazon VOD or Apple TV... Especially if it means I can cut my cable cost because I am providing my family with similarly convenient entertainment options at a lower price.
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Okay, just part of it. Netflix isn't very impressive...every device has Netflix capability. Wii, PS3, TVs, Blu-ray players, and the $69 Roku box (which includes access to Amazon's cheaper video on demand service).

Roku has more "channels" to choose from than Apple TV. I can't judge Apple completely on its day 1 media deals, but I can judge Apple for not being able to secure anything impressive. YouTube, Flickr, MobileMe, and Netflix. FOX and ABC (which is a given since it's Disney...so effectively Apple was only able to convince ONE broadcast TV channel). That's It? Four services and two broadcast TV channels you can get over the air for free.

Samsung's list of Apps completely demolishes what the Apple TV has to offer. These Apps are available built into their (extremely popular) TVs or in their Blu-ray players (WARNING PDF LINK) It's not a huge amount, but it's still incredibly impressive compared to the Apple TV.

Even Samsung, with no experience, has more apps than Apple on their internet TV device? For real?

The fact remains that the iPhone/iPod touch have WAY more media options than an Apple TV. Rumors suggested that the Apple TV would have an adaptation of the App store, and Apple has disappointed.

iPhone/iPod touch are market leaders. This Apple TV is a follower. It does everything that previous devices have done only in many ways it does it worse. The only way that Apple can break into the video streaming space is if they exceed what their predecessors have already done, and they have failed so far. They need to have exactly what the iPhone has on the Apple TV - an App store where any media company can design an App and put their content - whether it be a social media, TV, movie, or game App - on the Apple TV.

No 1080p, either I don't really care much for it, but this isn't about being future proof anymore. My grandfather bought a 1080p TV over a 720p TV. It wasn't very expensive. His computer is 7 years old...what does this tell you about Apple's exclusion of 1080p capability? Last I checked I could watch 1080p videos on Youtube (but not on an Apple TV...on my computer or PS3).

A solid 80% of those Samsung "apps" are precisely the kind of list padding crap-ware that Apple would never touch with a 10 foot pole. Loading up an internet enabled device with this kind of stuff is exactly analogous to the cell carrier bloatware that used to be so ubiquitous, pre-iPhone (although Android seems to be being used as a tool to return us to those wonderful days). And what kind of UI are all those games supposed to have? You have looked at a Samsung remote, right?

Clearly actual platforms are going to be the real winners in this race, not devices with a bunch of half-assed, cobbled together "apps" designed to catch the eye of a list pursuing buyer. It seems pretty likely that Apple will, at some point, use AppleTV to extend the reach of the iOS platform, and that will mean access to the App Store and some kind of enhanced controller. Just because they haven't done that yet doesn't give something like Samsung's nonsense a leg up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Good for Amazon. And good for me... I love it.

Your turn, Apple.

Good for me too..Very Lucky to have Apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Amazon offers purchases of Fox and ABC shows for 99 cents