or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 10 now available for download
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iTunes 10 now available for download

post #1 of 154
Thread Starter 
After minor delays, Apple's latest version of iTunes is ready for download.

iTunes 10, announced Wednesday by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, includes the new Ping music social networking feature, AirPlay for wireless media streaming, a redesigned interface and a new logo.

The new iTunes logo keeps the prominently displayed musical notes, but no longer contains a CD in the background, a fitting change given that Jobs expects Apple to surpass all CD sales in the U.S. by next spring.

During Wednesday's keynote, Jobs said the new version would be available starting Wednesday, but users were unable to download the software for most of the day. Instead, a "Coming Soon" button redirected users to iTunes 9.2.1. Some users have reported trouble downloading the file, although increased traffic to Apple's website following Wednesday's announcements may be the cause.

The 82mb file can be downloaded at apple.com/itunes/download/.
post #2 of 154
Cool - downloading now.

I didn't think it would be out until next week? Oh well!
post #3 of 154
Still does not work on my Windows machine. Says 9.2.1 is the most current version
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #4 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Still does not work on my Windows machine. Says 9.2.1 is the most current version

Direct Links

Mac OS X

Windows 32 Bit

Windows 64 Bit
post #5 of 154
yea, I guess this is not an update therefore it doesn't work through the Apple Software Updater, it requires a manual download and install.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #6 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

yea, I guess this is not an update therefore it doesn't work through the Apple Software Updater, it requires a manual download and install.

Still, a bit weird that it has to be done through Apple's website rather than Software Update.

Downloading right now....
post #7 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Still does not work on my Windows machine. Says 9.2.1 is the most current version

Same for me when I select 'Check for updates' on my Windows XP
post #8 of 154
Maybe since its a major update its considered a seperate object therefore not included in Software Update, but i'm just speculating. I think in the past they did the same thing, and required you to download new versions via apple.com.
post #9 of 154
Windows 64 bit version available.

OS X version still 32 bit.

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.
post #10 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Windows 64 bit version available.

OS X version still 32 bit.

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.

It's a big deal when your library has over 200,000 items of various sorts. (not illegal music, just sound effects, clips, pdfs, on top of years of music collection from CD and purchasing, etc.)
post #11 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post

Direct Links

Mac OS X

Windows 32 Bit

Windows 64 Bit

Thanks Scuba!
post #12 of 154
Where's Ping? Not obvious.....
post #13 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where's Ping? Not obvious.....

Inside the iTunes store. Once in the store, it should either be in the top right corner, or scrolling through the Features.

Once you opt-in and accept the terms, you should see a Ping option underneath the iTunes Store tab on the left sidebar.
post #14 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post

Maybe since its a major update its considered a seperate object therefore not included in Software Update, but i'm just speculating. I think in the past they did the same thing, and required you to download new versions via apple.com.

It's up in Software Update now!
post #15 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshong View Post

Inside the iTunes store. Once in the store, it should either be in the top right corner, or scrolling through the Features.

Once you opt-in and accept the terms, you should see a Ping option underneath the iTunes Store tab on the left sidebar.

Very cool. Thanks!
post #16 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Windows 64 bit version available.

OS X version still 32 bit.

Wonderful. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal but it's the principal of the thing don't you know.

Yeah, still 32 bit, but it does run much faster. Remember 64 bit Snow Leopard can run 32 bit applications. I don't think 64 bit Windows is capable of such a feat.
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
Reply
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
Reply
post #17 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Yeah, still 32 bit, but it does run much faster. Remember 64 bit Snow Leopard can run 32 bit applications. I don't think 64 bit Windows is capable of such a feat.

It sure is. I know Snow Leopard is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I love it on my MacBook), but not everything it does is a "feat."

Besides, 64-bit Windows (or OSX) would be practically useless if it didn't support 32-bit programs, since 99% of the programs out there for both OSes are still 32-bit.
post #18 of 154
I have iTunes 10. I used to have folders than contained all my various playlists. Now I just see the folders and the songs are inside, but not organized by playlist. Any idea how to fix this?
post #19 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentonkyle23 View Post

I have iTunes 10. I used to have folders than contained all my various playlists. Now I just see the folders and the songs are inside, but not organized by playlist. Any idea how to fix this?

Odd, I'm not experiencing this problem. The icons have changed, but all my playlists, smart playlists, and folders of such, are still arranged just as they were before. Maybe try repairing permissions?

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #20 of 154
It's so....gray.
post #21 of 154
I actually like the UI - I haven't in the past.
post #22 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentonkyle23 View Post

I have iTunes 10. I used to have folders than contained all my various playlists. Now I just see the folders and the songs are inside, but not organized by playlist. Any idea how to fix this?

Sorry to hear that... I don't have this problem.
post #23 of 154


To the moron that designed the UI for iTunes 10. OS X is not Ubuntu. If every damn application is going to follow it's own UI layout including position of icons for Window minimize, maximize and close, then we don't need UI guidelines.

What was wrong with the old iTunes icon? What is everything on the navigation bar on the left side grey? Why the are the checkboxes now flat without 3D? ...
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #24 of 154
Yeah, the preponderance of gray is particularly perplexing.

Weirdly, the Windows version has OS-conforming minimize, maximize, and close buttons. Why didn't they follow suit for the OSX version? \
post #25 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

It's so....gray.

I noticed that too. Eh....it's......ok I guess. They also rearranged the close, minimize and expand buttons. Who thought of breaking the consistency of the Ul? Fire him.
post #26 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I noticed that too. Eh....it's......ok I guess. They also rearranged the close, minimize and expand buttons. Who thought of breaking the consistency of the Ul? Fire him.

I like the simplistic look and the Close/Maximize/Optimize buttons on the side and small, but I dont like the Dock icon. It just looks wrong compared to everything else, though I dont care enough to change it. I do wonder if this is indicative of the UI changes well see in 10.7.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by solema View Post

Yeah, the preponderance of gray is particularly perplexing.

Weirdly, the Windows version has OS-conforming minimize, maximize, and close buttons. Why didn't they follow suit for the OSX version? \

Yup.

Whomever designed the UI updates or the new icon should be canned.
post #28 of 154
It was a pretty big deal to change the icon for iTunes. That icon is the brand behind a huge business inside of Apple. I can understand why Apple would want to get away from a CD-based logo since the iTunes Store is killing CDs anyway. The iTunes icon has changed before (mostly colors) but the basic design has been around for a long long time.

Other notes...

It does seem faster, especially in album cover views. It's much better for people like myself with very large libraries.

The lack of color in the interface is weird....can we get just a little color back?

I'm also not happy about the window button changes since they are a raging interface guideline violation. The only reason for it is that it matches the orientation for the minimize screen. But it's not enough to break guidelines for a proper window control. If I wanted a program with non-standard controls, I'd be using Windows.

Airplay control of remote devices like Airport Expresses is tweaked. You can now individually control the volume of remote players (very nice).

Still no ability to show songs on a remote server in anything but the list view with no album art (yeah I know, it would be slow as Christmas...)

Be sure to update your Genius since the old data gets purged.

Genius stations seem to be unchanged.

Still 32-bit on the Mac....so much for the 64-bit all Cocpa iTunes I was predicting for version 10.

TIger compatibility is history....Leopard or Snow Leopard only (G4, G5 and Intel).

iTunes 9 introduced the ability to sync all music to devices at 128 kb/sec sample rate. It would be nice if the bit rate was changeable. iTunes 10 did not change this. (Grrrr)
post #29 of 154
I wish that there were some way to add the color back in.... this is so gray that it reminds me of Stalin's Russia. I also am not impressed by the movement of the close, maximize, minimize buttons, they clash with the rest of the macs UI.
post #30 of 154
Excellent points and observations, Sevenfeet.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 154
Hasn't iTunes always be a bit out of phase with the global UI Feeling of OS X ?
I don't see why everyone is suprised.
post #32 of 154
They removed the title bar

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply
post #33 of 154
It was absolutely a terrible idea to have iTunes be the only program with vertical buttons. not cool
post #34 of 154
At macthemes someone wrote about a hidden preference for itunes 10 to restore the normal titlebar buttons.

Code:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -int -1



This reminds me of the time they where experimenting with tabs in the titlebar in safari and had a hidden preference to restore the old. Perhaps the same will happen with iTunes with the next revision restoring the old titlebar.
post #35 of 154
Despite multiple attempts, I am not able to post a photo to my Ping profile.

Likely the servers are overwhelmed with new subscribers to the 'social music networking' service.
post #36 of 154
too grey on the left column, and the icon is hideously out of place in the dock :|
post #37 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke_tetsu View Post

This reminds me of the time they where experimenting with tabs in the titlebar in safari and had a hidden preference to restore the old. Perhaps the same will happen with iTunes with the next revision restoring the old titlebar.

If there could be an hidden option to reanable the tabs in the titlebar... I thinks it's way better than the usual way.
post #38 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

Hasn't iTunes always be a bit out of phase with the global UI Feeling of OS X ?
I don't see why everyone is suprised.

I believe it's actually foretold the look of OS X and other Apple apps that have come after it. IIRC, iTunes has been the first app to get a new look, then other Apple apps follow.

I sure hope it isn't the case this time. What's with the absence of color since Leopard 10.5? Are we seeing what Apple has planned for OS X 10.7 with iTunes 10?
post #39 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork Heidelberg View Post

I believe it's actually foretold the look of OS X and other Apple apps that have come after it. IIRC, iTunes has been the first app to get a new look, then other Apple apps follow.

I sure hope it isn't the case this time. What's with the absence of color since Leopard 10.5? Are we seeing what Apple has planned for OS X 10.7 with iTunes 10?

I agree with you but not all itune's look points camed to OSX in general, for exemple the scroll bar have been different for a long time.
post #40 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtz View Post

too grey on the left column, and the icon is hideously out of place in the dock :|

I couldn't agree more. However, I believe it foretells what is to come.

The new icon looks like it would belong more on an iOS device than on a desktop. And yet I think that is the direction Apple wants to go and I can imagine Apple cooking up ways to unify or at least reconcile the two.

I wouldn't be surprised then if Apple moves towards new icons for all the iLife apps.

The standard desktop OS has basically remained the same for decades now, and yet I can't shake the feeling that some revolution is coming.

Oh and I agree... the new columns are so devoid of color that it actually looks a little sad. And I hate hate hate hate hate the way Apple is now using the light silver frames. In the past, I could easily tell which window or program was active by checking which window frame was grayed out (inactive) and which was dark (active). But the new color scheme actually masks this as ALL the window frames look light now (inactive) and the minimize/maximize buttons are no longer "lit" in color until you mouse over, making it even LESS obvious which application is open.

GRRRRRRrrrr.

Does Apple secretly expect us to move to using a single app at a time instead of the multitasking that we've grown accustomed to?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 10 now available for download