or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

post #1 of 110
Apple has posted an iPad software update page on its website with details of the forthcoming iOS 4.2.

The page, which went live Thursday, offers a preliminary look at some of the "100+ new features and innovations" for "the world's most advanced mobile operating system." The update is coming in November to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

While the iPhone and iPod touch have already been upgraded to iOS 4, the iPad remains on a custom version, iOS 3.2. A few of the features of iOS 4, such as spell correction and support for Bluetooth keyboards, have been incorporated into the iPad-exclusive iOS 3.2, but iPad users will have to wait until November for the full update.

iPhone and iPod touch users, on the other hand, can upgrade to iOS 4.1 on Sept. 8.

Key additions to iOS 4.2 include folders, multitasking, support for wireless printing, and the new AirPlay wireless media streaming feature.

Game Center, improved Mail, finding and highlighting text on web pages, enhanced enterprise support, accessibility enhancements, and keyboard and dictionary enhancements are other features touted on Apple's website.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs demoed iOS 4.2 for iPad at Wednesday's media event.
post #2 of 110
Does this mean that printing will also be allowed from an iPhone? Or is this a "Pages Only" feature?
post #3 of 110
You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.
post #4 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

I'll choose wireless print over USB any day.
post #5 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

Wow. Mr. Negative chimed in quick. The iPad doesn't need a USB port. Wireless printing on such a mobile device makes way more sense. The days of hardwired connectivity are coming to a close. You seem to have a strong history of complaining and complaining. And usually about stuff that isn't that important. A USB drive? Besides, by your logic, no device could ever be released because there would always be stuff it was missing. Of course apple is going to add features as a product stays on the market. That's what makes it a good product.
post #6 of 110
Quote:

That's easily the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you really want to plugin a USB printer to your iPad? Maybe an RJ11 telephone jack on the iPhone instead of cell? Ethernet port instead of wifi? Personally I'm simply outraged the iPad doesn't have an AT keyboard port. USB? Bluetooth? Non-sense! Gives me some wires or gives me death.
post #7 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice? Will Apple be implementing this as a web service? If so the printer will need to have an public IP address
post #8 of 110
Quote:

No kidding! Pining for wires? What will the trolls think of next?
post #9 of 110
And yet people still feed it.
post #10 of 110
Quote:

IPad needs a USB port but I don't think anybody will ever us it for printing. Frankly it is a significant screw up on Apples part.
Quote:
Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later.

Apple simply responded to heavy demand. You can't blame Apple for not realizing what they had. Well you can, but the Mini tablet market hardly existed before Touch.
Quote:
Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

Thankfully the law has change yet again. Instead of whining consider how far Touch has come since introduction. These devices have significantly improved in a very very short time. That is a good thing for the people actually using them.

Dave
post #11 of 110
The posting of the Coming Soon page was probably partially motivated by the recent Samsung Android tablet announcement to make sure people consider that improvements are coming to the iPad before thinking about the Galaxy Tab.

I wonder if AirPlay is coming to the iPhone and iPod Touch? I don't see a technical reason why. You'd think iPhone and 4th gen iPod Touch owners would have more user content to show on the Apple TV seeing they can go around shooting pictures and videos.
post #12 of 110
Actually good to see that ANDROID is having an affect on APPLE in the sense that now APPLE must keep up and beat the features on ANDROID.
post #13 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudist View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice? Will Apple be implementing this as a web service? If so the printer will need to have an public IP address

Not entirely. You can wireless print from a computer now if it is hooked up to another Mac or router. I'm sure it uses some variant of Bonjour.
post #14 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Actually good to see that ANDROID is having an affect on APPLE in the sense that now APPLE must keep up and beat the features on ANDROID.

Actually, I hope Apple doesn't chase every competitor down every rabbit hole the way Microsoft is doing. Apple should focus on giving its customers what they want, not chasing their competitors. Unless of course you think licensing Mac OS to Mac clone makers to compete with Microsoft Windows in the 1990s was a good idea

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post

Does this mean that printing will also be allowed from an iPhone? Or is this a "Pages Only" feature?

If it's part of the system preferences then it's system-wide.
post #16 of 110
Quote:

It will probably just use Bonjour to locate printers on the same local network. Either printers with built in ethernet/wifi or printers shared from a computer or other host device. Perhaps an option to manually add a printer if it exists outside of the local subnet in enterprise environments.
post #17 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

That's easily the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you really want to plugin a USB printer to your iPad? Maybe an RJ11 telephone jack on the iPhone instead of cell? Ethernet port instead of wifi? Personally I'm simply outraged the iPad doesn't have an AT keyboard port. USB? Bluetooth? Non-sense! Gives me some wires or gives me death.

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.
post #18 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Wow. Mr. Negative chimed in quick. The iPad doesn't need a USB port.

Why of course it doesn't. If it did, then Mr. Jobs would have told you so. After all, he does your thinking for you.

Would you please think for yourself and not allow yourself to be blinded by whatever Apple says?
post #19 of 110
Quote:

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

Your a 10 inch device!

Quote:

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Obviously you havent seen the camera kit. Its amazing what you can find when you actually look and dont jump to conclusions....time to put the mat away.

Quote:

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

Actually if you want to get technical, NO they didnt. They changed the 13" to the macbook PRO. So in reality they discontinued the 13" alu unibody "macbook"

Quote:

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAH oh the irony... btw meet my friend Mr Kettle.
post #20 of 110
So the weird thing is that we were told 4.1 was the unifying iOS. Now 4.2 is coming to the iPad. It isn't clear if that's the unified iOS. Is 4.2 going to be for the iPhone and iPod Touch too or will the iPad always have its own version?
post #21 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

So the weird thing is that we were told 4.1 was the unifying iOS. Now 4.2 is coming to the iPad. It isn't clear if that's the unified iOS. Is 4.2 going to be for the iPhone and iPod Touch too or will the iPad always have its own version?

Well looking at the podcast of the event at 19 mins and 25 seconds we see this...

Not all models would mean the gen 1 touch and iphone. so probably just the things that cant use 4.0 atm.

I really wish people would actually watch these things instead of reading the blogs and then asking questions that are clearly there.
post #22 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Not all models would mean the gen 1 touch and iphone. so probably just the things that cant use 4.0 atm.

I really wish people would actually watch these things instead of reading the blogs and then asking questions that are clearly there.

Actually, it could presumably end up being restricted to the A4 chip, which means the 3GS and iPod Touch 3 would be nixed.

Doesn't matter, as I'm getting a Touch 4.
post #23 of 110
Can we have wireless sync if they're so keen on no wires.
post #24 of 110
Does Airplay stream movies from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iPad?
post #25 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Does Airplay stream movies from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iPad?

I think it does,

But, there's an app for that now-- StreamToMe:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strea...325327899?mt=8

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman;

Perhaps you should consider those of us who actually take our ipads away from the sofa and travel with it. It's a complete pain to print when you can't configure a network.
post #27 of 110
When will you guys learn to ignore the trolls? Back OT, no love for search text in a safari page? That seems like a great little addition to me. Now I can easily search for my favorite trolls on any AI discussion, copy their monikers, and banish them to my ignore list.
post #28 of 110
Quote:

actually you're entirely wrong. The camera connection kit has an sd card slot and a usb port. You can connect any camera, with card or not and transfer/view pics without a computer.

This is an option, as is the keyboard dock. Apple realised from the beginning that some people would want this. So the option was provided.

The option exists, your point is irrelevant. If you want a device with different functionality, buy a different device.

Re. Firewire - I repeat my point. Fw800 was available on different models and 800 to 400 cables easily available and inexpensive. You make no point.

If you don't like a device, or it doesn't do all that you would like, don't buy it. Don't stamp your feet like a child.
post #29 of 110
Quote:

Quote:

Not entirely. You can wireless print from a computer now if it is hooked up to another Mac or router. I'm sure it uses some variant of Bonjour.

On a Mac the drivers are local, but where are the drivers going to reside for iPad printing?

Will the iPad have to DL new drivers as needed, potentially taking up copious amounts of space, telling you it cant DL the necessary drivers do to a lack of space, or taking extended periods of time to DL the drivers before the first printing can occur, or will this require you to have a certain printer, or some other option.

Drivers for printing have gotten huge, but if its just the barebones being pulled into a unified print manager its possible that the drivers could be on the iPad, but I am guessing that they wont.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #30 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Actually, it could presumably end up being restricted to the A4 chip, which means the 3GS and iPod Touch 3 would be nixed.

Doesn't matter, as I'm getting a Touch 4.

It could be, but I doubt it. The A4 is mainly adding efficiency over the Cortex-A8 in the 3GS, and wireless printing isnt a processor heavy task so Id think the 3G could handle it fine. Of course, you never do, but it would seem woefully artificial if they did that.
post #31 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, I hope Apple doesn't chase every competitor down every rabbit hole the way Microsoft is doing. Apple should focus on giving its customers what they want, not chasing their competitors.

How about they give us a proper filesystem, so that I can upload PDFs once and then open them with whatever PDF reader I want to install. Having to upload the same PDFs multiple times if I decide to install a new reader, using whatever potentially clunky upload mechanism the creator has written for it (e.g. a built in web server with upload capability) blows chunks. I would love to be able to use something like rsync to easily and quickly keep my iPad 'user created content' in sync with a folder on my desktop and be free to read/write/edit that content using any app I want. It would make the iPad so much more usable.

Do you honestly think they're going to do this of their own accord, just because we ask them nicely? I don't. They will do it eventually, but only when Android tablets take off, provide stiff competition; this functionality is part of Android, and Apple are getting panned publicly for the lack of it. So Andoid is going to be good for us, because it will keep Apple on their toes.
post #32 of 110
Finally! Text search in Safari!
post #33 of 110
Lack of native printing from the iPad was a major deal breaker for most of us enterprise and education users. Provided it's implemented cleanly, you'll see a big jump in sales to these sectors.
post #34 of 110
Quote:

Cut and Paste too. You would have thought it was some sort of innovation instead of a standard feature to listen to the hype.
post #35 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Of course apple is going to add features as a product stays on the market. That's what makes it a good product.

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.
post #36 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

Why of course it doesn't. If it did, then Mr. Jobs would have told you so. After all, he does your thinking for you.

Would you please think for yourself and not allow yourself to be blinded by whatever Apple says?

You are obnoxious. I refuse to argue with you. Get a grip on reality. Steve jobs is well within his rights to decide certain technologies are not relevant in his products. Send him an email to request those things or don't buy his products. It's very simple. But why mock the people who like the products and have no need for a stupid USB port on their iPad. If it was there, I would never once have had need for it. Plus, you mock apple for introducing new and helpful features as if every feature in your little brain should have been there from the get go. Why is it that you can't be happy with how far technology has come and all the new things that companies like apple and google have introduced to the market. Oh, that's right, cause you're a whinner. That's all you seem to now how to do.
post #37 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Can we have wireless sync if they're so keen on no wires.

Right.

It is absolutely NOT TRUE that Apple does away with wires. Wired printing would be a good thing.

And eliminating wires ain't got nothing to do with nothing.
post #38 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

You are completely ignoring the important of the way a feature is implemented. Sure “copy and paste has been around for x decades blah blah blah.” If you just look at a white sheet it wouldn’t appear any different to have these features across systems, but if you actually analyze, use and understand how they work you’ll realize that a feature is much more than what you can technically put on a spec sheet, but what you one can feasibly use to make the experience better. No other OS has yet to match the iPhone’s cut and paste on a touch UI.
post #39 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

When will you guys learn to ignore the trolls? Back OT, no love for search text in a safari page? That seems like a great little addition to me. Now I can easily search for my favorite trolls on any AI discussion, copy their monikers, and banish them to my ignore list.

Another basic feature of every browser. It is not notable that it is being added. It is notable that it was missing for so long.
post #40 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

If you don't like a device, or it doesn't do all that you would like, don't buy it. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

If you don't like a poster, or he doesn't say all that you would like, don't read his posts. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

Sheesh.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page