or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page - Page 2

post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

A wireless device wouldn't need to be wireless if it had cables.

Seriously?!

You said this out loud. You're losing your touch Blacky.
post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron;

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

It's interesting that a group of people who didn't work on building ios or iPhone know how easy it would have been to include certain features. They picked the ins they thought were most important and included those. As other ones were implemented, they added them. What's wrong with that? It is innovative when you have to be the first to implement it on a device without a mouse or an edit menu. Apple doesn't want to put trash into their products just so it's there. They wait till they get it right and it works well in whatever form factor they are developing.
post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Right.

It is absolutely NOT TRUE that Apple does away with wires. Wired printing would be a good thing.

And eliminating wires ain't got nothing to do with nothing.

The iPad is a mobile, wireless device. It's sort of the point. Correct your grammar and your double negative wouldn't leave you stating that "eliminating wires has everything to do with 'something'".
post #44 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On a Mac the drivers are local, but where are the drivers going to reside for iPad printing?

Will the iPad have to DL new drivers as needed, potentially taking up copious amounts of space, telling you it cant DL the necessary drivers do to a lack of space, or taking extended periods of time to DL the drivers before the first printing can occur, or will this require you to have a certain printer, or some other option.

Drivers for printing have gotten huge, but if its just the barebones being pulled into a unified print manager its possible that the drivers could be on the iPad, but I am guessing that they wont.

Well, my laptop prints wirelessly to the printer connected to my desktop as I have the printer shared in system preferences. The laptop doesn't have the printer drivers, the desktop does. This isn't new technology and is already up and running under the Mac OS, people use it every day. It's just a new device being given this functionality.
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Will the iPad have to DL new drivers as needed, potentially taking up copious amounts of space, telling you it cant DL the necessary drivers do to a lack of space, or taking extended periods of time to DL the drivers before the first printing can occur, or will this require you to have a certain printer, or some other option.
.



Dunno. But I can tell you that I plugged my Win7 laptop into my brother-in-law's USB printer and the computer asked me if I wanted to install the drivers.

Moments later, I printed out my train ticket.

The iPad can't do anything like that, can it? What sort of fancy stuff would have been needed if I wanted to use an iPad to get a train ticket? Would it have been able to print? Wired? Wireless?

What is needed in order to use your neighbor's or friend's or office printer with an iPad?
post #46 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

You seem to miss his point. He is not complaining about new, innovative features being added later. That is what you seem to be talking about.

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

I see, and would you care to list every "basic feature" that you feel Apple should include in every device.

Would you like a Micro Flash port, SD card slot, USB 2 and UBS3, FW 400 and 800, eSATA, 3G, Wi-FI, Blue tooth, fibre channel card, full RAID capability, 6 gigs of ram, printing, infra-red port, an i7 processor, HD 16:9 screen, dial-up modem built in, floppy drive, ADB, SCSI and Parallel ports?

Is that what you think the right way to go is? Please all of the people all of the time and have fugly devices that cost several thousand dollars?

There will always be functionality that some people desire which will not be included in a device. It doesn't matter what Apple put in, it's people like you who would find something to complain about.

The Ipad is a device which was designed for media consumption with light creation potential. It's doing just fine, new functionality is being made available (free of charge) and yet you're still complaining?

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Buy a device which suits your needs.

Troll.
post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are completig ignoring the important of the way a feature is implemented. Sure copy and paste has been around for x decades blah blah blah. If you just look at a white sheet it wouldnt appear any different to have these features across systems, but if you actually analyze, use and understand how they work youll realize that a feature is much more than what you can technically put on a spec sheet, but what you one can feasibly use to make the experience better. No other OS has yet to match the iPhones cut and paste on a touch UI.

You're a riot. It works OK. Not great - for a whole bunch of reasons.

And to think that it took years to finally get it.
post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Dunno. But I can tell you that I plugged my Win7 laptop into my brother-in-law's USB printer and the computer asked me if I wanted to install the drivers.

Moments later, I printed out my train ticket.

The iPad can't do anything like that, can it? What sort of fancy stuff would have been needed if I wanted to use an iPad to get a train ticket? Would it have been able to print? Wired? Wireless?

What is needed in order to use your neighbor's or friend's or office printer with an iPad?

I'd imagine the installation of bonjour and then sharing your printers on the network. Bonjour is freely available to windows and mac users. Also - not forgetting blue-tooth printers out there - only a question of the drivers being created for those, or Apple using a similar auto-detect/auto-install driver model they use with snow leopard.
post #49 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

It's interesting that a group of people who didn't work on building ios or iPhone know how easy it would have been to include certain features. They picked the ins they thought were most important and included those. As other ones were implemented, they added them. What's wrong with that? It is innovative when you have to be the first to implement it on a device without a mouse or an edit menu. Apple doesn't want to put trash into their products just so it's there. They wait till they get it right and it works well in whatever form factor they are developing.


Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.
post #50 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I see, and would you care to list every "basic feature" that you feel Apple should include in every device.

No. I wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Would you like a Micro Flash port, SD card slot, USB 2 and UBS3, FW 400 and 800, eSATA, 3G, Wi-FI, Blue tooth, fibre channel card, full RAID capability, 6 gigs of ram, printing, infra-red port, an i7 processor, HD 16:9 screen, dial-up modem built in, floppy drive, ADB, SCSI and Parallel ports?

Is that what you think the right way to go is?


Nope. Wrong again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post



Troll.


Strike 3. Bye.
post #51 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.

Basic functionality.

Well, let's look at the basic functionality of the this device as marketed at launch
  • browse the web
  • read books
  • listen to music
  • watch movies
  • play games.
  • perform light content creation
  • view images
  • use optional camera connection kit to connect camera and transfer/view images
  • use optional bluetooth keyboard or keyboard dock if you wish to type a lot of content
  • sync that content back to your computer.

It seems to do all of that. So I see no issue.

And - wait - what's this? It's going to do more and to have this additional functionality, over and above the device's advertised functions, is going to be free of charge?

And some people are complaining?

LMFAO.
post #52 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

No. I wouldn't.




Nope. Wrong again!




Strike 3. Bye.

Almost amusing. You have no responses because you have no point.

You won't even list the 'basic features' you feel are missing and denigrate Apple for daring to miss out of a product which I assume you haven't bought.

I do hope you're either 14 or in counselling of some sort.
post #53 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I'd imagine the installation of bonjour and then sharing your printers on the network. Bonjour is freely available to windows and mac users. Also - not forgetting blue-tooth printers out there - only a question of the drivers being created for those, or Apple using a similar auto-detect/auto-install driver model they use with snow leopard.


Are you saying that I would have needed to install software on his computer? Instead uf just plugging his printer into my device and being good to go?

That's the sort of rigamarole that should not be necessary in order to do simple tasks. This stuff should just work. Plug in just about any printer, answer "yes" and moments later, print.

Where would Bonjour be needed to be installed? Would his printer have needed to be a wireless printer? What if his computer was standalone or if he had a wired LAN?
post #54 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Are you saying that I would have needed to install software on his computer? Instead uf just plugging his printer into my device and being good to go?

That's the sort of rigamarole that should not be necessary in order to do simple tasks. This stuff should just work. Plug in just about any printer, answer "yes" and moments later, print.

Where would Bonjour be needed to be installed? Would his printer have needed to be a wireless printer? What if his computer was standalone or if he had a wired LAN?

Have you never used a networked printer before? It appears not. I'd imagine the reason for this being a new feature for the device is that the Apple engineers, who you are so much better than (apparantly) needed to answer all these questions, develop processes, drivers, test on different networks across windows and mac etc. etc.

You are very stupid, extremely arrogant and obviously have no IT knowledge if these are the questions you're asking. How does network printing work? Seriously?!
post #55 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.

Leaving the USB off makes as much sense as when Apple left the firewire off of the first unibody macbook. The absolute nerve of Mr. Jobs to decide that every firewire camcorder in the world was useless and should be thrown away. But the people spoke out and under great pressure they brought it back for the next rev.

No, my post was not the "dumbest thing you've ever read." In fact it was spot on. You really made yourself look foolish in front of the other members here. I suggest you edit your post immediately before more people read it. And don't worry. I wont tell anyone. It will be our secret.

If my iPad had a heating element, I wouldn'd need a toaster. 100% accurate, and fully "spot on"(tm). Try to deny it...
post #56 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.

You were the one who made it sond like it should be effortless to add these 'basic features' that are already on other devices . If they were such necessary features, I find it strange that so many people purchase ipads and are happy with them. I'm happy with mine. And I'm happy to see new features added periodically. Maybe they seem like necessary and basic features to you, but like icing on the cake to others. I didn't need to print from my iPad. I watch movies, surf the web, play games, write emails and all sorts of other things from my iPad, meaning there are lots of basic features available. Now, more are being added. What's the problem again? Oh right, everything under the sun should be available at launch. Guess there shouldn't have been cell phones until the basic features of email and browsers could be added. Or maybe we still shouldn't have them because there are so many other things they might theoretically be able to do if we'd just hold out a little longer.
post #57 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

My statement about the iPad's lack of USB is dead on accurate. Since you mentioned the keyboard, it is a miracle Mr. I hate buttons Jobs let you have one. I guess even he realized no one wants to peck out text with a virtual keypad on a ten inch device.

A USB port would be extremely useful. You could hook a digital camera to it and look at your pictures without involving another computer. Yeah it has a card reader if you happen to own a camera with that particular card and you feel like removing and installing it.


I've never read someone complain as much as you about meaningless AND WRONG issues. Maybe someone else replied to your stupid a$$ remark and I missed it.

Have you notice the Apple Camera Connection kit? http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

That kit allows you to hookup a camera via a USB connection or SD card. MacWorld and others have also noted that some USB devices are also recognizes, like a keyboard - for wennies like you who like wires.
post #58 of 110
Many thanks to all the Troll feeders who insist on quoting the entire post of the trolls I have blocked so that I can see their post anyway. Trust me, you will get under their skin far more if you completely ignore them. They post their idiot blather for the sole purpose of baiting you and you bite. Sheesh!
post #59 of 110
C'mon guys. Can we exercise some self-discipline with trolls. 19 mentions of this guy and his pointless views already.

Another thread on the verge of being hijacked......
post #60 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


What is needed in order to use your neighbor's or friend's or office printer with an iPad?

Big deal. Email it to your neighbor/friend. If you can't, don't use an iPad.
post #61 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Have you notice the Apple Camera Connection kit?

You wouldn't need to buy a camera connection kit if the iPad had a USB port. Just like you would' t need wireless printing. You just made my point for me. Don't obsolete something and then sell me a work around and expect me to get all moony eyed. Think differently people.
post #62 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You said this out loud. You're losing your touch Blacky.

Yeah I sure did say it out loud and you should thank me for it. At least I have the guts to say "the emperor has no clothes." Don't be a Jobs drone. Think for yourself. The iPad is not a magical perfect device. It needs improvement and if we don't speak out it will never get it. Join me!
post #63 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Actually if you want to get technical, NO they didnt. They changed the 13" to the macbook PRO. So in reality they discontinued the 13" alu unibody "macbook"

Stop making excuses for Apple when they blunder. Getting rid of firewire was a mistake made by Steve Jobs. He screwed up. That's why he put it back on.

Next year when the new iPhone 5 comes out with the antenna on the inside, you will have similar proof that Steve Jobs is a screw up. Wait and see.
post #64 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

Who wants to hold and iPad with a cord attached? Wireless is the way to go. Leave it to Blackintosh to talk negative about Apple ... AGAIN! Idiot.
post #65 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Easy is irrelevant. Basic and necessary are the correct criteria.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would have great devices. If putting basic functionality into a device is not easy for Apple, then they should get better friggin engineers; don't just leave out basic functionality!

Easy is irrelevant. Necessary is much more important as a decision factor.

Why does the entire Micrsoft Geek world act like sheep running before the wolfpack?

Apple is but a mere fraction of the MS universe, but the MS apologists (like Newtron, or better still columnist/blogger/Windows experts like Paul Thurrott) go out of their way to condemn each new or updated device Apple offers to the public. What breeds that fear and loathing other than an underlying paranoia and knowledge that your mantra may be inferior to that of the other guy.

I've been (and still am) a MS slave since DOS 2.1 and Windows 386, so I won't take any more lectures like those being dished out here. I only own two Apple devices - an iPhone and iPad, and both are better than any similar MS device - period. Let's look at just two of your comments above:

"...don't just leave out basic functionality." - Then why have your idols at Microsoft left cut/copy/past OUT of the Windows Phone 7 first release?

"Easy is irrelevant." If so, why has over ten years of MS development of Tablet PC functionality been an abysmal failure compared to four months of iPad?

The answer to these, and almost EVERY question/criticism you have raised in this series of comments , is that Microsoft's shotgun approach to creating operating systems and software that can do everything from baiting the hook to delivering the can of tuna to the store shelf is outdated, outmoded, and IRRELEVANT (to appropriate your term of art). Both iOS and Android are pointing the way towards smaller, more precise Apps that can be assembled to accomplish what you want from your device (in other words, leave it to the user and developer).

Hardware producers, like Apple, are offering up limited feature first run devices not to keep the Newtrons of the world from having every possible feature their hearts desire, but to fit a specific design profile they have in mind. No USB or standard video out (including lack of HDMI) I'm sure help contribute to a < 1/2" thick, 10 hour running device. The iPad is routinely given "faint praise" by the MS universe of reviewers as a "content consumption device" when these same folks have never added less than $25 worth of software to expand it to netbook class quality (DocToGo; GoodReader; Dropbox; FileBrowser).

Newtron - I realize I am speaking to a brick wall here, but try expanding your horizon just a little bit and seeing that the Swiss Army knife approach is no longer relevant to computer use. In fact, where we are headed is to a user experience where you don't have to think about "using a computer" but just "computing" as a way of life. Sure, it will take the power out of our hands as geeks and part of the LCG (local computer god) community, but for the vast majority of folks they won't have to think about how to use a computer, but how to communicate or get their job done, as the computer becomes another tool in their kit and not a separate device. I'm sure you're not old enough to have experienced the days when a single color TV in a home was a neighborhood event and everyone had to come together to watch Bonanza of Disney in color. Now a TV is ubiquitous...and that's what iOS and Android are leading the way to for the majority of users.
post #66 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

actually you're entirely wrong.

Re. Firewire - I repeat my point. Fw800 was available on different models and 800 to 400 cables easily available and inexpensive. You make no point.

If you don't like a device, or it doesn't do all that you would like, don't buy it. Don't stamp your feet like a child.

Actually I'm entirely right.

Your comment about firewire is...well, I don't know what it is because I don't know what the hell you said. I own a 13 inch MacBook that has no firewire port. Hence my comment about firewire is about as right as you can get. It was wrong for Apple to leave it off, just as it was wrong for Apple to leave USB out of the iPad.

And finally the AI forum poster classic response. You disagree with me and since you can win with an argument of logic, you tell me to shop somewhere else. Ever consider going in the PR department? You comment ranks right up there with Master Jobs's famous "don't hold it that way." And we all know how well that went over.
post #67 of 110
Wired printing for an iPad is kind of a "huh?" feature. The iPad is a mobile device but there really aren't any mobile printers that anyone would lug along with the iPad. I'm not saying there's no such thing as a mobile printer but if you're hauling that thing around then you're probably bringing a full-blown laptop anyway. It sounds like the connection kit option will work in some cases where people have an iPad and need to plug into some else's printer for a reason.

The wireless option is an interesting one... glad someone brought up the question of how it would work. I don't see it being viable as needing to latch onto another computer with printer sharing enabled. The whole printer universe is moving toward wireless (my printer is wireless) and so some kind of driver system for direct wireless connections will be needed. Probably what has held it up to this point.
post #68 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Who wants to hold and iPad with a cord attached? Wireless is the way to go. Leave it to Blackintosh to talk negative about Apple ... AGAIN! Idiot.

Oh oh. Name calling is a violation of the terms of agreement here. I'm afraid I will have to report you to the moderator. You shall be BANNED!

As far as who wants to hold an iPad, you have to since the screen can't hold itself up like a real laptop. You mention wireless. What's one of the points of being wireless? To keep your hands free. And Apple designs a device that you have to constantly hold in your hand.

Another reason why the iPad is a magical failure.
post #69 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If it's part of the system preferences then it's system-wide.

Settings.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #70 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Oh oh. Name calling is a violation of the terms of agreement here. I'm afraid I will have to report you to the moderator. You shall be BANNED!

You must have been that pimple faced, nerdy kid on the playground who ran to the teachers every time someone did something that you felt was wrong. Look, I know you got your ass kicked multiple times and you never got laid. But have to let it go and move on with your life. Time to step up and be a man! You don't want to die a virgin, do you?
post #71 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Another thread on the verge of being hijacked......

Sir, that ship has sailed already.

On topic, I'm thrilled with the printing and AirPlay features. AirPlay with Apple TV is really a phenomenal combination.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #72 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

The iPad needs a USB port like my MacBook needs a floppy disk.

I've been printing wirelessly since the AirPort Extreme became available. The advantage is that you can print to any printer from any device anywhere. Once you go wireless, the need to plug in a cable just to print something gets old fast.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #73 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

You are obnoxious. I refuse to argue with you.

You refuse to argue because you know I'm right and I'll eat you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Get a grip on reality. Steve jobs is well within his rights to decide certain technologies are not relevant in his products. Send him an email to request those things or don't buy his products.

Stop defending Jobs. If he screws up admit it. Telling people "don't buy his products" does not make Apple right. It doesn't make YOU right either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

It's very simple. But why mock the people who like the products and have no need for a stupid USB port on their iPad. If it was there, I would never once have had need for it.

You are not the only customer in the whole world. There are others. It's very simple.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Plus, you mock apple for introducing new and helpful features as if every feature in your little brain should have been there from the get go.

Apple used to be a company that succeeded by innovation while others just copied and then puffed out their chest and said, "look what we created!" Apple's product strategy of late has changed. Now they release a crippled product and over the years add features that should have been there from the get go. Why? To get you to buy the same damned thing over and over.

iPad: No USB, no flash, no camera, no face time
iPhone: No 3G, no GPS, no multi tasking, no video
iPod: just music, then music and pictures, then music and pictures and video

Do you see it now? Good. Glad to have you back. Coffee??
post #74 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Not entirely. You can wireless print from a computer now if it is hooked up to another Mac or router. I'm sure it uses some variant of Bonjour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Perhaps you should consider those of us who actually take our ipads away from the sofa and travel with it. It's a complete pain to print when you can't configure a network.

Bonjour is amazing. And I do work away from the sofa. I took my netbook in to work as soon as I wiped the hard drive and installed OS X on it. Once I was on the office wireless network, the first time I hit command-P, the print dialog came up with the big HP copier/scanner/printer selected. No drivers needed. I didn't even have to search for the printer. Bonjour took care of it without my intervention. I printed immediately and have been ever since, everything from PDFs to Pages documents to Numbers spreadsheets. iPad printing doesn't need to be any more complicated than this.
post #75 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

You must have been that pimple faced, nerdy kid on the playground who ran to the teachers every time someone did something that you felt was wrong. Look, I know you got your ass kicked multiple times and you never got laid. But have to let it go and move on with your life. Time to step up and be a man! You don't want to die a virgin, do you?

This post is a personal attack and off topic. I shall report you again. You shall be BANNED! BANNED!!

And for your information, I have not had a single pimple since I got laid.
post #76 of 110
What I see when I think about the iPad with iOS 4.2, and the retina display, two cameras, and facetime is a amazing device that will have such a huge lead, it will take years for anyone to catch up.
post #77 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The iPad needs a USB port like my MacBook needs a floppy disk.

I've been printing wirelessly since the AirPort Extreme became available. The advantage is that you can print to any printer from any device anywhere. Once you go wireless, the need to plug in a cable just to print something gets old fast.

You are comparing USB to the floppy disc? I think you are getting ahead of yourself. On the other hand this may be the same kind of "forward thinking" that caused Apple to leave USB 3 off of the iMac.

Why not take this a step further in typical AI fashion. Printing? Who needs to print? I haven't printed anything in years!! Printing is so last century! Printing is stupid! I don't need to print so I don't think ANYBODY needs to print!

Printing is evil, like flash and USB and Consumer reports!

Jeez, now I sound like everybody else here.
post #78 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudist View Post

Any guesses at how this will work in practice?

I don't know, but I use Apple's Bonjour Print Services when I have to print from my Windows machines. It just works, whereas adding a printer using the standard Windows interface is a time-consuming hassle. I surmise this will be similar.

Quote:
Will Apple be implementing this as a web service?

I doubt it. That would be more of a hassle.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #79 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You are comparing USB to the floppy disc? I think you are getting ahead of yourself. On the other hand this may be the same kind of "forward thinking" that caused Apple to leave USB 3 off of the iMac.

Why not take this a step further in typical AI fashion. Printing? Who needs to print? I haven't printed anything in years!! Printing is so last century! Printing is stupid! I don't need to print so I don't think ANYBODY needs to print!

Printing is evil, like flash and USB and Consumer reports!

Jeez, now I sound like everybody else here.

A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #80 of 110
No seperate accounts = fail.

What's that honey? You want to check your mail? Sorry the mail app is only configured for my account...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page