or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours

Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours

post #1 of 175
Apple announced Friday that its Ping social network for music has reached more than 1 million users in its first 48 hours after launch.

The Cupertino, Calif., company issued a press release to announce the good news. "One-third of the people who have downloaded iTunes 10 have joined Ping," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Internet Services. Cue expects the service to continue growing in coming weeks as more people download iTunes 10.

At Wednesday's keynote, Apple CEO Steve Jobs described Ping as "sort of like Facebook and Twitter meet iTunes." Users can follow artists and friends, and find out what others are purchasing and listening to.

With 160 million iTunes users in 23 countries, Ping has a ready audience, although users will have to opt-in to the service after downloading the latest version of iTunes.

Ping launched to mixed reactions. In response to Wednesday's product announcements, several analysts thought Ping "stole the show," while others questioned the viability of the social network.

The "social music discovery" service initially included a Facebook Connect option for finding friends, but the feature was quickly disabled. Jobs told journalist Kara Swisher Wednesday that the terms demanded by Facebook were "onerous."

Not all of the 1 million users are legitimate, though. Hours after launch, spammers had already begun posting links to "free iPhones" and scams. Numerous fake celebrity accounts have been created as well.
post #2 of 175
That's Nice... but I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better at this point, if for no other reason than Apple's iTunes Store model is not well set up to support the kind of true music sharing/socializing system that the ZUNE Marketplace currently utilizes.

That's the beauty of having such a well-implemented subscription service as the ZUNE Pass, something that would severely impact Apple's current - 'you buy'... 'you don't like'... 'Too Bad, We've Already Got Our Money' - iTunes paradigm/scheme.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 175
Apple is doomed!
post #4 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That's Nice... but I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better at this point, if for no other reason than Apple's iTunes Store model is not well set up to support the kind of true music sharing/socializing system that the ZUNE Marketplace currently utilizes.

That's the beauty of having such a well-implemented subscription service as the ZUNE Pass, something that would severely impact Apple's current - 'you buy'... 'you don't like'... 'Too Bad, We've Already Got Our Money' - iTunes paradigm/scheme.

But ... 5 members?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #5 of 175
Quote:

I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better .

Awesome!

Now back to Apple. I wonder what Ping will look like in 6 months. Seems like an awful lot of users in a short period of time.
post #6 of 175
A lot of the spam seemed to go away about half an hour ago.

The new software just seemed so drab I just pulled the previous version of iTunes from one of my backup drives.
post #7 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The new software just seemed so drab I just pulled the previous version of iTunes from one of my backup drives.

I really don't care for Ping. The sign up process obliterates any previous anonymous posts and reveals your real name. Not going for it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #8 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I really don't care for Ping. The sign up process obliterates any previous anonymous posts and reveals your real name. Not going for it.

Seems like there is no undo. I tried to delete my Ping account but so far not successful in that. I deleted all my personal information, then uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes but if I log in, my Ping account is still there. I wish I had never clicked on 'Turn on Ping'.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #9 of 175
I don't.

There is no such thing outside a very limited geographical range.

Quote:

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #10 of 175
to sign up for ping. all other profile info is customizable as well.
post #11 of 175
i like it...i wish it had facebook support but im sure that will come. if only my wish list in itunes could be seen on my iphone.....so many more purchases would be made on pay day
post #12 of 175
My username is hill60, the same as here my real name is hidden, it wasn't hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

post #13 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Numerous fake celebrity accounts have been created as well.

This is, at least in part, due to the "Invitation Only" nature of artist accounts. Currently there is no way for artists to create an account for people to follow...they just have to wait for Apple to get around to inviting them to join Ping... \
post #14 of 175
I will not join Ping until it uses my nickname and not the name on my credit card. I read it also changes the name on your reviews from your nickname to the one on your credit card. Major fail, Steve! Do you want me to take my credit card off my iTunes account so I can use a faux name to protect my privacy?
post #15 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!

Anant is sundaram!
post #16 of 175
There's not way in hell I'm joining this Ping until they change it so I don't have to use my full name. That's too much an invasion of privacy for my taste and I don't think it's necessary at all.
post #17 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The limelight in iTune glorifies the content, not the stagecraft. In fact, the drabness in props and stagecraft often underwrites the listener's covenant with Music, and marks due deference to the recording artists and expresses the self-effacing humility of the content provider. A novel idea indeed!

It's a win for dedicated content user, and a loss for the aggravated geek, on the fringe of the musical experience but on the forefront of its whimsical non sequiturs. The geek's tempest in a tea pot is no match for the sweet and sour sound of the rocking wave...
post #18 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

The limelight in iTune glorifies the content, not the stagecraft. In fact, the drabness in props and stagecraft often underwrites the listener's covenant with Music, and marks due deference to the recording artists and expresses the self-effacing humility of the content provider. A novel idea indeed!

It's a win for dedicated content user, and a loss for the aggravated geek, on the fringe of the musical experience but on the forefront of its whimsical non sequiturs. The geek's tempest in a tea pot is no match for the sweet and sour sound of the rocking wave...

Really?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #19 of 175
Quote:

Good for you but as for me I rather OWN my music instead of RENTING it! If i want to rent music i will just launch my free pandora account!!
post #20 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Anant is sundaram!

The Infinite is beautiful.
post #21 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Good for you but as for me I rather OWN my music instead of RENTING it! If i want to rent music i will just launch my free pandora account!!

It appears that you're unaware that with the Zune Pass the subscriber is afforded 10 songs a month to keep forever (in non-DRM/MP3 format) for their US 14.99 monthly free.

The remaining million + songs are free to use as long as the subscription remains current (effectively reducing the cost of 'all you can download' subscription 256kbs + songs to US 4.99).

Maybe someday Apple will see fit to 'invent' an iPass (or some other Zune Pass competitor) for the iTunes store...

Who Knows
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #22 of 175
Quote:

It appears that you're unaware that with the Zune Pass the subscriber is afforded 10 songs a month to keep forever (in non-DRM/MP3 format) for their US 14.99 monthly free.

The remaining million + songs are free to use as long as the subscription remains current (effectively reducing the cost of 'all you can download' subscription songs to US 4.99).

Maybe someday Apple will see fit to 'invent' an iPass (or some other Zune Pass copy) for the iTunes store...

Who Knows

Oh I am aware! but what happens if I do not buy any songs for that month? Does Microsoft give me back my money. I do not buy music every month! So with them taking my hard earned money EVERY month, I guess i will feel like I have to buy something. On Pandora I have a free service that will find music for me (not me going find) and listen to whenever and wherever I want and after hearing a song that I really like, maybe I will buy!

Plus if your theory is correct, most people would be using the Zune Market place! Oh but wait, Microsoft does not allow you to put your paid subscription (rented) music on anything other than a Zune! However, I do not need to buy music from iTunes (although I do) to play back on my iPod, instead I can virtually buy it anywhere and drag it into iTunes. So, why don't Microsoft open up there Marketplace to other devices if it is SO GREAT!

Oh and iTunes is ALSO NON-DRM incase you were not aware
post #23 of 175
Wait!!! You mean I can't play them on my iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Nano, or Shuffle? Or new AppleTV?
post #24 of 175
Quote:

Oh I am aware! but what happens if I do not buy any songs for that month? Does Zune give me back my money. I do not buy music every month! So with them taking my hard earned money EVERY month, I guess i will feel like I have to buy something. On Pandora I have a free service that will find music for me (not me going find) and listen to whenever, wherever I want and after hearing a song that I really like, maybe I will buy!

Plus if your theory is correct, most people would be using the Zune Market place! Oh but wait, Microsoft does not allow you to put your paid subscription (rented) music on anything other than a Zune! However, I do not need to buy music from iTunes (although I do) to play back on my iPod, instead I can virtually buy it anywhere and drag it into iTunes. So, why don't Microsoft open up there Marketplace to other devices if it is SO GREAT!

Oh and iTunes is ALSO NON-DRM incase you were not aware

Again, you've been wholly misinformed.

There is absolutely no requirement whatsoever to purchase music exclusively from the Zune Marketplace, as Non-DRM Music from ANY source, yes - including iTunes libraries, easily sync with ANY Zune player for full listener enjoyment.

So Now You Know...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #25 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Wait!!! You mean I can't play them on my iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Nano, or Shuffle? Or new AppleTV?

Play what?
post #26 of 175
Quote:

Again, you've been wholly misinformed.

There is absolutely no requirement whatsoever to purchase music exclusively from the Zune Marketplace, as Non-DRM Music from ANY source, yes - including iTunes libraries, easily sync with ANY Zune player for full listener enjoyment.

So Now You Know...

Again I understand you are not obligated to buy music, my question is if you do not purchase songs for that month is the service still $15.00? You said you get a $10.00 credit, ok! but if I choose not to use that credit do I loose it to be quite frank? My understanding is the service is $14.99 regardless if you use the$10.00 credit or not am I correct? And is the credit "not used" carried over to the next month or it a "snooze you lose"? Also if I choose not to own a Zune and say an iPod, can I bring my Zune Market Place Service over to my iPod. If I am not wrong I do not think you can. It is strictly for Zune Players. That is not to fair to me, since you just told me that you can on the other hand bring your purchased iTunes music to your Zune device.

Look if you purchase a lot of music (and I mean a lot in a months time) and all you want is a Zune Player than MAYBE Just Maybe it may be worth it!
post #27 of 175
Quote:

Play what?

Let me see if I understand correctly. I don't own a Zune player, nor do I want to. If I subscribe to Zune Pass, I can download 10 songs a month for $15, but the 'million +' can't be accessed from my iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Shuffle, Nano, or AppleTV? Is that correct?

So really, I'm paying $15 for 10 songs?
post #28 of 175
Pop artists with their urge for attention will be all over it.

Apple should use it for music workshops, adding video conference and such, FaceTime?.
And schools can use it in conjunction with iTunes U for broader connection between music teachers and their students.
Also stream live concerts from  Stores.

Still, Ping is not for me.
But if the Sonic Youth got in, i may consider.
post #29 of 175
Quote:

Let me see if I understand correctly. I don't own a Zune player, nor do I want to. If I subscribe to Zune Pass, I can download 10 songs a month for $15, but the 'million +' can't be accessed from my iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Shuffle, Nano, or AppleTV? Is that correct?

That is exactly what I want to know! It seems pretty stupid to buy a service that ONLY allows you to play back on a Zune Player. Hell, Pandora is free and I can play that service back on a whole heck of a lot more devices! And it finds music for me!!
post #30 of 175
Quote:

So really, I'm paying $15 for 10 songs?

I guess he has no answer to my question\
post #31 of 175
Quote:

Again I understand you are not obligated to buy music, my question is if you do not buy for that month is the service still $15.00? You said you get a $10.00 credit, ok! but if I choose not to use that credit do I loose it to be quite frank? My understanding is the service is $14.99 regardless if you use the$10.00 credit or not am I correct? And is the credit "not used" carried over to the next month or it a "snooze you lose"? Also if I choose not to own a Zune and say an iPod, can I bring my Zune Market Place Service over to my iPod. If I am not wrong I do not think you can. It is strictly for Zune Players. That is not to fair to me, since you just told me that you can on the other hand bring your purchased iTunes music to your Zune device.

Look if you purchase a lot of music (and I mean a lot in a months time) and all you want is a Zune Player than MAYBE Just Maybe it may be worth it!

It's not a $10.00 credit, it's a 10 song credit that is renewed at the beginning of each billing cycle, and if the 10 song credits go unused for the month, then the account simply restarts at 10 song credits.

Think of it this way:

If one subscribes to NetFlix they are free to rent/watch as many movies etc as they choose within that billing period, but if they choose not to utilize the service, that doesn't mean that NetFlix should credit their account for non-use.

What makes the Zune Pass even better is that not only can you download as many 256kbs+ songs as you desire, you also have the 'option' of keeping 10 of those 256kbs+/non-DRM songs during each US 14.99 billing cycle. Granted, if the subscription is cancelled, the rented songs become unplayable, but those that you purchased with the 10 songs a month deal are yours to play/load/burn to any player/media type of your choosing.

It's a great deal for both true music lovers, and families with multiple players as well.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #32 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by postulant View Post

let me see if i understand correctly. I don't own a zune player, nor do i want to. If i subscribe to zune pass, i can download 10 songs a month for $15, but the 'million +' can't be accessed from my ipod touch, iphone, ipad, shuffle, nano, or appletv? Is that correct?

So really, i'm paying $15 for 10 songs?

i think you hit it on the head buddy
post #33 of 175
Quote:

i think you hit it on the head buddy

I can play them on my iMac, though... On days I feel like listening to the other 'million' songs, I guess I could lug my iMac around with me. Bet that'll put some meat on my skinny calves.
post #34 of 175
Quote:

That is exactly what I want to know! It seems pretty stupid to buy a service that ONLY allows you to play back on a Zune Player. Hell, Pandora is free and I can play that service back on a whole heck of a lot more devices! And it finds music for me!!

It's no more 'stupid' for the Zune Pass subscription to work exclusive on Zune devices than it is for apps purchased from Apple's App Store to work exclusively on iOS devices.

At least with the Zune Pass one has the 'option' of keeping 10 non-DRM songs per month to use on any device/computer forever, yet if one decides to abandon an Apple device, those apps are rendered completely useless.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #35 of 175
Quote:

It's not a $10.00 credit, it's a 10 song credit that is renewed at the beginning of each billing cycle, and if the 10 song credits go unused for the month, then the account simply restarts at 10 song credits.

Think of it this way:

If one subscribes to NetFlix they are free to rent/watch as many movies etc as they choose within that billing period, but if they choose not to utilize the service, that doesn't mean that NetFlix should credit their account for non-use.

What makes the Zune Pass even better is that not only can you download as many 256kbs+ songs as you desire, you also have the 'option' of keeping 10 of those 256kbs+/non-DRM songs during each US 14.99 billing cycle. Granted, if the subscription is cancelled, the rented songs become unplayable, but those that you purchased with the 10 songs a month deal are yours to play/load/burn to any player/media type of your choosing.

It's a great deal for both true music lovers, and families with multiple players as well.

Well I do not have an NetFlix account, I rather just rent when I want. I see what you are saying however, when you say its great for families with "multiple players" what do you mean? Zune players? what about iPods, iPhones, iPads,Apple TV (ok that pretty much covers apple devices) but also other MP3 players? You see to me I believe that I rather know that I own my music and do with it as I like. And while I do not believe in pirating music (I rather purchase my music) I see no harm in say giving some of my music to say a family member or friend. But you are locked down to a Zune thats is it!
post #36 of 175
A sad day for those who try to argue against the stereotype of blind Apple fanboyism. Every second during which MobileMe or Ping remain online serves as further proof that Apple is not an internet company by any stretch of the imagination.
post #37 of 175
Quote:

Well I do not have an NetFlix account, I rather just rent when I want. I see what you are saying however, when you say its great for families with "multiple players" what do you mean? Zune players? what about iPods, iPhones, iPads,Apple TV (ok that pretty much covers apple devices) but also other MP3 players? You see to me I believe that I rather know that I own my music and do with it as I like. And while I do not believe in pirating music (I rather purchase my music) I see no harm in say giving some of my music to say a family member or friend. But you are locked down to a Zune thats is it!

Please go back and read our previous posts, as I have made it extremely clear that the 10 songs a month are MP3/DRM-free, which means that they will play on any device that supports the MP3 file format... Forever.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #38 of 175
Quote:

It's no more 'stupid' for the Zune Pass subscription to work exclusive on Zune devices than it is for apps purchased from Apple's App Store to work exclusively on iOS devices.

At least with the Zune Pass one has the 'option' of keeping 10 non-DRM songs per month to use on any device/computer forever, yet if one decides to abandon an Apple device, those apps are rendered completely useless.

People make choices, you made yours.

Why bring Zune here?
So  should copy Zune's biz?

 will never do things like Microsoft, because its Microsoft.
I mean what is the point?

People at Zune forum do not care about what  does, they just enjoy what they own.
Sure its like bragging that your wife is better that mine. It is meaningless!
post #39 of 175
Quote:

Apps and music is a lot different buddy. I may, MAY, have bought 30 dollars of apps in say 4 years. Ok, so if I choose to abandon the iOS platform forever (very unlikely), OK I lost 30 bucks. However the same will be if I go to Android and I have to re-buy all those apps and again if I go to RIM and again if I go to Microsoft Mobile and again...get my point? That is the way it is. I can't change that. But back to music! With music it should be allowed to play anywhere and with Zune Market Place it is just not that way!
post #40 of 175
Quote:

Wait a second. Wow. What'd you just say?

Quote:

I realized just before writing this that my argument would have no basis if I compared music to music, so I've decided instead to compare music to software as if they were equivalent in any way.

Please hold on a sec while I run an image search for facepalms larger than 10 megapixels.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours