or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours - Page 3

post #81 of 175
@ DaHarder, Postulant, and mplaisance

Ok let's end this discussion now. I am far from an Apple lover but I don't agree with DaHarder on a majority of the things he posts but the pure Apple fan blindness being shown by Postulant and mplaisance is ridiculous.

1. Apple iTunes (where most Apple users get songs) can only be accessed on iOS devices. You can't access the store ANYWHERE ELSE without a laptop or desktop.

2. Zune Pass can only be accessed with a Zune or WIN7 Phone (unless you have a laptop or desktop). Also you can download ten songs (free of DRM, MP3 format) to move into iTunes and sync. Also since Rhapsody has an iOS app there could be a Zune Pass app for iOS devices in the making. It just isn't available yet.

3. Apple copies ideas just like every other business. Zune has a social network and now Apple has Ping. Microsoft has Xbox live (coming to Win7 Phones) and now Apple has Game Center. To say Apple doesn't copy is having total Apple tunnel vision.

And finally mplaisance, I just don't understand how you can't wrap your head around the fact that some companies use EXCLUSIVE content to sell their hardware. Will I be able to stream Apple TV rented content to any device that isn't iOS based? No. Why should Microsoft allow their subscription music (rented) to stream over any device?

And again Microsoft may just in fact be in the process of making a Zune app for iOS. I am tired of seeing blind favorism and these tired comments where most around here don't seem to have an open mind. Zune Pass will work for some just like buying individual tracks through iTunes or Amazon works for others. Open your damn minds people and show some inclination of intelligence.
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

There are 160 million iTunes users, and only 3 million of them have upgraded? Quite low considering Apple has decided to class this as a major release.

How long since it's been out? 3 million downloads and a million people signed on in a couple of days. Damn I'd love to have this kind of failure myself.
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

How long since it's been out? 3 million downloads and a million people signed on in a couple of days, I say that's massive.

Although Ping is a very poor implementation. The only thing that is decent is the top ten tracks. I have also been reading that Apple has been censoring some of the artists posts (Lady GaGa). If that is true I really can't get behind this idea of Ping being social if they are going to censor and control what an artist can post. I can accept Apple will have growing pains but am surprised with all the social network ideas out there already that Apple comes up with something that is pretty weak IMO.
post #84 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Although Ping is a very poor implementation. The only thing that is decent is the top ten tracks. I have also been reading that Apple has been censoring some of the artists posts (Lady GaGa). If that is true I really can't get behind this idea of Ping being social

Censorship is not something I want to see Apple associated with, I agree. But let's just wait until we have a concrete proof that Apple censored artists posts (real one, not pseudo one), shall we?
post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

How long since it's been out? 3 million downloads and a million people signed on in a couple of days. Damn I'd love to have this kind of failure myself.

1.8% of all users downloaded it (and remember, there are more iTunes users than there are iTunes accounts, so the true download rate is less than 1.8%)

0.6% signed into new service.

Sure if you say the raw number you may be impressed, but in the grand scheme of things, then it must not take much to impress you.
post #86 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

1.8% of all users downloaded it (and remember, there are more iTunes users than there are iTunes accounts, so the true download rate is less than 1.8%)

0.6% signed into new service.

Sure if you say the raw number you may be impressed, but in the grand scheme of things, then it must not take much to impress you.

So in other words you think all people are geeks that have no better things to do than sit in front of computer all the time?
post #87 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So in other words you think all people are geeks that have no better things to do than sit in front of computer all the time?

How would you know what I think? Have I told you what I think regarding calling people "geeks". No, I didn't think so.


Here is what I think. iTunes 10 provides next to no new features for most users, they will either take a long time to "upgrade", or won't do it at all.
post #88 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That's Nice... but I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better at this point, if for no other reason than Apple's iTunes Store model is not well set up to support the kind of true music sharing/socializing system that the ZUNE Marketplace currently utilizes.

That's the beauty of having such a well-implemented subscription service as the ZUNE Pass, something that would severely impact Apple's current - 'you buy'... 'you don't like'... 'Too Bad, We've Already Got Our Money' - iTunes paradigm/scheme.

Wow. You must be really low on TrollJuice if you're bringing up Zune.
post #89 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

A sad day for those who try to argue against the stereotype of blind Apple fanboyism. Every second during which MobileMe or Ping remain online serves as further proof that Apple is not an internet company by any stretch of the imagination.

Who said Apple was an Internet company? Nice strawman there.
post #90 of 175
Does anyone know if Apple is going to be able to update, or add features to Ping without having to update iTunes?
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
post #91 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

How would you know what I think? Have I told you what I think regarding calling people "geeks". No, I didn't think so.

Then how else would you explain your line of thinking that every persons who have iTunes accounts should make themselves available to download the latest version "and" sign up to Ping in the first couple of days otherwise you would hang the big sign of "FAIL" on it? since you seem to be the one who's hellbent on the total number of iTunes accounts.
post #92 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

: What misconceptions?
That Ping PING is obviously Apple's retort to the Zune platform's (long-standing) social networking integration as DaHarder put it?

C'mon?!
It is al about choice, free will.

No, it's not that. Opinions (and choices) are different from facts. There sets of facts that some people from all sides have gotten wrong. What I'm saying is that there are several people here from all sides, I am including DaHarder, and including some of his detractors too, that should all try to get their facts right before forming an opinion about it, or using them in an argument.

That Ping is a response to Zune Social, we don't really know that, though I doubt it. If it is, Apple sure took their time (in comparison), but I don't think so because Zune wasn't exerting any market pressure on Apple. I haven't read about Zune being mentioned for a year. They made a splash with the HD, then after a while, it seemed no one cared, not about good or bad chatter, just no chatter at all. I've never seen one in the wild. The one person I knew that had any Zune at all bought an iPhone a couple years later. In a way, it is too bad, it looked like a nice device.
post #93 of 175
So when should I expect the free iPhone...

,,,and the viagra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

And now i'm following you. Muhahahahah!!!
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #94 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That's Nice... but I still prefer the ZUNE Marketplace's social networking implementation better at this point, if for no other reason than Apple's iTunes Store model is not well set up to support the kind of true music sharing/socializing system that the ZUNE Marketplace currently utilizes.

That's the beauty of having such a well-implemented subscription service as the ZUNE Pass, something that would severely impact Apple's current - 'you buy'... 'you don't like'... 'Too Bad, We've Already Got Our Money' - iTunes paradigm/scheme.

You really expected to be taken seriously with words like 'true music sharing/socialising system'? What's true? Why isn't Ping any more true?

And no DaHarder the iTunes scheme only works like that with you. It's 'You Preview, You Buy.' And if you don't like well then it's only A POUND, DOLLAR, EURO, YEN...
post #95 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No, it's not that. Opinions (and choices) are different from facts. There sets of facts that some people from all sides have gotten wrong. What I'm saying is that there are several people here from all sides, I am including DaHarder, and including some of his detractors too, that should all try to get their facts right before forming an opinion about it, or using them in an argument.

That Ping is a response to Zune Social, we don't really know that, though I doubt it. If it is, Apple sure took their time (in comparison), but I don't think so because Zune wasn't exerting any market pressure on Apple. I haven't read about Zune being mentioned for a year. They made a splash with the HD, then after a while, it seemed no one cared, not about good or bad chatter, just no chatter at all. I've never seen one in the wild. The one person I knew that had any Zune at all bought an iPhone a couple years later. In a way, it is too bad, it looked like a nice device.


You did not understand what i wrote.

If we are discussing competition and innovation, which we are, bringing Zune and Bing as victims of Ping is pointless. Zune was created to catch up with iPod, which is a Microsoft's Right and of those who flag Microsoft's flag.

In the end who sell more and who sell less depends on the choice of the buyers.
That was my point, which renders the discussion pointless.

I think Mac OSX is superior to Windows 7, many people, if not the majority, think not. So Apple adding Ping to iTunes isn't in itself an acceptance that Microsoft was right in the first place?
Can that name be a recognition that Microsoft actually did well?
I think it was apparent that  has been reluctant of such thing.
Well, it looks like not any more.
And if Microsoft bet is the reason for change, so what ( could be! )?

I do not see these two companies as enemies, but competitors, i just happen to favor , because Apple is tiny, creativity is the sole weapon for it to survive, and that it is treated unfavorably by the majority in the media.
post #96 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

1.8% of all users downloaded it (and remember, there are more iTunes users than there are iTunes accounts, so the true download rate is less than 1.8%)

0.6% signed into new service.

Sure if you say the raw number you may be impressed, but in the grand scheme of things, then it must not take much to impress you.


Posts like this serve to remind me , once again, that: ...... Figures lie and liars figure. \
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #97 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

@ DaHarder, Postulant, and mplaisance

Ok let's end this discussion now. I am far from an Apple lover but I don't agree with DaHarder on a majority of the things he posts but the pure Apple fan blindness being shown by Postulant and mplaisance is ridiculous.

1. Apple iTunes (where most Apple users get songs) can only be accessed on iOS devices. You can't access the store ANYWHERE ELSE without a laptop or desktop.

2. Zune Pass can only be accessed with a Zune or WIN7 Phone (unless you have a laptop or desktop). Also you can download ten songs (free of DRM, MP3 format) to move into iTunes and sync. Also since Rhapsody has an iOS app there could be a Zune Pass app for iOS devices in the making. It just isn't available yet.

3. Apple copies ideas just like every other business. Zune has a social network and now Apple has Ping. Microsoft has Xbox live (coming to Win7 Phones) and now Apple has Game Center. To say Apple doesn't copy is having total Apple tunnel vision.

And finally mplaisance, I just don't understand how you can't wrap your head around the fact that some companies use EXCLUSIVE content to sell their hardware. Will I be able to stream Apple TV rented content to any device that isn't iOS based? No. Why should Microsoft allow their subscription music (rented) to stream over any device?

And again Microsoft may just in fact be in the process of making a Zune app for iOS. I am tired of seeing blind favorism and these tired comments where most around here don't seem to have an open mind. Zune Pass will work for some just like buying individual tracks through iTunes or Amazon works for others. Open your damn minds people and show some inclination of intelligence.


At last someone with some common sense!
post #98 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

@ DaHarder, Postulant, and mplaisance

Ok let's end this discussion now. I am far from an Apple lover but I don't agree with DaHarder on a majority of the things he posts but the pure Apple fan blindness being shown by Postulant and mplaisance is ridiculous.

1. Apple iTunes (where most Apple users get songs) can only be accessed on iOS devices. You can't access the store ANYWHERE ELSE without a laptop or desktop.

2. Zune Pass can only be accessed with a Zune or WIN7 Phone (unless you have a laptop or desktop). Also you can download ten songs (free of DRM, MP3 format) to move into iTunes and sync. Also since Rhapsody has an iOS app there could be a Zune Pass app for iOS devices in the making. It just isn't available yet.

One more thing to add...

iTunes can be accessed using desktops or laptops using either Windows or Mac OS X operating systems. Zune Pass can only be accessed using computers with Windows.
post #99 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Who said Apple was an Internet company? Nice strawman there.

Apple has been trying to pretend to be, and has done nothing but embarrass themselves in the process. That's all.
post #100 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

Apple has been trying to pretend to be, and has done nothing but embarrass themselves in the process. That's all.

Care to explain? The only internet services they provide are their own web site, which is great and mobileme, which is great.

How is that 'pretending to be' an internet company?
post #101 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Then how else would you explain your line of thinking that every persons who have iTunes accounts should make themselves available to download the latest version "and" sign up to Ping in the first couple of days otherwise you would hang the big sign of "FAIL" on it? since you seem to be the one who's hellbent on the total number of iTunes accounts.

The large press conference that Apple just put on announing the product and the service, touting how wonderful it is.

I haven't claimed it has failed, I think you will find that it is you that is throwing around the word "fail". All I said was, 1 million users isn't that impressive when you look at the fact that iTunes has 160 million users.
post #102 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Posts like this serve to remind me , once again, that: ...... Figures lie and liars figure. \

Can you please explain how you come to this outcome?

You are posting on an Apple site, Apple themselves are the biggest mis-users of figures. Have you seen sales data from Apple lately splitting their sales by devices, or by region? No, didn't think so.
post #103 of 175
So we're one million users who can follow 30 artists. Great!
Seriously.. I hope Apple get their act together and have a solid package to all artists with content on the iTunes Store. My label is having a meeting with iTunes next week. Hope to sort out things till then.
post #104 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

You really expected to be taken seriously with words like 'true music sharing/socialising system'? What's true? Why isn't Ping any more true?

And no DaHarder the iTunes scheme only works like that with you. It's 'You Preview, You Buy.' And if you don't like well then it's only A POUND, DOLLAR, EURO, YEN...

Zune Pass is more a 'true music sharing/socialising system' because users can actually share entire songs/playlist with other Zune Pass members as well as those on your 'Zune Friends' List.

Yes... Songs and Playlist In Their Entirety without having to purchase each and every song! and as a long time iTunes user, I know for a fact that Apple does not offer anything remotely close to that ability.

So Now You Know...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #105 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

One more thing to add...

iTunes can be accessed using desktops or laptops using either Windows or Mac OS X operating systems. Zune Pass can only be accessed using computers with Windows.

Microsoft Windows... which can be legally/legitimately (note: without some company getting their panties all in a bunch) installed/run on ALL modern/x86 compatible computer hardware, including Apple Macs
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #106 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Pop artists with their urge for attention will be all over it.

Apple should use it for music workshops, adding video conference and such, FaceTime?.
And schools can use it in conjunction with iTunes U for broader connection between music teachers and their students.
Also stream live concerts from  Stores.

Still, Ping is not for me.
But if the Sonic Youth got in, i may consider.

Live concerts would be a great thing, but creaky old iTunes is serving way too many purposes. Maybe if they had live streaming events available over Apple TV. That's something no one has addressed yet. However, Apple should re-engineer iTMS from the ground up. It's on it's last legs.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #107 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Although Ping is a very poor implementation. The only thing that is decent is the top ten tracks. I have also been reading that Apple has been censoring some of the artists posts (Lady GaGa). If that is true I really can't get behind this idea of Ping being social if they are going to censor and control what an artist can post. I can accept Apple will have growing pains but am surprised with all the social network ideas out there already that Apple comes up with something that is pretty weak IMO.

If Apple is "censoring" anything, it may have more to do with the Parental Restriction settings than anything. Perhaps it recognizes certain words and filters them if restrictions are set to, say, "PG".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #108 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Microsoft Windows... which can be legally/legitimately (note: without some company getting their panties all in a bunch) installed/run on ALL modern/x86 compatible computer hardware, including Apple Macs

Your point?

Number of Windows users plus number of Mac OS users is more than the number of Windows users. So as far as accessibility on a laptop or desktop goes, iTunes is the superior product.
post #109 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your point?

Number of Windows users plus number of Mac OS users is more than the number of Windows users. So as far as accessibility on a laptop or desktop goes, iTunes is the superior product.

'Superior Product' -

Sadly, you're yet another victim of Argumentum Ad Populum:

A Logical Fallacy that claims that if more people believe/participate/buy into something then it must be correct/superior.

Hint: NOT!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I haven't claimed it has failed, I think you will find that it is you that is throwing around the word "fail". All I said was, 1 million users isn't that impressive when you look at the fact that iTunes has 160 million users.

Oh, it's impressive enough for Apple to give a press release just two days after they introduced it. Apparently they think it's a good news. You don't and that's fine by me but look to me like your "analysis" wasn't based on any reality other than your feeling.
post #111 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

'Superior Product' -

Sadly, you're yet another victim of Argumentum Ad Populum:

A Logical Fallacy that claims that if more people believe/participate/buy into something then it must be correct/superior.

Hint: NOT!

Reading comprehension problem?

So as far as accessibility on a laptop or desktop goes, iTunes is the superior product.

Care to argue with that?
post #112 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Reading comprehension problem?

So as far as accessibility on a laptop or desktop goes, iTunes is the superior product.

Care to argue with that?

There are valid arguments against 'that', but I tire of your nonsensical/fanatical rhetoric.

Have A Nice Day
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #113 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

There are valid arguments against 'that', but I tire of your nonsensical/fanatical rhetoric.

Have A Nice Day

You argue like a Republican. You lost.
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You argue like a Republican. You lost.

If that's what it takes to validate your existence, but this silly 'back and forth' with you is tantamount to me trying to explain limits and infinitesimals to someone who has yet to master long division.

Read: Pointless.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #115 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpseller View Post


BTW, I just read an article said that (Ping) is an heaven for spammers

BTW, I just read an article said that (the internet) is an heaven for spammers. Gee, guess we should shut it down, huh? ..... PS ... I'm guessing you meant either a haven or .... just heaven?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #116 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Can you please explain how you come to this outcome?

I'd be glad to. You're quote was: "All I said was, 1 million users isn't that impressive when you look at the fact that iTunes has 160 million users". To make it not that impressive one would have to assume that the one million downloads would remain static when, of course, anyone who was trying to be entirely accurate or truthful would know that that's not the case. To put it simply ... you left out the fact that the million downloads took place in 48 hours .... just so you could seemingly "back up " your opinion.

That's just as untruthful as if I said: One million downloads in 2 days, hell, that means Ping will have over 180 million users in 1 year.

The point is simply this: The omission of truth is the same as lying, IMHO. Does the phrase .... "The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" hold any meaning for you?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #117 of 175
Bringing up Zune's features and marketplace on the first discussion page was an obvious (to me) attempt at trolling. I mean, this is AppleInsider, do you think we CARE what Zune has or does?

We've wasted most of three pages of this thread arguing about what words mean, how people can't understand renting vs. owning, etc. etc. JEEZ! Any meaningful discussion about Ping (which I was looking forward to) got run right out the door.

Going back to my cave now.
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
Reply
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
Reply
post #118 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Bringing up Zune's features and marketplace on the first discussion page was an obvious (to me) attempt at trolling. I mean, this is AppleInsider, do you think we CARE what Zune has or does?

We've wasted most of three pages of this thread arguing about what words mean, how people can't understand renting vs. owning, etc. etc. JEEZ! Any meaningful discussion about Ping (which I was looking forward to) got run right out the door.

Going back to my cave now.

Well that assessment would be seriously flawed.

"Apple announced Friday that its Ping social network for music has reached more than 1 million users in its first 48 hours after launch.", and given that the Zune Marketplace was the pioneering software to integrate social networking and on-line music store/media player, comparisons between the two services are both inevitable and justified.

Additionally: AppleInsider often post topics focused on other players in the industry for comparative purposes... Are they too 'trolling'?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

..... and given that the Zune Marketplace was the pioneering software to integrate social networking and on-line music store/media player ......


And where are the "pioneers" now? ... I'm sorry to keep laughing at your posts, DaHarder, but really .... any sentence that contains Zune, marketplace, and on-line music store at the same time surely must be damaging to your credibility ... or what ever is left of it ... and to think ... you keep repeating it, every chance you get.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #120 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So when should I expect the free iPhone...

,,,and the viagra?

Which do you prefer? Yeah noticed all that. Doesn't take em long.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ping draws over 1 million users in first 48 hours