or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android gaining on Apple iOS in mobile web market share
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android gaining on Apple iOS in mobile web market share - Page 6

post #201 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Learn some tolerance for an opinion other than your own. I don't know about you, but I have a job and a family so I don't have time to personally interview everyone in the world to find out why they do or do not have an iPhone 4.

Regarding your comment about morphing OSX into iOS on the Mac, the very notion of taking something as brilliant as the Mac and crippling it into an iPhone or iPad is the worst idea in the world.

Therefore I'm sure Steve Jobs will be doing it soon. He seems bent on ruining everything he touches.

You have a job and a family but you manage to spend a lot of time on this website trolling. You never have anything positive to say about Apple. Nothing. And to take that approach to a premium brand simply shows your bias.

Of course no company or line of products is perfect. But there's a clear difference in those who are actually interested in these products, and those who simply whine about products they obviously don't own.

Surely since you hate Apple so much you can find something more productive to do with your life than make constant negative posts.

You really should ask yourself why you need to vent so much negativity. I think you'll find it has nothing to do with Apple.
post #202 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lol. Apple is owned by shareholders who dont see a dime in dividends. So why would they care?

Not all "businesses" run to maximise profits all the time, and Steve was specific about why he thought the Mac lost the OS wars - too much profit maximising by sales men. What this generation of Apple management want is to win the new OS war mobile, something they will do.

I think you are wrong about Apple' interest in profits. What jobs changed when he return was the short term focus on profits that many CEOs do from quarter to quarter while looking for a more profitable position. He's looking at the longterm growth, but in that vision is profits, which is why Apple is in the position they are today.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #203 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

SJ just said 230,000 per day so it is more like 83+ million per year..

He said 230K activiations, and not upgrades.

Now correct me if I am wrong but but I take it that activations mean new activations with a carrier, rather than an upgrade of a phone with the same carrier. Note that it definitely exludes iPads which are not activated, and iPad touches which are not activated ( unless they mean activated in iTunes rather than a carrier). If I am right the real sales of iOS devices this quarter are absolutely huge,

Anyway Android is going to stall. Take games for instance - it is a hopeless games machine.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #204 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post

Oh I believe the Android OS is mature and all that, my problem is the OS upgrades. It does not matter how good the higher end Android phones are, if the phone company or the manufacturer cannot provided up to date OS upgrades, they will be in trouble. Apple knows the competition problem is this, does the telecom and phone manufacturers know about Goggle ?

What????

Android is updated at least as often than iOS. That does not make any sense.....

I am pretty sure that telcom companies know about Google unless they have been under a rock for the last few year.... Again , that does not make any sense....
post #205 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Why would you think that the pocket computer market will be different from its historical precedent?

Lol.

Um, because as I stated in my longish post on page 4

Quote:
To those of you who think that this is a re-run of the Mac - Windows market please learn about some other markets. The PC market is anomalous in being a dual platform. The Mobile market was multi-platform before the iPhone, it was after the Android, and it will be post Windows 7 - which will also be licensed ( so why do the licensing will always win brigade ignore Windows 7?) . Windows 7 will attract that portion of the Apple hating Windows loving crowd who now go to Android.


Most markets have multi-platforms and vendors, and not the monopoly enjoyed by MS and Intel. That is true of this one, not one player will get to 95%.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #206 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He said 230K activiations, and not upgrades.

Now correct me if I am wrong but but I take it that activations mean new activations with a carrier, rather than an upgrade of a phone with the same carrier. Note that it definitely exludes iPads which are not activated, and iPad touches which are not activated ( unless they mean activated in iTunes rather than a carrier). If I am right the real sales of iOS devices this quarter are absolutely huge,

Anyway Android is going to stall. Take games for instance - it is a hopeless games machine.

That phone still has to be activated and that user still needs to be tied to that device so I took that statement to mean any iPhone or iPad with cellular chips in it. Note that the iPad doesn't need to be activated right away to be used, one can wait until they go on vacation or whatever.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #207 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He said 230K activiations, and not upgrades.

Now correct me if I am wrong but but I take it that activations mean new activations with a carrier, rather than an upgrade of a phone with the same carrier. Note that it definitely exludes iPads which are not activated, and iPad touches which are not activated ( unless they mean activated in iTunes rather than a carrier). If I am right the real sales of iOS devices this quarter are absolutely huge,

Anyway Android is going to stall. Take games for instance - it is a hopeless games machine.

iPad 3Gs are activated with a carrier.
post #208 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

What????

Android is updated at least as often than iOS. That does not make any sense.....

I am pretty sure that telcom companies know about Google unless they have been under a rock for the last few year.... Again , that does not make any sense....

Are you not aware how many Android phones are still running 1.6? The Dell Streak is being hopped with 1.6!!!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #209 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

What????

Android is updated at least as often than iOS. That does not make any sense.....

I am pretty sure that telcom companies know about Google unless they have been under a rock for the last few year.... Again , that does not make any sense....

Android updates depend on the phone, the carrier, and other mystical stuff which happens when the moon is a certain size. 2.2 is not available on most of the most recent phones, and 3.0 which needs 1G of RAM will be available on less than that. 2.2 is rarely seen in the wild. The OS upgrade strategy for Android is the same as pre-Iphone, rarely and at the carrier's discretion.

Meanwhile iOS 4.0 is on almost every single iDevice from the 3g upwards. So a dev wanting to target an API in 2.2 would not find it worth his while, a dev wanting to target 4.0 would just go and do it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #210 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

You forget the early days of personal computers.

Many machines were sold that, for example, could not take advantage of the "multimedia" capabilities of Windows. Buyers of these machines couldn't "use all the applications and performance of the OS". But that did not stop Windows from relegating Apple to niche markets.

Why would you think that the pocket computer market will be different from its historical precedent?

Oh, God. Can you imagine meeting this Newtron guy at a party? The kind of person discussing tech loudly in the kitchen, but you gotta pass him to get to the beer in the fridge.

Your contributions, Newtron, poison this website. Their tone is arrogant and combative. You feel compelled to answer back to every objection, to prove how right you are.

You really must ask yourself why you hate Apple SO much. Why you feel compelled to start fights from the anonymity of the web?

This much negativity is really distressing, and how much more so for those who actually must interact with you in the real world.

I would suggest that if you hate Apple so much you go and make POSITIVE contributions to PC or Android websites.
post #211 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

iPad 3Gs are activated with a carrier.

I think 60% of iPads were wifi only. The point is that the 230K activation's is not the number of sales, of all iOS devices on that day. It seems like the sales are a huge number. i am surprised that the analyst community has not jumped on it.

EDIT:

To explain. Lets assume that 50% of all iPads are 3G ( and therefore activated), and that Apple is selling 2 Million a month in this quarter. That is 3 Million iPad activations, out of 6M iPads sold.

The total activations in this quarter - July, August, September - is 230K * 92. September has 30 says, the rest 31.

Total activates on iPhones is therefor 230K * 92 - 3m = 21.16 M - 3M = 18.16 M iPhones. not including upgrades and iPod touches.

Which brings me back to my claim that iPhones will have a 100% Q-Q increase , or more.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #212 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And did Apple perish with that measly 6% of the overall personal computer market? Nope. Why not?

Because Apple's 6% is the top 6%.

Apple has done okay with 6% computer market share. That doesn't mean that was how it was supposed to work out. Microsoft executed in the 90s and Apple made some very, very bad decisions. In an alternate reality, with someone competent at the head of Apple in the late 80s/early 90s, things would have been different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

So the actual question to ask is, what measure does Apple use to judge success? Obviously it isn't market dominance, SJ stated that he would be happy with 1% of the worldwide market for the iPhone. At 2.2% - this means that the iPhone has surpassed their target handily within 3 years of its inception - from here on out it's all gravy as far as Apple is concerned.

Absolutely wrong. The goal of 1% was for the first year only, not to remain fixed forever at 1%. Go back and watch the video from 2007 on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Is there anyone else that can challenge Android in 2011 and 2012? Unfortunately it doesn't look like it, unless Microsoft does a Windows7-quality mobile platform.

I think Windows Phone 7 looks pretty good. In a lot of ways much better than the "open" Android. Less restrictive than Apple - more carriers, more handsets, etc. - but hopefully without turning everything over to the carriers like Android has. I think WP7 will hurt Android much more than iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

APPLE STOPPED CARING ABOUT MARKETSHARE A LONG LONG TIME AGO. They measure success now by profits. As long that doesn't drop it's all that matters.

This is not true, and I don't understand why it keeps getting repeated here. Apple has shown their MO with the iPod. Profits are important, of course, and Apple is not going to become Dell, scraping by on a 5% margin. But if Apple can still earn a healthy margin and dominate a market, they will. The extremely low market share in the PC space is an aberration. I don't think it is how Jobs would have done it had he been running Apple, and I don't think it is applicable to the current Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Things are different this time:
  1. they continue to innovate

The iPhone 4 hardware is amazing, and the software and services that Apple controls is great. But Apple only controls half the experience. Until the iPhone is on other/all carriers - mainly Verizon in the US - innovation on Apple's side will only take them so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At some point, Google will have to start to figure out a way to start to monetize Android (since they are not a charity, but a shareholder value-maximizing firm). That will be fun to watch......

They already are.
http://hardgeek.org/how-does-google-...h-cow%E2%80%9D
post #213 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you not aware how many Android phones are still running 1.6? The Dell Streak is being hopped with 1.6!!!

The Dell Streak will be update very soon. My Droid is running the latest Android OS. It's hardware might not be up to the task of the next update howeve, but that is natural in all electronic devices.

Of course older phones will reach an end of life where their hardware can no longer support a new OS. Do you really think this is a new concept? That is just common sense. Do you really think the original iPhone will continue to get the latest new OS indefinitely?

Does the original iPhone current run iOS 4 ?

I am sorry, trying to use this as an argument that the iPhone is better than and android phone is a little weak...
post #214 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

Oh, God. Can you imagine meeting this Newtron guy at a party? The kind of person discussing tech loudly in the kitchen, but you gotta pass him to get to the beer in the fridge.

Your contributions, Newtron, poison this website. Their tone is arrogant and combative. You feel compelled to answer back to every objection, to prove how right you are.

I could imagine he read every posts in every topics since he joined up. That's kind of scary.
post #215 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So a dev wanting to target an API in 2.2 would not find it worth his while, a dev wanting to target 4.0 would just go and do it.

Yea, why would a developer be interested in developing an app for a few million smart phone users...... Especially when you have to hit a few buttons to upgrade your app ever six months or so....
post #216 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Yea, why would a developer be interested in developing an app for a few million smart phone users...... Especially when you have to hit a few buttons to upgrade your app ever six months or so....

Right. Nail on head. Why would a developer ( or his manager) target 2.2 which is only available to a few million android phones, when he could target all iDevices from the 3G up. The original iPhone sold 2 M, and I think we can assume that most people have upgraded. So effectively the iDevice market for 4.x is all of it, and the Android 2.2 market is a fraction of the total android market.

Nail on head.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #217 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Yea, why would a developer be interested in developing an app for a few million smart phone users...... Especially when you have to hit a few buttons to upgrade your app ever six months or so....

Yah, but it's kinda a pain in the rear. Do you know how many different bleeding configs I need to test? It's not just hitting a few buttons, it's making sure I didn't use something out of 2.2 when I still want to support 1.6. Streak at 1.6...what was Dell thinking?
post #218 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

You have a job and a family but you manage to spend a lot of time on this website trolling. You never have anything positive to say about Apple. Nothing. And to take that approach to a premium brand simply shows your bias.

Of course no company or line of products is perfect. But there's a clear difference in those who are actually interested in these products, and those who simply whine about products they obviously don't own.

Surely since you hate Apple so much you can find something more productive to do with your life than make constant negative posts.

You really should ask yourself why you need to vent so much negativity. I think you'll find it has nothing to do with Apple.

First off, it's not trolling to tell the truth.

Now that we have that out of the way, when it comes to negativity. I'm really not the only one. Want a few examples?

I listen to several podcasts about all things Apple (which lately means iOS) and there is a negative undercurrent there as well. Take MacWorld. Unless they have fallen out of favor in the Mac community like Consumer Reports, you should agree they are the biggest Apple fans in the world. In the one podcast when the iPhone 4 first came out, Christopher Breen referred to ATT as a cancer on Apple's name. In the iPhone 4 review, Jason Snell referred to the antenna design as a failure on Apple's part as a device maker. I almost drove off the road when I heard that.

Want another example? Have a listen to the latest Mac Roundtable podcast and here the usual bunch of geeky Apple fans piss on their favorite company.

Speaking of consumer reports, I was watching Fox news last night. The guy from consumer reports was on a talk show and he referred to the iPhone 4 as a Ferrari with a big scratch in it because of the Antenna design.

So a lot of people are peeing on the Apple tree lately. And if other people do it then it must be right. Right??
post #219 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

The Dell Streak will be update very soon. My Droid is running the latest Android OS. It's hardware might not be up to the task of the next update howeve, but that is natural in all electronic devices.

Of course older phones will reach an end of life where their hardware can no longer support a new OS. Do you really think this is a new concept? That is just common sense. Do you really think the original iPhone will continue to get the latest new OS indefinitely?

Does the original iPhone current run iOS 4 ?

I am sorry, trying to use this as an argument that the iPhone is better than and android phone is a little weak...

1) Apples iOS devices get rich updates for 3 full years.

2) Apples iOS devices are updates along side (if not somewhat earlier than) the newest iOS devices.

3) Froyo v2.2 came out in 20-May-2010. That is 3.5 months ago.

4) Dell Streak came out AFTER Froyo was officially released and it still came with Donut, which was released a year ago minus ten days ago.

but you call my argument weak because Apple stops updating their iOS devices after 3 full years when most Android devices are lucky to even get a single update. Reality check!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #220 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


Speaking of consumer reports, I was watching Fox news last night. The guy from consumer reports was on a talk show and he referred to the iPhone 4 as a Ferrari with a big scratch in it because of the Antenna design.

So a lot of people are peeing on the Apple tree lately. And if other people do it then it must be right. Right??

There are pleny of criticisms on AI when Apple releases stuff, that has always been the way. Most famous was the reaction here to the iPods. Apple was doomed.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #221 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

What????

Android is updated at least as often than iOS. That does not make any sense.....

Then please explain why my daughter's Android phone (just purchased in June) is stuck at 1.6 - and no newer version is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

The Dell Streak will be update very soon.

"Real soon now". Funny how everyone attacking Apple has that phrase memorized.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in promises. Updates were supposed to be available for my daughters phone months ago - and still nothing. And even if they get around to it, they're saying it will be 2.1, not 2.2.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #222 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then please explain why my daughter's Android phone (just purchased in June) is stuck at 1.6 - and no newer version is available.



Because you bought a crappy one. You are on record saying it is a good phone. But the reviews all say otherwise.

I am aware of no supercharger being available to upgrade a Hyundai, but then again, they are not designed that way. Same with economy-class phones. It has always been that way.

The good Android phones may be a different experience from the one you bought.
post #223 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yah, but it's kinda a pain in the rear. Do you know how many different bleeding configs I need to test? It's not just hitting a few buttons, it's making sure I didn't use something out of 2.2 when I still want to support 1.6. Streak at 1.6...what was Dell thinking?

It is horrible... Oh the humanitity... I have to develop code for varying platforms.... This has never happened in the past. I do not have to worry about iPhone vs iPhone 3G vs iPhone 4.... No they all compile and run exactly the same....

P.S. The streak will be updated to 2.2 in a month or so, so I would not lose too much sleep over it...
post #224 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

P.S. The streak will be updated to 2.2 in a month or so, so I would not lose too much sleep over it...

Not in a month, but I guess with an or so qualifier you cant possibly be proven wrong.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #225 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Apples iOS devices get rich updates for 3 full years.

2) Apples iOS devices are updates along side (if not somewhat earlier than) the newest iOS devices.

3) Froyo v2.2 came out in 20-May-2010. That is 3.5 months ago.

4) Dell Streak came out AFTER Froyo was officially released and it still came with Donut, which was released a year ago minus ten days ago.

but you call my argument weak because Apple stops updating their iOS devices after 3 full years when most Android devices are lucky to even get a single update. Reality check!

I call, you update weak because ALL manufactures have to deal with this. Android is updated more often than iOS. There are bound to be manufactures who do not keep up. It is their loss. I do think it was dumb that the streak was released with an older OS, however, that was Dell's fault, Not Android or Google. One mistake by a manufacturer does not mean that NO android phones are not equal to the iPhone. That argument is just silly.
post #226 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There are pleny of criticisms on AI when Apple releases stuff, that has always been the way. Most famous was the reaction here to the iPods. Apple was doomed.

Yes, and those who do criticize are labeled trolls or dismissed in some other way. But things are changing. Apple has screwed up quite a bit lately and it's getting really hard to defend them with a straight face.
post #227 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

It is horrible... Oh the humanitity... I have to develop code for varying platforms.... This has never happened in the past. I do not have to worry about iPhone vs iPhone 3G vs iPhone 4.... No they all compile and run exactly the same....

P.S. The streak will be updated to 2.2 in a month or so, so I would not lose too much sleep over it...

I would if I were a developer, or a manager, or a financial executive wondering how many devices in the wild run 2.2, if the developer wants to use an specific API in 2.2.

Meanwhile if the developer wants something in 4.1, that will be on all iDevices within two month of release. 4.0 is on > 90% now.

In the actual real world this does matter. The fact that Apple can deploy their OS extremely fast is important.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #228 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yes, and those who do criticize are labeled trolls or dismissed in some other way. But things are changing. Apple has screwed up quite a bit lately and it's getting really hard to defend them with a straight face.

The people who criticised the iPods were wrong. Whats wrong with being "dismissed". You are clearly a combative poster, if you want to criticise Apple you are free to do so, but if you dish it you should take it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #229 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not in a month, but I guess with an or so qualifier you cant possibly be proven wrong.

So basically because one manufacture made a mistake means that all Android phone are inferior to the iPhone... Is that really your argument????

It does mean that consumers do have to do more research before they buy an Android phone. If they do not want to do so, they probably should buy an iPhone as it is a safer bet.. However, it is NOT obsolete proof....
post #230 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


The fact that Apple can deploy their OS extremely fast is important.

Are you saying that the once a year major update is a faster deployment pace than the Android OS?
post #231 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

4.0 is on > 90% now.

.




That strikes me as wildly incorrect. Got a cite?
post #232 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Are you saying that the once a year major update is a faster deployment pace than the Android OS?

Lol. It is like talking to the wall.

it doesnt matter what happens in the labs, if the OS is not distributed and carriers and manufacturers dont get their act together and install it.

The argument is that Android is fragmented, lower quality Android phones dont even ship with anything other than 1.6, and updates are uncertain.

Meanwhile 4.0 is on the 3G and up. How many milion iDevices, certainly most of them. So developers can target 4.0.

In the actual real world the marketing manager, or sales directors will ask the developer if his new shiny App will run on most machines, if the new shiny app needs 4.0 he can say yes, if it runs 2.2 he will say no.

so the 2.2 version will not be released.

The real world.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #233 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I call, you update weak because ALL manufactures have to deal with this. Android is updated more often than iOS. There are bound to be manufactures who do not keep up. It is their loss. I do think it was dumb that the streak was released with an older OS, however, that was Dell's fault, Not Android or Google. One mistake by a manufacturer does not mean that NO android phones are not equal to the iPhone. That argument is just silly.

Even within the same vendor you cant get all their Android-based devices updated at the same time, or which any decent scheduling or commitment to updates. Case in point, when the Nexus One was updated to Froyo how many other HTC phones were updated to Froyo at that time? By my count: zero. Yet I know that next Summer my iPhone 4 will get iOS 5.0 at or just before the 5th iPhone hits the market. I also know that the new iPod Touch, being on the market from next week until next Summer will also get iOS 5.0. You can deny that customers like to be satisfied and assured of when where and how a product will be updated and supported, but it would be even more foolish then your previous arguments combined. The only reason youre here pooh-poohing the iPhone is the reason why its the phone compared to all others, and as much as you hate it that wont change with Androids complete lack of control over the vendor allowing for a haphazard update cycle.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #234 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

That strikes me as wildly incorrect. Got a cite?

Feel free to not ask me to google for you. It was > 50% within a month.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...ubj=News-Apple

It can be installed on all devices and people just respond YES when the alert comes up in iTunes, and they use iTunes all the time. The only machine which cant take it is the 1st gen, but most people have updated that.


I have dealt with this in real life. Wanted to develop something in August for iOs 4, due in September. Convinced the manager.


( My real guess is 99%)
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #235 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think 60% of iPads were wifi only. The point is that the 230K activation's is not the number of sales, of all iOS devices on that day. It seems like the sales are a huge number. i am surprised that the analyst community has not jumped on it.

EDIT:

To explain. Lets assume that 50% of all iPads are 3G ( and therefore activated), and that Apple is selling 2 Million a month in this quarter. That is 3 Million iPad activations, out of 6M iPads sold.

The total activations in this quarter - July, August, September - is 230K * 92. September has 30 says, the rest 31.

Total activates on iPhones is therefor 230K * 92 - 3m = 21.16 M - 3M = 18.16 M iPhones. not including upgrades and iPod touches.

Which brings me back to my claim that iPhones will have a 100% Q-Q increase , or more.


Assad,

Rightly or wrongly, I took activations as using iTunes or with a carrier. When i did my off the cuff calculations, I used 2miilion ipads per month because that is how many they have ramped up to, 3 million iPhones per month since they were selling 100,000 per day so that would leave around 2million iPod touches per month to make a total of 7 million ios devices per month. Using an average price of $600 dollars per iPhone and iPad and 300 dollars per iPod touch, I get a revenue rate of over 3.5 billion per month and 10.5 billion for the quarter for just the "new" activations. I think this helps explain the monster quarter for revenues that Apple guided to at the last call. But no matter how you run the numbers it is something large. As Apple is ramping iPad production to 3 million per month and I am going to guess that Apple is still ramping iPhone production(also interesting that iPhone 3GS ships 5-7 days presently), and with the new game center, I would expect that iPod touch sales will increase especially during this holiday season, that the 10.5 billion ios quarter will be a low figure for actual revenues.

I would say that this a very good time to be an Apple shareholder as well as a user of their products. I read some of what the trolls write just to see what an absolute worst case scenario looks like for Apple and it's products but I don't think things will get to their predictions just as I don't pay too much attention to the rose colored glasses crowd. If you want to make money in the market, being reality based is always helpful.

Good luck out there.
post #236 of 349
Quote:
Rightly or wrongly, I took activations as using iTunes or with a carrier

I think it depends on what he means by activations. If it excludes non-carrier devices then the iPhone sales are much bigger than last quarter, as you can add 3M iPhones to that total.

It also depends on what he means by not including upgrades. For instance when I moved from my 1st to the iPhone 4 on the same carrier with the same phone number, is that included or not. If so, what isnt?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #237 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Feel free to not ask me to google for you. It was > 50% within a month.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...ubj=News-Apple

It can be installed on all devices and people just respond YES when the alert comes up in iTunes, and they use iTunes all the time. The only machine which cant take it is the 1st gen, but most people have updated that.


I have dealt with this in real life. Wanted to develop something in August for iOs 4, due in September. Convinced the manager.


( My real guess is 99%)

You first said >90%. You cited <50%. Now you revise to 99%.

OK.
post #238 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

You first said >90%. You cited <50%. Now you revise to 99%.

OK.

I am beging to suspect that your parents were possibly too closely related.

I think that now the % of people using 4.0 is > 90% because 1 month after the release it was 50%.


The 99% will probably be true sometime this year. As you can see from the report only 1% were using 2.x. The upgrade cycle is simple.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #239 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think it depends on what he means by activations. If it excludes non-carrier devices then the iPhone sales are much bigger than last quarter, as you can add 3M iPhones to that total.

It also depends on what he means by not including upgrades. For instance when I moved from my 1st to the iPhone 4 on the same carrier with the same phone number, is that included or not. If so, what isnt?

There can be a lot of wiggle room with what Jobs meant by activations. No matter how you decide to slice the pie, it still comes out as a big revenue number for Apple. As a long term investor in Apple, that is most important right now. Counting in the speculation As to how well the macs are selling, it should be a very nice quarter for Apple with better things to come in the dec quarter.

jmo though.

Good luck

Neal
post #240 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The people who criticised the iPods were wrong. Whats wrong with being "dismissed". You are clearly a combative poster, if you want to criticise Apple you are free to do so, but if you dish it you should take it.

I can take it. I'm still waiting for someone to give it to me. A good argument against what I say. Not "don't buy Apple products" or "your just a combative poster" or the ultra classy F-off I got the other day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android gaining on Apple iOS in mobile web market share