or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iPhone 4W - widescreen

iPhone 4W - widescreen

post #1 of 4
I've always felt the iPhone screen was a bit too small relative to the rest of the phone. Given that it has an IPS display now, it's great quality for watching movies on the go but they always play back so small. So here is a mockup of a widescreen iPhone, the original is bottom right:

In icon view, they can integrate the search box up top and have persistent notifications below. When there are no notifications, the dock just sits lower down and when there are too many, the items just scroll vertically.

These spaces can be reserved inside applications for these tasks but hidden. Games can use the extra space to keep controls further away from the centre of the display. Apps can be built with the same resolution for compatibility with other devices but have the option to use the space for extra data that wouldn't be present on other devices or would usually be in a hidden panel.

Spotlight is always present on the Mac so why not the iPhone? If you are in a twitter app and need to get an email address, you can tap the search box and search for a name, then get the contact details to show up and copy/paste it in place without leaving the app. Same deal if you need a picture attached to an email or do a quick calculation. Even use it as a quick launcher like QuickSilver so you don't have to go back to the home screen, you just tap the box and type the first few letters and it shows the icon to tap.

For movies, the screen would end up as 640p (1138 x 640) so 16:9 movies would fill the entire display without cropping and with Super Panavision movies like Star Wars ep 6 shown above, you would be sure not to miss important scenes like where Hans Solo touches Leia inappropriately. On the current iPhone 4 in the bottom right, you might miss it because it's scaled down so much.

It makes reading web pages better too obviously.

The home button I'd like to see changed from a mechanical button to capacitive (like the XBox 360) and reduced by 25%. It's the most used button on the device and most prone to wear, especially with multi-tasking. You'd simply do a double-tap of the capacitive button instead for the app switcher and tap then tap-hold to go home. It might be subject to accidental presses but I think it would be ok being smaller, concave and using double-tap gestures. The capacitive part can be inside the little white marker.

A physical camera button wouldn't go amiss either. It's annoying taking a picture trying to hold it as steady as possible and fumbling for the touch button. Optical image stabilisation would be good too using motion compensation in the sensor - the gyroscope and accelerometer just feed the info to it.

A final improvement would be the dock connector, which I feel should be a smaller micro-USB 3 plug or upcoming Light Peak connector that is recessed into the device to allow a more secure connection and also to give more room for the speakers, which are easily covered in landscape mode.

They can obviously redesign the antenna with this model too.
post #2 of 4
That is as long as you don't impact handling.

A utility button for the camera and other apps is something I've wanted for ages. As you point out the current arraingement sucks. This is especially sad when you consider that the camera software gets better with ever release.

As to the antenna, it isn't a huge problem the way it is. A simple coating of the surface would likely solve the problem that the absent minded have with the seam. The RF system is otherwise top notch.

IPhone 4 is looking pretty good to me. It would have been nice to see the unit come with more flash memory. Obviously we won't get a wider screen any time soon, so that is wishful thinking. However there is nothing wrong with desire as I could even get into a slightly bigger iPhone, maybe an 1/8 in width and a 1/4 to 3/8 in length. This might not sound like much to our dear readers but it puts a lot more info on screen. Especially when combined with thinner bezels on the length.

It is likely an up hill battle as Apple seems to abhore the idea of more than one iPhone type. This is sad really. Why you ask, because one size never fits all, even when it comes to condoms. IPhone can be very uncomfortable for us bigger folks, it is hard to hit the little keys with our big fingers.

Dave
post #3 of 4
The bottom area would be amazing for switching apps (like a dock basically). But it can't be much taller, otherwise it's going to become somewhat awkward to handle.
iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 + Cool Apps:
Pandora - Facebook - HiFutureSelf - NPR
iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 + Cool Apps:
Pandora - Facebook - HiFutureSelf - NPR
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to the antenna, it isn't a huge problem the way it is. A simple coating of the surface would likely solve the problem that the absent minded have with the seam.

They could even move the seam so that it's centred on a button (the new camera button for example). This way you can't bridge the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is likely an up hill battle as Apple seems to abhore the idea of more than one iPhone type.

I kind of like the uniformity but they could have an accessibility control that increases the UI sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRonald

The bottom area would be amazing for switching apps (like a dock basically).

Showing two rows of apps at once might be confusing but with developer-controlled space, it can be setup to use for anything. If a developer publishes two apps, they can have links to launch either app at the bottom. The OS can just override it when a notification arrives if the developer chooses to allow notifications to do so.

There would have to be some thought put in as to how it would work in landscape mode but as they can be hidden panels, they can reduce to corner dots in landscape so for example, a spotlight icon in the corner for search and simply a notification number inside a circle. Tapping on either one would expand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRonald

But it can't be much taller, otherwise it's going to become somewhat awkward to handle.

I would agree based on my personal preference. Some people would rather it was bigger, some would prefer it smaller. I find that it's slightly too wide but the height is fine, just that the height is under-utilised. The mockup above keeps the same height, it just expands the screen and just the home button and possibly the earpiece would have to shrink slightly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › iPhone 4W - widescreen