or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iLife '11 Family Pack from Apple, Parallels 6 both spotted early

iLife '11 Family Pack from Apple, Parallels 6 both spotted early - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Facetime support would be with ichat NOT ilife

no one has said they are getting rid of iDVD at all. but there are several things they could do
1. continue to not update it.
2. take it off the disk but make it a free download from the site
3. blend the appropriate functions into imovie and iphoto
4. shift the various 'upload to youtube' type functions into an 'share' app that would also have the burning functions

likely since they went intel only for the the OS already.

based on what? that they didn't release 10.7 this year, one year after 10.6 even though they generally have the OS on a two year cycle.

based on their putting a focus on new tech this year at WWDC for the keynote, despite having several Mac OS panels and such.

Fact is that right now there's really not anywhere for OSX to go. There's no new tech. iOS is where the changes were possible. So that's where they went. It doesn't mean that they don't have a whole building of folks working on better computer hardware and improvements in Mac OSX

There is plenty of new technology and advances in current technology. Your point about 18 month cycles is key.

Apple has a huge market presence in the embedded space and to ease off on that would be a huge mistake.

OS X is churning along as always. People need to stop worrying. With Bertrand and Scott from NeXT overseeing their major OS X improvements nothing but evolution will come in the next release with a few revolutionary solutions.
post #42 of 91
Looking forward for both programs, though I doubt I will buy either right away. I am happy with parallels 5, and since no new Windows or OSX has been released I don't see a reason to upgrade right now. I am also fairly happy with iLife right now as well. But I'm ready for something awesome that will change my mind.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

That is the family bundle price, single user should be cheaper
It could be nice that it incorporate some face time support thru it. the base of macs with a front camera is kind of big now and could add even more value to the Mac computers.

Yep, sorry, as i always get the family pack I forgot the single is even cheaper
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Based on what? that they didn't release 10.7 this year, one year after 10.6 even though they generally have the OS on a two year cycle.

based on their putting a focus on new tech this year at WWDC for the keynote, despite having several Mac OS panels and such.

Fact is that right now there's really not anywhere for OSX to go. There's no new tech. iOS is where the changes were possible. So that's where they went. It doesn't mean that they don't have a whole building of folks working on better computer hardware and improvements in Mac OSX

Based on the fact that Apple can't execute anymore. How dare I say such a thing?

Need I remind you of death grip antennas, supply shortages of iPads and iPhones (still!!). And lets not forget the venerable Mac with cracked bezels and yellow displays.

Now Apple is a company with the three chair legs of Mac, iOS and Apple TV. And they are going to juggle all of this how?

No, they are clearly putting all their steam into the iOS leg, hence my statement that the new iLife will be a crippled version for the iPad and leave the Mac in the dust.

It all makes perfect sense now, doesn't it??
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Based on the fact that Apple can't execute anymore. How dare I say such a thing?

Need I remind you of death grip antennas, supply shortages of iPads and iPhones (still!!). And lets not forget the venerable Mac with cracked bezels and yellow displays.

Now Apple is a company with the three chair legs of Mac, iOS and Apple TV. And they are going to juggle all of this how?

No, they are clearly putting all their steam into the iOS leg, hence my statement that the new iLife will be a crippled version for the iPad and leave the Mac in the dust.

It all makes perfect sense now, doesn't it??

Assuming you were right, maybe. But you aren't right, so no.
post #46 of 91
When is Apple going to allow digital downloads instead of shipping on a DVD? Haven't they said the DVD is dead?
post #47 of 91
Not trying to self promote but if you check out my blog it has specifics on parallels 6 straight from the box. Unfortunately my source was forced to take them down but I'm leaving mine up since it's such an unknown blog.

But on iLife I hope they bring that rumored app creator capability especially with google showing off their own, I would hope apple would do the same if not better.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

You don't, unless you use 3rd party software.

What do you mean Apple is doing away with DVD authing mastering. That should go over well with the pros.
post #49 of 91
Quote:

Ignore this obvious PROFESSIONAL troll. Don't give him a hook to get started, or the thread is going into the ditch.
post #50 of 91
Usually released like a chicken and egg.
post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Seriously just get Rapidweaver - it's a fantastic piece of software. Apple should buy it and bundle as part of iLife.

RW is a preety cool piece of software but it's knowhere near what Apple could do with iWeb. It just doesn't have that Mac vibe to it. 1000's of templates and beefed up iWeb I would prefer even though I used RW for my site. A mac person working in feature dim tv can't use iWeb. Everyone you deal with knows their templates.

RW is easy to use once you get a feel for itbut the templates from Apple look so much better. Just to linter though and their should be a way to go in and change the templates around without having to do a lot of steps (as it is possible but far from easy).

Just like there are 3rd party email templates (stationary), I would like to see some for iWeb.
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Ignore this obvious PROFESSIONAL troll. Don't give him a hook to get started, or the thread is going into the ditch.

Professional troll? That's not a very nice thing to say.

And once again for the cheap seats, why don't you try RESPONDING to my arguments instead of dismissing me by childish name calling. Give me some examples of Apple executing efficiently. I have plenty more of them not doing so.

iOS 4 which crippled the iPhone 3G, Aperture when it was first released being deathly slow importing existing libraries, DVD playback issues in Snow Leopard.

By the way, name calling is against the rules here Flaneur. I'm afraid I'll have to report you.
post #53 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Looking forward for both programs, though I doubt I will buy either right away. I am happy with parallels 5, and since no new Windows or OSX has been released I don't see a reason to upgrade right now. I am also fairly happy with iLife right now as well. But I'm ready for something awesome that will change my mind.

Page's with built in speech to text would do it for me and trickle all the way down to the iPhone with setting for example like lecture where it picks up the proffesor only. Would need to add some logic noise gates, expansion etc. in it though.
post #54 of 91
Quote:

Professional troll? That's not a very nice thing to say.

And once again for the cheap seats, why don't you try RESPONDING to my arguments instead of dismissing me by childish name calling. Give me some examples of Apple executing efficiently. I have plenty more of them not doing so.

iOS 4 which crippled the iPhone 3G, Aperture when it was first released being deathly slow importing existing libraries, DVD playback issues in Snow Leopard.

By the way, name calling is against the rules here Flaneur. I'm afraid I'll have to report you.

He wants us to respond to his assertion that Apple, the currently failing technology company, can't execute anymore.

But to respond to his provocation would be off-topic. The post is about iLife, and the discussion is about where iDVD and FaceTime might fit in. Interesting, especially the speculation about FaceTime on the abandoned, orphaned Mac.

One who consistently derails threads by throwing big gobs of mud on the rails is a troll. If he seems to do it for a living, I call him a professional troll.
post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Amazon lists unreleased stuff all the time based on nothing but their own or customers' expectations. Not really news worthy.

Don't forget sometimes they do it for humor.
Do you remember a few years ago when they listed new versions of iLife and iWork as Macworld announcements one and two? That was funny (IMHO).
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

In the age of the Internet, who needs DVDs? Upload to YouTube or MobileMe, or stream it to your own TV with AppleTV.

You do realize that occasionally people travel beyond the reach of the cloud? And there are times where someone would rather use a .99 cent ripped dvd versus bringing along a $100 portable hard drive?

Just wanted to point out to you that there are still reasons some people would want or need to burn a dvd.
post #57 of 91
I understand that some people still want or need access to DVD authoring software, but I don't understand the insistence that Apple has to supply it.

It’s clear that Apple no longer sees optical media as a focus for their business. Note that iDVD in iLife, which is neither updated nor directly advertised as part of the iLife suite and they’ve also let their professional DVD Studio app idle, while still not adding AACS to their OS which would allow Blu-ray titlesto play on Mac OS X without booting into Windows on a Mac. Then just last week they even removed the CD icon from iTunes even though it will still import CDs just like before.

It should be crystal clear to everyone on these forums that Apple’s goal is to remove any direct association with optical media as soon as possible, which means that you’ll have to use their older SW or a 3rd-party app if you wish to author your wedding video or what-have-you.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by normang View Post

I thought the last one was, if not, since Snow Leopard is, one might think that iLife and eventually iWork will be Intel only, its been almost 5 years now since the switch, time to upgrade.

I suspect this is correct! A switch to Intel only would be a smart move on Apples part and could happen with this release. The reasons are pretty simple, much of the tech that they would build iLife on is Intel / Snow Leopard only.

I know for those that are running Power PC this sucks. Unfortunately tech moves forward, I've owned close to a dozen computers that would be useless now if I had then around still. As noted most PPC machines are five or more years old now, time to bite the bullet.
post #59 of 91
Quote:

He wants us to respond to his assertion that Apple, the currently failing technology company, can't execute anymore.

But to respond to his provocation would be off-topic. The post is about iLife, and the discussion is about where iDVD and FaceTime might fit in. Interesting, especially the speculation about FaceTime on the abandoned, orphaned Mac.

One who consistently derails threads by throwing big gobs of mud on the rails is a troll. If he seems to do it for a living, I call him a professional troll.

Actually I started my post by implying that the new iLife would be for the iPad only. You can comment on that and remain on topic if you like.

Please respond quickly. I am going to report you again for name calling and I would like to hear your answer before you get banned.
post #60 of 91
I'm not a big iLife user myself, to be honest I'd have to look at the box to find out what is iLife software. However if the price is reasonable I'd likely update just to keep my machine up to date.

What I'm hoping for is a major iWork update. Especially to Numbers. Unfortunately there has been little indication of this happening soon. Pages, now that it has E-Book generation capabilities could be considered interesting update wise too.
post #61 of 91
Any idea if the new version of iMovie continues the trend of putting back all of the functionality that was in iMovie 6? Every version of iMovie after version 6 has been an abomination, imo.
post #62 of 91
I've been using Parallels 6 for the past month or so.

I can't got into details obviously but the interface has a lot of refinements. It's really nice and is well worth the upgrade from 5 and certainly if you've got anything less than 5 UPGRADE... when it comes out that is.
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Seriously just get Rapidweaver - it's a fantastic piece of software. Apple should buy it and bundle as part of iLife.

I personally don't like RapidWeaver. I've tried and I've tried but I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

iWeb is much more configurable and adding third party tools like iWeb Buddy fills the gaps for a lot of things.

I'm really hoping for a major upgrade to iWeb though.
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I want personal domain email for MobileMe.

??? It already has it doesn't it? I can send an email address to my personal domain e-mail and it comes through with no issues.
post #65 of 91
The bit about Parallels 6 being out is a bit of a surprise as 6.0 is still in beta.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #66 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadjcity View Post

So, if Apple is doing away with DVD mastering (iDVD), how do you get your movies on to DVD?

Use Nero.
post #67 of 91
Quote:

I got a pretty good one for you: sales. Anyway, most of the stuff you mention is just how things have always been. Remember the Apple 2? Yeah it turned yellow. Cracks in the Cube? Classic Mac OS dying on the vine? OSX being slow on older Macs? It's nothing new we're just living in an age where OCD people can rant and rave on forums all day pro or con. Sales are the best figure to judge how important these issues really are. How many people aren't buying a Mac because OSX 10.7 isn't out? If people are unhappy with iOS4 on the 3G they can spend $99 for a new phone. Did the iPad suffer because a bunch of nerds on websites were upset it didn't have a USB port? Nope. I guess my core point here is the 1-2%-ers who live on Internet forums simply don't matter.
post #68 of 91
Quote:

Careful. You get banned for reporting the regulars.
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannsh View Post

Is this going to be an Intel Only Release?

Not only will it be Intel-only but it will also require Snow Leopard because it will allow Apple to remove legacy code while taking advantage of technologies that are in Snow Leopard, which has been out for the past year.
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Like a spam filter that even comes within the same ball park as gmail. That doesn't declare CL responses spam automatically, when they are legitimate. That doesn't let a dozen spam messages through every day. I get no spam and no false positives on gmail, mobileme though is a disaster and that is why I actually didn't renew my subscription. I can do everything I need with dropbox except wireless syncing of my calendar and contacts with my iPhone.

Huh? Gmail is god-awful. Google marks their own stuff as spam (google voice and calendar alerts, for example). I have to sort through all my spam because of all the false positives. I am slowly weeding out all my gmail email alerts and will eventually relegate gmail to a throw away email account.
post #71 of 91
Quote:

Need I remind you of death grip antennas,

No, you need not remind us of an non-issue, that was overblown to death, that happens to all mobile phones in some degree, that doesn't affect normal users and DESPITE WHICH iPhone 4 STILL HAD BETTER RECEPTION than previous models.

Quote:
supply shortages of iPads and iPhones (still!!).

Yes, having LOADS MORE DEMAND for devices than your manufacturers are able to build is somehow NEGATIVE for Apple...

Quote:
And lets not forget the venerable Mac with cracked bezels and yellow displays.

Even better, let's forget about it.

There have been issues with EVERY PRODUCT LINE, of EVERY COMPANY ever. Apple "can't execute anymore"? WTF? The had far worse problems in the early '00s (fried logic boards, exploding batteries etc).

Those things happens to PCs and PC parts all the time. It's just that there are some many different brands that no one has a large enough base to matter. For example, since they sell tens of different models and configurations, there could be just, say, 100,000 units of a Toshiba, Dell, Asus etc model out there, but there are several millions of Macbooks rev2...

Quote:

AppleTV is a chair leg? When did this happen? What, just because the introduced a funky new model?

They are gonna juggle Mac and iOS just fine. They have 1 phone model (2 configurations based on memory), 1 tablet (2 confs, differ only in 3G) 2 OSes and about 10 computers in their current line up.

Other PC and electronics companies have hundreds of different products on their line up. You could spend a couple of hours just enumerating the various versions of Nokia phones. MS has 6-10 different OSes (from Windows Vista to Server editions to Zune stuff, to newer Windows Mobile, etc etc. They also still support legacy crap like Windows 2000).

Quote:
No, they are clearly putting all their steam into the iOS leg

Yes, clearly. If you don't bother to think of their overall STRATEGY or read their SEC fillings...

Quote:
hence my statement that the new iLife will be a crippled version for the iPad and leave the Mac in the dust.

Does not even make sense, what you wrote...
post #72 of 91
Quote:

I agree 100% with you except with regards to Blackintosh ...... can he/she/other actually be a professional ... I mean think about it ... would a professional post such amateurish and childish drivel? I think not, sorry, have to disagree.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #73 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Page's with built in speech to text would do it for me and trickle all the way down to the iPhone with setting for example like lecture where it picks up the proffesor only. Would need to add some logic noise gates, expansion etc. in it though.

Gee you aren't asking for much. sarcasm intended.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

AppleTV is a chair leg? When did this happen? What, just because the introduced a funky new model?

You make some good points. But the chair leg thing was from Steve Jobs himself. In 2007 he said, "We’ve got two strong legs on our chair today — we have the Mac business, which is a $10 billion business, and music, our iPod and iTunes business, which is $10 billion. We hope the iPhone is the third leg on our chair, and maybe one day Apple TV will be the fourth leg"
post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadjcity View Post

So, if Apple is doing away with DVD mastering (iDVD), how do you get your movies on to DVD?

I don't believe rumors until I see them. There is nothing yet that actually indicates Apple is doing away with iDVD, but even if they do, that doesn't mean they are exciting DVD's altogether. They may include a way to author a DVD directly from iMovie. I personally don't care to have the ability to do menus for everything so a quick but quality DVD from iMovie would be really good. I also wouldn't mind the ability to burn a BluRay as well.

However.. if they do remove this capability altogether, then there is a bigger market place for Toast. It's an excellent software package that I believe will eventually add the ability to play back BluRay if Apple doesn't step up there.
post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... still not adding AACS to their OS which would allow Blu-ray titlesto play on Mac OS X without booting into Windows on a Mac.

This is not Necessary to play back BluRay on the Mac or even Windows. Toast could add it's own libraries to its own app and build it's own BluRay player if they wanted too. Note that Microsoft DOES NOT directly support BluRay. Their own Media player doesn't play it back. You must purchase third party software (ie. Roxio) to play back BluRays and even DVD's on Windows. I'm just as upset with Roxio as I am with Apple for not including a way to play back BluRay. Roxio could make a lot of money if they released a BluRay player for the Mac right now.

As it is, you can get around it by using Make MKV to stream a BluRay commercial disc to VLC to watch the content. This is because Make MKV provides all the necessary items to decrypt the BluRay. I just doesn't include the player. We just need someone to do Both. Any takers????
post #77 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

This is not Necessary to play back BluRay on the Mac or even Windows. Toast could add it's own libraries to its own app and build it's own BluRay player if they wanted too. Note that Microsoft DOES NOT directly support BluRay. Their own Media player doesn't play it back. You must purchase third party software (ie. Roxio) to play back BluRays and even DVD's on Windows. I'm just as upset with Roxio as I am with Apple for not including a way to play back BluRay. Roxio could make a lot of money if they released a BluRay player for the Mac right now.

As it is, you can get around it by using Make MKV to stream a BluRay commercial disc to VLC to watch the content. This is because Make MKV provides all the necessary items to decrypt the BluRay. I just doesn't include the player. We just need someone to do Both. Any takers????

You're claiming that AACS doesn't need access to the OS and that Windows has not added AACS support so 3rd-partties can create apps that will for encrypted store-bought content to play via Winsows?
post #78 of 91
Quote:

You're claiming that AACS doesn't need access to the OS and that Windows has not added AACS support so 3rd-partties can create apps that will for encrypted store-bought content to play via Winsows?

Apparently having no AACS support in earlier operating Systems like Windows XP etc.. hasn't stopped Nero AND Roxio from developing players for it.

http://www.windows7news.com/2009/03/...u-ray-support/
post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Apparently having no AACS support in earlier operating Systems like Windows XP etc.. hasn't stopped Nero AND Roxio from developing players for it.

http://www.windows7news.com/2009/03/...u-ray-support/

Your link isn’t very informative. Nero’s system requirements page on the other hand is informative.
For playback of protected high definition content (home recorded BD-AV or AVCREC discs), additionally:

For 64bit systems, Windows Vista or later is required
The installed Blu-ray Disc drive must support AACS

Additional Requirements for Playing Protected High-ResolutionContent

One of the following processors with at least the specified clock speed: AMD Athlon 64 FX 2.6 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.2 GHz, AMD Turion 64 X2 2 GHz, Intel® CoreDuo 2 GHz, Intel® Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, Intel® Pentium® Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz, Intel® Pentium® D 3.4 GHz
Minimum 1 GB RAM
Up to 50 GB free hard drive space for Blu-ray Disc BD-R/RE dual layer disc images
Up to 30 GB free drive space for HD DVD-R/RW dual layer disc images
Minimum Vista® for 64-bit systems
AACS support by means of the installed Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD drive
Graphics card with at least 256 MB video RAM based on: nVidia GeForce 6600GT, 7600GT, 7800GTX512, 7900GS, 7900GT, 7900GX, 7900GTX, 7950GT, 7950GTX, 8500, 8600, 8800, 8400M, 8600M or newer. ATI series X1600, X1650, X1800, X1900, X1950, Radeon HD or newer in one of the following board and screen combinations: PCI-Express/Onboard video board with built-in display (e.g. notebook or integrated PC). PCI-Express video board with support for DVI/HDMI and HDCP, screen/television with HDMI input or HDCP supported DVI input. PCI-Express video board with VGA output and VGA monitor. PCI-Express video board with component video output and video output, CGMS-A and Macrovision support, television or projector. On analog monitors some discs display only at low resolution or not at all.
The newest graphics drivers with COPP support. Recommended: ATI Catalyst 7.5, nVidia ForceWare 94.24 (Windows XP), ForceWare 158.22 (Windows XP / GeForce 8 Series), ForceWare 158.24 (Windows Vista) or higher
Microsoft® .Net Framework 2.0 must be installed prior to Nero Suite in order to play interactive HDi content on HD DVD-Video
For optimal resolution, the graphics card and the screen should support HDCP - some combinations of graphics card and screen produce poor resolution
Internet connection for updating AACS keys. These are needed in order to play AACS protected Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD videos. See the respective device manual to determine whether a screen or TV device supports HDCP.

It clearly states that AACS must be included for protected content to play. How else is that going to happen unless Apple allows it?
post #80 of 91
Quote:

Your link isnt very informative. Neros system requirements page on the other hand is informative.
For playback of protected high definition content (home recorded BD-AV or AVCREC discs), additionally:

For 64bit systems, Windows Vista or later is required
The installed Blu-ray Disc drive must support AACS

Additional Requirements for Playing Protected High-ResolutionContent

One of the following processors with at least the specified clock speed: AMD Athlon 64 FX 2.6 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.2 GHz, AMD Turion 64 X2 2 GHz, Intel® CoreDuo 2 GHz, Intel® Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, Intel® Pentium® Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz, Intel® Pentium® D 3.4 GHz
Minimum 1 GB RAM
Up to 50 GB free hard drive space for Blu-ray Disc BD-R/RE dual layer disc images
Up to 30 GB free drive space for HD DVD-R/RW dual layer disc images
Minimum Vista® for 64-bit systems
AACS support by means of the installed Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD drive
Graphics card with at least 256 MB video RAM based on: nVidia GeForce 6600GT, 7600GT, 7800GTX512, 7900GS, 7900GT, 7900GX, 7900GTX, 7950GT, 7950GTX, 8500, 8600, 8800, 8400M, 8600M or newer. ATI series X1600, X1650, X1800, X1900, X1950, Radeon HD or newer in one of the following board and screen combinations: PCI-Express/Onboard video board with built-in display (e.g. notebook or integrated PC). PCI-Express video board with support for DVI/HDMI and HDCP, screen/television with HDMI input or HDCP supported DVI input. PCI-Express video board with VGA output and VGA monitor. PCI-Express video board with component video output and video output, CGMS-A and Macrovision support, television or projector. On analog monitors some discs display only at low resolution or not at all.
The newest graphics drivers with COPP support. Recommended: ATI Catalyst 7.5, nVidia ForceWare 94.24 (Windows XP), ForceWare 158.22 (Windows XP / GeForce 8 Series), ForceWare 158.24 (Windows Vista) or higher
Microsoft® .Net Framework 2.0 must be installed prior to Nero Suite in order to play interactive HDi content on HD DVD-Video
For optimal resolution, the graphics card and the screen should support HDCP - some combinations of graphics card and screen produce poor resolution
Internet connection for updating AACS keys. These are needed in order to play AACS protected Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD videos. See the respective device manual to determine whether a screen or TV device supports HDCP.

It clearly states that AACS must be included for protected content to play. How else is that going to happen unless Apple allows it?

Yes.. the drives must support AACS, and so must the video cards. But the actual operating system does not have to support AACS. Check out Roxio's website. AACS is simply a double check that The link from the BluRay play back device to the video card and Monitor is not broken so as not to allow you to hook up a device to record it. Roxio's Webpage is very clear on this. Apple doesn't have to ALLOW this or not. you can simply write a program that does it. If you can write a program that can Rip a BluRay DVD, you can certainly write one that can play it back.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iLife '11 Family Pack from Apple, Parallels 6 both spotted early