or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › QuickBooks 2011 for Mac to add support for multiple users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QuickBooks 2011 for Mac to add support for multiple users

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Intuit on Tuesday announced QuickBooks 2011 for Mac, its latest accounting and bookkeeping application with a new multi-user solution, satisfying the most-requested feature from customers.

The new multi-user support in QuickBooks 2011 for Mac includes user permission controls that will allow small-business owners to delegate accounting tasks to others in the company. Intuit said that the "guiding principle" in the development of the latest version of QuickBooks was to save small businesses time.

QuickBooks 2011 for Mac will become available for purchase on Sept. 27, and will support up to five users accessing records at the same time. Administrators will be able to control the level of access individual users have to records.

The 2011 update will also offer milage tracking, the ability to sort transactions in account registers, quick export to Excel or Numbers, and better report customization.

"With the multi-user solution, which includes user permission controls, small business owners will be able to delegate important accounting tasks to others in the company," said Will Lynes, Intuit's QuickBooks for Mac product manager.

QuickBooks 2011 for Mac will also supports QuickBooks connect for the iPhone and iPod touch, and batch invoicing.



The full list features in the new QuickBooks 2011 for Mac, according to Intuit, includes:

Scale the Back Office as You Grow
Multi-User Access allows up to five employees to simultaneously view and edit QuickBooks data files.
User Permissions lets small businesses determine who can work in up to eight accounting activity areas. In addition, iChat integration allows logged-in users to communicate with each other using QuickBooks to avoid crossed wires.
Make Everyday Tasks Easier
Mileage Tracking enables users to log their job-related auto mileage for reimbursement on customer invoices and at tax time, giving small businesses a better understanding of job costs.
Register Sorting allows users to find specific transactions faster by easily sorting account registers by date, type, number, amount, and other fields.
Export Report Data seamlessly to either Excel or Numbers.
Little Square is a free, online magazine with videos, articles and other resources that helps users learn the ins and outs of QuickBooks for Mac.

Customize for Your Needs
Layout Designer offers improved, ready-made templates to give users the ability to create customized forms for estimates, invoices and more. New tools simplify image cropping and field alignment to create a unique, professional look.
Customize Reports allows users to more easily create custom reports with a modern look using familiar Mac-like tools.
post #2 of 41
I'd like to see a QuickBooks app for the iPad.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #3 of 41
Where's the app?
post #4 of 41
Sounds like it is not Quick Books Pro though. Still a step forward.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #5 of 41
BFD.

Any interest in this died years ago
post #6 of 41
Intuit lost me as a Quicken customer when they dropped the ability to print checks with the new version. I hope that will not be an omission with quickbooks.
post #7 of 41
Can the company export file be opened with the Windows version? Most CPAs use Windows so it needs to be cross platform compatible if you have a CPA do your taxes. So it needs to be able to import CPA changes created on Windows version as well.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

BFD.

Any interest in this died years ago

Maybe for Joe but for business the need/want is there.

We are waiting for QBP go multiuser in my office.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Sounds like it is not Quick Books Pro though. Still a step forward.

Don't feel too bad... From what I heard, it still runs fine on System 7... So we got THAT going for us...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #10 of 41
Quicken lost me as a customer, and my recommendations as a consultant to my customers, when they refused to say and do anything about a proper update/upgrade to Quicken for Mac, together with an APP to go on the iPAD/iPHONE.
post #11 of 41
It's a travesty that Bill Campbell (Chairman of Intuit) continues to sit on the board at Apple.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #12 of 41
QuickBooks isn't so bad, we use it every day.

However, Intuit has the world's worst customer service of any company on the planet. Worse then TimeWarner cable, worse then USPS, worse then Comcast. Simply the worst ever.

If you ever run into problems with the program crashing on installation, crashing on use, crashing on upgrades, data corruptions, etc. Your telephone call will be routed to somebody who speaks English as a third or worse language who will then refuse to help you unless you pay their extortion fees.

After you concede to pay the extortion fees they will utterly fail to resolve the issues.

They will then refuse to reverse the extortion fees and disconnect you.

Thank God for AmEx who will wipe the charges if you complain to them, but Intuit will never step up and fix the issue.

Total, complete, a$$holes.
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It's a travesty that Bill Campbell (Chairman of Intuit) continues to sit on the board at Apple.

And has been since 1997! Not to mention that he was a former VP of Marketing at Apple and ran Claris.

I had exactly the same response. If you want to ignore the Mac platform or believe your focus should be on the Windows side due to the nature of your product, then as the CEO of a software company that's a legitimately fine decision. But to sit on the Apple Board for almost 15 years and have your company treat the platform as second class citizens is just unacceptable.
post #14 of 41
Wish they would release it for Canada. Tired of using the PC version since this only supports the US tax system.
post #15 of 41
Would be amazing to see complete feature parity and compatibility between Win and Mac versions. Unfortunately I think that will remain a pipe dream for quite some time.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Can the company export file be opened with the Windows version? Most CPAs use Windows so it needs to be cross platform compatible if you have a CPA do your taxes. So it needs to be able to import CPA changes created on Windows version as well.

Multi-user... Finally!

We are a small co. that is Mac-based and work with our Windows CPA (QB09, I believe). So we have not experienced compatibility issues that I'm aware of.
post #17 of 41
Also...

I agree. It's time for an iPhone/iPad app.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever View Post

And has been since 1997! Not to mention that he was a former VP of Marketing at Apple and ran Claris.

I had exactly the same response. If you want to ignore the Mac platform or believe your focus should be on the Windows side due to the nature of your product, then as the CEO of a software company that's a legitimately fine decision. But to sit on the Apple Board for almost 15 years and have your company treat the platform as second class citizens is just unacceptable.

Whoa, I didn't know that! Well, I'm appalled. Hmm, would Apple take notice of a consumer's complaint about it?
post #19 of 41
There are very few tech companies I hate more than intuit. They can suck a rotten egg and I still would never use any of their products. It's become a matter of principal at this point so I don't even care what improvements they make.
post #20 of 41
As many have stated before. Intuit lost me as a customer awhile ago. I wouldn't use an Intuit program if it was free, came pre-installed on my computer, received automatic free meaningful updates and made me breakfast every morning.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

There are very few tech companies I hate more than intuit. They can suck a rotten egg and I still would never use any of their products. It's become a matter of principal at this point so I don't even care what improvements they make.


What accounting system do you use for your business? Our accounting dept. doesn't ever complain about QB and our CPA recommends it. I guess I'm just lucky I'm not the one who has to use it. They all use Windows and wouldn't know which mouse button to press on a Mac.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What accounting system do you use for your business? Our accounting dept. doesn't ever complain about QB and our CPA recommends it. I guess I'm just lucky I'm not the one who has to use it. They all use Windows and wouldn't know which mouse button to press on a Mac.

Myob has been on mac for decades, has been multiuser for years, and hasnt had stupid accounts breaking bugs like crapbooks. I have never had an update to myob damage my accounts in 20 plus years using it, where as quickbooks broke one of my clients on pretty much every update for 2 years. What a load of who cares
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Intuit lost me as a Quicken customer when they dropped the ability to print checks with the new version. I hope that will not be an omission with quickbooks.

Print cheques? Who still prints, or even uses, cheques these days?
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

Myob has been on mac for decades, has been multiuser for years, and hasnt had stupid accounts breaking bugs like crapbooks. I have never had an update to myob damage my accounts in 20 plus years using it, where as quickbooks broke one of my clients on pretty much every update for 2 years. What a load of who cares

I don't think Myob has been completely without problems. One of my friends owns a business and they chose Myob on Mac as their accounting program. They had so many accounts and invoices that Myob kept crashing and mangling the main file. This was back before OS X. Myob tech support told them they would have to switch over to the Windows version because the Mac version couldn't handle that much data. That is what they did but they continued to have weird issues even on Windows.

We have always run QB on Windows and never a problem.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Print cheques? Who still prints, or even uses, cheques these days?

Every US business.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Every US business.

Wow, so you don't believe in using technology in the US?
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Print cheques? Who still prints, or even uses, cheques these days?

Businesses still do, though mine cuts about 80%+ via the bank's free bill pay system. The remainder are one-offs or other situations that need a check.

gc
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Intuit lost me as a Quicken customer when they dropped the ability to print checks with the new version. I hope that will not be an omission with quickbooks.

...take a step out of the stoneage. Stop using checks! Europe gave them up shortly after WWII.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Businesses still do, though mine cuts about 80%+ via the bank's free bill pay system. The remainder are one-offs or other situations that need a check.

gc

wow, that is so hard to believe, on this site we are told that the US is a digital pioneer, yet now I am reading quite the opposite, who to believe, who to believe.....
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think Myob has been completely without problems. One of my friends owns a business and they chose Myob on Mac as their accounting program. They had so many accounts and invoices that Myob kept crashing and mangling the main file. This was back before OS X. Myob tech support told them they would have to switch over to the Windows version because the Mac version couldn't handle that much data. That is what they did but they continued to have weird issues even on Windows.

We have always run QB on Windows and never a problem.

I've been using Account Edge for Mac for about one year in my small business and I've nothing but good things to report.

I downloaded trial versions of QB and AE and liked AE the best.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Wow, so you don't believe in using technology in the US?

It may be a cultural thing but also a legal situation. For example if you are audited, having a hard copy of transactions can be helpful. Furthermore if your workmans comp auditor comes to your office, at least in California, they are only allowed to examine hard copy records not digital records.

Occasionally bookkeepers try to embezzle by writing a check to themselves and the signature is proof of a valid check. Some companies require two signatures for checks over $500. Anyway checks are not going away any time soon for US businesses.

Also many small businesses are not set up to accept credit cards and wire transfers are expensive. Lastly nobody actually trusts paypal or giving strangers your account info.

As if that isn't enough Google sends me a big check every month which I never refuse.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #32 of 41
No thank you.

We gave up on QuickBooks a long time ago. All of our clients use the much superior AccountEdge for Mac.

AccountEdge has always been multi-user (and cross-platform!!), it's made by a company that actually CARES about Mac users, they have REAL tech support that isn't located in India, that never abandoned the Mac platform for 10 years, they truly listen to their customers' feedback, and... they STILL have more features than QuickBooks 2011.

For example, did you know that QuickBooks for Mac doesn't even let people "create purchase orders from invoices", a very common need for people that work with product sales. QuickBooks for Windows has ALWAYS allowed Windows users to do this, AccountEdge for Mac has ALWAYS allowed Mac & Windows users to do this... yet QuickBooks for Mac doesn't allow Mac users to do this! Absolutely crazy!

AccountEdge is sooo much more customizable than QuickBooks for Mac, too. And... AccountEdge will give you a free copy of AccountEdge for your accountant, so if your accountant doesn't already own AccountEdge, they can get a copy for free to do your taxes.

QuickBooks for Mac also doesn't have integrated payroll services, whereas AccountEdge does.

We are completely fed up with Intuit's lousy products, TERRIBLE product line for Macs, and HORRENDOUS India-based technical support.

Good riddance, QuickBooks. We will never need you because we love AccountEdge.
post #33 of 41
[QUOTE=scotty321;1709882]

"We gave up on QuickBooks a long time ago. All of our clients use the much superior AccountEdge for Mac."


I can't quite beleive you. All of my clients (say 60 businesses) do all use MYOB and they ALL hate it with a passion.

If an alternative was available that worked with our Tax system and Payroll tax Scales etc in Australia, they would ALL jump to it.

MYOB may say it is cross platform, it also claims it is multiuser. Whilst this is true, it is only true in theory.

Anyone that has tried the network version, soon goes back to the standalone version. You cannot have more than three people connected at a time. Constant lockouts with the program crashing and not cleaning up its lock files.

As far as cross platform goes, First Edge is one way only. The Windows version can open the .myo files from the mac, but this is not true in reverse.

I have also heard of issues doing this with Account Edge derived files.


Plus MYOB has some of the worst interface design in the mac world. There are so many elements still hanging on from Mac OS 7 days (perhaps even earlier).

Have you tried editing the forms with any level of precision? This is a nightmare. Using eps files or any highres imagery so your invoices look nice? Forget it. Aligning hairline width lines just so? Forget it.

MYOB suffers from two many window syndrome, and pops open new windows (and often modal) just cause the programmers are too lazy to utilise any modern GUI methods?

ewhizz.net
-
all things bright and technical
Reply
-
all things bright and technical
Reply
post #34 of 41
Oh and licensing for MYOB is done on your company file in MYOB. Any one can down load the trial and open your company file. The license you by is transportable with your company file.

As far as the free copy for your accountant.... only if your Company file is fully licensed. They cannot start their own Company file.
-
all things bright and technical
Reply
-
all things bright and technical
Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Print cheques? Who still prints, or even uses, cheques these days?

You're joking, right? Any business which engages an ever-changing pool of independent contractors pays by cheque (some pay by check, too). One small company I'm involved with has two full-timers -- one of whom handles business matters -- and about 80 contractors. Any solution but cutting cheques would be a colossal waste of time. Unfortunately, thanks to Inuit's careful focus on the customer [/sarcasm], they use QB6 because the payroll system disintegrated more with each succeeding release.

I've tried to get them to investigate alternative programs, but, with two staffers, there isn't time for tryouts. So QB6 lumbers on.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

You're joking, right? Any business which engages an ever-changing pool of independent contractors pays by cheque (some pay by check, too). One small company I'm involved with has two full-timers -- one of whom handles business matters -- and about 80 contractors. Any solution but cutting cheques would be a colossal waste of time. Unfortunately, thanks to Inuit's careful focus on the customer [/sarcasm], they use QB6 because the payroll system disintegrated more with each succeeding release.

I've tried to get them to investigate alternative programs, but, with two staffers, there isn't time for tryouts. So QB6 lumbers on.

No I'm not joking, making payments by a cheque is a backward (old fashioned may be a better term) way of making payments. Electronic payments have been available for a number of years, and are much cheaper, and easier for the bank, and the business to use.
post #37 of 41
Is there any definitive word on whether it can be used by Canadians?

The current Mac version can't print Canadian Image Ready Cheques, implemented a few years back. The new version would need to handle the GST/PST/HST transitions that are happening this year in Ontario and British Columbia. And multi-currency would be nice, given cross-border issues.

These are only tweaks, which I hope the U.S. side took into account when the new version was being planned.

Because Intuit Canada is beyond useless.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Quicken lost me as a customer, and my recommendations as a consultant to my customers, when they refused to say and do anything about a proper update/upgrade to Quicken for Mac, together with an APP to go on the iPAD/iPHONE.

I quit recommending Intuit products years ago, as well. Their incessant insistence that Mac users don't need the same features as WIndows users was the final straw. There's a long list of problems - and nothing from Intuit other than "too bad":
- Can't share data files between Mac and Windws
- Couldn't use Quickbooks Mac in a multiuser environment (MAYBE fixed after 20 years, but we'll see)
- Inferior feature set on the Mac version
- Point of Sale won't run on Macs
- Crappy QC - software that wouldn't run without endless fiddling
- Worthless support - doesn't speak English and has no suggestions other than uninstall and reinstall (if that doesn't work, you have to reinstall Windows, as well)
- My favorite - lousy design. We were using QB Point of Sale and needed to move the data file to another server. The only way to accomplish that was to uninstall the software from every single client computer and reinstall it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Wilson View Post

QuickBooks isn't so bad, we use it every day.

However, Intuit has the world's worst customer service of any company on the planet. Worse then TimeWarner cable, worse then USPS, worse then Comcast. Simply the worst ever.

If you ever run into problems with the program crashing on installation, crashing on use, crashing on upgrades, data corruptions, etc. Your telephone call will be routed to somebody who speaks English as a third or worse language who will then refuse to help you unless you pay their extortion fees.

After you concede to pay the extortion fees they will utterly fail to resolve the issues.

They will then refuse to reverse the extortion fees and disconnect you.

Thank God for AmEx who will wipe the charges if you complain to them, but Intuit will never step up and fix the issue.

Total, complete, a$$holes.

QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Multi-user... Finally!

We'll see. So far, I haven't seen any indication that this will access Windows QB data files. I wouldn't be surprised if Intuit had separate, incompatible Mac and Windows data files.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Wilson View Post

QuickBooks isn't so bad, we use it every day.

However, Intuit has the world's worst customer service of any company on the planet. Worse then TimeWarner cable, worse then USPS, worse then Comcast. Simply the worst ever.

If you ever run into problems with the program crashing on installation, crashing on use, crashing on upgrades, data corruptions, etc. Your telephone call will be routed to somebody who speaks English as a third or worse language who will then refuse to help you unless you pay their extortion fees.

After you concede to pay the extortion fees they will utterly fail to resolve the issues.

They will then refuse to reverse the extortion fees and disconnect you.

Thank God for AmEx who will wipe the charges if you complain to them, but Intuit will never step up and fix the issue.

Total, complete, a$$holes.


Agree. 110%
post #40 of 41
Haven't used it myself, but the new MoneyWorks 6 has some seriously impressive screenshots.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › QuickBooks 2011 for Mac to add support for multiple users