or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 antenna issue 'topical,' but users more interested in Verizon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4 antenna issue 'topical,' but users more interested in Verizon

post #1 of 83
Thread Starter 
A new survey of cell phone users found that 20 percent of potential buyers let the iPhone 4 antenna affect their purchasing decision, but three times as many expressed dismay that Apple's smartphone is not available on U.S. carrier Verizon.

Investment firm Piper Jaffray recently surveyed 258 cell phone users in Minneapolis, Minn., on the iPhone 4 "antennagate" controversy. A total of 177 respondents, or 69 percent, indicated they were aware of issues with the iPhone 4 antenna.

Of those, 20 percent said that the antenna controversy affected their decision on what smartphone to buy.

"In other words, our survey suggests that Apple is losing up to 20% of potential domestic iPhone sales due to the antenna issues," analyst Gene Munster wrote. He noted that could correlate to 880,000 fewer unit sales in the September quarter in a worst-case scenario.

Apple calmed much of the controversy over the iPhone 4's reception, which can be negatively impacted by touching the lower left corner of the device, when it announced in July that it will give away free cases to all who buy the handset through Sept. 30. As that deadline approaches, Munster said he believes Apple will either extend the case program, or reveal further details on its own testing of iPhone 4 reception.

Munster added that though the survey did not include a question specifically asking about the iPhone coming to Verizon's network, most respondents broached the subject anyhow.

"We found that for every one respondent that acknowledged the antenna issue, about three complained about the iPhone not being on Verizon," he wrote. "In other words, the lack of an iPhone on Verizon is holding back sales by about three times more than the antenna issue."



In recent months, numerous rumors have suggested that Apple will bring the iPhone 4 to Verizon in January. Reports have alleged that the company will manufacture a CDMA iPhone that is compatible with the largest wireless network in the U.S.

In Piper Jaffray's survey, most respondents -- 30 percent -- are currently BlackBerry users, while 28 percent own an iPhone. A total of 40 percent said they have considered buying an iPhone 4, compared with just 29 percent who have eyed an Android device.
post #2 of 83
There's the problem - 30% own a CrackBerry. How can we trust their decision making abilities?
post #3 of 83
And yet the device still sells.
post #4 of 83
Has anyone else taken notice to how hard ATT is pushing the new Blackberry (Torch I think). It seems to me that ATT is seeing the end of the exclusive hold on the iphone and is realizing they need to diversify to withstand the inevitable leap of their current customers over to Verizon as soon as the iphone makes the move.
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

There's the problem - 30% own a CrackBerry. How can we trust their decision making abilities?

Or it could be it was cheap at the time and I'm just buying time until some carrier is willing to help Apple to bring iPhone to my part of Kansas. Currently, Verizon is the only carrier that provides a good signal in the places where I live and work.
post #6 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Has anyone else taken notice to how hard ATT is pushing the new Blackberry (Torch I think).

They are pushing it no more than any other of their phones in my book. One thing you have to remember is that AT&T never advertised the iPhone - Apple always did. AT&T is kinda in a bind since they really don't have many high end phones to advertise from Google (most of them are exclusive to Verizon) so their biggest sellers that they can advertise is Blackberry - a phone that they are pretty used to advertising.

I don't think they are pushing very hard - I have maybe seen their ad twice on TV (unscientific I know) ever since it was announced.
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And yet the device still sells.

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.
post #8 of 83
There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.
post #9 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.

They can't do it until the AT&T contract runs out. If they don't do it then, feel free to bitch. It's time...no, it's overdue, but complaining that it isn't happening TODAY doesn't work when they are under contract.
post #10 of 83
Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

Wait till the iPhone shows up on Verizon: Android 9%....8%...7%...6%....
post #11 of 83
Even if Verizon was a partner, if you can't put them in the customer's hands, what does it matter?

McDonalds could be promising them with happy meal, and it still does not matter.

Apple is losing sales right now because people (at least here in Canada) cannot get an iPhone 4 due to NO stock.

Apple is over extending itself.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Has anyone else taken notice to how hard ATT is pushing the new Blackberry (Torch I think). It seems to me that ATT is seeing the end of the exclusive hold on the iphone and is realizing they need to diversify to withstand the inevitable leap of their current customers over to Verizon as soon as the iphone makes the move.

That was exactly my impression when I saw the big display at my local store.
post #13 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.

So when you have a location that has no 4G coverage for whatever reason, what is it going to fall back on?
post #14 of 83
A lot more than 177 people would be needed to make a survey more closer to accurate.
post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So when you have a location that has no 4G coverage for whatever reason, what is it going to fall back on?

That's a major problem for Verizon and Sprint. That is why it won't make sense for them to have an iPhone until 2013-2014,,,,,when their 4G footprint is large enough to provide adequate national coverage. Until then.....oh well.
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.

Easier said than done. Unless you've read the contract between AT&T and Apple. I'm sure Apple is fed up with AT&T. I'm sure if they're able to add Verizon they would've done so already.
post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

A lot more than 177 people would be needed to make a survey more closer to accurate.

Groan. Here we go again.

First, it is more than 177.

Second, you should learn a little bit about sampling theory, and the margin of error in samples. Here's something to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan. Here we go again.

First, it is more than 177.

Second, you should learn a little bit about sampling theory, and the margin of error in samples. Here's something to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

Thanks bud. It's ok I get it.
I'm just saying. Of course we all make comments we know to be right until someone points out we're not.

No groaning needed man. It's all good.
post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Thanks bud. It's ok I get it.
I'm just saying. Of course we all make comments we know to be right until someone points out we're not.

No groaning needed man. It's all good.

Fair point about the groaning. I take that back.

It's just that, every time there's a story with a sample survey, this issue crops up......
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

That's a major problem for Verizon and Sprint. That is why it won't make sense for them to have an iPhone until 2013-2014,,,,,when their 4G footprint is large enough to provide adequate national coverage. Until then.....oh well.

I have to agree with this to an extent, but I don't think it's enough to keep an iphone off their network. That's inane.

The point remains: What will the phones fall back on when not in 4g coverage? You think they'll have 100% coverage by 2014? No lol. So CDMA is not dead, and won't be dead probably for a good while longer while they transition.
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Fair point about the groaning. I take that back.

It's just that, every time there's a story with a sample survey, this issue crops up......

And the same response get copy pasted....

I think that it only takes one person that likes Apple products to make a survey...
post #22 of 83
I don't blame people for being skeptical after the whole "antennagate" debacle--the news media made it into a complete spectacle. I thought in the back of my mind, "Somehow...some way....they're going to blame Obama for this."

The biggest tragedy of the whole thing was people were spoonfed what to think by the media, didn't question anything, and bought into it hook, line, and sinker. Sounds a lot like the Iraq War if you ask me. I loved the whole "We tested other peoples' phones....here they are." video series....classic.
post #23 of 83
I got my iphone 4 about three weeks ago at an AT&T store. The sales staff were suggesting other smartphones to customers. When I went in the store I simply said that I wanted to buy an iPhone 4 and no one suggested anything else to me. While I was in the store twice, once to order and then to pick up and activate 4 days later, I paid attention to what others were walking out of the store with. The majority were buying iPhones.

My decision was made after hearing and reading all the antenna stuff. Since getting my phone I have not noticed any problems. My wife has a 3GS and I haven't seen any difference in what either of us can do. Just got my free case from Apple (made by Belkin) today and I will use it for protection not reception.

I live in rural Maine and at home must use a microcell as there is no cell signal from any carrier.
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Even if Verizon was a partner, if you can't put them in the customer's hands, what does it matter?

McDonalds could be promising them with happy meal, and it still does not matter.

Apple is losing sales right now because people (at least here in Canada) cannot get an iPhone 4 due to NO stock.

Apple is over extending itself.


Over extended? Not really. The production capacity may be running at full rate currently, but it's easy enough to add capacity if required. Plus, the rumor CDMA version of iPhone will be produced by a different OEM, so the current capacity bottleneck doesn't apply to the CDMA phone.
post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.

Everybody and his mom wants an iPhone on Verizon. If they don't make the move soon, they have nobody to blame but themselves for literally millions of lost sales as well as the ultimate success of Android. How can Apple continue to be successful if they refuse to produce the products their customers clearly want?
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So did Vista. So does Windows 7. Do people really love it? Do people really like ATT? Or do they just use it because they have no choice? The fact that Apple exists at all proves there is a market for choice. Be it in OS or carriers.

Put the blasted phone on Verizon already. What do you have to loose Apple? Come on! You gave us buttons on a shuffle! You gave us a camera on an iPod touch. You're selling iPads for less than a thousand dollars. If you can do all that, you can do anything.

That's the spirit !
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post

They can't do it until the AT&T contract runs out. If they don't do it then, feel free to bitch. It's time...no, it's overdue, but complaining that it isn't happening TODAY doesn't work when they are under contract.

What bitching? I'm offering words of encouragement. It's the new me. Keep everything positive. Besides, didn't i read here earlier this year that it's gonna happen this Xmas?
post #28 of 83
I could care less about verizon and have has no problems with my anntena... The proximity sensor on the other hand is driving ms crazy. I can talk to someone without inadvertently switching to speaker phone or FaceTime several times during the call.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Over extended? Not really. The production capacity may be running at full rate currently, but it's easy enough to add capacity if required. Plus, the rumor CDMA version of iPhone will be produced by a different OEM, so the current capacity bottleneck doesn't apply to the CDMA phone.

*cough* White Iphone.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Easier said than done. Unless you've read the contract between AT&T and Apple. I'm sure Apple is fed up with AT&T. I'm sure if they're able to add Verizon they would've done so already.

I would like to see better relations between Verizon and Apple on all fronts. I have a FIOS DVR and there is good software available for the PC to beam YouTube and content from your computer to the TV. Nuthin for the Mac. It's like having that part of Apple TV's functionality included for the price of cable.

On a positive note (Yes, let's be positive here) I used to be bugged by Verizon's lack of IMAP email, but with the iP4 multi tasking, it's no longer an issue. Just keep the mail app open all day. Now if someone would just email me...
post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I could care less about verizon and have has no problems with my anntena..l.

Neither do I. If the iPhone goes to Verizon I would wait until my contract expires in summer 2012. Assuming the earth's polarity doesn't change direction by then.

But there are tons (vague term on purpose) of users who would get an iPhone 4 (5?) on Verizon. It's a money maker.

Take a page from Nike Mr. Jobs. Just do it.
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

Wait till the iPhone shows up on Verizon: Android 9%....8%...7%...6%....

Haven't you heard? iPhone is dead and Android is the new Microsoft of mobile phones, Apple is now the bit player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Even if Verizon was a partner, if you can't put them in the customer's hands, what does it matter?

McDonalds could be promising them with happy meal, and it still does not matter.

Apple is losing sales right now because people (at least here in Canada) cannot get an iPhone 4 due to NO stock.

Apple is over extending itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Everybody and his mom wants an iPhone on Verizon. If they don't make the move soon, they have nobody to blame but themselves for literally millions of lost sales as well as the ultimate success of Android. How can Apple continue to be successful if they refuse to produce the products their customers clearly want?

Apple can be successful as long as people are still buying. The thing is too many people want to buy. Apple hasn't overextended, they under extended in this case. Sure, people in the USA want a Verizon phone, everyone else around the world just wants to be able to buy the bloody current one. It will be very interesting to see how Steve steers this ship. I wish him the best of health.
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

I could care less about verizon and have has no problems with my anntena... The proximity sensor on the other hand is driving ms crazy. I can talk to someone without inadvertently switching to speaker phone or FaceTime several times during the call.

Well hopefully that should be fixed within the next few days with iOS 4.1. Do report back and let us know how it went.
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

What bitching? I'm offering words of encouragement. It's the new me. Keep everything positive. Besides, didn't i read here earlier this year that it's gonna happen this Xmas?

Nice. Positive is the new black, I hope...
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Thanks bud. It's ok I get it.
I'm just saying. Of course we all make comments we know to be right until someone points out we're not.

No groaning needed man. It's all good.

Great reply.
post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

There is a reason why Sprint and Verizon are the first two carriers to build out a 4G Network. Their current CDMA networks are dead.

That's the funniest thing I heard all day. I thought you were just being sarcastic until I read your next post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

That's a major problem for Verizon and Sprint. That is why it won't make sense for them to have an iPhone until 2013-2014,,,,,when their 4G footprint is large enough to provide adequate national coverage. Until then.....oh well.

Even in 2013, Verizon's 4G footprint may not be big enough to not have CDMA to fall back on. Think less coverage than tmobile. And even if it was, how many millions would have gone to Android by then? Switching between Android and iPhone once you've invested in one is like switching between Mac and PC. Sure, it can be done; but all the money you spent in buying apps, all the time you spent learning how the OS works, is thrown out the window. The relatively minor incremental cost for Apple to deploy a Verizon iPhone is probably insignificant to the cost of getting an established Android user to switch platforms and repurchase all their apps 3 years from now.

Apple needs to be able to fight Android on a level playing field in the US. And they can't do that if they only have access to 1/3 of the US cell phone market (ATT's customer base).
post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Androids have only a 9% share?

I thought that they had taken over, from all the hyperventilating that went on here from some?

Wait till the iPhone shows up on Verizon: Android 9%....8%...7%...6%....

It will inevitably show up on Verizon for sure. But when is the question. Last year, we had rumors of November and that came and went. This year, we have rumors of Janurary and that'll probably come and go with no iPhone on Verizon.

Until then, Android will: 9%...10%...11%...13%...15%...20%...

If Apple waits too long, it won't matter if the iPhone shows up on Verizon. Too many will have jumped onto the Android ship.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I have a FIOS DVR and there is good software available for the PC to beam YouTube and content from your computer to the TV. Nuthin for the Mac.

But isn't that a pretty common situation for Macs?

And do you really think that the FIOS software is good? I've used it a couple of times, but I think it kind of sucks.

I always just plug the laptop into the TV using HDMI. I have a long HDMI cable that goes to the table next to my seat. Its easy and quick with only one wire, and I get 5.1 sound with it. The battery lasts for several movies.

With a desktop, the FIOS software is the best choice, I guess. But laptops all have HDMI out.
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

... If Apple waits too long, it won't matter if the iPhone shows up on Verizon. Too many will have jumped onto the Android ship.

Embarking on the DV Android is like going on a cruise to no where. They'll be eager to jump off if they get a chance to sail to the islands on the SY iPhone.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would like to see better relations between Verizon and Apple on all fronts. I have a FIOS DVR and there is good software available for the PC to beam YouTube and content from your computer to the TV. Nuthin for the Mac. It's like having that part of Apple TV's functionality included for the price of cable.

On a positive note (Yes, let's be positive here) I used to be bugged by Verizon's lack of IMAP email, but with the iP4 multi tasking, it's no longer an issue. Just keep the mail app open all day. Now if someone would just email me...

Isn't Verizon bringing Fios to the iPad? Maybe that's a start..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 antenna issue 'topical,' but users more interested in Verizon