or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Running Keynote presentation from iPhone problem...

Running Keynote presentation from iPhone problem...

post #1 of 4
As a teacher, I use Keynote often in my classroom. I have been toying with using the iPhone as the remote with Apple's Remote app and I find it to be an interesting option.

The problem is this: I have to set up a computer to computer WiFi network in my MBP to get it to work. But if the iPhone falls asleep or if I open another app, it drops the connection. The only way I have been able to pair the iPhone and MBP again involves resetting the wifi network and closing the remote app and then !

Is there something simle I am missing
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #2 of 4
Does your school not have an available WiFi network to which you could connect both devices?

If there is an available WiFi network, but connecting both devices to said network does not enable them to find one another then there is a configuration problem with (or intentional filtering of) the WiFi network and you'll have to speak with your school's IT department/person.
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Does your school not have an available WiFi network to which you could connect both devices?

If there is an available WiFi network, but connecting both devices to said network does not enable them to find one another then there is a configuration problem with (or intentional filtering of) the WiFi network and you'll have to speak with your school's IT department/person.

First off, the IT people in our school want to have nothing to do with teacher's problems... Especially if it has anything to do with Macs!!

Second, our school's WiFi system is configured such that any connection to the network is tunneled directly to the Internet. I dont understand exactly the proper technological terms, but is is an attempt to keep students from being able to corrupt/ infect/ or hack the schools network. The end result is that no devices on the WiFi network can "see" another devices on the network (without going through the whole internets and their potocals.

My problem (and it is not much of a problem now because I gave it up and am back to using a Keyspan RF remote and dongle) is that I cannot keep the iPhone and PowerBook connected through short periods of inactivity. There is no way I can stop class to set up an ad hoc network every time I want to go to the remote and I can't seem to keep them from disconnecting...

Anyway, thanks for your interest but I seem to have given up...
Still, if anyone has been through this and has an easy answer, I would love to hear it!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #4 of 4
They will use a setup like this:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7612823_cr...an-router.html

You can get a mini repeater like the Airport Express and plug it in your room and set it to an IP range that won't conflict with your school's network. If they hand out IPs like 192.168.0.1 etc, you'd use 192.168.4.x or whatever. Then connect both your laptop and iPhone to the repeater. You use encryption and disable the broadcast SSID and connect manually.

You could also turn on internet sharing on your laptop and get your iPhone to connect to it but the iPhone might not be able to see your laptop automatically that way.

The RF remote is probably the best way to go.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Running Keynote presentation from iPhone problem...