or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple working together with BridgeCo to launch AirPlay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple working together with BridgeCo to launch AirPlay - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

well, it's nice not to need an Airport Express anymore with AirTunes for sending music to other rooms (you could always use an optical cable if in the same room). but this is high end stuff i'll never buy. and you still have to go back to your computer to select the tracks/lists. whereas just carrying around your iPod/iPhone and plugging it in to an iHome-type device in every room is cheaper and more flexible.

You don't need to plug it in. You just stream your music wirelessly.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

... and you still have to go back to your computer to select the tracks/lists. whereas just carrying around your iPod/iPhone and plugging it in to an iHome-type device in every room is cheaper and more flexible. ...

If you already have an iPhone for, "plugging it in to an iHome-type device in every room," you can currently use the free Apple Remote app to control what is playing, so, this actually seems much simpler and better: stream to your speakers (from iTunes on your computer, or from your iPhone) without having to plug the device in, leaving you free to use it as needed, rather than having to interrupt the music to take or make a call, or use some app to do something. As to cheaper, that will depend on what these systems cost, won't it? The dock style devices may be cheaper or these may.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

That page on Apple's site is so blatantly misleading that it borders on false advertising.

If you read the actual text on the page, you find this:

"AirPlay wireless technology will be fully integrated into speaker docks, AV receivers, and stereo systems from companies such as Bowers & Wilkins and Denon."

Note that it says "will be", which equates to a prediction, not a statement of actual fact. Note also that even if it said "is already fully integrated ..", that the literal truth of the claim would be satisfied if AirPlay were integrated only into speaker docks, and not into any AV receivers. The picture on the Denon AV receiver on that page has no meaningful connection with reality, and as such, it borders on false representation. There is no interoperability between AirPlay and any Denon AV receiver at the present time, and no one who represents either Apple or Denon has said anything to suggest that there is any engineering effort under way to bring to the market a Denon AV receiver that is interoperable with AirPlay. Why, then, is this Denon AV receiver pictured so prominently on this page on Apple's site?

Just about three months ago I purchased a new AV receiver. I searched high and low for anything compatible with AirTunes, so that I would not have to buy and use an Airport Express as an external component. I could not find a single AV receiver that had any such compatibility. What I discovered, however, is that there are a whole lot of them that are certified DLNA compliant, and that work perfectly well with music servers that are similarly DLNA compliant.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/d...-this-fall-th/
post #44 of 47
Like where this is going. There will definitely be a market for "dongles" that are smaller/cheaper than Airport Express. If someone has to build the "receiver" into their product. There is no reason the "receiver" couldn't be JUST a "receiver"...which means by by Airport Express.

Hope Apple hasn't put fine print to prevent this from happening. They are pretty sharkish about controlling all aspects of the whole Apple experience.

Wonder when Bose will jump on this.....
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you already have an iPhone for, "plugging it in to an iHome-type device in every room," you can currently use the free Apple Remote app to control what is playing, so, this actually seems much simpler and better: stream to your speakers (from iTunes on your computer, or from your iPhone) without having to plug the device in, leaving you free to use it as needed, rather than having to interrupt the music to take or make a call, or use some app to do something. As to cheaper, that will depend on what these systems cost, won't it? The dock style devices may be cheaper or these may.

right, true, once you have new AirPlay equipped gizmos in every room you can use the Remote app for this, as long as your computer is on and you are logged in (but if some other user is on it, no dice). but why replace your old gizmos as long as they work, or pay extra for AirPlay? and they charge your plugged in iThing for you too, which is a consideration. and actually some gizmos, like headphones (and hands free in cars), can already play the audio from your iThing wirelessly via blutooth now. btw, am using an old iPhone 2G for this at home - they make a good iPod after their phone days are over.

so for music AirPlay is a nice incremental improvement, but its big plus is for wirelessly getting video to your TV from your iThings - including the iPad, which is not easily "dockable." docks and cables just don't work well with couch potato-ing. you have to keep getting up!
post #46 of 47
The only concern I have with AirPlay is that it uses wifi. For video this is unavoidable but for audio it's going to be a battery problem unless the client devices have built in storage. Leaving the wifi radio active for 30 minutes to listen to 30 minutes of music is going to murder battery life. Leaving it on for 1 minute to download 30 minutes of audio would be fine. Hopefully it's smart enough to use Bluetooth for audio when possible.
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

The only concern I have with AirPlay is that it uses wifi. For video this is unavoidable but for audio it's going to be a battery problem unless the client devices have built in storage. Leaving the wifi radio active for 30 minutes to listen to 30 minutes of music is going to murder battery life. Leaving it on for 1 minute to download 30 minutes of audio would be fine. Hopefully it's smart enough to use Bluetooth for audio when possible.

Don't hold me to it but I read Bluetooth has limited bandwidth thus degrade your audio quality while AirPlay use lossless compression over WIFI.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple working together with BridgeCo to launch AirPlay