or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rivals and partners comment on Apple's recent moves.

Rivals and partners comment on Apple's recent moves.

post #1 of 90
Google, Intel and Acer have commented on Apple recently, with comments ranging from praise for its revised App Store policies, to criticism from the co-founder of Acer, which called Apple's products "mutant viruses."

Google

Google Vice President of Product Management Omar Hamoui posted the comments on the Mobile Ads Blog, praising Apple's changes to its iOS Developer Program license. According to Hamoui, "these new terms ensure that Apple's developers have the choice of a variety of advertising solutions (including Google's and AdMob's)."

"This is great news for everyone in the community, as we believe that a competitive environment is the best way to drive innovation and growth in mobile advertising" wrote Hamoui.

Google is "pleased that Apple clarified its terms," continued Hamoui, "We're 100% committed to developing the best possible advertising solutions and formats for the iPhone - as well as for Android devices, BlackBerry devices, Palm devices, Windows mobile devices."

In April, Apple modified the terms of its mobile OS developer agreement to prevent outside advertising agencies from collecting user data. According to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, the changes were made to protect user privacy. The restriction was relaxed in June, but a clause was added that seemed to single out Google and its recent acquisition AdMob.

According to the developer agreement, "an independent advertising service provider whose primary business is serving mobile ads" would be allowed to collect user or device data. However, "an advertising service or provider owned or affiliated with a developer or distributor of mobile devices, mobile operating systems of development environments other than Apple would not qualify as independent."

Although Apple never actually blocked Google or AdMob, some developers were hesitant to implement their ad networks. Scott Dunlap, the chief executive of NearbyNow Inc., told the Wall Street Journal, "We stayed away from adding anything other than the iAd network."

Intel

In an interview with the Journal, Intel CEO Paul Otellini criticized the recently announced Apple TV, saying Jobs took a "step backward" with it. Intel is partnering with Google to launch a rival set top box platform, Google TV, which will begin shipping this month with units from Sony and Logitech.

Otellini promoted Google TV as having the "full internet," unlike Apple TV. He sees Apple TV as appealing to his mom because of its simplicity, while Google TV would appeal to his son.

When questioned about the growing popularity of the iPad, Otellini remarked that the industry would not "let Apple run away with this one."

Although Intel provide chips for all of Apple's Macs, the company has steadily lost ground in non-PC markets. The Apple TV, which used to use an Intel processor, now sports the same custom-built A4 ARM-based processor as the iPad, iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch.

In August, Intel bought the wireless unit of iPhone chipmaker Infineon for $1.4 billion as part of a play to regain lost ground in the wireless space. Infineon makes the baseband chip for the iPhone.

Acer

Acer founder Stan Shih in an interview compared Apple's products to "mutant viruses" which are hard to cure in the short-term. According to the Digitimes report, Shih believes that "PC vendors will eventually find a way to isolate Apple and become immune."

Shih admits that Apple deserves to be respected, but sees Apple's "closed" strategy as weaker in the longer-term than that of other PC brands. Drawing comparisons to the Windows versus Mac and Betamax versus VHS showdowns, Shih believes "open" eventually wins.

Apple's "culture of innovation" can be learned from, though, according to Shih. He believes Taiwan's industry focuses too much on hardware and should instead incorporate Apple-like creativity to go after the nascent Chinese market.

In August, Acer chairman JT Wang predicted that the market share of the iPad will drop from 100 percent to between 20 to 30 percent.
post #2 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He sees Apple TV as appealing to his mom because of its simplicity, while Google TV would appeal to his son.

Very interesting quote. Apple does indeed seem to be wooing unsophisticated technophobes with their newest products.

Will that strategy work in the long term, with a generation who used computers before they could read? Do they want simplicity or capability?
post #3 of 90
Intel needs to develop an A4 equivalent and get over the sour apples. If they don't shut the pie hole they may loose the business that is Mac to AMD.

Acer is just out there. What a weird company PR team they have. Market share does not mean profitability.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #4 of 90
wow these boys are mad
post #5 of 90
Shih is full of Shit!

<I just couldn't resist>

Sorry
post #6 of 90
Quote:

He sees Apple TV as appealing to his mom because of its simplicity, while Google TV would appeal to his son.

Hahah what teenager in their right mind would use the internet on such a big screen in front of everyone? hahaha
post #7 of 90
If “open” (meaning Acer + Windows??) always wins, then I take it that Linux defeated Microsoft and Apple alike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Very interesting quote. Apple does indeed seem to be wooing unsophisticated technophobes with their newest products.

Will that strategy work in the long term, with a generation who used computers before they could read? Do they want simplicity or capability?

Look at cars: we all grew up with cars, but few of us need the “capability” to mod every aspect ourselves. People want the capability of what the thing will actually do for them.

Ease of use will win over obscure customizations... and Apple will keep delivering on the capability front too
post #8 of 90
Haters'll say and do haterlike shit. Can't be mad at that.
iPhone 4 32GB (black), iPod touch 32GB, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB, iPod classic 80 GB (white) 160GB (black), 2x 5th gen iPod 30GB (black + white), iMac 27", MacBook Pro 17", Time Capsule 1TB, Apple TV
iPhone 4 32GB (black), iPod touch 32GB, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB, iPod classic 80 GB (white) 160GB (black), 2x 5th gen iPod 30GB (black + white), iMac 27", MacBook Pro 17", Time Capsule 1TB, Apple TV
post #9 of 90
Can't you just feel the love?! One would have expected better from the executives at such major competitors. The quality of their sniping is somewhat pathetic.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #10 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Hahah what teenager in their right mind would use the internet on such a big screen in front of everyone? hahaha

how old is his son?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #11 of 90
Quote:
Acer founder Stan Shih in an interview compared Apple's products to "mutant viruses" which are hard to cure in the short-term. According to the Digitimes report, Shih believes that "PC vendors will eventually find a way to isolate Apple and become immune."

This has got to be one of the most idiotic comments I've ever seen or heard. Did he ever think that Apple would simply evolve again and leave PC vendors in the dust again once they finally caught up? Or did he think that they were going to stand still, like his company? Mr. Shih, good luck on getting your CEO parachute compensation. You'll need it on your way out.
post #12 of 90
I needed a windows laptop and I found an Acer with great specs. What a piece of crap that machine was and not because of OS that was on it. Acer probably has 0 credibility with anyone that has had to use one of their products.
post #13 of 90
If Apple products are "mutant virii", then Acer products are a virulent case of gonorrhea.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 90
I guess the real lesson is that everybody likes to thump their own chest. The IP TV concept is still in its infancy, we don't know what it's going to be like two years from now. I suppose anyone that has access to desirable content and a well-laid-out UI that doesn't require too much fiddling set up has a strong chance. The players really need to move beyond techie appeal to get market traction.

We also don't know what the tablet market is going to be like two years from now any more than anyone had a real idea of what the smartphone market was going to be like when the iPhone was announced. The original model was pretty limited at first, but it later expanded into an ecosystem.
post #15 of 90
Wow, that Acer guy is a clueless idiot. I'd think comments like that would mean he'd be replaced pretty fast.

I mean on one hand, you have Apple which typically releases top quality products that people are fanatic about. Then you have some bozo who is the founder of some low to mid-end computer brand that is just PC maker that is not particularly thought of in high regard.

Hmmmm, which company has credibility and why should we care what this Shih guy says about a brand he can't even come close to competing with in terms of public perception of quality.
post #16 of 90
sorry, shih, apple is kicking your ass in all aspects of running a business. and i do mean kicking your ass. sounds like sour grapes to me.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #17 of 90
My initial reaction is that you'd have to be insane to think that the iPad's market share will drop to 20-30 percent. What, exactly, does he think is going to supplant it? What Apple has going for it - and it's obviously realized this - is a mature platform which it can now grow to serve an ever expanding market. For someone to legitimately compete, they'd not only have to create the hardware, which most companies remain hesitant to invest in, but the software as well. iOS already runs an enormous percentage of mobile devices. Windows Mobile couldn't even compete in a market it already owned. Android is the closest thing that iOS has to a competitor; though Google is limited by its inability to develop hardware that can maximize the potential of its software solutions. It's depending on companies who, up until this time, made their living by developing beige boxes and slide out keyboards, and asking them to innovate. They will continue to develop a competitive product, as in and of itself, Google is an innovative company. But they will likely continue to play catchup with iOS in many respects. I simply don't see this as a formula that unseats the iPad with David-and-Goliath like ease.
post #18 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

My initial reaction is that you'd have to be insane to think that the iPad's market share will drop to 20-30 percent. What, exactly, does he think is going to supplant it? What Apple has going for it - and it's obviously realized this - is a mature platform which it can now grow to serve an ever expanding market. For someone to legitimately compete, they'd not only have to create the hardware, which most companies remain hesitant to invest in, but the software as well. iOS already runs an enormous percentage of mobile devices. Windows Mobile couldn't even compete in a market it already owned. Android is the closest thing that iOS has to a competitor; though Google is limited by its inability to develop hardware that can maximize the potential of its software solutions. It's depending on companies who, up until this time, made their living by developing beige boxes and slide out keyboards, and asking them to innovate. They will continue to develop a competitive product, as in and of itself, Google is an innovative company. But they will likely continue to play catchup with iOS in many respects. I simply don't see this as a formula that unseats the iPad with David-and-Goliath like ease.

The other thing regarding Android... It's only free because Google sees it as their way to get more eyeballs on the web to support their advertising model. If other more effective methods of advertising unseat Google's model, no more Android. Apple already makes serious cash from every sale of their iOS devices.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The IP TV concept is still in its infancy, we don't know what it's going to be like two years from now. I suppose anyone that has access to desirable content and a well-laid-out UI that doesn't require too much fiddling set up has a strong chance. The players really need to move beyond techie appeal to get market traction.

Agree. The transition to a pervasive IP TV will be a protracted process because the cable co's will not lay down and die without a fight. They are becoming redundant middlemen and will eventually whither.

Quote:

They will want simplicity and capability. These devices are for the living room - not a good place to geek out. What people want is easy access to content, period. Whoever can offer the most content with the easiest access will win the battle. Oh, and they will also need the best marketing. I'd say Apple is in an as good a place as Google or any other contender at this point.
post #20 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Apple products are "mutant virii", then Acer products are a virulent case of gonorrhea.

Latin plural of virus is viri, not virii. Extra I in radii is present in singular radIus.
post #21 of 90
Quote:

Shih believes "open" eventually wins.

Morons always believe that. They're always wrong.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
I am the Great Bug

:-P
post #22 of 90
If Apples are mutant viruses, then Acers are the common strain readily blocked through vaccination.
post #23 of 90
Man there are some haters out there. Da**!
And even if Apple does end up with 20-30 % of the tablet market that is awesome. But meanwhile the other 70-80 % will be made up of like 500 tablet makers at the bottom of the profit margin barrel. Good luck barracudas.
LOL!
And that Acer guys is also a doosh. Look at his company. He's cranking out cheap a** hardware running windows. Where is the originality? He's mad that Apple's ipad will force him and others to compete. They don't want to go down that road. They want the easy way. A MS license and a bunch of pcs. But once they get their tablets rolling they will be cheap and they will eat up their already cheap a** windows machines.

As for the Intel man Mr.O he can kiss my a**! He's mad that Apple simplicity is trumping the bells and whistles cause bell and whistles are all some companies have to sell their sh**! Bells and whistles play with your head and make the product seem like WOW when in reality it is mostly a distraction. Remember those boom boxes from the 80's? All types of lights and cheap equalizers and some even had lots of tweeters. Hell, I remember opening a boom box and noticing that an array of tweeters were just decorations. Not a damn thing came out of them.LOL! FAKE!

I really believe that when the ipad came out all the crap the haters were talking were coming from corporate headquarters. Apple said they were changing the game and they did and these hating mother****** are sweating.
Got my ipad 16 gig with wifi+3G. Yes!
Have the iphone 4(16 gig) and sold the 3gs(16 gig) for $150.00.
Got the latest update to iphone 4 and started taking pictures with that HDR features.
OMFG!!!!! OMFG!!!! OMFG!!!

I feel like Annie Leibovitz shooting for Vanity Fair! I sent some of my pictures to my email and opened them on the ipad.
BREATHTAKING.
post #24 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One would have expected better from the executives at such major competitors.

Not me. This is EXACTLY what I expect from most of the clowns who run the world. Why do you think Apple has so little competition? For every Steve Jobs, there are a million Steve Ballmers.
post #25 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Wow, that Acer guy is a clueless idiot. I'd think comments like that would mean he'd be replaced pretty fast.

On the contrary, that statement might get Acer some street cred with Apple haters. There's a vocal extreme minority of people who will give their money to anyone who not only is not Apple, but appears to hate Apple just as much as they do.

Granted, when I say extreme minority, I mean that in more than one sense. We're talking about all 10 people who bought the Zune.
post #26 of 90
Quote:

Acer

Shih admits that Apple deserves to be respected, but sees Apple's "closed" strategy as weaker in the longer-term than that of other PC brands. Drawing comparisons to the Windows versus Mac and Betamax versus VHS showdowns, Shih believes "open" eventually wins.

Apple's "culture of innovation" can be learned from, though, according to Shih. He believes Taiwan's industry focuses too much on hardware and should instead incorporate Apple-like creativity to go after the nascent Chinese market.

In August, Acer chairman JT Wang predicted that the market share of the iPad will drop from 100 percent to between 20 to 30 percent.

Great, the Asian Steve Ballmer. Just shut up and make something that doesn't suck ass.
post #27 of 90
Otellini doesn't get it. He's only got Intel's interest in mind.

The fact the Apple TV will appeal to his mum is PRECISELY the reason Apple made the Apple TV.

As for Acer. Take the "r" and place it between the "A" and the "c" and you'll get an idea of what I think of them and pronounce the "c" as a soft c like in Acer.

We are Acer NZ support and their machines are pure crap. I'm pretty sure the iPad out performs their top end PCs by a great margin.
post #28 of 90
Quote:

The iPod outsells every other device in its class. The iPad has sold more than every other tablet device combined in the last 3 years.

People buy what they want. Clearly Apple's aiming for the technophobes strategy is a winner.
post #29 of 90
Quote:

Otellini promoted Google TV as having the "full internet," unlike Apple TV. He sees Apple TV as appealing to his mom because of its simplicity, while Google TV would appeal to his son.

Oh snap. My dad is way cooler then your dad. Your dad runs like a girl, my dad is way more awesomenerer. Anyways, we'll see what happens when Google TV comes out.

Quote:

I don't think that open necessarily eventually wins. Too tired to think of examples, but plays for sure comes to mind, maybe Linux. Obviousely Wikipedia would be a huge counter example but I don't think simply being open is by itself better then being closed.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #30 of 90
Google: Apple officially allowed us to make more money from their platform. How good they are!

Intel: Apple didnt give us chance to make some money on TV market. Bad Apple! Good thing we have Google.

Acer: Year ago we were selling tons of cheap plastic abominations called netbooks. Now Apple came and spoiled all the fun. How nasty of them! Should find some knock-off tablet and make cheap plastic clones of it

Adobe: We still can milk Flash cash cow!

This is what they really are saying.
post #31 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormj;

Latin plural of virus is viri, not virii. Extra I in radii is present in singular radIus.

Actually - there is no Latin plural for virus.
post #32 of 90
Quote:

How about usability?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #33 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If Apples are mutant viruses, then Acers are the common strain readily blocked through vaccination.

My Acer has a virus. A serious one too
post #34 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorCode View Post

Google: Apple officially allowed us to make more money from their platform. How good they are!

Intel: Apple didnt give us chance to make some money on TV market. Bad Apple! Good thing we have Google.

Acer: Year ago we were selling tons of cheap plastic abominations called netbooks. Now Apple came and spoiled all the fun. How nasty of them! Should find some knock-off tablet and make cheap plastic clones of it

Adobe: We still can milk Flash cash cow!

This is what they really are saying.

Near enough, which is why it can be 100% discounted. If he was quoted accurately, the Acer guy deserves a comedy writing award. Either that, or it requires a major case of cognitive dissonance to believe that everybody reselling Windows is a definition of "open."
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #35 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Actually - there is no Latin plural for virus.

Yeah. Coming from a guy with a PhD in microbiology, the field says viruses....fungus on the other hand becomes fungi.
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
post #36 of 90
Quote:

I love how everyone has latched onto this "open" policy and how they all think it represents their strategy. The only truly open strategy is where you build your own machine from scratch and install Linux on it.

As soon as you buy a machine with Windows on it, it's not open. As soon as you buy any branded hardware, it's not open because it will have some proprietary components inside that you have to replace from a limited source when it breaks.

Apple's business model is restrictive in some ways but people are free to port their apps to other platforms, they include the most standards-compliant browser software, their OS is based on open standard software, they promote industry standard media formats where it's appropriate and they support 3rd party hardware components.

PC manufacturers complain about Apple because they can't make any money from their business model but the same is true in reverse. Acer's business model is closed off to Apple and they would never be able to make money from it. I'd like to know how much money Acer make from Dell or HP and if they don't make any, why are they just complaining about Apple?

They might be right and Apple won't succeed in the long term but if that happens, the computer world will suffer badly because of it. I never want to see a day when I can't walk into a store and buy a product that I know a group of people have agonised over the details to make the experience as good as they know how to make it. Acer is not that group of people.
post #37 of 90
Quote:

Don't worry about Apple's roadmap. The "this is a step backwards" comments come from people without imagination. Apple has already announced AirPlay. And this may soon include the ability to stream video and apps between devices, as well as music. Apple is ahead of the game and is slowly sending spinning harddrives in personal devices the way of the floppy drive.

The ultimate simplicity is to have complete access to your media from any of your devices and not have to worry about where the actual files are physically stored. Your premise that you can have either simplicity or capability but not both presents a false dichotomy.

The hub-as-a-living-room-device idea is now old hat. Your circles need to be personal and mobile, moving with you, as in "Mobile me"; and they need to overlap and interact with others' circles. If anything, the new Apple products are designed to get you out of the living room, out of the office, out of the basement. You aren't tied down anymore; you can visit with friends even if your life revolves around computer-based activities.

MS has talked about this but not delivered. Google has released yawn-inducing beta after ugly beta. Apple doesn't talk much, just works on its hobby and releases two or three social networks as incidental features of its regularly scheduled new products.

The "hub" has become an infinite loop with you at the center. You is the new hub.
post #38 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I never want to see a day when I can't walk into a store and buy a product that I know a group of people have agonised over the details to make the experience as good as they know how to make it. Acer is not that group of people.

Although I don't always agree with you, that sentence spells out why Apple is my choice, and the choice of many others, better than any way I could have expressed it. Good post.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #39 of 90
I don't understand the "mutant virus" comment. In what sense do Apple's products self-replicate, and if they are "mutant" then what product was the original virus?
post #40 of 90
Wow, acer, it's best to not let your "founders" open their mouths so we can suspect they might be collosal morons than to let them open them and leave no doubt about it...

Oh, and Otellini, you may be whining now that atv doesn't use your hot, crap cpu but wait until one or two years when amd will be across the board for apple to reminisce how good you had it then when you where crying like a little ...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rivals and partners comment on Apple's recent moves.