or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry

Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry - Page 5

post #161 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

This is the phone market, nobody stays on top forever. Think motorola razr that dominated for years but people like change. Android has a great chance particularly when things get cheap. How will the iPhone and iPad compete with devices that only cost £50 - £100? We've seen with netbooks that people will go with cheap products and android is basically going to give the cheapest brands on the planet a good os for their hardware.

the problem with the cheap Android idea is that the OS does not support it. The term phone is slightly misleading - the iPhone and the iPOd touch are computers, with full internet capability and an SDK. They have all kind of apps. One of those apps on the iPhone makes calls over the traditional carrier network. On the iPod touch Skype can do the same over wifi. Other apps do other stuff.

Android 3.0 needs this kind of power:

Minimum hardware requirements for Android 3.0 devices are: 1GHZ CPU, 512MB or RAM, displays from 3.5” and higher.

Thats what competes with the iPhone from now on. It wont be cheap. Developers wont care about the rest, which will be running versions of 2.2/2.1.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #162 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmmm... it just appears to me that Microsoft have no professionalism whatsoever. Even when they create a product to compete with a world-class product like iOS, they destroy it with this childish and pathetic show.

*shakes head*

Can we believe that 90% of the personal computers in the world run an OS made by people this pathetic and immature?

Can we believe that 90% of the personal computers in the world run an OS that you can't connect to the internet without third party software to keep it sort of safe-ish?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #163 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Thats not a DOT approved helmet!

That's okay - nothing inside it worth protecting.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #164 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

the problem with the cheap Android idea is that the OS does not support it. The term phone is slightly misleading - the iPhone and the iPOd touch are computers, with full internet capability and an SDK. They have all kind of apps. One of those apps on the iPhone makes calls over the traditional carrier network. On the iPod touch Skype can do the same over wifi. Other apps do other stuff.

Android 3.0 needs this kind of power:

Minimum hardware requirements for Android 3.0 devices are: 1GHZ CPU, 512MB or RAM, displays from 3.5” and higher.

Thats what competes with the iPhone from now on. It wont be cheap. Developers wont care about the rest, which will be running versions of 2.2/2.1.

Prices of hardware come down all the time and you have to take into account who is actually making the hardware. When apple sells an iPhone there hardware costs are another companies profits. Give those companies the bit there missing i.e. The os for free and they can sell a very cheap device.

It may be that android is never as good as ios, but I don't think it needs to be. I have around 30 apps on my iPhone out of all of them I would say there are only 4 that couldn't be web apps. The same goes for the iPad, it's best feature is browsing the web. Match the browsing experience for half the price and that's what people will buy. The app store is good, but will people be willing to pay an extra £200-300 for it?
post #165 of 213
Quote:

Prices of hardware come down all the time and you have to take into account who is actually making the hardware. When apple sells an iPhone there hardware costs are another companies profits. Give those companies the bit there missing i.e. The os for free and they can sell a very cheap device.

That bit is missing to Apple too, or is subsumed in the cost of development of the OS. Which is not a major factor.

Hardware costs come down to a certain extent. At the moment Google are supporting fragmentation of their own market.

Of course they dont care about apps, they are riding the app storm until web apps become useful.
post #166 of 213
perhaps microsoft should shutup and put out a good product.

But that's too simple I guess.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #167 of 213
Bunch of losers.
post #168 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Me thinks you are taking the comments here way too serious, it's all in light hearted rib poking at Microsoft and Ballmer and their silliness. Don't most of these post have smiley emoticons on them, it's all good competitive fun.

No I'm taking them seriously enough, most of these comments are basically saying Microsoft is being arrogant. For example go to the first page and read wurm5150 or boredumb posts or anantksundaram or bullhead, I don't think those are light hearted rib poking at Microsoft or Ballmer.
post #169 of 213
Didnt Microsoft die long time ago ?
post #170 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Is Balmer Vader?!

Unfortunately that position has well and truely been secured. In this analogy Ballmer would surely be Rugor Nass

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Na... I'm pretty sure they are still around somewhere. I'm almost certain I heard their phone dev team had some kind of parade to celebrate their OS RTM. Then again I could be wrong... I've been wrong on quite a number of occasions before!
post #171 of 213
Yeap, sounds like an old Apple Computer Spot, but hej, now Apple is not in that mood, maybe Microsoft is....
post #172 of 213
It's too easy to ridicule MS for their stunts and failings. Although it hurts to do it, I'm going to offer a counter comment to the tide here.

Windows 7 Phone, from the reports I have seen, is as good as some flavors of Android at least. What this means is that Windows loyalists now have something to buy. And they will. Others who are not geekologists will buy it on the strength of the brand name. This guarantees some level of success--a piece of the action. When all is said and done, Android, Apple, RIM, and all the others will take their appointed places around the pie chart. No one dominating, some having more than others. Everyone will make some money. This is probably how it should be. Apple has gotten very strong by appealing to its own high margin market and not trying be everything to everyone. Life goes on.

Apple can take quiet satisfaction at having changed the game . . . again.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #173 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk212 View Post

Get a sense of humor, fanboys.

We are Apple. We have no sense of humor.
post #174 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I like you!

post #175 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Think motorola razr that dominated for years but people like change.

Bad example. The iPhone is changed. Every year. The razr wasn't. Look how Apple have ditched successful iPods time and again and replaced them with new models (e.g. Last week). You can bet that the same will happen with other Apple devices, and is certainly happening with the iPhone.
post #176 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbourable View Post

Bad example. The iPhone is changed. Every year. The razr wasn't. Look how Apple have ditched successful iPods time and again and replaced them with new models (e.g. Last week). You can bet that the same will happen with other Apple devices, and is certainly happening with the iPhone.

The iPhone hasn't changed it's been tweeked. It still basically looks the same and has the same interface.

iPods are a good example of change, and by apples own admittance people haven't liked all of them. The razr was also changed a lot but ultimately at some point another phone design comes along that everyone loves and buys, smart phones won't last forever. They will last a long time but at some point things will change.
post #177 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbourable View Post

Great point. This is a key thing that people don't understand with SJ-V2, who appears to have three elements to his strategy: (i) Kill your own before your competitors can get match it; (ii) Keep driving costs down to keep margins high; (iii) Try to keep moving the goalpost.
post #178 of 213
Quote:

..... smart phones won't last forever. They will last a long time but at some point things will change.

This time, Apple will be in front of it. Just as they were with the iPad.
post #179 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

... Be afraid ... be very afraid ....
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #180 of 213
Quote:

The iPhone hasn't changed it's been tweeked. It still basically looks the same and has the same interface.

The iPhone 4 is a very different beast when compared to the original iPhone. iOS is on it's fourth iteration, vastly improved with hundreds of new features. iOS 4.2 in November. I don't see evidence of stagnation here.

Quote:

They will last a long time but at some point things will change.

And it will be Apple doing the changing.
post #181 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Great point. This is a key thing that people don't understand with SJ-V2, who appears to have three elements to his strategy: (i) Kill your own before your competitors can get match it; (ii) Keep driving costs down to keep margins high; (iii) Try to keep moving the goalpost.

Yep, you get it... strange that the competition doesn't though. They're all busy skating to where the puck was last April.
post #182 of 213
Oh boy.... as though Microsoft needed any more bad publicity: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/wo...2raids.html?hp
post #183 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

That little stunt has Ballmer written all over it.

Well Ballmer has to do something to keep morale up at M$. You know those guys at Redmond are hating life right now...
post #184 of 213
I'm going to use the funeral procession picture as the background image on my new iPad when it arrives. So I can remember to prepare for the day that I might actually drool for another half assed, half thought out, and half developed, stolen idea from the MORONS at Microsoft.

Have these dip shits ever had a single original idea in the entire history of the company? Gates is a great marketer but this Ballmerism is no different than anything Gates ever managed to come up with.

I love seeing Linux and OS X slowly increase market share. Eventually most people are going to realize that Windows is not really all that "necessary" any more..... and the next funeral these guys throw might in fact just be for themselves.

I'll give them that the idea for this is kind of funny..... but it's also really lame. Just like most of what they do.
post #185 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkmeyer View Post

Here I am!

Did anybody get photos for when they buried Kin, too?

That was private ceremony, family members only... next of kin, sort of speak
post #186 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

I bet that sometime in a few years, "bragging" will be said "microsofting".

To be honest, among some circles it is already called "Doing the Job(s)". One comes to that after millionth repeat of words such as magical, awesome and all that.

That being said, this is plain silly. And way premature. Would make some sense this time next year if WM7 would manage to do the Android trick in the first year, but as it is... I'm only wondering if it was orchestrated or did some Balmer butt-licking muppets in MS really figure that out spontaneously to please the big boss.
post #187 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

RIM and Apple already have robust enterprise features. Who cares about Office support? Are you saying people are going to edit documents on a tiny phone screen? LOL. MS is really desperate if that is their marketing plan.

On the other hand, most businesses are full of clueless Microsoft drones who will in no doubt push for tighter vendor lock-in via more proprietary, super expensive, crappy Microsoft products because that is what they get told to do by the MS salespeople.

That is a bit ignorant. A lot of people care about Mobile Office. Possibility to run, say, PowerPoint presentation from the phone instead of carrying around laptop (however light it might be) is enormously tempting.

Heck, first (and only, so far) software purchase my wife did for her iPhone was Documents To Go. She prepares her lectures (or meeting presentations) on her PC, drops them on iPhone and can go through during the day without a need for a laptop. She will mostly read/rehearse from phone, but she can still make a quick change if she notice mistake.
post #188 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I wonder how many Microsoft employees actually own iPhones.

Oh, really... and how many Apple employees have Windows on their machines, or (gasp!) Windows PCs in their households? Maybe couple of Androids and Nokias as well..?

What difference does it make? Those are companies, not sects. People can use whatever works for them.
post #189 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think most people here have a sense of humor and that is why this display is so excruciating. So pitiful. I mean, sure, it takes all kinds, but I think most people, not just AppleInsider folks, would be grateful that their colleagues probably have a little more class and show a little more restraint than these guys. Not that I am against a good party (I am even a pretty tolerant partyer).

But what are you doing here anyway? Shouldn't you be playing with your lightsabre somewhere?

And of course, there's an app for that
post #190 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Can we believe that 90% of the personal computers in the world run an OS that you can't connect to the internet without third party software to keep it sort of safe-ish?

Can you believe that 100% of cars can get you killed if you don't handle them with care?

Yet people drive more than ever. As long as advantages are bigger than disadvantages, people will go for it.

By the way, since you have free MS antivirus and firewall, you don't really need 3rd party software.
post #191 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Only inside SJ's reality distortion field.
post #192 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Microsoft must be going crazy being that far north in Seattle. Maybe it's the rain that put them into a sad mood. I agree with others that this was probably Baldmer's idea.

PS, why not have a funeral for android as well. Or is MS ok with Android being the leader? Leaves someone to copy from I guess.

I love this!
post #193 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmmm... it just appears to me that Microsoft have no professionalism whatsoever. Even when they create a product to compete with a world-class product like iOS, they destroy it with this childish and pathetic show.

*shakes head*

Can we believe that 90% of the personal computers in the world run an OS made by people this pathetic and immature?

Not for long! If anyone thinks Microthudd is going to be viable in 5 years, they belonged in that stupid parade also!
post #194 of 213
Quote:

Who cares about Office support?

Only the businesses sitting on the Microsoft server\\Windows\\Office stack.

There probably aren't very many.
post #195 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Only the businesses sitting on the Microsoft server\\Windows\\Office stack.

There probably aren't very many.

I know the company i work at, like most companies, could care less about office support on a phone. Office is a bloated super expensive POS. We switched to Open Office three years ago and have never looked back, oh and we love all the money we save.

In fact, we are just about ready to kill the last proprietary Microsoft application running on our infrastructure. It has been eye really amazing to see how much money we were pissing away on Microsoft products. Vendor lock in is a terrible place to be.

So like i said, there are a lot of clueless Microsoft drones out there who will push Office integration as a reason to get the crap Windows Phone 7 as that is what the Microsoft salespeople tell them to do.
post #196 of 213
Quote:

I know the company i work at, like most companies, could care less about office support on a phone. Office is a bloated super expensive POS. We switched to Open Office three years ago and have never looked back, oh and we love all the money we save.

In fact, we are just about ready to kill the last proprietary Microsoft application running on our infrastructure. It has been eye really amazing to see how much money we were pissing away on Microsoft products. Vendor lock in is a terrible place to be.

So like i said, there are a lot of clueless Microsoft drones out there who will push Office integration as a reason to get the crap Windows Phone 7 as that is what the Microsoft salespeople tell them to do.

So... like I said, only the businesses sitting on the Microsoft server\\Windows\\Office stack. (My comment about how many there are was obviously tongue-in-cheek. There are quite a few)

I congratulate you on the success of your anti-Microsoft experiment, however I'm surprised you see yourself as some kind of genius and think everyone else is a clueless moron when your experiment has clearly shown that different circumstances call for different solutions.

If someone thinks that Microsoft products (or Apple or Google for that matter) can fit every possible scenario they are just as misguided as someone who thinks the same products can't fit any possible scenario.
post #197 of 213
What a waste of money. $500M could help people instead of going towards a campaign that won't help with a lame product. Fuck Microsoft.
post #198 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk212 View Post

I think Apple fans should try to be more like Steve Wozniak NOT Steve Jobs. Woz has a sense of humor and he would've been in that parade were he an employee.

The thought that Apple fans try to be like SJ just never occurred to me. What and absurd idea. I have nothing against SW, on the contrary. He is clearly some kind of genius and a very colorful character but he is an uber geek and perish the thought that Apple fans should try to be like him. I think you should worry less about who's trying to be who or what and stop your whining. Even if both the Steves were in that parade it would still have been cringeworthy. Its as if it was planned and executed by Dwight Schrute - as has been alluded to in an earlier post. But I guess you find The Office cruel and belittling and not the least bit funny...
post #199 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

What a waste of money. $500M could help people instead of going towards a campaign that won't help with a lame product. Fuck Microsoft.

I'm not sure what kind of twisted world you live in buddy, but the only problem in spending $500 million to see Darth Vader on a motorcycle is that the value of awesomeness is being undervalued.

This is Darth Vader. He is riding a motorcycle. These are facts, and you can't argue with facts.

Check mate!

post #200 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistry View Post

They also did a Thriller dance. This is ridiculous.
Watch the video right to the end (if you can). Balmer appears right at the end
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...iphone-hearses

I'm all for hard-working employees having some fun, but how many hours did they spend rehearsing that dance instead of producing something of value for the company and its customers?

I actually hope Microsoft produces a decent phone or phone OS. Not that I would use it, but competition is good for the marketplace. Apple produces amazing products, and usually gets there first, but there's also a certain amount of arrogance and a history of ignoring customers that needs restraining. The best way to restrain it is with the obvious - another product that impacts the marketplace. We've already seen Apple reacting to the competition in recent announcements concerning pending changes for iPhone developer policies, etc.

As for Microsoft, when is the Board going to recognize that Balmer is not the right person to be running that company? While Microsoft is still one of the largest companies in the world, look at it in terms of its product quality, ability to create new businesses, strategy and overall success and I don't see too many positives, other than Windows 7 finally being an OS that at the very least is not a complete embarrassment. And the next Office version seems like it will be "okay" for those people who still need to use such an application. But when was the last time that Microsoft accomplished something that one could perceive as either a "future of computing" or a new product category?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry