or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry

Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry - Page 2

post #41 of 213
Which is exactly where he's driving MSFT!
$23.65 approaching its Millennium low.

PS: Shucks, do ya think MSFT kinda misses Bill Gates?
post #42 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Celebrating Windows Phone 7's "Release to Manufacturing" status, Microsoft employees held a morbid funeral parade for the iPhone and Blackberry.

The parade through the company's Redmond campus, first reported by NeoWin, included hearses, oversized iPhone and Blackberry coffins, and various Halloween-like costumes.

One truck featured a sign bragging, "Windows Phone 7 OS Platform buries the competition." In doing so, Microsoft takes its place in a long line of products that were billed as "iPhone killers."

Various sources have reported that Windows Phone 7, which went RTM last week, will launch at an October 11 event in New York City, although the first devices wouldn't be available until late October in Europe and November in the U.S.

Microsoft posted a teaser trailer for Windows Phone 7 on YouTube last week, the first in what is expected to be a $500 million marketing campaign for the launch of the mobile OS.

Research firm Gartner predicted Friday that the Windows Phone market share would fall from 8.7 percent in 2009 to just 3.9 percent in 2014. Nokia Symbian and Google Android were placed at first and second with 30.2 percent and 29.6 percent respectively. Apple's iOS was listed in third place with an estimated 14.9 percent market share in 2014.

Source: Flickr user Trioculus

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" - iphone
post #43 of 213
Apple once held a funeral...for their own product...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7xQ8i3fc0
post #44 of 213
delusional putz's
post #45 of 213
The funeral photos will look great in Steve Jobs's next slide show - I can hardly wait!

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #46 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

This could be Microsoft's "Mission Accomplished"

post #47 of 213
Looks like Steve EMBAAMER is practicing for MSFTs own funeral in mobile.
post #48 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I guess this is like when the Zune killed off all the iPod's, and Windows 7 and its predecessors killed off the mac OS, and netbooks killed the iPad and stuff...

Microsoft to Apple, "Smart phones: you're doin' it wrong."

Apple to Microsoft: "How many times will you jump the shark?"
post #49 of 213
This is Microsoft in 2010 ... pathetic beyond pale. There PR department should be fired ... and Ballmer should find a new job. Ridiculous.
post #50 of 213
Microsoft is so over and done. Stick a fork in them.
post #51 of 213
Quote:
Celebrating Windows Phone 7's "Release to Manufacturing" status, Microsoft employees held a morbid funeral parade for the iPhone and Blackberry.

The parade through the company's Redmond campus, first reported by NeoWin, included hearses, oversized iPhone and Blackberry coffins, and various Halloween-like costumes.

One truck featured a sign bragging, "Windows Phone 7 OS Platform buries the competition." In doing so, Microsoft takes its place in a long line of products that were billed as "iPhone killers."

Isn't that a bit premature, if not arrogant?

To paraphrase the famous quote:

"The rumors of the iPhone's death are greatly exaggerated"

post #52 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

This can only end in tears.

Yeah, this stunt is ballsy, I guess Microsoft is getting cocky. And yes, I said ballsy and cocky in the same sentence

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Nice. That image is full of win.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #54 of 213
That's hilarious

You've gotta be yankin' me. No way they really did that.

Oh....There's a...Photo...

Oh my gosh, what the hell? That is the funniest thing I ever heard. What are they putting in the water in Redmond?

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #55 of 213
Kin anyone? MS discontinues Kin six weeks after launch and they have the nerve to do this?
post #56 of 213
wow, where to start. OK, well. Isn't this a little like the embarrassing family member at the family get-together, that acts out uncontrollably and everyone just is embarrassed or tries to humor them? As someone whose has Microsoft certifications, I keep hoping for the best - but I'm not even sure what that is anymore where Redmond is concerned. It's like watching the very slow death of a large bull elephant. In slow motion. In black and white.

I keep hearing about how bad it is on the inside at Redmond, but when things like this crop up - it makes the tales very vivid. You see a lot of this sort of acting out when there is a pervasive sense in the organization that things are not going well. I hope I'm wrong and Microsoft is able to return a real competitor to the mobile market. But then I thought that when

>they introduced Whistler as the "successor" to Win2000 (which became XP, but carried with it the gaping security holes it inherited from it's NT core structure),
>promised Longhorn as the radical bottom-up re-write of the core Windows OS that was to be Vista - but got shelved for taking too long and being hard sell to its legacy base, resulting in a quick refit of the NT kernel that became the disappointment of Vista,
>finally (at least) cleaned-up in Windows 7.
post #57 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

Wow...
post #58 of 213
Let me get this straight: The announcement's not for another month, the release in the US is in November...wouldn't, say, Nov. 15th have been the day to hold a funeral? Now there are two months of jokes that can't be shut up with a good demo even if it's a great phone. And by the time it comes out we'll not only have forgotten about the funeral but the phone as well, and the only thing the rest of the world will remember is the jokes.
post #59 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Wow!

Weirdos..

They just embarrassed themselves with that stunt

right now they just seem like total dorks

if they don't actually 'kill' the iphone et al, they will seem like idiots.
post #60 of 213
Really Mature Microsoft... now thats a way to spend your money!
post #61 of 213
I bet that sometime in a few years, "bragging" will be said "microsofting".
post #62 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

Yea, and this funeral was at least classy, not like the uninspired and very fake MS one. Halloween costumes? and a fake square box?!! WTF!!!
bb
bb
post #63 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

I bet that sometime in a few years, "bragging" will be said "microsofting".

Or MS'ing, kind of like BS'ing.
post #64 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

The word 'hubris' comes to mind.

Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeier View Post

I also foresee a funeral in Windows Phone 7's future. Next of Kin anyone?

Ok, you win best joke in this thread.
post #65 of 213
Pretty ballsy. If it happens, Nostradamus will have to be content with being 2nd.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #66 of 213
How embarrassing. As someone else said, this has Steve Ballmer written all over it.

As much as I'd love to see the competition drive advancements for all the companies, I really can't wait to see the Windows 7 phone come out... and then show itself to be an "also ran".

I despise stunts like this. It's such a high school mentality and should be above that of a multi-billion dollar company. Unfortunately, we are talking Microsoft here. You pretty much expect them to make arses of themselves, especially with Stevie B at the helm.
post #67 of 213
Are you fucking kidding me?

Is this a company, or a group of band nerds who gather everyday near the cafeteria at lunchtime?

Who comes up with this shit? The same assbag who came up with the Windows Store dance routine quagmire?
post #68 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

That photo was probably taken with an iPhone.

Android Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Thats exactly what they did predicting the new halo will outsell Call of Duty Blackops, they are in a roll today!
heheheI

oh...un panameño. it will sell more. te apuesto 100 balboas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmmm... it just appears to me that Microsoft have no professionalism whatsoever. Even when they create a product to compete with a world-class product like iOS, they destroy it with this childish and pathetic show.

*shakes head*

Can we believe that 90% of the personal computers in the world run an OS made by people this pathetic and immature?

Did you remember the skeleton from Cupertino showing every phone manufacturer on the broken iPhone Antena-gate issue ?
What about the misleading, inaccurate and false I'm a Mac...I'm PC ads ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"Microsoft employees held a morbid funeral parade for the iPhone and Blackberry"

The real kiss of death is when you label yourself an iPod/iPhone/iPad killer. The graveyards are full of such products.

Android is taking care of iPhone already. Apple will need to do something drastic if they don't want to be trampled by Android, WP7 and Nokia Symbian-Meego.
post #69 of 213
This just makes it more awarkward when this thing bombs. I already don't like the layout of the home screen looks cheap
post #70 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Android Evo

oh...un panameño. it will sell more. te apuesto 100 balboas!

Did you remember the skeleton from Cupertino showing every phone manufacturer on the broken iPhone Antena-gate issue ?
What about the misleading, inaccurate and false I'm a Mac...I'm PC ads ?

Android is taking care of iPhone already. Apple will need to do something drastic if they don't want to be trampled by Android, WP7 and Nokia Symbian-Meego.

iPhone is Always going go be beat by android they can pump out a number of cheap phones weekly. But working for AT&T I can tell you once s customer uses a iPhone they are hooked android is just a mismatch of skins and apps iv dealt with so Many issuses already
post #71 of 213
They all have the competition's smartphone in their pockets--
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #72 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

That little stunt has Ballmer written all over it.

Yes. Never met him but I have met egomaniacs like him. This is exactly what a self obsessed lunatic would do. It's also not very decorous for a major company to do. Nobody in corporate America has the leeway to do shit like this except members of the old boy's club.

S Jobs is usually classy enough never to respond to, or be seen with, the useless Ballmer.
post #73 of 213
I see Balmer doing a throwback in the coming weeks:

Mobile Developers!
Mobile Developers!!
Mobile Developers!!!

Mobile Developers!
Mobile Developers!!
Mobile Developers!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE
post #74 of 213
Do you really think you're on par with the other established mobile software giants when your OS doesn't even have a Copy & Paste function, multitasking, or an extensive library of apps?

Wake up, Microsoft...
post #75 of 213
I wonder if many other people like myself looked at those images of men with black placards showing the Windows emblem, and wondered if they had seen it before - in pictures from the 30's... The German National Party? The swastika?
post #76 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

This has to be a new low. \

Yeah - unbelievable. Just fucking embarrassing
post #77 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peleas View Post

Do you really think you're on par with the other established mobile software giants when your OS doesn't even have a Copy & Paste function, multitasking, or an extensive library of apps?

Wake up, Microsoft...

They can't control the app library issue; no one can properly develop apps for a platform that isn't live, yet. That said, the other stuff you mention is a problem, and I figure that the platform will be a failure in the consumer space, at least initially.

If Microsoft had done a quick-and-dirty update of the Danger OS to create Kin, then that might have given them more time to get multitasking and cut/copy/paste into the first version of the WinPhone7 OS. But they're Microsoft; they've had a recent history of bungling first-generation products of all kinds. Heck, it took two generations of Vista to finally get that OS right, and that was of an entrenched product. (I wonder what would have happened if Windows didn't exist until recently, and some other OS -- perhaps Mac OS -- was the de facto OS. Would Windows have eventually been cancelled like Kin?)

However, it's a bad idea to count WinPhone7 out, if only because of its enterprise features. It's quite possible that businesses choose this platform en masse because of its Office integration. Apple and Google, start your photocopiers...

(I wonder how quickly Microsoft figures out it needs a tablet version of WinPhone7?)
post #78 of 213
What's all this hubris from this continually outclassed and hopelessly mismanaged company? These clowns can barely get their core business right, LOL.

Oh wait, it's par for the course:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/blogs/inde...d=136&blogid=8
post #79 of 213
What's wrong with this picture? Who in their right mind would choose to promote their new wham bang advanced smart phone software in this way?

post #80 of 213
Will someone please tell Ballmer that:

Fewer PR Stunts + Better Developers+ Better Company Vision =$$$
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft employees hold funeral parade for iPhone, Blackberry