or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
New evidence suggests that Target's U.S. stores may start offering the iPad on October 3, expanding the retail presence of Apple's touchscreen tablet.

A source with the retailer provided evidence to Engadget that Target is set to launch an unnamed product on Oct 3. The product will be available at six price points -- the same prices of the iPad, ranging from $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model, to $829 for the 64GB model with 3G.

In addition, pictures from a Target PDA show that the new device set to go on sale in October will be located in the "Digital Audio" department. That's the same department that sells Apple's line of iPods, as well as the Amazon Kindle e-reader.

"Smoking gun?" author Donald Melanson wrote. "Not exactly, but it's certainly enough to get us to keep our eye on this one."

Earlier this year, before the iPad launched, Apple executives indicated that the iPad would only be available at a limited number of locations with assisted sales, including premium resellers and electronics retailer Best Buy. Apple's chief operating officer, Tim Cook, said that brick-and-mortar availability of the iPad would expand "over time."

Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.



But expansion of the iPad to new retail locations did not occur initially, as strong sales left stores with limited inventory. However, recently, iPad shipping times on Apple's website improved to 24 hours, suggesting that production problems that contributed to limited availability have been resolved.
post #2 of 59
I'll stick with Walmart, thanks.
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.


Now that Apple is targeting the great unwashed masses, Wal*Mart and Target make a lot of sense for its products.
post #4 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, recently, iPad shipping times on Apple's website improved to 24 hours, suggesting that production problems that contributed to limited availability have been resolved.

...or that sales have dropped off a cliff!

.

JK JK JK
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #5 of 59
That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.
post #6 of 59
Wonder if this squashes the rumor that Apple will have camera- quipped ipads before the holidays? It seems there is no way target gets a gen 1 device in Oct with the gen 2 device rumored in Nov.
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

Wonder if this squashes the rumor that Apple will have camera- quipped ipads before the holidays? It seems there is no way target gets a gen 1 device in Oct with the gen 2 device rumored in Nov.

How the heck was that a "rumor", anyway? What would many anyone think that Apple would possibly release a new one?

April 2011.

One update a year.

JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #8 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How the heck was that a "rumor", anyway? What would many anyone think that Apple would possibly release a new one?

April 2011.

One update a year.

JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.

Once a year is waay too long for an update... Better happen in November with iOS 4.0.
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

Wonder if this squashes the rumor that Apple will have camera- quipped ipads before the holidays? It seems there is no way target gets a gen 1 device in Oct with the gen 2 device rumored in Nov.

Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned there was a snowball's chance in hell that Apple was going to release a revised version of the Ipad, or a 7" model before the holidays. Same goes with early Q1, 2011. The suggestion alone is ridiculous when time and time again we see Apple following through with the One-model-a-year refresh.

As for Ipad at Target, why not? Makes perfect sense. I'm sure those invested in Apple stock are plenty happy with this news.
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

...or that sales have dropped off a cliff!

.

JK JK JK

You will know when sales drop off a cliff. Simply notice when Pages, Numbers, and Keynote all drop from the top 10. That will mean that the rate of new iPad purchases has slowed. Give it some thought and you'll figure out my assertion fairly quickly
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

You will know when sales drop off a cliff. Simply notice when Pages, Numbers, and Keynote all drop from the top 10. That will mean that the rate of new iPad purchases has slowed. Give it some thought and you'll figure out my assertion fairly quickly


Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.

What's the air like, up in that geo-stationary tower?
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...

Are you suggesting that Apple would forge the top ten list by artificially increasing the rating of their own products. That's plain blasphemy - burn him he's a witch.
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.

Very snobbish of you.
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.

Mods, please ban this troll. Seriously, they've never contributed anything intelligent or meaningful to any of these discussions.
post #16 of 59
I suspect if you plan on giving one of these for Christmas, you should look to order it now. I can see this being the killer gift this year.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I suspect if you plan on giving one of these for Christmas, you should look to order it now. I can see this being the killer gift this year.

Good call. That's what I would recommend as well (trolls notwithstanding).
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I suspect if you plan on giving one of these for Christmas, you should look to order it now. I can see this being the killer gift this year.

Agreed, I can foresee a shortage for Santa's sac. I better tip off the wife now as I want a new one. I had to return the one I had to a client when I finished his project. I kind of miss it.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil;

How the heck was that a "rumor", anyway? What would many anyone think that Apple would possibly release a new one?

April 2011.

One update a year.

JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.

I smell the vitriol and maybe in another life I might synpathise... it really must be hard work trolling all the time. I hope you all are getting paid for it.
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Mods, please ban this troll. Seriously, they've never contributed anything intelligent or meaningful to any of these discussions.

Negative things are said here all the time, they just don't know how to frame their statements in at least a semi-coherent fashion.
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K.;

Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...

Irrelevant. The iPhone4 and iPad is still heavily anticipated outside the luxurious bubble of the 10 or so countries that have been launched. Remember, 24hours simply means supply-demand balance in the countries that have launched, but by the end of the year with the holiday season, Apple simply has to produce 3 million iPads and 4 million iPhone4 a month to be able to launch iPhone4 and iPad in over 70 countries. End of story. In the US Apple could sell all the iOS devices in Starbucks for WTF it's worth... But it is still not as relevant as the global reality. Remember, even China and India has no sign of official launches of iPhone4 and iPad... Let alone much of Asia, Latin America, Scandinavia...
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I smell the vitriol and maybe in another life I might synpathise... it really must be hard work trolling all the time. I hope you all are getting paid for it.

Seriously, the amount of time that these people spend absorbed in negativity and some weird bitterness is truly a pathetic and laughable thing to observe. Like you say, I do hope that they're getting paid for their efforts.
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Mods, please ban this troll. Seriously, they've never contributed anything intelligent or meaningful to any of these discussions.

I believe mods keep them for an entertainment reason.

Back to topic. I'm scheduled to pick up the new Touch on Thursday (my first Apple product hey hey), yet no IP4 or iPad to be seen. Couldn't wait for them any longer.
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Mods, please ban this troll. Seriously, they've never contributed anything intelligent or meaningful to any of these discussions.

+1 I agree ban Blackintosh!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
post #25 of 59
That's an interesting place to sell iPads. I'd guess that fits in with selling iPods and iPhones which I don't recall them selling but maybe they do. Talk about going mainstream with the product. Apple must think everyone, from little Toby to Grandma Jones, will be able to afford one and use it on a daily basis. They need to drop the price $200 dollars if that's the case.
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Once a year is waay too long for an update... Better happen in November with iOS 4.0.

No way. Why didn't you think the 3g didn't offer video? Except jailbroken?? Apple wants to get as much money as they can so they can sell the newer product to the exact same people, over and over. eBay buy now best place for iMacs csaw a i3 21.5 for $800 there. This guy like many, want more power, are dumping the mbp and are buying the ipad for there at home mobile unit. Plus if your phones jail broken, you can jump online any time with products like pdanet.
Peace.
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

...or that sales have dropped off a cliff!

.

JK JK JK


Not very probable. Etc most european countrys like Finland and Sweden are still waiting for the launch !!!
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's an interesting place to sell iPads. I'd guess that fits in with selling iPods and iPhones which I don't recall them selling but maybe they do. Talk about going mainstream with the product. Apple must think everyone, from little Toby to Grandma Jones, will be able to afford one and use it on a daily basis. They need to drop the price $200 dollars if that's the case.

Apple can't make iPads fast enough to meet demand now, so why should they even consider dropping the price at all?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Apple can't make iPads fast enough to meet demand now, so why should they even consider dropping the price at all?

I think the suggestion here is that if the lead time to ship an order is only 24 hours - that the demand via existing channels is nearing saturation and that in order to maintain the supply-demand ratio that drives the current price - more locations are needed to reach more customers and increase the demand end of the equation to keep pace with the supply.

Whether that increase in available locations means more places to buy in countries where it is already available or adding more countries or both remains to be seen.

In regards to revisions - it is perfectly reasonable to think that the existing hardware - with no changes whatsoever - will continue as is - at the current price points - will continue until all channels and countries have product shipping and until such time as a saturation of all those is near.

The big questions are along the lines of - was there a preset quantity from the very beginning that needs to be sold before the next rev of hardware will be made - or a specific target date (a year out from the original perhaps) - or, perhaps the most likely, a second rev well into development - with relatively small changes which would not significantly affect the supply chain or production line - and which is just waiting for the other parameters to line up (saturation, channels, countries, supply-demand, etc) to be announced.

Product development and testing does take time - and every company is in business to make money - so if it appears that Apple is planning its product releases to make the maximum profit from each one, what is wrong with that? Some folks here make it sound like Apple is secretly plotting to artificially restrict features from a product that they know you want specifically to push you into buying the current, not quite feature complete, product, knowing that when they announce the feature complete product you will be compelled to buy it also. I doubt that very much. More likely is that they are restricting certain features - some of which they know you want and some of which you don't even know you want because they don't exist yet - until the hardware and software etc are up the standards that you expect as a user of Apple products.

Which is not to say that they have never stumbled or missed the mark - but for a company that must be concerned about its bottom line and profit margin to survive - to spend so much time and energy and effort etc to ensure that you get the best possible user experience - which translates into the product loyalty that many have - is remarkable.

On the flip side - what other technology company's products retain such a high resale value on the used market? Even broken iPhones which either do not power on or have smashed screens are selling on eBay for $100.
post #30 of 59
I really do not think this is a good concept because Apple is lowering their name in starting to distribute their products in target stores. Apple should stick to their resellers who have good knowledge about Apple products.Pretty soon walmart will start to sell Apple products and the name will go to schlock.Poor merchandising on Apple's part.ga
post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Are you suggesting that Apple would forge the top ten list by artificially increasing the rating of their own products. That's plain blasphemy - burn him he's a witch.

It would also be illegal.
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed, I can foresee a shortage for Santa's sac. I better tip off the wife now as I want a new one. I had to return the one I had to a client when I finished his project. I kind of miss it.

It's why, for the first time ever, I stood in line to buy the 3G version the first day it came out.

Good thing too.
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Negative things are said here all the time, they just don't know how to frame their statements in at least a semi-coherent fashion.

Except that a lot of these guys do it deliberately. Their lives are made whole by attempting to get others upset. It's sad, more than anything else.
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I believe mods keep them for an entertainment reason.

Have you considered that the more messages that get posted here, the more AI can charge for advertisements?
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Some folks here make it sound like Apple is secretly plotting to artificially restrict features from a product that they know you want specifically to push you into buying the current, not quite feature complete, product, knowing that when they announce the feature complete product you will be compelled to buy it also. I doubt that very much. More likely is that they are restricting certain features - some of which they know you want and some of which you don't even know you want because they don't exist yet - until the hardware and software etc are up the standards that you expect as a user of Apple products.


I don't believe that. Apple products contain many half-baked features.

On the iPhone alone, the Voice Command hardly ever works. The Compass, important for maps, is lousy. And don't get me started on Finder or Springboard.

Apple routinely includes half-baked crap. Avoiding the half-baked is NOT a reasonable guess for why Apple neglects to include important features on its products.
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's an interesting place to sell iPads. I'd guess that fits in with selling iPods and iPhones which I don't recall them selling but maybe they do. Talk about going mainstream with the product. Apple must think everyone, from little Toby to Grandma Jones, will be able to afford one and use it on a daily basis. They need to drop the price $200 dollars if that's the case.

I don't think that's it. Macs require a sales person to show customers around the Mac hardware and software because it's different enough from a PC. But the phones, iPods and iPads are pretty much self evident. They can be sold everywhere.

I keep mine out, and when friends come over, they pick it up and start playing with it. It's connected to my WiFi network, so they use it to look things up when we have discussions. The same thing is true with my daughter's friends. It's used to settle arguments, look at items being watched or bidded on in ebay, amd lots of other things. I've had a bunch of people buy one after using it at my house a couple of times.

So yes, target is a fine place for Apple to be buying these things, even without a price drop. It's really not that expensive now, though I do think we'll see a $50 price drop across the line at some point. You can't just drop the price of an item that costs a certain price to produce. Other tablets will be cheaper if they use plastic sprayed to look like metal, like they did with the JooJoo (remember that iPad killer?). Other tablets again like the JooJoo, will use a cheaper TN screen. So those cheap tablets will sell for less. But reviews will point out that they are cheaper, and not as good. Some people will buy them, but many won't. Apple couldn't get those customers anyway, as they want a product that's too cheap for Apple to produce, and I agree with them that they shouldn't.

We're seeing Samsung coming out with the Galaxy 7" tablet, that's going to sell for considerably MORE than the iPad overseas without a two year contract. Even here, it will sell for perhaps as much as $300 with a two year contract. Truthfully, how many people who now have smartphones, the main customer base for such a product, will want to have another two year data contract? I don't think too many.
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Pretty soon walmart will start to sell Apple products and the name will go to schlock.


But Mall*Wart already sells Apple products!

So is it your opinion that Apple's name has already gone to schlock?
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I believe mods keep them for an entertainment reason.

No we don't, really. It's just a fine line between a troll, and someone who doesn't understand that what they're doing is similar. Sometimes those people begin to understand, and become good citizens. The rest eventually go away, or are banned if they go too far.
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

I really do not think this is a good concept because Apple is lowering their name in starting to distribute their products in target stores. Apple should stick to their resellers who have good knowledge about Apple products.Pretty soon walmart will start to sell Apple products and the name will go to schlock.Poor merchandising on Apple's part.ga

Walmart has been selling Apple products for years, and Apple's brand hasn't been diluted. In fact, the value of Apple's brand has been going up over the years. It's now rated as being one of the worlds more valuable. Selling a product in Target, as they now do with iPods, is a good idea, as people who are on the fence about buying one, but need to handle it first, which is only fair for such a different product from what they are used to, can't often get to an Apple store, or a Best Buy. This widens the areas in which people can actually see and handle the products, which is how Apple sells them. Often once they are used for a few minutes, people decide to buy them.
post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S.

LOL...this is like saying, "the ocean, the largest body of water in the world..."

...goes without saying, yes?
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3