or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3

Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3 - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Walmart has been selling Apple products for years, and Apple's brand hasn't been diluted. In fact, the value of Apple's brand has been going up over the years. It's now rated as being one of the worlds more valuable. Selling a product in Target, as they now do with iPods, is a good idea, as people who are on the fence about buying one, but need to handle it first, which is only fair for such a different product from what they are used to, can't often get to an Apple store, or a Best Buy. This widens the areas in which people can actually see and handle the products, which is how Apple sells them. Often once they are used for a few minutes, people decide to buy them.

Exactly. I live nearly an hour from the nearest Apple Store, but I'm only twenty minutes away from two Target stores. In terms of brand protection, Apple is better off with Target than Wal-Mart. For reasons that I don't entirely understand, Target is considered to be upscale compared to the other mass-market retailers.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Now that Apple is targeting the great unwashed masses, Wal*Mart and Target make a lot of sense for its products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

...or that sales have dropped off a cliff!

JK JK JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.

We really do get the lamest trolls here. It's especially amusing how obsessed they are, waiting with bated breath to pounce on every new discussion thread, apparently with nothing else in their lives.
post #43 of 59
Quote:

Walmart has been selling Apple products for years, and Apple's brand hasn't been diluted. In fact, the value of Apple's brand has been going up over the years. It's now rated as being one of the worlds more valuable. Selling a product in Target, as they now do with iPods, is a good idea, as people who are on the fence about buying one, but need to handle it first, which is only fair for such a different product from what they are used to, can't often get to an Apple store, or a Best Buy. This widens the areas in which people can actually see and handle the products, which is how Apple sells them. Often once they are used for a few minutes, people decide to buy them.

This is great news for me because I happen to be a Walmart employee and hence have a discount. If Walmart already offers the iPod and the iPhone, why not the iPad. The iPad is not a niche product, it's Apple's response to the netbook and hence fits in at the low end of the computer pricing scheme.

There is a misconception that Apple's stuff is pricey and not intended for a broader audience. Bull. Apple's products are premium, as far as popular electronics go, but that doesn't mean it's all excessively priced. Apple aims for affordable quality. Fact is, the iPad is meant to bring on something of a revolution and what's a revolution without the people? If Apple wants to sell this product by the millions, then they'll market it like the iPod line of products. Why wouldn't Apple do that? It's not like Jobs and his cohorts have something against making boatloads of cash.

The only way Apple would nix the iPad being sold all over would be if the pricing was compromised but since this is a high-demand product, no retailer will refuse to sell the product at a price point of Apple's choosing.

By the way, regarding when an update will take place, Apple's not going to bring one out in time for the holidays but I doubt Apple will wait until April to do it, either. Expect a new model to hit the streets around the time that most competitors start flooding the market with their likely inferior alternatives. What Apple does not want is to release a new version now, giving competitors a higher standard to aspire to. Let them try to take on the current iPad and then early next year raise the bar on them after they have revealed what their initial tablets will look like.
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Exactly. I live nearly an hour from the nearest Apple Store, but I'm only twenty minutes away from two Target stores. In terms of brand protection, Apple is better off with Target than Wal-Mart. For reasons that I don't entirely understand, Target is considered to be upscale compared to the other mass-market retailers.

Taret is considered to be "cooler" than Walmart is, that's for sure, except out in rural areas where Walmart is about the only place to go.
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

This is great news for me because I happen to be a Walmart employee and hence have a discount. If Walmart already offers the iPod and the iPhone, why not the iPad. The iPad is not a niche product, it's Apple's response to the netbook and hence fits in at the low end of the computer pricing scheme.

There is a misconception that Apple's stuff is pricey and not intended for a broader audience. Bull. Apple's products are premium, as far as popular electronics go, but that doesn't mean it's all excessively priced. Apple aims for affordable quality. Fact is, the iPad is meant to bring on something of a revolution and what's a revolution without the people? If Apple wants to sell this product by the millions, then they'll market it like the iPod line of products. Why wouldn't Apple do that? It's not like Jobs and his cohorts have something against making boatloads of cash.

The only way Apple would nix the iPad being sold all over would be if the pricing was compromised but since this is a high-demand product, no retailer will refuse to sell the product at a price point of Apple's choosing.

By the way, regarding when an update will take place, Apple's not going to bring one out in time for the holidays but I doubt Apple will wait until April to do it, either. Expect a new model to hit the streets around the time that most competitors start flooding the market with their likely inferior alternatives. What Apple does not want is to release a new version now, giving competitors a higher standard to aspire to. Let them try to take on the current iPad and then early next year raise the bar on them after they have revealed what their initial tablets will look like.

I guess you read it, Walmart is angling to sell the iPad, and likely as soon as they and Apple finish negotiating a deal, they will.
post #46 of 59
Quote:

Taret is considered to be "cooler" than Walmart is, that's for sure, except out in rural areas where Walmart is about the only place to go.

Even Sears is cooler than Wal-Mart, so that's not saying much. I suppose it goes back to hiring Robert Graves to design some of their products. It's amazing how much mileage they've gotten out of that one. I know people who happily shop at Target but wouldn't be caught dead in any of the other mass market retailers.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #47 of 59
Quote:

Even Sears is cooler than Wal-Mart, so that's not saying much. I suppose it goes back to hiring Robert Graves to design some of their products. It's amazing how much mileage they've gotten out of that one. I know people who happily shop at Target but wouldn't be caught dead in any of the other mass market retailers.

But Walmart is still the biggest by far. All the others put together don't equal Walmart's sales. That's neither good nor bad, it just is.

Apple has to pursue sales wherever it can. Being too exclusive hurt them too much over the years. Of course, Apple's stores don't exactly hurt. But it will be years yet before there are enough of them. And still, there will be hoards of people who won't go to one but would rather buy where they buy most of their other stuff.
post #48 of 59
Quote:

But Walmart is still the biggest by far. All the others put together don't equal Walmart's sales. That's neither good nor bad, it just is.

Apple has to pursue sales wherever it can. Being too exclusive hurt them too much over the years. Of course, Apple's stores don't exactly hurt. But it will be years yet before there are enough of them. And still, there will be hoards of people who won't go to one but would rather buy where they buy most of their other stuff.

I think the mix of Apple Store and mass-market is just about right currently, selling iPhones and iPods at the mass marketers and Macs mainly through their own stores, where they can be demonstrated and maintained properly. You may remember this was the problem when Apple was trying to sell Macs in retailers like Sears. If they do start to sell the iPad at either Target or Wal-Mart, it's got to be seen as Apple venturing carefully into new territory, into a retail environment that has not worked well for them historically. Just look at their on again/off again relationship with Best Buy.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #49 of 59
Quote:

I think the mix of Apple Store and mass-market is just about right currently, selling iPhones and iPods at the mass marketers and Macs mainly through their own stores, where they can be demonstrated and maintained properly. You may remember this was the problem when Apple was trying to sell Macs in retailers like Sears. If they do start to sell the iPad at either Target or Wal-Mart, it's got to be seen as Apple venturing carefully into new territory, into a retail environment that has not worked well for them historically. Just look at their on again/off again relationship with Best Buy.

It wasn't just a problem with Sears. Do you remember "The Wiz". We had several here, and they sold Macs. There was a small display of two, sometimes three computers, not always working. No one in the stores knew or cared.

I think today it would be different. Apple is THE hot brand. Everyone wants to carry Apple stuff.
post #50 of 59
I really hope Target does get Apple's iPad. Target is just a few minutes away from my house, compare to a few miles away from a Apple's store.
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I really hope Target does get Apple's iPad. Target is just a few minutes away from my house, compare to a few miles away from a Apple's store.

Guys like you are reasons why they're doing it.
post #52 of 59
Quote:

It wasn't just a problem with Sears. Do you remember "The Wiz". We had several here, and they sold Macs. There was a small display of two, sometimes three computers, not always working. No one in the stores knew or cared.

I think today it would be different. Apple is THE hot brand. Everyone wants to carry Apple stuff.

We never had those stores around here, but we did have Circuit City and CompUSA. At the former, the Macs on display rarely operated and when they did, the mouse was on a carpeted shelf so it could not be used. The help was helpless -- it seemed they were being paid not to help. Granted, Apple is in a much better retail position than they were even five years ago, but one of the reasons they are is because they took control of their retail presence. I suspect they're going to dip into this pool one toe at a time.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #53 of 59
Quote:

Now that Apple is targeting the great unwashed masses, Wal*Mart and Target make a lot of sense for its products.

When was Apple ever not targeting the masses, unwashed or otherwise?
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...

Why your observation is just brilliant! Trust is cheap and all the successful companies know that the path to profit is shortened by routinely violating trust in doing petty things like forging top ten lists.

It's so brilliant it's a wonder Google hasn't copied it yet! You should call yourself an analyst - you could make a mint with such sage observations.
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Very snobbish of you.

No, that's Apple users.

Er, wait...
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

So they can sell the newer product to the exact same people, over and over.

You are so right! All these other manufactures relase perfect products from day one. It's only those money grubbing bastards at Apple that purposely hold features back and release them incrementally over time. I bet the whole Mac was a scam - they could have released the perfect phone/iPad/notebook/desktop all in one computer years ago but they broke it out into multiple products just to gouge us!

But were onto their schemes!
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I think the suggestion here is that if the lead time to ship an order is only 24 hours - that the demand via existing channels is nearing saturation and that in order to maintain the supply-demand ratio that drives the current price - more locations are needed to reach more customers and increase the demand end of the equation to keep pace with the supply.

I think that people who are prone to making deep assumptions from singular datapoints should keep their day job and leave fortune telling to the professional scam artists (or analysts - take your pick)
post #58 of 59
Bought one at Fry's on Monday. They just started selling them too!
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Once a year is waay too long for an update... Better happen in November with iOS 4.0.

Uh, why? Anything on which this is based other than you didn't get the original at launch, can't find one in stores now, and therefore are whining about a new model that would magically be more available to you?

Quote:

I don't believe that. Apple products contain many half-baked features.

On the iPhone alone, the Voice Command hardly ever works. The Compass, important for maps, is lousy. And don't get me started on Finder or Springboard..

Voice Commands work perfectly on my iPad, and so does the compass. While I don't understand what you find wrong with the Finder and Springboard, I sympathize that Apple does include features that aren't fully realized. Those just aren't in that list.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3