or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › End of Apple's iPhone 4 Case Program seen as benefit to shareholders

End of Apple's iPhone 4 Case Program seen as benefit to shareholders

post #1 of 69
Apple's conclusion of the iPhone 4 Case Program, but extended offer of free protective Bumpers for customers who contact AppleCare, is a positive for customers that will also likely benefit AAPL shareholders, one analyst believes.

In a note to investors Monday, Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. said Apple's announcement last week that it would end the iPhone 4 Case Program is a positive for both customers, who can still receive a free bumper, as well as shareholders.

"As a good gesture, AAPL will continue to offer a free bumper case through AppleCare for those who still want one," Wu wrote. "We believe these moves make a lot of sense for both customers and shareholders. The reason is that AAPL will continue to offer free cases to those who want one even though data points continue to indicate that only a small faction of users experience antenna reception issues."

In addition, he said the $175 million set aside for the iPhone 4 Case Program could actually be accretive, and add between 25 cents and 45 cents to Apple's 2011 earnings per share. He noted the $175 million set aside isn't a lot for a company with $45.8 billion in cash.

"The reason for potential accretion is because in its accounting, AAPL already takes a reserve for warranties on every product it sells including iPhones and the elimination of additional reserves is additive," he wrote.

Last Friday, Apple revealed that the iPhone 4 case program will conclude on Sept. 30. That deadline was originally given when the program was announced in July, but Apple said at the time it would reevaluate the program.

In that evaluation, Apple said it found that the issue of antenna attenuation with the iPhone 4 was "smaller" than they had originally thought. "A small percentage of iPhone 4 users need a case," it said.

The company will still provide free bumpers to customers who contact AppleCare, but they will no longer be able to request third party cases as they could through the iPhone 4 Case Program software on the App Store. The program offered cases from manufacturers including Griffin, Belkin and Speck.

Wu originally predicted that Apple would give away free bumpers in June, when he said such a move would have little financial impact on the company.

Apple initiated the giveaway after complaints about loss of signal when improperly holding the iPhone 4 gained a considerable amount of media attention. Apple responded by stating that all smartphones experience some form of attenuation when held in a certain way.
post #2 of 69
Funny how no one mentioned the reception problem after the free bumpers were announced. Non problem from beginning.
post #3 of 69
I can't believe the attitude of this company. After burying their head in the sand for weeks, they finally address the cries of the Apple community with a press conference. Then Lord Jobs comes out on stage with the most arrogant and unfeeling apology in the history of apologies and grudgingly agree to give out free cases. Now they want to pull the plug on the case program and leave their customers twisting in the wind.

I think this might actually top the big F-you Steve O gave original iPhone customers when he dropped the price of the phone by two hundred bucks. Then he grudgingly gave everyone a hundred buck gift card usable only at the Apple store.

Said it before and will say it again. This guy really has lost his mind. Must be his medication.
post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Funny how no one mentioned the reception problem after the free bumpers were announced. Non problem from beginning.

Just because it didn't happen to you or me doesn't mean it didn't happen to anyone else on the planet. It's a big world. Drop the arrogance.
post #5 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Just because it didn't happen to you or me doesn't mean it didn't happen to anyone else on the planet. It's a big world. Drop the arrogance.

I think it's fair to say that Apple cocked up, but having said that the problem was blown completely out of proportion.

As long as they keep supplying free bumpers anyone who has the problem can no longer really complain, it's not ideal and I'm sure that the iPhone 5 wont have this type of problem.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #6 of 69
There was never an actual need for one in the first place.

But I'm not complaining, I got a gorgeous InCase Snap (clear) case for free.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl59630/1
post #7 of 69
Quote:

I can't believe the attitude of this company. After burying their head in the sand for weeks, they finally address the cries of the Apple community with a press conference. Then Lord Jobs comes out on stage with the most arrogant and unfeeling apology in the history of apologies and grudgingly agree to give out free cases. Now they want to pull the plug on the case program and leave their customers twisting in the wind.

I think this might actually top the big F-you Steve O gave original iPhone customers when he dropped the price of the phone by two hundred bucks. Then he grudgingly gave everyone a hundred buck gift card usable only at the Apple store.

Said it before and will say it again. This guy really has lost his mind. Must be his medication.

I guess whatever makes you feel better..

You've been saying the same thing over and over and we've been hearing it over and over. You've made your feelings about Apple and Jobs perfectly clear.
post #8 of 69
Quote:

You're still getting an iPhone, "arrogant" Apple or not. Even an iPhone with reception problems (hypothetically) is still better than a perfectly-functioning knock-of pushed out and pinched off by the competition.

And there was no real problem in the first place. The REAL problem were the imbeciles, astroturfers and the FUD-purveyors getting a little too-much anti-Apple stage time. Apple's mindshare is usually so rock-solid that even the best efforts of the perpetually misguided and outclassed roll off Apple like rain, but this time they got a few shots in. Of course, given what the iPhone and iDevices bring to the table, Apple's next quarterly report will continue to tell the same positive story as usual.
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There was never an actual need for one in the first place.

But I'm not complaining, I got a gorgeous InCase Snap (clear) case for free.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl59630/1

Never a need? All the complaints were false? Every single one?

Well, as a shareholder this outrages me. And as far as you're concerned you had better fork over thirty bucks for that case you got.

Fanboys. Arrogance with a touch of madness.
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I guess whatever makes you feel better..

You've been saying the same thing over and over and we've been hearing it over and over. You've made your feelings about Apple and Jobs perfectly clear.

Okay fine. I'm a broken record. But if Apple does something new that is stupid, I think it "opens the door" for me to say it all over again. Can't wait for tomorrow.

You know, it would be nice for both of us, nay all of us, if Apple would do something to please it's customers, instead of making them (the normal ones) shake their heads and think, "what the hell are you doing??"
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And there was no real problem in the first place. The REAL problem were the imbeciles, astroturfers and the FUD-purveyors getting a little too-much anti-Apple stage time. Apple's mindshare is usually so rock-solid that even the best efforts of the perpetually misguided and outclassed roll off Apple like rain, but this time they got a few shots in. Of course, given what the iPhone and iDevices bring to the table, Apple's next quarterly report will continue to tell the same positive story as usual.

Apple's mindshare? Let me tell you about Apple's mindshare. I hear about it all the time because I use Apple products at work. In fact I'm referred to as Mr. Apple and used to be quite the cheerleader for them.

Most of the world considers Apple to be "that company that makes iPods." Most don't even know that Apple makes computers because Windows dominates the earth. Moreover, Apple fans are considered just that. Fans. The word fan is short for fanatic. They think of us like Trekkers, or Twilight-ers or whatever is hip right now. Geeky Kool Aid drinking fanboys.

That is Apple's mindshare if you look just about anywhere but this forum. There is an entire world out there you know. Try living in it.
post #12 of 69
Quote:

Okay fine. I'm a broken record. But if Apple does something new that is stupid, I think it "opens the door" for me to say it all over again. Can't wait for tomorrow.

You know, it would be nice for both of us, nay all of us, if Apple would do something to please it's customers, instead of making them (the normal ones) shake their heads and think, "what the hell are you doing??"

If this *new* thing is using the frame as the antenna, then it being *stupid* would mean the next iPhone will go back to using a separate antenna system for the device with the frame being created by plastic or some other non-conductive material.

Well see what happens by September 30th since that is when this program ends, but since Apple stated that the issue was much smaller than they originally thought which implies that it was blown out of proportion by the media I have to think that we will not see a new iPhone design come the first of October.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 69
Quote:

Chill. What's with all the hostility? This really was a big over-blown media-hyped turd. Everyone I know who got one of these cases got one of the cases because Apple offered them, not because they needed them. Most turned right around and took the thing off their iPhone anyway. I got a bumper myself and used it only for a few days.

Apple really doesn't need to continue this program.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If this *new* thing is using the frame as the antenna, then it being *stupid* would mean the next iPhone will go back to using a separate antenna system for the device with the frame being created by plastic or some other non-conductive material.

Well see what happens by September 30th since that is when this program ends, but since Apple stated that the issue was much smaller than they originally thought which implies that it was blown out of proportion by the media I have to think that we will not see a new iPhone design come the first of October.

I was not referring to the antenna as the new thing, I was referring to the cancellation of the case program which just happened this weekend.

As far as a new design, it should happen but I agree it wont. The case program should have been followed up by a product recall. That was the right thing to do. And if they really want to improve reception, may I suggest opening the phone up to other carriers that have good reception? I wont mention any names.
post #15 of 69
Quote:

I was not referring to the antenna as the new thing, I was referring to the cancellation of the case program which just happened this weekend.

As far as a new design, it should happen but I agree it wont. The case program should have been followed up by a product recall. That was the right thing to do. And if they really want to improve reception, may I suggest opening the phone up to other carriers that have good reception? I wont mention any names.

1) You dont understand what product recalls are for to make such a suggestion.

2) You dont understand how cellular technology works if you think that making the phone open will magically make it work on other US carriers. T-Mobile USAs EDGE is the only MNO that youll get service from.
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Chill. What's with all the hostility? This really was a big over-blown media-hyped turd. Everyone I know who got one of these cases got one of the cases because Apple offered them, not because they needed them. Most turned right around and took the thing off their iPhone anyway. I got a bumper myself and used it only for a few days.

Apple really doesn't need to continue this program.

The hostility is a knee jerk reaction to a common habit on this forum. Whenever there is a problem with an Apple product, the fanboys rush out to be first in line to say "I never have that problem. Ergo no one in the whole world has that problem." You said as much in your post just now.

I find this frustrating and rather worthless to those who need real solutions to problems. It's like admitting you have a problem with an Apple product means your weak or something and everyone here jumps on that. "I never have that problem so there must be something wrong with YOU."

I never drop a call, never have a yellow monitor, never see my own reflection in a glossy screen, never wanted to visit a flash website, etc etc.

The antenna issue was a real problem for some. Listen to the MacWorld podcast. Listen to a Mac Roundtable podcast. These people are fanboys just like you and have no reason to lie.

Just admit the problem was real to SOME people and I will chill.
post #17 of 69
Quote:

Just admit the problem was real to SOME people and I will chill.

So a problem for SOME means that a product recall of all iPhone 4s should have taken place. Awesome logic!
post #18 of 69
Quote:

1) You dont understand what product recalls are for to make such a suggestion.

2) You dont understand how cellular technology works if you think that making the phone open will magically make it work on other US carriers. T-Mobile USAs EDGE is the only MNO that youll get service from.

1: The product recall was MacWorld's idea. So I guess they don't understand either. Only you do.

2: I understand enough about cellular technology to understand no carrier is everywhere and the best shot people have to get a signal is to use the carrier that is strongest where they live.

Can you see even the tiniest bit of logic in my words? Any little bit? Am I right on any level? ANY??
post #19 of 69
Quote:

So a problem for SOME means that a product recall of all iPhone 4s should have taken place. Awesome logic!

Yes! And that's the kind of thinking I'm trying to get across here! Thank you!!!!
post #20 of 69
Quote:

Seriously, I watched the videos of other phones with death grips and to be fair, those examples seemed to be someone squeezing the crap out of the phone. The iPhone looses it's signal when holding the phone in a natural way in the left hand. Placing the antenna on the outside clearly makes this problem more severe on the iPhone 4. Never had this happen on my 3G.

It's the natural way part that warrants a recall IMHO.

And Apple did pull those videos, right? Why??
post #21 of 69
Quote:

I think he mentioned that " it's funny ". I see no arrogance. May be you should stop 'Police-ing". Just saying!
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, he said the $175 million set aside for the iPhone 4 Case Program could actually be accretive, and add between 25 cents and 45 cents to Apple's 2011 earnings per share. He noted the $175 million set aside isn't a lot for a company with $45.8 billion in cash.

This is frankly the only good which the bumper is capable of doing.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #23 of 69
Quote:

When SOME = Major part of devices sold, then I think it's logical enough.
post #24 of 69
When all of this 'antenna gate' stuff first started, I thought that it was just Apple's quality control slipping as has happened a few times during this recent decade, the most successful time period in Apple's history. But after seeing the compelling evidence Jobs presented, I see that these problems are a widespread result of our obsession with making things smaller and smaller and the smartphone industry's refusal to put external antenna "nubs" or similarly aesthetically unpleasing protrusions on their phones in order to ensure great reception. I have an old-style smartphone, the Treo 650, which has such an antenna, and it is difficult for me to physically affect its reception.

Apple is to be commended for going above and beyond on their efforts with these bumpers. They took the time to put together a special event identifying and going over every aspect of the problem and then gave away FREE products to combat it. To my knowledge, none of the other companies listed who had similar reception problems have done this.

People continue to expect perfection in an imperfect world. This causes unnecessary lawsuits and hardships for so many. A little understanding, kindness, and working together to solve problems goes a long way.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
post #25 of 69
Quote:

What, something like offering a free case or a free return to anyone who was unhappy with their product? That sort of thing to please its customers you mean, even though the satisfaction rate is the highest of any smart phone, signal better than it's predecessor and the return rate the lowest of any smart phone out there. offer a blanket gift to everyone for a problem experienced by a minority? Seems like a pretty nice thing to do with me. And I don't think ten days from a problem being overblown by the media to a full response from the CEO of a major company is "weeks" either.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Yes, but return/complaint rate was less than 1%, so it was a tiny minority, not the major part of devices sold.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

So when <100% are affected you honestly think it's logical that 100% should be recalled? Where do you people spawn from?
post #28 of 69
Quote:

Seriously, I watched the videos of other phones with death grips and to be fair, those examples seemed to be someone squeezing the crap out of the phone. The iPhone looses it's signal when holding the phone in a natural way in the left hand. Placing the antenna on the outside clearly makes this problem more severe on the iPhone 4. Never had this happen on my 3G.

It's the natural way part that warrants a recall IMHO.

Yes but for some users although touching this point on the phone might degrade signal - although a majority see no change at all - but not significantly (maybe one, at the very worst two bars down), and they're still left with a better overall signal than with the phones predecessor.

I for one, and everyone I know who owns one of these phones (multiple countries, multiple carriers) can't replicate the issue.
post #29 of 69
Quote:

4. Never had this happen on my 3G.

So it never happened on your 3G means it didn't happen on anyone's 3G. Drop the arrogance. (That one is for IronHeadSlim)

Quote:

They did pull them. Any point they were trying to male was already made and kicking your competitors when they are already so far behind you doesn't look good. While the videos were accurate and were available well before Apple did there own it was unnecessary and didn't sit well with many investors.
post #30 of 69
Quote:

Apple's mindshare? Let me tell you about Apple's mindshare. I hear about it all the time because I use Apple products at work. In fact I'm referred to as Mr. Apple and used to be quite the cheerleader for them.

Most of the world considers Apple to be "that company that makes iPods." Most don't even know that Apple makes computers because Windows dominates the earth. Moreover, Apple fans are considered just that. Fans. The word fan is short for fanatic. They think of us like Trekkers, or Twilight-ers or whatever is hip right now. Geeky Kool Aid drinking fanboys.

That is Apple's mindshare if you look just about anywhere but this forum. There is an entire world out there you know. Try living in it.

I don't know what your social/work circle is, but you seem utterly out of touch. I don't know a single person who isn't aware of the iMac - so tell me again that most people don't know Apple makes computers? Utter nonsense.

I also don't believe you were ever a "cheerleader" for them - maybe back in the lates 80s when they were a failing company with incredibly small market share and the iPod hadn't been launched?

Apple are a great company, with an ever increasing profit, Jobs has transformed the company and more people discover Apple and it's products every day. If you think Apple is in some way failing and people aren't aware of the brand and what it creates, then you're living in a very strange part of the planet indeed.
post #31 of 69
The free case thing was more or less a pacifier for the press. I remember C|Net's live coverage of the iPhone press conference, and some of the most cynical and pessimistic remarks were made by their head staff--it ranged from "end of Apple" to conspiracy theory cover-up remarkes during the whole thing. (Molly Wood is a joke!) When Jobs announced the bumpers, their so-called reporters started doing mock victory dances behind the microphones--I thought this was news?!

The only thing I learned from the whole thing was not to trust the news media a little less, an the blogosophere not at all. Real science was trumped by tech journalists and YouTube videos.

PS: What cracked me up was how everyone believed the YouTube videos by random joe schmoes, but immediately denounced the videos Apple put up with other mfg's phones.

PSS: Consumer Reports is a sham of a "consumer focused" magazine, more of a shakedown publication.
post #32 of 69
Quote:

I feel you man and I understand the frustration. Even the most avid fanboy has some gripe about some of the things Apple does. But unfortunately you, me, and everyone here bitching about Apple and Steve wouldn't do anything. Picketing over at Cupertino might do it.. But then again that's what this forum is for. If only Steve Jobs comes here to listen to us huh?
post #33 of 69
Quote:

Unlike many Americans, I don't use products because of their popularity. I use them because they work for me. I used Macs long before the iPod, regardless of their popularity. If that earns me a place as one of "the crazy ones," well then so be it.
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post

PSS: Consumer Reports is a sham of a "consumer focused" magazine, more of a shakedown publication.

Really? Who are they "shaking down," and how?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes but for some users although touching this point on the phone might degrade signal - although a majority see no change at all - but not significantly (maybe one, at the very worst two bars down), and they're still left with a better overall signal than with the phones predecessor.

I for one, and everyone I know who owns one of these phones (multiple countries, multiple carriers) can't replicate the issue.

I thought we (the world) decided it only occurs in areas with poor ATT reception? As such, you may not know anyone with this problem. I don't have it, but I can't dismiss all the traffic out there that says it exists.

As a shareholder, I want to see everyone get an iPhone 4 and that's not gonna happen if some people can't hold a call. Yes, the iPhone has a great following as it is, but lets try to do better. Put the antenna back on the inside and call it a day.
post #36 of 69
Quote:

So it never happened on your 3G means it didn't happen on anyone's 3G. Drop the arrogance. (That one is for IronHeadSlim)

I like a good comeback. But that wasn't one. I am not aware of anyone having antenna issues with any previous iPhone. Not until the 3G showed up on the scene with a plastic back did I hear some speculation that the metal back interfered with reception.

No, all the dropped calls on previous iPhones are owned by ATT. Apple just made a bad situation worse with the new antenna.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I don't know what your social/work circle is, but you seem utterly out of touch. I don't know a single person who isn't aware of the iMac - so tell me again that most people don't know Apple makes computers? Utter nonsense.

I also don't believe you were ever a "cheerleader" for them - maybe back in the lates 80s when they were a failing company with incredibly small market share and the iPod hadn't been launched

It's true in my neck of the woods. I do work with some older people (older than me) who could care less about gadgets. But when I do get asked about a wireless network and mention Time Capsule, no one knows what I'm talking about.

During the whole Vista mess, someone might show me an ad for a cheap PC and I would say, "I wouldn't want it because it runs Vista. I prefer Leopard." No one knows what Leopard is. It is not a household name. But it should be.

As for dot mac, mobile me, personal training, time machine, quick look, most people don't know what these are. Utter nonsense? No sir. Apple is a niche market. Very few people know what it's all about.

As far as the cheerleader thing, it's true. I made the switch during the Intel changeover. Like most people I had NO IDEA there was a viable alternative to Windows. I told everybody who would listen how great I thought my Mac was. I stopped because I have been met with outright hostility. Apple fanboy arrogance is well known amongst Windows users. That's where I heard the Kool Aid analogy for the first time. A co worker told me, "well, I guess you drank the Kool Aid."

Whether it's true or not, people perceive Apple to be even more of a walled garden than it really is. Most people I talked to were shocked to find out that Macs can go on the internet and do email. And don't get people started about the price.

Hope this makes the point. I'm trying to get you to take your first step into a larger world Luke.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Unlike many Americans, I don't use products because of their popularity. I use them because they work for me. I used Macs long before the iPod, regardless of their popularity. If that earns me a place as one of "the crazy ones," well then so be it.

I also use Macs because they work for me. Over the past ten years Apple has played nice with the Windows world, culminating in the Intel Switch and bootcamp which gave many, including me, the safety net to make the switch. And it's been a great ride.

It's the change in Apple's tone of late that troubles me. This whole notion that Apple steers the internet by banning flash from portable (I didn't say mobile) devices. The curated App store which dictates what you can and can't do with your device. And back on point, the attitude with which the whole antenna issue was handled.

"Don't hold it that way." Ouch. As a user and a stock holder, I don't like to hear that from the candy man of Apple.

No Muncy, we weren't "crazy ones" to use a Mac. But we might be a little bit crazy to use an iOS device.
post #39 of 69
It's amazing how wrong and arrogant Blackintosh is. This sort of mental disconnect and hatred for a company has to be Teckstud.
post #40 of 69
Back to the original theme of the thread about benefiting shareholders.

Dropping the program may add a slight increase to accessory sales just in time for the holidays, but don't count on a significant increase as 175 million or 300 million to Apple wouldn't mean anything in its earnings.
Just watching the ANALISTS (the way it should be spelled) picking up crumbs on the floor.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › End of Apple's iPhone 4 Case Program seen as benefit to shareholders