or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple on track to sell record 3.8M Macs in Sept. quarter

Apple on track to sell record 3.8M Macs in Sept. quarter

post #1 of 36
New domestic sales data shows Apple is on pace to sell as many as 3.8 million Macs in the September quarter, up 23 percent from the same period a year ago.

The NPD Group released new data Monday that showed Apple tracking slightly ahead of Wall Street's expectations of 3.7 million Macs for the September quarter, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. The U.S. sales data implies Mac unit growth of between 21 percent and 24 percent from the same three-month span a year ago.

In addition, NPD data shows the average selling price of Macs has decreased about 2.9 percent from 2009. The figures are based on Mac sales in July and August, the first two months of the September quarter.

The data suggests that Apple is on pace to have yet another record breaking quarter for Mac sales. The previous best came in the June quarter, when the company sold 3.47 million Macs, helping it achieve a 77 percent year-over-year increase in profits.

NPD's U.S. data also suggests iPod sales will be between 10 million and 10.5 million, slightly ahead of Wall Street expectations. These numbers range between a loss of 2 percent to an increase of 3 percent from sales in the year-ago quarter.

We note that the iPod refresh in Sept. makes it difficult to gauge the impact these new models will have on sales late in the quarter (41% of NPD iPod units came in the month of Sept. last year)," Munster wrote. "Additionally, international iPod sales are a larger mix than international Mac sales resulting in a slightly greater margin of error from domestic NPD data."

The analyst said the numbers show that Apple's strong guidance for the September quarter could prove to be conservative yet again. The company guided revenue to 6 percent above consensus, the highest differential relative to Wall Street in the 17 quarters since Piper Jaffray began tracking guidance.

"That said, guidance of $18 (billion) implies sequential growth of just 15% vs. 25% in the year-ago quarter (with very similar product transition dynamics)," Munster wrote. "In other words, Apple's strong guidance may prove to be conservative."
post #2 of 36
Good. Glad to hear this. I love my Mac.
post #3 of 36
There is no reason to doubt that the continued expansion of the Apple Store into more countries will have the same salutary effect on Mac sales it had in the U.S. Perhaps even more so since Apple now has its super popular iOS products to get the curious in the door. The halo effect on Mac sales, though modest, is important to the health of the Apple ecosystem.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #4 of 36
Cue to morons that say the Mac is dying and Apple is giving iPhones and iPods all their effort.

The halo effect is real, it's just 5 years later than anyone expected.
post #5 of 36
It'll be over 4 million. These predictions are usually conservative so it is easy to state a number just beyond the predicted and be right.

The interesting thing is that news sites state that the iPad is not cannibalizing Mac sales. If I buy an iPad within the year I most certainly won't be upgrading my Macbook (btw: I just bought an iMac). So maybe Apple's sales are accelerating faster than the iPad can take away potential sales of more expensive systems.
post #6 of 36
No surprises here. I love my 27" i7 iMac. Just convinced another long-time Windows user to get their first iMac (i3 21.5") last week and they never looked back. Nothing but high-praise about their machine. Now they are looking to supplement their iMac with an iPad (v2) for the wife.

Keep innovating Apple!
post #7 of 36
I suspect that the iPad / 27" iMac combination will have been a huge seller this quarter.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The interesting thing is that news sites state that the iPad is not cannibalizing Mac sales. If I buy an iPad within the year I most certainly won't be upgrading my Macbook (btw: I just bought an iMac). So maybe Apple's sales are accelerating faster than the iPad can take away potential sales of more expensive systems.

Similar story. Rather than upgrading my MacBook, I am going to buy an iPad after the first revision. But I will be upgrading my iMac sooner or later.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Cue to morons that say the Mac is dying and Apple is giving iPhones and iPods all their effort.

The halo effect is real, it's just 5 years later than anyone expected.

Agreed. I bet the Mac development team is hard at work. Simply because they got a growing
market, and not a diminishing one. I am looking forward to Mac OS X 10.7 as one of the linchpins of the Apple ecosystem that is coming into being.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #10 of 36
Hopefully this will news help AAPL break out of the stagnant phase its been in for a while and start rising significantly. It is so under valued at present IMHO and biased opinion.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #11 of 36
My boss just bought 3 Macs. He never used a Mac in his life before now.
post #12 of 36
What's a Mac? Is that like a big iPad?
post #13 of 36
Gotta love it! Shareholders rejoice!
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

My boss just bought 3 Macs. He never used a Mac in his life before now.

i like this news (hopefully windows gets better and better due to this as well, though i doubt it)
i have to agree with person cueing halo effect not happening (mocking the people) and how it has just taken longer

i think this is good for Apple and the competition, i hope it will make Apple feel free to spend more on R&D

my only question, 3 Macs??? why??? i could see Imca/Mac pro and a MK(P) but 3??

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #15 of 36
ASP down by 3%.
Run for the exits¡
post #16 of 36
I bought a 27" iMac with the SSD option this quarter. The combination of that sweet, sweet display and SSD snappiness makes this my most satisfying computer purchase in a very long time (possibly ever). [yes, I know that the SSD from Apple isn't as good as SSDs from OWC and other sources, but it's still way faster than a magnetic drive, which is the relevant comparison since it's pretty hard to get a non-Apple SSD in the iMac]

But regarding the iPod --- this has to have been the worst nano refresh ever. All those people worried that Apple plans to kill the Mac should redirect their worry towards the iPod nano. Macs continue to be best of class, but the iPod nano is a huge step backwards. If given a choice between a fifth generation nano and a sixth generation nano at the same price and storage capacity, why would anyone give up (1) a larger screen, (2) the ability to play video, and (3) a camera? It makes no sense.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Good. Glad to hear this. I love my Mac.

That his AI account has been hacked and the wellspring of pure cool bitterness and cynicism is being poisoned with fanboism. Please stop the love before it's too late.

What would be interesting is to see what the actual PC market growth rate was, and what the growth or stagnation rate of the other PC makers was during this same period.
post #18 of 36
I dont think 4 million is unrealistic for this quarter considering the back to school special and Apples increase, especially among students.

Speaking of said increase, a college campus survey has Apple tied with Dell at 38% per unit share. When you consider Apples revenue and profit take it would look surely more like a monopoly.
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/...randed-campus/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

But regarding the iPod --- this has to have been the worst nano refresh ever.

Not really the thread for this, but since you mention it, I absolutely love the new Nano. However, in your defense, I love it because its the iPod Shuffle Ive been wanting for years.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hopefully this will news help AAPL break out of the stagnant phase its been in for a while and start rising significantly. It is so under valued at present IMHO and biased opinion.

Stagnant phase? Where the hell have you been living? Under a rock?
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Gotta love it! Shareholders rejoice!

Oh we are!
post #21 of 36
I too just sold my desktop tower PC to buy the new i5 quad iMac. It's incredible. LOVE it.

Not sure which quarter my number will be added to since I just got mine a couple weeks ago.

Trying to convince my dad to get one as well. I will add wife to Mac world when her laptop dies. (its a 4 yr old dell, so it shouldn't be long)

My house will be all mac soon. Got my daughter an older G4 for free, so just the wife left to convert.
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not really the thread for this, but since you mention it, I absolutely love the new Nano. However, in your defense, I love it because its the iPod Shuffle Ive been wanting for years.

Totally agree with you. I thought I would never have a need for a dedicated mp3 player, but this new refresh is fantastic. Best running iPod ever, I absolutely hated carrying my iPhone in an armband.
post #23 of 36
September is a month... NOT a quarter.

Just Saying...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

September is a month... NOT a quarter.

Just Saying...

Wow! I don’t expect much from you in the way of critical thinking but not being able to comprehend that “Sept. quarter” refers to the quarter that ends in September and includes the two preceding months means that I’ve been given you too much credit. I’ll try not to do that ever again.

For future reference, when you read “December quarter”, “March quarter”, or "June quarter” try to remember that they are using the name of the month that closes out that quarter, not referring to 1/12 of the year as 1/4 of the year. Also keep in mind that the end of the quarter for many companies doesn’t end exactly at midnight on the last day of that month.
post #25 of 36
Quote:

Wow! I dont expect much from you in the way of critical thinking but not being able to comprehend that Sept. quarter refers to the quarter that ends in September and includes the two preceding months means that Ive been given you too much credit. Ill try not to do that ever again.

For future reference, when you read December quarter, March quarter, or "June quarter try to remember that they are using the name of the month that closes out that quarter, not referring to 1/12 of the year as 1/4 of the year. Also keep in mind that the end of the quarter for many companies doesnt end exactly at midnight on the last day of that quarter.

Ouch.

Nice.
post #26 of 36
Quote:

but the iPod nano is a huge step backwards.

The new Nano is a statement of fashion. It will sell well.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

That his AI account has been hacked and the wellspring of pure cool bitterness and cynicism is being poisoned with fanboism. Please stop the love before it's too late.

What?? If this was an insult I missed it. If it was a compliment I missed that too!
post #28 of 36
Quote:

What?? If this was an insult I missed it. If it was a compliment I missed that too!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #29 of 36
Quote:

Exactly -- it's what the shuffle should be (except that it costs too much). The nano is dead in all but name. If they sold an iPod Touch that cost $150 it wouldn't be a big deal, but there's currently a big hole in the product lineup.
post #30 of 36
Quote:

Exactly -- it's what the shuffle should be (except that it costs too much). The nano is dead in all but name. If they sold an iPod Touch that cost $150 it wouldn't be a big deal, but there's currently a big hole in the product lineup.

That was argument prior to its official announcement when the rumours were spreading that this was the new Nano. I said it couldn have a camera or be used for playing back video, which would put a huge hole in the line up if this was the only Nano. While I was wrong about the nomenclature I was correct about everything else.

I have to wonder if the 5G Nano wasnt selling that well (though I bought 4 over the last year for family members) or if Apple really wants to push the Touch because of the increased capabilities and access to the App Store which will push iOS domination and App Store lock in. I have to think its the latter.
post #31 of 36
The beauty of the iPad is that it's a complimentary device, rather than an alternative. If anything, the iPad encourages people to go the route of an Apple chain of devices. I predicted at the beginning that the iPad would promote desktop sales and while this could, in the long run, have a negative impact on laptop sales, it's a net gain for Apple. There is more profit in selling a consumer a desktop plus an iPad instead of just a laptop. That way you get the best of both worlds at a modest additional cost. Either you can have more performance for not much more money or a cost effective combination that in some ways is superior.

If you opt for an iMac or Mac Pro to combine with an iPad, the cost can be greater (though not necessarily) but the increase in performance from the desktop side is enormous and the convenience on the iPad side is likewise significant compared to a laptop alone. Or, for the cost of an Apple laptop, you can opt for a Mac Mini plus an iPad plus a low-cost monitor. Here in Canada, a basic Mini is $749, a monitor can be had for around $250, and an iPad starts at $549. Add in keyboard+mouse and you're looking at roughly $1,700. A 15-inch MacBook Pro wit similar internals to the Mini would check in at $1,849. Boost the memory in the Mini up to the MacBook's 4GB and you're talking roughly the same money. A 17-inch MacBook Pro is $2349 but then you could have a system including a Cinema Display for around $2,500. If you go the iMac route, a 27-inch IMac plus an iPad would cost you roughly around the same as a 17" MacBook.

Instead of compromising with one product, i.e. the laptop, you can have a device that is designed specifically for portable use without having to offer desktop capabilities and compliment it with a desktop that doesn't have to make the compromises imposed by having to produce a device that can be portable.

Apple sellls a lot more devices and the consumer has a better solution. Win/Win.

Far better than the netbook approach which only serves to produce a diminished experience.

That said, laptops still have their place. If you need to do work the iPad isn't capable of doing well and you need or want to do that work away from a desktop, clearly a laptop makes sense. For the rest of us, desktop/iPad makes more sense. Still, even if the iPad leads to a reduction in laptop sales, if it is replaced with more desktops sold combined with millions of iPads, Apple is still way ahead.

The other advantage of the iPad is that if you get a customer who is working with a PC initially, if the iPad makes a favourable impression, it opens the door to the customer considering an all-Apple set-up over the long haul.

You've got to love a product that rather than cannibalize sales overall, results in a dramatic increase.
post #32 of 36
Quote:

You miss a lot.
post #33 of 36
Quote:

... I have to wonder if the 5G Nano wasnt selling that well (though I bought 4 over the last year for family members) or if Apple really wants to push the Touch because of the increased capabilities and access to the App Store which will push iOS domination and App Store lock in. I have to think its the latter.

I think it's a combination of the two.

Notice that the Nano and Shuffle are clip on devices: devices people are likely to use for for "active" listening: running, working out, etc. The "hole" in the lineup is not really that big: $149 for a Nano, $229 for a touch, and the Touch gives you so much more capability than a Nano. What exactly would they price in between there? A big Nano without a touch screen?

With your hands free, and not engaged in some activity that makes use awkward, the Touch is so much more capable and functional and useful than anything they could have put in the "hole". For everything else, there's the Nano and Shuffle. I think it's a very smart, forward thinking division of the product line.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think it's a combination of the two.

Notice that the Nano and Shuffle are clip on devices: devices people are likely to use for for "active" listening: running, working out, etc. The "hole" in the lineup is not really that big: $149 for a Nano, $229 for a touch, and the Touch gives you so much more capability than a Nano. What exactly would they price in between there? A big Nano without a touch screen?

With your hands free, and not engaged in some activity that makes use awkward, the Touch is so much more capable and functional and useful than anything they could have put in the "hole". For everything else, there's the Nano and Shuffle. I think it's a very smart, forward thinking division of the product line.

If Nano is for "active" listening, then it misses the point. The touch screen makes it extremely hard to use when doing anything "active".
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

If Nano is for "active" listening, then it misses the point. The touch screen makes it extremely hard to use when doing anything "active".

It does has the headset controls and voice feedback that my iPhone 4 still doesnt have. I had debating buying the Marware SportShell Convertible for the iPhone 4 as I loved it for my 3GS, but I opted for the iPod Nano at 3x the cost because it suited my exercise needs more.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsu View Post

It actually is very easy to use while running (I've been using it for a week). Volume control, if you have the better Apple headsets you can change it there as well.

Normally when working out I use a playlist, but to change songs, all you have to do is hit the wake button and click on the right side of the screen. Very simple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple on track to sell record 3.8M Macs in Sept. quarter