or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Cinema Display Apple Store entry updated to new 27-inch models

Cinema Display Apple Store entry updated to new 27-inch models

post #1 of 41
The online Apple Store now displays details of the new 27-inch Cinema Display on its Configure your Mac page, a sign that the display may be close to shipping.

The configuration pages for the Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook and Macbook Air have been updated with information about the upcoming 27-inch Cinema Display but currently only allow purchase of the older 24-inch and 30-inch models.

Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display sports a 2560 x 1440 resolution with an ambient light sensor and the same in-plane switching technology that the iMac, iPhone 4 and iPad use. Despite being announced in July alongside the new 12-core Mac Pro and updated iMac line, the display wasn't scheduled to ship until sometime in September.

Sources told AppleInsider in March that the then unannounced display had been "lingering in Apple's labs for quite some time" while the Mac maker waited for LCD panel prices to drop.

The company's main product page for the $999 27-inch LED Cinema Display currently displays a "Coming September" notice. Clicking the "Buy Now" button redirects shoppers to the 24-inch Cinema Display purchase page.

The 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Display models will be available only as supplies last, making the 27-inch model the only current-generation display offered by Apple.

post #2 of 41
I would rather have the older one. The glare from that glossy monitor is horrible. I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking here.
post #3 of 41
Relatively speaking, US 999 is not that bad, especially if it looks as stunning as the display on my iMac 27.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #4 of 41
I wish Apple would give matte options for ALL their displays. Even iOS devices. I'd pay extra
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
post #5 of 41
Okay, so this is smaller and has lower resolution than the model it replaced. What's the upside again?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would rather have the older one. The glare from that glossy monitor is horrible. I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking here.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the discounts on the 30

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Okay, so this is smaller and has lower resolution than the model it replaced. What's the upside again?

The new 27-inch has in-plane switching, speakers, and ambient light sensor.

30 inch is $1,799 for 2560 x 1600, compared to $999 for 2560 x 1440 27-inch, so 27-inch has a better pixel density (109ppi compared to 101ppi).

30 inch is from the old "HD" line, is matte. 27-inch is from the new "LED" line, glossy with LED backlighting.

I'd imagine Apple did their research too and thought that a 30-inch IPS would either be too expensive or too niche to be profitable.
post #8 of 41
Quote:

I have a 27" iMac and the glossy doesn't even bother me at all... have you actually used one to see if you even might like it?

It annoys me how there are so many complaining about the glossy when its not even that bad....
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

I have a 27" iMac and the glossy doesn't even bother me at all... have you actually used one to see if you even might like it?

It annoys me how there are so many complaining about the glossy when its not even that bad....

It annoys me that there are so many saying that it doesn't bother them at all. No, I have not used one, except in the store. When my iMac dies, I will get a Mac with a glossy monitor. I will have no choice if I get another iMac and I don't have the funds or the need for a Mac Pro.

I notice you used the words "not even that bad." I don't see you saying "it's really nice."
post #10 of 41
Quote:

It annoys me that there are so many saying that it doesn't bother them at all. No, I have not used one, except in the store. When my iMac dies, I will get a Mac with a glossy monitor. I will have no choice if I get another iMac and I don't have the funds or the need for a Mac Pro.

I notice you used the words "not even that bad." I don't see you saying "it's really nice."

Using my 27" iMac as a reference:

The panel itself is gorgeous. It's really nice. The reflective shine of the glass over it is all-but-unnoticeable with thoughtful placement; unless there's a particularly bright light source facing the glass the display is more than bright enough to overpower most reflections.
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
post #11 of 41
I also prefer the glossy ones. Never had an issue with reflections (never sat with the sun shining tbrough a window behind me).
The matte ones, on the other hand, show some irregular 'graininess' when you look close, it is a bit disturbing (akin to the grease on a touch device). Just my impression...
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #12 of 41
Quote:

You may be even more annoyed when I tell you, that I have both a 24" matte and a 24" glossy monitor, and can tell you that since contrast and color saturation is considerably better on the glossy monitor, I actually prefer to work on the glossy monitor. Indeed I am thinking of replacing my matte 24" with the glossy 27" once it's available.
post #13 of 41
Everyone needs to understand that Apple no longer makes professional displays. If you want a matte display to do professional work, you'll need to shop elsewhere. I've given up. NEC makes some nice professional displays, that are 16x10, and matte.
post #14 of 41
I have a 21.5 glossy iMac and the reflection is only noticeable once in a while. The 27" is worse from what I've seen, but possibly no more than proportionally worse.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Everyone needs to understand that Apple no longer makes professional displays. If you want a matte display to do professional work, you'll need to shop elsewhere. I've given up. NEC makes some nice professional displays, that are 16x10, and matte.

That is clear. Their pro desktop does not have a built-in monitor, and the monitor they do sell primarily has laptop connectors, so that is like an admission that they expect pro desktop users to look elsewhere for a screen.
post #16 of 41
I wonder when Apple is going to bother releasing the international pricing... I know we will pay way more than our American brethren because Apple likes to seriously Butt F*ck anyone outside of the US, but I still want one.

Shame that they decided to remove the 24" model without replacing it, a 21.5" model would have been nice for those who still want a fantastic display without mortgaging their house.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #17 of 41
Quote:

You mean in a store that has a ceiling covered with florescent lights? In that case, glossy is going to be bad. In any kind of home lighting, the glossy isn't noticeable at all. The screen is, in fact, quite nice, and definitely the best display I've ever seen on a computer.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That is clear. Their pro desktop does not have a built-in monitor, and the monitor they do sell primarily has laptop connectors, so that is like an admission that they expect pro desktop users to look elsewhere for a screen.

Exactly. People keep forgetting that these glossy mirror screens have connector cables so short that they only can be hooked to a Macbook sitting on the table to the side of the screen just like in the pictures.

Everyone who bought one for use with their Mac Pro has had to buy an extension cable.

In fact, same goes for apple wired keyboards. To use it with Mac Pro you MUST buy an USB extension cable, they were designed to be used with iMacs sitting on the same table as the keyboard.

So much for usability and just works out of the box. First thing I had to do when I unpacked my Mac Pro was run to the store to buy extension cable so I can hook up the damn thing.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

There are 1,100+ petitions at this site below where Apple fans are complaining about glossy screens (only the 15" and 17" have matte option - all other Macs are glossy-only)

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

Apple needs to realise that many people buy Apple IN SPITE of the glossy screen, because of the other plus factors, such as OSX, iOS etc - and NOT BECAUSE of the glossy screen.

Sure, some people love glossy - which is great - but other loathe the glossy screen. We're not arguing for Apple to remove glossy screens. We just want the choice of matte or anti-reflective. I said this specifically to avoid glossy-lovers replying by saying why they love glossy. There's no need to say that. I accept and agree with your right to like glossy screens. Just do the same and respect our right to be able to buy a matte, non-reflective screen if we want to.

I don't know why is it that people have a hard time with choice. How does it affect anyone personally that other people have a choice to buy a screen that they like better? Yet people argue in these forums fervently against others having this choice.

The argument has never been to take away the glossy screen but to add matte as an option as well. I just don't get some people.

post #20 of 41
all the more expensive since my 37" IPS (LG 16/9 IPS panel) LED Philips 1080p HDTV w/ light sensor, ambilight, built-in multimedia player, HDMI 1.4 is only <650 EUR worth. And Philips is not particularly well known for making cheap TVs. Probably making a 2560x1440 display comes at a price but, still, that's a pretty pricey consumer product (glossy, short cables...) if just for watching downloaded 720p iTunes movies !
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

I wish Apple would give matte options for ALL their displays. Even iOS devices. I'd pay extra

I agree. As much as I like the iPad, I wish I had the option to buy one with a matte screen. Then again, the iPad sure is a great thing to use.

But yeah, to me it's strange that Apple doesn't keep the 30" available. I mean, it must have been a hit since they sell this one for over 6 years now. Four years ago the specs even got updated a bit. But to see it go is, well, it seems strange to me.

I just got a new MacPro and jumped for the 30". Now that it really is going to be unavailable I'm even thinking about getting a second one. Even though NEC and Eizo have some great monitors I also like the brushed aluminum. That and the Apple logo. I read in I believe this thread that someone even bought a spare one to store in the attic in case his 30" would die. That is how far some folks go...

Yeah I'm a sucker but I'm into photography and glossy is just not an option. Ask anyone who does a bit more than point-n-shoot pictures and you will here that glossy is not an option.

Then again, YMMV. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Philippe
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #22 of 41
Quote:

or better jump in now and get yourself a refurb 27" iMac for half a grand more.
post #23 of 41
Quote:

Me too. Then again, it could become a collectors item and the price will go up. Or will it not?
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Well, to me it is bad. I'm into photography and the color on my screen needs to match the colors when the picture is printed. I have my pictures printed matte, not glossy. So no, I don't like glossy. So yes, it is a preference.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Unfortunately it looks like that yes. So buy a 30" while stock lasts I say!
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Exactly. People keep forgetting that these glossy mirror screens have connector cables so short that they only can be hooked to a Macbook sitting on the table to the side of the screen just like in the pictures.

Everyone who bought one for use with their Mac Pro has had to buy an extension cable.

In fact, same goes for apple wired keyboards. To use it with Mac Pro you MUST buy an USB extension cable, they were designed to be used with iMacs sitting on the same table as the keyboard.

So much for usability and just works out of the box. First thing I had to do when I unpacked my Mac Pro was run to the store to buy extension cable so I can hook up the damn thing.

Hmm, received my new MacPro two weeks ago. Came with a USB extension cable (male-female)
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperfecto View Post

all the more expensive since my 37" IPS (LG 16/9 IPS panel) LED Philips 1080p HDTV w/ light sensor, ambilight, built-in multimedia player, HDMI 1.4 is only <650 EUR worth. And Philips is not particularly well known for making cheap TVs. Probably making a 2560x1440 display comes at a price but, still, that's a pretty pricey consumer product (glossy, short cables...) if just for watching downloaded 720p iTunes movies !

Yeah, but who's gonna connect a TV to a computer? I mean, TV's are designed to watch from a couple of feet/meters away. When working on your computer you are really close to the screen. Hence all the extra pixels on computer displays. That, and the fact that a computer screen has square pixels. On a TV they're rectangular.

Then again, I don't care what something costs, I choose what I like. And when $$ is an issue I just need to save longer, but will never settle for anything less.

And this 27" is quite cheap. I got the 30", paid $ 800m more for what? 3 inches and 1600 instead of 1440 horizontal pixels? No, to me it was my preference of a matte screen above a glossy one...
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hmm, received my new MacPro two weeks ago. Came with a USB extension cable (male-female)

Come on - you expect trolls to actually own the products they claim to own?
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yeah I'm a sucker but I'm into photography and glossy is just not an option. Ask anyone who does a bit more than point-n-shoot pictures and you will here that glossy is not an option.

What a surprise - the "if you are a real photographer you won't use glossy" argument. For me, if glare on a glossy screen is bothering you you have ither issues. For anyone who is really serious about photography and color your going to be working in a controlled environment where glare won't have a chance to exist in the first place.

Thats the real irony...

Speaking of color - the gamut on the 30" display sucks. If you are serious about color you wouldnt be pining for it just because it has matte, you would already be elsewhere.
post #30 of 41
Quote:

It annoys me that there are so many saying that it doesn't bother them at all. ...

I know, it's so annoying that Apple keeps making these great products that people actually like! WTF!?
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshong View Post

30 inch is $1,799 for 2560 x 1600, compared to $999 for 2560 x 1440 27-inch, so 27-inch has a better pixel density (109ppi compared to 101ppi).

30 inch is from the old "HD" line, is matte. 27-inch is from the new "LED" line, glossy with LED backlighting.

I'd imagine Apple did their research too and thought that a 30-inch IPS would either be too expensive or too niche to be profitable.

Sounds like a net positive, but I thought this monitor was for "pro" users who favor matte options over glossy. Non-pro users would probably buy the 27" iMac. Do any Pro users feel the same way?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 41
The new displays are built with real glass. Makes it very sturdy and easy to clean. Probably not as easy to make matte? Do actual pros use another brand? I don't do photography work and the reflection disappears as I get into what I'm doing. No matter my opinion Apple is sticking with glossy. The price is great compared to previous generation.
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperfecto View Post

I bet your TV can't display 24-bit color.
post #34 of 41
Help me. Has the 27" monitor been announced, or is it unannounced? I cannot comprehend. Thanks, KR
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtramey View Post

Help me. Has the 27" monitor been announced, or is it unannounced? I cannot comprehend. Thanks, KR

It was announced in July and should ship at the end of this month.
post #36 of 41
Quote:

Well Steve Jobs put the buttons back on the iPod mini... so maybe he'll put the matte screen back on the Cinema Display.

:0)
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshong View Post

Actually, ALL of Apples monitors have ALWAYS been IPS since the aluminum cinema displays (and possibly earlier?). You can easily tell just by looking at them, even the 20 inch aluminum one. So while everyone was complaining about how overpriced Apple's monitors were, very few seemed to notice that they WERE in fact, superior....

They still were pretty darn overpriced, though.

I'm actually hoping the 27 inch cinema display uses optical lamination like the iPhone 4 to glue the screen to the glass - that would reduce one layer of reflectivity. They might have, seeing how the glass is now edge to edge on all sides (like the iP4, which incidentally, has an optically laminated screen!). Lets all await the ifixit teardown...
post #38 of 41
By the way, I consider myself pretty much a Apple fanboy/zealot.

Even so, ever since they went glossy I haven't bought any of their glossy products. Products that are ONLY available in glossy, I've turned to other companies...

I just bought a matte Dell IPS monitor after having owned a 30 inch Cinema Display. I can tell you, if Apple had a matte 27 inch LED, there is a high chance I would of went there instead, even for a significant premium.

Same with iMac. I will likely buy a hackintosh desktop to replace this (with that dell monitor). Of course, I could go with a Mac Pro, but I feel it too expensive, and the mini too weak.

Similarly for 13 inch MBPs. I haven't upgraded from my old 15 inch MBP...at all.

I did consider a MBA. The reflectiveness on those to me is tolerable, probably due to it not having glass in front.

The thing is, I really WISH I could buy the Apple products, since I am in love with their industrial design.
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

By the way, I consider myself pretty much a Apple fanboy/zealot.

Even so, ever since they went glossy I haven't bought any of their glossy products. Products that are ONLY available in glossy, I've turned to other companies...

I just bought a matte Dell IPS monitor after having owned a 30 inch Cinema Display. I can tell you, if Apple had a matte 27 inch LED, there is a high chance I would of went there instead, even for a significant premium.

Same with iMac. I will likely buy a hackintosh desktop to replace this (with that dell monitor). Of course, I could go with a Mac Pro, but I feel it too expensive, and the mini too weak.

Similarly for 13 inch MBPs. I haven't upgraded from my old 15 inch MBP...at all.

I did consider a MBA. The reflectiveness on those to me is tolerable, probably due to it not having glass in front.

The thing is, I really WISH I could buy the Apple products, since I am in love with their industrial design.

I was also looking for all non-glossy options, including laptops. But with the amount of data from FCP & Aperture I would always need to connect FireWire drives. No biggie, but still. A hackingtosh? Well, not for me. I don't want any hassle in case something gets broken. After an update or anything. Just want 'everything to work right out of the box'.

So I saved up for the MacPro. Which was a bit easier because I had to wait quite a few months for the new model to be released lol. Since it took so long I just kept on saving and eventually had enough to get the 30" Cinema Display as well. Of course I looked at all the options. Yes, including the glossy screens. Seen them in the store. Even made an appointment to have the sales guy show me the screen before the store opened allowing me to see it without all the tube lights on. Still didn't like the glare. Well, to each his own.

May I ask why you didn't renew your 30" Cinema Display and went for the Dell? What it a cost-wise decision? I certainly have been sucked into the Apple aesthetics and found the aluminum frame much more attractive than the black one on iMacs and the glossy displays...
post #40 of 41
I hate the new display. It uses that annoying 16:9 ratio.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Cinema Display Apple Store entry updated to new 27-inch models