or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Christianity is incompatible with Republican style Capitalism
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Christianity is incompatible with Republican style Capitalism - Page 5

post #161 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

What I mean is that what's being claimed here is not merely the clarity of an interpretation of one or two verses, but that these verses (and their interpretation) is the sum total of scripture with regard to "capitalism" as well as how some large, amorphous group of people is adhering to these scriptures is inconsistent without benefit of real facts (only conjecture about motives.)

I can say more on this, but I need to get going right this moment.

True...but the expansion on Capitalism in the Scripture is far more damning...it just gets worse.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #162 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I am an atheist, I don't believe there was a god involved.


So am I.
Atheism saves!
yes I want oil genocide.
Reply
yes I want oil genocide.
Reply
post #163 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

So am I.
Atheism saves!

From what? Rationality or just maturity ???
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #164 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

From what? Rationality or just maturity ???

One thing Atheism saves from is the possibility that you're being manipulated through religion.
post #165 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

From what? Rationality or just maturity ???

For me, it doesn't save me from anything I don't think. I just am incapable of believing in god - I have no idea why anyone would believe in god. Religion is pretty obviously a man made construct - I think that the difference between religious people and non-religious people is made before those people are five years old. Either you are implanted with the meme or not.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #166 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

One thing Atheism saves from is the possibility that you're being manipulated through religion.

So what though if you are manipulated through something else? Manipulation is manipulation and only something that gives freedom to the self can free from that. I don't see that in atheism at all.

I would contend that the teachings of the original founders - though not obviously religion - were and are such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

For me, it doesn't save me from anything I don't think. I just am incapable of believing in god.

Wise and insightful words..I can respect that.

Edit: I respect Tonton too...incase it sounded like I was comparing!
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #167 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

So what though if you are manipulated through something else? Manipulation is manipulation and only something that gives freedom to the self can free from that. I don't see that in atheism at all.

There is potential for abuse in any system. But clearly, when you look at things, people are being manipulated through religion on an enormous scale. With atheism? Notsomuch.
post #168 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

There is potential for abuse in any system. But clearly, when you look at things, people are being manipulated through religion on an enormous scale. With atheism? Notsomuch.

I think it depends on how you would define 'manipulation'.

I tend to see it as promoting a certain view while hiding certain facts, twisting others or in some other way preventing access to perspectives that argue against the view you wish to promote.

I think atheists do this just as much as religious people...it's human nature. No politician is ever going to praise a good policy of the opposition but when they distort the stats that's manipulation.

Of course there are degrees of it and the threat of eternal damnation is, admittedly, one of the sickest and most twisted ever resorted to. Clearly no equivalence of this in terms of sheer evil exists in non-religious systems (unless one counts the Nazi or Stalinist regimes and their threats of punishment),
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #169 of 170
getting back to the thread subject and the matter du jour: Healthcare.
Conservatives as we know are leaning toward bible values. Yet, they are willing to pay taxes to protect everyones property with the military, fire dept, police and legal system. This is the exact opposite of what Jesus teaches. He would give a shit if your house burns down or the US gets invaded by New Zealand, but he would try to save your life if you get cancer, Strangely Conservatives are completely unwilling to spend a dime on their neighbors health.

Socialized property protection = good.
Socialized health protection = bad.
yes I want oil genocide.
Reply
yes I want oil genocide.
Reply
post #170 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I think it depends on how you would define 'manipulation'.

I tend to see it as promoting a certain view while hiding certain facts, twisting others or in some other way preventing access to perspectives that argue against the view you wish to promote.

I think atheists do this just as much as religious people...it's human nature. No politician is ever going to praise a good policy of the opposition but when they distort the stats that's manipulation.

Of course there are degrees of it and the threat of eternal damnation is, admittedly, one of the sickest and most twisted ever resorted to. Clearly no equivalence of this in terms of sheer evil exists in non-religious systems (unless one counts the Nazi or Stalinist regimes and their threats of punishment),

Manipulation would be deliberately using someone with selfish tangible goals in mind, e.g. profit or power.

What are the goals of the Atheists and how do these goals benefit Atheists, not ideologically, but tangibly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Christianity is incompatible with Republican style Capitalism