or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple debunks bogus story of Steve Jobs' throwing star troubles [u]

Apple debunks bogus story of Steve Jobs' throwing star troubles [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWR View Post

SJ actually deprived someone in Memphis of a liver transplant.

No, Steve Jobs most likely DID NOT "deprive someone in Memphis of a liver transplant. You need to understand how organ transplants work. You can't just take an organ from a random person and put it in another random person and expect everything to be fine. There has to be as close a match between the person donating the organ and the person receiving the organ. Not only that, but there is only a short window of time for an organ to be put into the recipient before it goes bad. Many organs are wasted all the time because of this.

And Steve Jobs is NOT the only person to go to another place for a transplant. "Ordinary" people do this too. I know an endocrinologist in Ohio who sends diabetic patients to Kentucky for pancreas transplants all the time. Does that mean that the Ohioan is depriving a Kentuckian of a transplant? NO! A local cardiologist sends all his heart transplant candidates to the Mayo Clinic for heart transplants.

If I have patients that need a transplant, I encourage them to do the same thing Steve Jobs did: research as many places ALL OVER THE US to find the best place to get the transplant done. Many times where a transplant is done makes all the difference.

Do some research into the process before you make up things like this.
post #122 of 151
The replies reveal more about the posters than the bogus story does about the subject.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #123 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Lol OMG.......
you are of course completely right....so now....all of you terrorist out there here is what you do.......charter a PRIVATE plane! Then carry on whatever weapons and explosives you want. Then when in flight just hijack the plane with the weapons you just carried on and crash the plane into whatever building or US monument you want to make whatever political statement you want! Brilliant plan! Because in this day and age it is bad manners to search PRIVATE planes......

I'd at least understand my not being allowed to carry anything on board because all of me is registered as a deadly weapon... Or maybe because security basically would have no idea who the hell I am, I'd be on a commercial flight, and it's safer to just say 'no throwing stars', but Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? Even evil Larry Ellison? On a private plane? Are you kidding me?

So security using a few brain cells and thinking "Steve Jobs is unlikely to use his ninja skills to take over the plane and crash it into the Empire State Building" is a bit too much? The whole concept of applying these rules 'equally' is the problem - everyone isn't equally likely to do stuff, so you're wasting resources and making it easier to avoid scrutiny for those who might actually do something. Which is pretty different than checking that, say, Paris Hilton isn't carrying cocaine or something... you may want to check more carefully in her case, right?

Anyway, sounds like the story may be made up anyway, but I could totally see it happening anyway.
post #124 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

No, Steve Jobs most likely DID NOT "deprive someone in Memphis of a liver transplant. You need to understand how organ transplants work. You can't just take an organ from a random person and put it in another random person and expect everything to be fine. There has to be as close a match between the person donating the organ and the person receiving the organ. Not only that, but there is only a short window of time for an organ to be put into the recipient before it goes bad. Many organs are wasted all the time because of this.

And Steve Jobs is NOT the only person to go to another place for a transplant. "Ordinary" people do this too. I know an endocrinologist in Ohio who sends diabetic patients to Kentucky for pancreas transplants all the time. Does that mean that the Ohioan is depriving a Kentuckian of a transplant? NO! A local cardiologist sends all his heart transplant candidates to the Mayo Clinic for heart transplants.

If I have patients that need a transplant, I encourage them to do the same thing Steve Jobs did: research as many places ALL OVER THE US to find the best place to get the transplant done. Many times where a transplant is done makes all the difference.

Do some research into the process before you make up things like this.

As I recall, the choice of getting on a list there was because it was shorter, thus increasing his chances of getting a liver. And since he has a private jet on call that afforded him to work from Cali without having to reside next to the hospital waiting for a liver that may never come.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #125 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

"I am not a crook" shares that attribute.

He said "authoritative source", so I respectfully disagree with your assertion.

post #126 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

He wasn't not allowed because he did not attempt to do anything.

You are correct, of course. Without indicating whether I'd attempted it, it could be inferred by writing that every time I have gone to the airport I have "not been allowed to take a weapon on board the airplane."

post #127 of 151
Face it, Neil, you got pwned. Hook, line, and sinker.

Leave the journalism thing to, you know, real journalists? This story should've had its sources checked and verified before you ever published it.

Maybe see if a local junior college doesn't have an "Intro to Journalism" class you can take one or two nights a week.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #128 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Face it, Neil, you got pwned. Hook, line, and sinker.

Leave the journalism thing to, you know, real journalists? This story should've had its sources checked and verified before you ever published it.

Maybe see if a local junior college doesn't have an "Intro to Journalism" class you can take one or two nights a week.

Generally, this site rewrites and reprints what other guys write about. If you don't like what they do, there are plenty of other sites for you to read.
post #129 of 151
<conspiracy>The story is true and Apple are just covering up, as they know nobody will question their word. </conspiracy>
post #130 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

The replies reveal more about the posters than the bogus story does about the subject.

Litmus test.
post #131 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL Of all the things that you simply can't believe about Apple and Jobs, the one you stand by is the one about Jobs vowing to never return to Japan because he can't bring back some throwing stars on his private jet? Awesome¡

Quote:

Wrong again, trollboy.

Wow, Newtron, take your meds, man.

You're beginning to sound crazier than usual.
post #132 of 151
Steve jobs also had Bigfoot's alien baby, according to the same tabloids.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #133 of 151
Quote:

He said "authoritative source", so I respectfully disagree with your assertion.

I respectfully submit that you are begging the question.
post #134 of 151
Quote:

I respectfully submit that you are begging the question.

You may, however, I referred to the allegory of your statement without an implication to the original poster's validity of logic. Begging the question would refer to the latter as being my intent, and not the former.

post #135 of 151
Quote:

You may, however, I referred to the allegory of your statement without an implication to the original poster's validity of logic. Begging the question would refer to the latter as being my intent, and not the former.

Careful. You're being way too logical for this guy. (Cuing his inane response any minute now..... 4..3..2...)
post #136 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Careful. You're being way too logical for this guy. (Cuing his inane response any minute now..... 4..3..2...)

Perhaps he's impervious to Jedi Mind Tricks.

post #137 of 151
Quote:

Perhaps he's impervious to Jedi Mind Tricks.

Perhaps he ignores trolls?
post #138 of 151
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #139 of 151
Quote:

"I am not a crook" shares that attribute.

Why yes, because a politician denying illegal activity against a great deal of evidence is almost exactly the same as a company denying a random, utterly unsubstantiated tabloid article that sounds pretty much ridiculous on the face of it.

By the way, by your lights aren't you supposed to speak Japanese and have some experience in airport security, journalism and Ninjas before you're allowed to indulge in lurid speculation?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #140 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Awesome. Just awesome.

Nice to have you back, Ireland.

On another note, this is an official non-post to an officially debunked non-story.

Go figure.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #141 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

But the rational response from a billionaire CEO of a huge company like Apple should have been gracious and understanding. He could have had an assistant either put the ninja stars in checked baggage or simply order more and have then delivered to his doorstep....

I love the way you are now assuming the story is true.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #142 of 151
Quote:

Perhaps he ignores trolls?

Perhaps not.

post #143 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, Newtron, take your meds, man.

You're beginning to sound crazier than usual.

You're kidding?

Newtron - are you still here?

Don't you have somewhere / anywhere to go?

It's OK to be somewhere else, we'll be fine.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
post #144 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't want to get into a big debate about this but "airport security" in the 70's didn't involve strip searches and loss of liberty. It was basically just a search for fruit and parakeets in your luggage. What they do now is technically illegal in most countries as I said.

It's also worth considering that searches at airports actually *don't* contribute to your safety. There are many reports, (even from the agencies responsible for initiating and controlling these searches in the USA), that indicate rather strongly that they add practically zero to the security of the citizenry. They are done because it's necessary to "look like they are doing something." This is not some conspiracy theory, it's a fact. They make people feel better, and they make the various government agencies look better. That's why they are done.

The only proper response to terrorism and the only thing that actually works (and you should be aware of this if you are from the UK), is talking to the terrorists and eventually addressing their grievances, which are more often than not, quite real, mostly rational, and justified. But no one really wants to hear that. Logic really has little to do with these kind of things.

Anyway, didn't mean to really offend anyone, and not interested in a big debate about this stuff which I know I can't win anyway. So last word from me.

I'm afraid you come across as intellectually confused. Just how can preventing people from carrying guns onto a plane NOT increase everyone's security? And how has our security NOT been improved in the last ten years compared to the lax security of the 70's through to 2001.

As to Steve, I doubt any of it happened but if it did then then the Japanese security guy was right. But it is likely all just fiction.

post #145 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

He intended never to return to Japan. But then he hijacked his own plane, kidnapped himself, and took himself back to Japan by force. A tense standoff between SWAT teams and throwing stars ensued.

Love this, nagromme!

post #146 of 151
Just don't hold the ninja stars that way.
post #147 of 151
Clearly the story is full of trash media spin. Although given the fact that Kansai doesn't not have separate private and communal plane areas, what the security did was understandable. Otherwise on a private jet of that calibre, SJ could have just smashed a glass champagne bottle to threaten his own pilot and "hijack" the plane. Better still, he can just instruct his pilot to fly wherever he wanted from his comfort chair.
post #148 of 151
Quote:

No truer words in this thread.
post #149 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman;

Visit AI for the latest NON Apple News... CHECK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo;

Steve to security guy: "You're holding it wrong."

One of the only few worthwhile posts in this entire thread.
post #150 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland;

LoL nice
post #151 of 151
If Apple decided to make a throwing star, it might look like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKYQ9UV7CU4
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple debunks bogus story of Steve Jobs' throwing star troubles [u]