or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac launches with 80 new features

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac launches with 80 new features - Page 2

post #41 of 42
The performance issue is an interesting one since people and companies bat it back and forth with all sorts of claims and justifications. The truth is that each of the two behave differently depending on what you use them for.

I run a full development environment along with databases so performance is definitely a must for me. When Fusion 3 was released I was hopeful for great performance improvements but when I did a testing of the two Parallels V5 was faster, used less disk space, and integrated better. At that time VMWare was playing a bit of a price game as well which all in all pushed me back to Parallels.

Now VMWare is pushing their performance under 3.1 and with a hit against Parallels that
Quote:
The nice folks over at Parallels talk about their many extra features like PC backup and PC partition management. We here on the VMware Fusion Team don't want to bring your PC experience over to the Mac; after all, that's why you left your PC behind.

What VMWare does not appear to get is that we would love to leave the PC behind but we can't, that is why we have purchased a VM! As such being able to manage those PC environments is vital to keeping them working.

With Parallels I am not happy with the price of upgrade either and that will play a role in my decision making. It would be most helpful if there were some real comparisons from independent sources published, rather than the little snippets that the companies release to us. I would like to see the full story with details on what was tested and how.
post #42 of 42
ok, i said i was tired of paying for upgrades, but after a few drinks tonight I decided to buy the upgrade.

Let me say this bluntly: WHAT A FUCKING DISASTER.

It upgraded then installed the parallels tools...without ETHERNET. No fix, won't install no matter what in Windows XP Pro.

I'm an idiot to think they'd have anything better than a beta for version 6 running today.

Downgraded to 5, very pissed and out $49.99.

What a waste of my time. I knew better but upgraded like an idiot for the 4th time.

EDIT: it screwed up my XP installation.... I'm currently restoring from windows home server backup from this morning. unbelievable.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac launches with 80 new features