or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad sales to expand to all Best Buy U.S. stores Sept. 26
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad sales to expand to all Best Buy U.S. stores Sept. 26

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Availability of the iPad will expand to all of Best Buy's U.S. stores on Sept. 26, amounting to 1,093 of the company's nationwide retail locations selling Apple's device.

Best Buy announced the expansion on Tuesday, the same day that the company revealed its strong quarterly earnings. Those sales were buoyed by demand for devices like the iPad, the company said.

The iPad was available at Best Buy when the device launched earlier this year, though it was limited to 673 retail stores with Apple Shop locations. Now, All 1,093 stores in the U.S. will carry both the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G models on Sept. 26.

"Technology is becoming more and more personal, and our customers say they really value visiting a Best Buy store to touch and try the iPad for themselves," said Wendy Fritz, senior vice president of computing at Best Buy. "Were delighted that well soon make that opportunity available to everyone whod like to come see us, and experience this device in any Best Buy store nationwide."

Best Buy officials indicated that stores experienced "constrained inventory" when the iPad launched earlier this year. But with supply issues apparently alleviated, Chief Executive Brian Dunn anticipates that the iPad, along with other tablet devices, will be "big for us during the holidays.

In addition to selling the iPad, Best Buy stores will also carry a range of accessories for Apple's touchscreen tablet.



Apple is also rumored to make the iPad available for sale at Target in the coming weeks, as recent evidence has suggested the device could see a launch in stores on Oct. 3. Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.

Expansion to more retail outlets has likely been made possible by improved supplies. Recently, iPad shipping times on Apple's website improved to 24 hours, a major improvement from earlier this year, when shipping times were measured in weeks and many stores were completely sold out.
post #2 of 28
This kinda makes that whole new iPad before the holidays rumor a little less convincing
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Reply
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Reply
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

This kinda makes that whole new iPad before the holidays rumor a little less convincing

No kidding. If everybody keeps buying the current model, we'll never see an iPad with integrated camera.
post #4 of 28
So the iPad sales momentum has not slowed down.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

So the iPad sales momentum has not slowed down.

Maybe it would slow down, if not for efforts like that described. Apple seems to not like to introduce updated models more often than every 9-12 months. Expanding to BestBuy helps stave off the need to introduce the iPad with camera in order to maintain a satisfactory sales pace.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

So the iPad sales momentum has not slowed down.

Correct.

Apple's partners are manufacturing more, they are selling more, there are more points of distribution and the international rollout still isn't complete.

They will sell more iPads in the last three months of this year than the first three months of the product's availability.
post #7 of 28
Does Best Buy do a credible job selling Macs?
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Does Best Buy do a credible job selling Macs?

Doesn't matter relative to the iPad; it is amazing how well the iPad really sells itself. The strangest people look longingly at it when I am in a meeting or in the airport... Can't imagine it is much different in a BB store.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No kidding. If everybody keeps buying the current model, we'll never see an iPad with integrated camera.

Not according to Apple's history. They will kill a top product (both in selling and class) and replace it with something they see as better. e.g. the iPod Mini was the best selling player they had and didn't have much competition, yet they still killed it at it's peak with the nano.

They want to maintain the lead while they can, so it is possible they will have a product update by the end of the year. Personally, I'd like to see them be that aggressive with it. Not because I'd buy one, but it means they really want to push the form factor forward
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No kidding. If everybody keeps buying the current model, we'll never see an iPad with integrated camera.

Actually, this is the opposite of Apple's longtime behavior.

They will not cut price and continue to offer the same model. They have regular product refreshes and increase value by adding new features and functionality while holding prices pretty steady.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, this is the opposite of Apple's longtime behavior.

Actually, you're wrong. History shows Apple is just like any vendor. They will continue selling the same model as long as they can get away with it. Market conditions dictate when a change occurs.

The Kindle is coming to Best Buy. Is it just a coincidence the iPad is, too?
post #12 of 28
Nope, you are wrong. Read OriginalG's post above. That's just one example of Apple removing a top-selling product and replacing it with superior hardware.

Same with every single version of the iPhone. Same with every single version of the iPod touch. Regular refreshes of product lines with improved functionality.

The iPad has already been in Best Buy since very early in the launch. The plan to move it from assisted retail locations to the entire chain was probably forecasted in the original channel partner agreement, dependent on supply levels, general acceptance of the product in the marketplace, and the holiday sales period.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nope, you are wrong. Read OriginalG's post above. That's just one example of Apple removing a top-selling product and replacing it with superior hardware.

Same with every single version of the iPhone. Same with every single version of the iPod touch. Regular refreshes of product lines with improved functionality.

The iPad has already been in Best Buy since very early in the launch. The plan to move it from assisted retail locations to the entire chain was probably forecasted in the original channel partner agreement, dependent on supply levels, general acceptance of the product in the marketplace, and the holiday sales period.

Nope, you are wrong. All of the new product introductions are in response to changing market conditions. Without external market forces, Apple had little motivation to make any changes.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No kidding. If everybody keeps buying the current model, we'll never see an iPad with integrated camera.

Unless Apple simply has made sooo many that they now need to unload them (by selling at Target). Or maybe Walmart/Target will keep these models and Apple will sell a new one with camera (and otehr goodies) excusively?
Nah...
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Nope, you are wrong. All of the new product introductions are in response to changing market conditions. Without external market forces, Apple had little motivation to make any changes.

Interesting how those market forces only happens in Jun for the iPhone and Sept for iPods.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Interesting how those market forces only happens in Jun for the iPhone and Sept for iPods.

Yep, that's because market forces are Gemini and Virgo!
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Interesting how those market forces only happens in Jun for the iPhone and Sept for iPods.

lol agree 100%

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Availability of the iPad will expand to all of Best Buy's U.S. stores on Sept. 26, amounting to 1,093 of the company's nationwide retail locations selling Apple's device.

(...)

Apple is also rumored to make the iPad available for sale at Target in the coming weeks, as recent evidence has suggested the device could see a launch in stores on Oct. 3. Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.

Nothing about Radio Shack?
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Maybe it would slow down, if not for efforts like that described...... Expanding to BestBuy helps stave off the need to introduce the iPad with camera in order to maintain a satisfactory sales pace.

Please, FFS everyone please stop spreading this utter nonsense.

There is no slowdown, there is no need to "stave off" anything. iPad has reach supply-demand balance in ONLY THE FEW COUNTRIES IT HAS CURRENTLY LAUNCHED IN. The international rollout has not even really taken place in any fashion and demand is massive. There are no iPads officially available in many of the major or minor Mac and iPhone markets. There is no demand slowdown, there is no loss of momentum. If you truly want to understand what is going on with Apple products you must look at things globally.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Does Best Buy do a credible job selling Macs?

I bought my last iMac from Best Buy and was very happy with them. The chap I dealt with was knowledgeable and they had what I wanted in stock. Couldn't have asked for more really.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

Apple's partners are manufacturing more, they are selling more, there are more points of distribution and the international rollout still isn't complete.

They will sell more iPads in the last three months of this year than the first three months of the product's availability.

Thank you... At least *some* people get it.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Please, FFS everyone please stop spreading this utter nonsense.

There is no slowdown, there is no need to "stave off" anything. iPad has reach supply-demand balance in ONLY THE FEW COUNTRIES IT HAS CURRENTLY LAUNCHED IN. The international rollout has not even really taken place in any fashion and demand is massive. There are no iPads officially available in many of the major or minor Mac and iPhone markets. There is no demand slowdown, there is no loss of momentum. If you truly want to understand what is going on with Apple products you must look at things globally.

It does amaze me that they still have not been able to launch it in all their international markets. The iPad continues to blow me away. From something that I though, meh, when I saw the keynote, to something I wanted when I first used one, to something that seems better every time I use it, this thing is going to keep rolling and rolling. Having had multiple people buy them after using mine, the more they sell, the more demand they will see.

I was skeptical after the keynote, but Apple really do seem to have hit the jackpot here.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Does Best Buy do a credible job selling Macs?

YES I DO...we love selling Macs...they are an unbelievable part of our computer department

since getting the Apple Boutique I have expanded the department by twice it's size since February 1st...between expanded number of Mac sales and the iPad we are doing amazing

and to me if I had known what Best Buy does with the Black Tie Protection that I can't get from AppleCare...Accidental coverage is a godsend...as it is no one is allowed near my MacBook Pro...because if something happens to it...I am screwed...I don't worry much about the mechanics of the MacBook Pro but I do worry about other elements in the world destroying it and me having to pay to get it fixed isn't fun

Best Buy is a major player in the Apple scene...and before you all start attacking me for saying this...just think how different the Apple demographic would be if it were not for the Apple Boutiques in your local Best Buy...where you can see the difference hands on between a PC and a Mac...

some guy today was telling his friend about this monitor...but it was the iMac 27" and I corrected him that it wasnt a monitor it was a computer...and he started looking for the Tower...and I said there wasnt one...just one cable comes off the back to plug in the wall...and his mouth dropped to the floor and was so amazed...this is something that would not have happened if there wasnt an Apple Boutique in my store

I love showing people the world of Apple...and watching them enjoy the turmoil over what they expected to want when they came in and what they really wanted now...that shinny new Mac
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Nope, you are wrong. All of the new product introductions are in response to changing market conditions. Without external market forces, Apple had little motivation to make any changes.

Nah, Apple basically has no competition right now for the iPad.

For years, they have had practically zero competition in the PMP space. They dominate the MP3 player space. There is nothing that really competes with the iPod touch, not even Zune HD (which is marketed in one country and has minimal sales).

NasserAE's comments are particularly amusing as they illustrate the fact that Apple has taken a release schedule that is completely based on their own convenience and has nothing to do with market forces.

You still haven't figured it out, nor do I expect you to.
post #25 of 28
Well done mate. Can you comment on iPad sales so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by now4real954 View Post

YES I DO...we love selling Macs...they are an unbelievable part of our computer department

since getting the Apple Boutique I have expanded the department by twice it's size since February 1st...between expanded number of Mac sales and the iPad we are doing amazing

and to me if I had known what Best Buy does with the Black Tie Protection that I can't get from AppleCare...Accidental coverage is a godsend...as it is no one is allowed near my MacBook Pro...because if something happens to it...I am screwed...I don't worry much about the mechanics of the MacBook Pro but I do worry about other elements in the world destroying it and me having to pay to get it fixed isn't fun

Best Buy is a major player in the Apple scene...and before you all start attacking me for saying this...just think how different the Apple demographic would be if it were not for the Apple Boutiques in your local Best Buy...where you can see the difference hands on between a PC and a Mac...

some guy today was telling his friend about this monitor...but it was the iMac 27" and I corrected him that it wasn’t a monitor it was a computer...and he started looking for the Tower...and I said there wasn’t one...just one cable comes off the back to plug in the wall...and his mouth dropped to the floor and was so amazed...this is something that would not have happened if there wasn’t an Apple Boutique in my store

I love showing people the world of Apple...and watching them enjoy the turmoil over what they expected to want when they came in and what they really wanted now...that shinny new Mac
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It does amaze me that they still have not been able to launch it in all their international markets.

Not only that. If you check iPad page at Apple you'll find the keyboard doesn't support as many language as iPhone or iPod Touch.

So... more countries Apple... more countries.
post #27 of 28
Fry's Electronics started selling the iPad on Monday as well.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

Apple's partners are manufacturing more, they are selling more, there are more points of distribution and the international rollout still isn't complete.

They will sell more iPads in the last three months of this year than the first three months of the product's availability.

The prediction is that they will sell more in the last 3 months of the year than the first 5 or maybe 6.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad sales to expand to all Best Buy U.S. stores Sept. 26