or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple releases beta of iOS 4.2 with support for AirPrint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases beta of iOS 4.2 with support for AirPrint

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday released the first beta version of iOS 4.2 with AirPrint, the name for its wireless printing standard for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, to members of its iOS development community.

The company also announced existing and upcoming ePrint enabled printers from HP will support direct printing from iOS devices. AirPrint will be integrated in iOS 4.2, set for release this November for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

"AirPrint is Apples powerful new printing architecture that matches the simplicity of iOSno set up, no configuration, no printer drivers and no software to download," said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to an HP ePrint printer or to a printer shared on a Mac or PC."

AirPrint will automatically find printers on local networks, and can allow users of iOS devices to print text, photos and graphics directly to them over Wi-Fi, without the need to install drivers or download software. Apple said it is designed to support a "wide range of printers from entry level inkjet printers to office laser printers."

In addition, devices running iOS 4.2 can send content to printers shared through a Mac or PC.

HP will have a number of compatible printers available this fall, including the HP Photosmart, Officejet, Officejet Pro and LaserJet Pro series of ePrint entabled printers. AirPrint will work on the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch, second generation and later.

"Were pleased to work with Apple to bring Apples AirPrint to our fall lineup of ePrint printers in time for the holiday shopping season," said Vyomesh Joshi, HP executive vice president, Imaging and Printing Group. "Making it easy for our customers to print anytime, anywhere, is a key priority for HP. iPad, iPhone and iPod touch customers are going to love how easy it is to print using our new range of ePrint printers, creating high-quality printed pages in an instant."
post #2 of 60
What's really needed now are mobile printers with AirPrint support.
post #3 of 60
Nice for Apple and HP to work together.. Makes the iPad a step more productive.
post #4 of 60
I wonder if Airport connected devices will automatically work? Airport is basically acting as a network print server, so it should be feasible.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #5 of 60
So I'm confused.
Will I be able to print from my iPhone or iPad to any networked printer, or does it have to be a new printer (such as the HP models mentioned) that specifically support it?
post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I wonder if Airport connected devices will automatically work? Airport is basically acting as a network print server, so it should be feasible.

I would think not. Mac/PC shared printers have the drivers installed on the "server" (the Mac or PC), but for a network printer, you still need the drivers, unless it supports AirPrint.
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So I'm confused.
Will I be able to print from my iPhone or iPad to any networked printer, or does it have to be a new printer (such as the HP models mentioned) that specifically support it?

That's my question too. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I also wonder how the heck they support a wide range of printers with no added drivers.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #8 of 60
"iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to an HP ePrint printer or to a printer shared on a Mac or PC."
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #9 of 60
I wonder if a similar set up will be forth coming with Canon, not to mention Epson.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #10 of 60
I have an HP Photosmart Premium (C309g) that works great with the HP ePrint iPhone application. Does this mean that it is an "ePrint" enabled printer that will work with AirPrint out of the box?
post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

"iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to an HP ePrint printer or to a printer shared on a Mac or PC."

That last part would also include a printer sitting an Airport Extreme too I hope
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #12 of 60
Will this require some sort of server program running on a computer? Or is it gonna be like AirPlay and need specific printers?
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Reply
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Reply
post #13 of 60
How about printers with built-in WiFi like my Samsung 2525W?

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That last part would also include a printer sitting an Airport Extreme too I hope

I don't use the Airport base stations, but unless you actually install the printer drivers on them, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

Will this require some sort of server program running on a computer? Or is it gonna be like AirPlay and need specific printers?

It sounds like it needs some sort of support on the desktop, thus the requirement for the latest SL beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

How about printers with built-in WiFi like my Samsung 2525W?

Probably not.
post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

Will this require some sort of server program running on a computer? Or is it gonna be like AirPlay and need specific printers?

Printers shared via a mac or pc should work.
post #16 of 60
Does this beta need the device to be activated as a dev device? I know the GMs don't usually, just wanna know if I need to invoke my dev friend.
post #17 of 60
I'm not sure how to share a network printer on Mac. It can be done on Windows, therefore the shared printer does not necessarily have to be directly connected to the PC. I always liked the ability to print to a printer on the Internet with an IP address. But that would require drivers on the iPad so that's not going to work either.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #18 of 60
Using "print magic" on my iPhone now my phone can see any printer on a connected wifi network that my Macbook can, and print to it. I would assume that it's using Bonjour and Apple's own solution may leverage it as well.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I would think not. Mac/PC shared printers have the drivers installed on the "server" (the Mac or PC), but for a network printer, you still need the drivers, unless it supports AirPrint.

With an airport printer, the Mac/PC are not the server, they are the client and the Airport is the print server. Yes, the client workstations have client side drivers, but in a traditional print server environment, so does the server. From a Windows perspective, the printing app talks to the client-side driver, which talks to the local spooler. The local spooler talks to the remote spooler on the print server through RPC calls, which uses the server-side print driver to do the printing. This is something I am unsure of with an Airport setup. I expect the airport has to have some print driver, though it is unlikely to have device specific drivers. I expect it will be some generic print driver, like the HP universal for PCL. If this is the case, the I expect it would be feasible for AirPrint to work with almost any Airport connected printer. It is all done over Bonjour with Airport printers.

The HP models mentioned in the announcement as working with AirPrint are likely models that support direct printing from iDevices, with no print server intermediary. Throw in a print server, like Airport, that itself can already (obviously) print to the connect printer and I expect almost any Airport connected printer should work, with necessary support put in place in a Airport update. Some exceptions, like printers that use interactive drivers (damn you Kodak!) might not work without proprietary client side drivers, which will not fly with the proposed Airprint model.

Edit:
Sorry, I see now you were talking about the part about printing from an iOS device to a printer shared from a Mac/PC, while I was looking at the Mac/PCs as examples of print clients that print to an Airport print server. But, the premise still stands: those Macs and PCs can print to an Airport connected printer, through Bonjour, with the Airport acting as print server. This is the same as a Mac or PC printing to a printer shared out from another Mac or PC over Bonjour. The Airport basestation and the mac/PC that is physically connected to the printer are acting as print servers. If a Mac/PC can print using a generic print driver to a printer connected to an Airport or another Mac/PC, then iOS should be able to as well, with an update to the Airport software.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #20 of 60
Apples website says iPhone 3G gets no love...
iPad Wi-Fi / 16 GB
iPhone 4G / Black / 16 GB
iPod Nano 4G, 8GB, (Product) Red (For Nike+)
Unibody MacBook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD (Early 09)
Reply
iPad Wi-Fi / 16 GB
iPhone 4G / Black / 16 GB
iPod Nano 4G, 8GB, (Product) Red (For Nike+)
Unibody MacBook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD (Early 09)
Reply
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't use the Airport base stations

Heretic! What sort of fanatical Apple cultist are you?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #22 of 60
I would also assume it would work with printers connected to Linux?

Also, I remember using this on my old Palm: http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbprem.htm
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #23 of 60
AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) and Time Capsule (TC) are becoming 3rd citizens. Based on the information available so far, neither AirPlay nor AirPrint will recognize disks and printers connected to AEBS and TC.

Perhaps firmware update will bring these peripherals up to speed, but I suspect we'll see another hardware update to AEBS and TC, or entirely new version with beefier CPU and features.
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

With an airport printer, the Mac/PC are not the server, they are the client and the Airport is the print server. Yes, the client workstations have client side drivers, but in a traditional print server environment, so does the server. From a Windows perspective, the printing app talks to the client-side driver, which talks to the local spooler. The local spooler talks to the remote spooler on the print server through RPC calls, which uses the server-side print driver to do the printing. This is something I am unsure of with an Airport setup. I expect the airport has to have some print driver, though it is unlikely to have device specific drivers. I expect it will be some generic print driver, like the HP universal for PCL. If this is the case, the I expect it would be feasible for AirPrint to work with almost any Airport connected printer. It is all done over Bonjour with Airport printers.

The HP models mentioned in the announcement as working with AirPrint are likely models that support direct printing from iDevices, with no print server intermediary. Throw in a print server, like Airport, that itself can already (obviously) print to the connect printer and I expect almost any Airport connected printer should work, with necessary support put in place in a Airport update. Some exceptions, like printers that use interactive drivers (damn you Kodak!) might not work without proprietary client side drivers, which will not fly with the proposed Airprint model.

I was writing about printers shared from Macs and PCs, where the Mac or PC acts as a print server. I think, based on the wording I've seen describing AirPrint so far, which has been sparse, that this will require either some sort of "server" that supports AirPrint, or a printer with support built-in. So, a simple network connected printer doesn't seem like it's going to work. If an AirPort base station acts like a print server, then it could possibly work, but would probably require a firmware update. If it acts simply as a network interface for the printer, probably not.
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Heretic! What sort of fanatical Apple cultist are you?

The Giordano Bruno kind.
post #26 of 60
I am updating my iPad 3G now...

The Mac OS X download will take another 24 minutes.

The 4.2 SDK download will take over 4 more hours.

It will be interesting to see how far I can get without the OS X update, and the SDK update.

I have a HP Deskjet 5700 on an AEX. I can print to it from the iPad using PrintBureau.


I'll post whenever I find out anything!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #27 of 60
When do we get AirScan? If someone gives me a sheet of paper, I'd rather scan it and throw it out.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

When do we get AirScan?

I want AirSync.
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

When do we get AirScan? If someone gives me a sheet of paper, I'd rather scan it and throw it out.

The iPhone has had that feature for some time now.
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That's my question too. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I also wonder how the heck they support a wide range of printers with no added drivers.

This is looking proprietary to me, with partners coming on board to support each others products, which is a little bit sad.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is looking proprietary to me, with partners coming on board to support each others products, which is a little bit sad.

I'm not seeing that. The wording is a bit vague, but it sounds like it's meant to support any networked printer. I can't see much value in the feature if it applies only to a very limited class of printers.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm not seeing that. The wording is a bit vague, but it sounds like it's meant to support any networked printer. I can't see much value in the feature if it applies only to a very limited class of printers.

I cant find any info on AirPrint being usable in other mobile devices or any other vendor other than HP, which appear to be working with Apple to get this new architecture working between devices. If it was an open source project wouldnt it at least be stated as such the way they announced FaceTime as being open source during the iPhone 4 demo?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 60
The iPad has a lot of apps and videos, so I stopped the sync & tried to print from mail...

It couldn't find the printer...

I didn't see any settings for print!

I resumed the sync and will investigate further.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I cant find any info on AirPrint being usable in other mobile devices or any other vendor other than HP, which appear to be working with Apple to get this new architecture working between devices. If it was an open source project wouldnt it at least be stated as such the way they announced FaceTime as being open source during the iPhone 4 demo?

I doubt that it'll ever be open source. But, I imagine that Apple is more than willing to work with other printer manufacturers.
post #35 of 60
.

The way I understand printing, for this beta:

1) You can print wirelessly to selected supported HP printers.

2) Or, with the Mac OS X update, you can print to any shared printer on your Mac.

3) Or, you can print to a "printer simulator"

I suspect the latter is part of the new SDK, and may or may not print to an actual printer.


I have about 1/2 hour before I can install the SDK and update OS X.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #36 of 60
Can someone please that has installed 4.2 confirm the languages available (for UI).

Since production is up maybe Apple will expand the availability in more countries.
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I cant find any info on AirPrint being usable in other mobile devices or any other vendor other than HP, which appear to be working with Apple to get this new architecture working between devices. If it was an open source project wouldnt it at least be stated as such the way they announced FaceTime as being open source during the iPhone 4 demo?

on whether Apple is implementing this using the Bonjour code - a hybrid, or a new code implementation for print services. HP was early in supporting Bonjour printing for Apple as a standard, with the rest of the printer makers slowly adding that in, so there could be some capacity there that is simply unannounced until they get it out of this version of beta. Given their previous work with Apple - HP would be a logical choice to partner with early on in the dev cycle. And yes - this wasn't announced as "open source"(TM), but could be another set of open standards that Apple will publish widely once refined to the correct level. And they would want to get this out there before HP builds out their first WebOS-driven tablets. The other PC makers have learned to anticipate Apple's incremental approach to adding features into devices, and will become more adept at anticipating them and speaking to them in their own releases. I mean even sheep get smarter around herding dogs over time. It requires Apple to stay nimble and agile in their development.
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am updating my iPad 3G now...

The Mac OS X download will take another 24 minutes.

The 4.2 SDK download will take over 4 more hours.

It will be interesting to see how far I can get without the OS X update, and the SDK update.

I have a HP Deskjet 5700 on an AEX. I can print to it from the iPad using PrintBureau.


I'll post whenever I find out anything!

.

Hey is it possible you can add my ip4 to your dev account? thank you
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

on whether Apple is implementing this using the Bonjour code - a hybrid, or a new code implementation for print services. HP was early in supporting Bonjour printing for Apple as a standard, with the rest of the printer makers slowly adding that in, so there could be some capacity there that is simply unannounced until they get it out of this version of beta. Given their previous work with Apple - HP would be a logical choice to partner with early on in the dev cycle. And yes - this wasn't announced as "open source"(TM), but could be another set of open standards that Apple will publish widely once refined to the correct level. And they would want to get this out there before HP builds out their first WebOS-driven tablets. The other PC makers have learned to anticipate Apple's incremental approach to adding features into devices, and will become more adept at anticipating them and speaking to them in their own releases. I mean even sheep get smarter around herding dogs over time. It requires Apple to stay nimble and agile in their development.

I look forward to the print feature. Although I probably would not use it that much, but when you need to print, you need it and I always seem to need right away.

Just curious - does android native print? Or is it in the app department? I guess what Im asking, is AirPrint and AirPlay etc really different than whats out there(and I do not know what that is), or just spiffed up existing stuff with some Apple marketing to it?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The Giordano Bruno kind.

Ha!
Thanks for that. The Giordano Bruno reference made my afternoon a bit brighter.
(I'm sure most had to look it up on the wiki.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple releases beta of iOS 4.2 with support for AirPrint