or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Inside AirPrint wireless printing with Apple's iOS 4.2

Inside AirPrint wireless printing with Apple's iOS 4.2 - Page 2

post #41 of 47
That makes sense I guess. In the age of the internet download, printer drivers have never really bothered me.

I heard at a recent show that HP is coming out with a new tabloid office printer this fall.
Hope it's iOS ready, my old Canon is failing.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That makes sense I guess. In the age of the internet download, printer drivers have never really bothered me.

I heard at a recent show that HP is coming out with a new tabloid office printer this fall.
Hope it's iOS ready, my old Canon is failing.

The problem being for a device like the iPad or iPhone, where storage space is constrained, either having the full multi-gig roster of stock drivers or waiting to dl and install a driver every time you want to print are pretty much non-starters.

Sure, you could dl "your" print driver once, but the nature of fully mobile devices is such that being able to print to whatever's in the air is highly desirable.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

And you thought otherwise of a beta OS on both platforms?

Nope. Can I still voice my experiences and maybe shed some light on issues and solutions? Thx. ... After restoring the iPad instead of updating (the update, apart from printing, seemed quite okay), the iPad prints just fine on my Brother DCP-7010L through iOS 4.2b1 and the 10.6.5 beta that was issued with it. So there might be some problem regarding updating, but printing seems to work just fine using a shared printer on a 10.6.5 system if the iPad's OS is clean-installed. (I've only tested printing an e-mail message right now, but I guess other apps that already support printing will do fine as well...)
post #44 of 47
It appears that last week HP released an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax - the 7500A - that prints to tabloid-size paper and has new wireless capabilities. Didn't see any word in the spec sheet about AirPrint.

But neither MacWorld nor Engadget seems to have heard of this printer. Weird.
post #45 of 47
It seems like the Airport Express and Airport Base Station firmware should be updated to allow AirPrint to work with connected printers.
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

One question I would love to see answered is if AirPrint functionality can be implemented as a firmware upgrade on existing network capable printers.

The more pressing question is "will they" upgrade if it's possible. They should, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear they don't. Which will suck.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #47 of 47
Here's a little document on how to configure CUPs and AVAHI to broadcast printers for Airprint Support.

http://www.rho.cc/index.php/linux2/4...print-via-cups
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Inside AirPrint wireless printing with Apple's iOS 4.2