or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17% - Page 4

post #121 of 361
What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.
post #122 of 361
I think many of you are missing the bigger picture. Apple does not care about market share, nor is it in compitition in a sence with android. Apple is in business for one reason, and that is to make money. Apple is turning huge profits, best it has seen, and these profits will continue to grow for the next few years. When they start to lose money then you will see some serious changes in their structure.

anyway my 2 cents
post #123 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

These stats are shite!

(-1.8)+(-1.3)+(-2.2)+5.0 = 0.3, so where is that 0.3% then, seeing as the change column should sum up to zero?

And the sum of the total phones sold the month BEFORE the iPhone 4 was released is 96.8%. If your going to appear transparent at least show an other OS row :P

Anyway, these are worthless as an indicator, because everyone knew the iPhone 4 was coming out, so they waited. These stats are US only too, so crap! Let's see what the month on Aug-2010 holds, then we'll have something to talk about.

The figures quoted are to 1 decimal place, so they will be rounded up / down. Also, table only shows top 5, I guess Symbian or Nokia (depending on whether this table is OS platform or manufacturer) would by sixth.
post #124 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

Apple's market share may be decreasing, but the absolute number of iPhones that Apple is selling every month is growing rapidly. Apple has never been about the market share. They don't care about the market share. What is important is the size of the profit margin that Apple is able to pocket from every iPhone they are selling, not the number of iPhones they are selling. Apple could lower the price of the iPhone by 40% and still make some money. This would boost their market share dramatically, but this would decrease the profits and would negatively affect the stock. As a share holder, I do not care about the current market share that the iPhone holds. What I care about is that Apple continues to post record revenue and record profit numbers every quarter.

Android, by the way, is not "selling" anything - it is free. Various hardware manufacturers that use Android as a platform are selling their hardware. None of them is selling more smart phones than Apple is selling. Android is creating a monster with their fragmentation of the OS. They are allowing various smart phone manufacturers to run discrete User Interfaces on top of the stock Android OS. Therefore, from the user perspective, we should be speaking of Androids not the Android. At the same time, Google is trying to make money on Android by pushing adds to user phones. Why would anyone want to have a semi-functional device with horrible battery life, mediocre apps, and at the same time volunteer to be subjected to incessant ads for the same price that one could get an iPhone is beyond me.

If you can jailbreak your iPhone, you get the best of two worlds - a very tightly integrated OS, best mobile apps on the market, and the ability to go beyond what Steve Jobs thinks you should be allowed to do on your iPhone. However, for 95% of smart phone users, the stock iPhone (without a jailbreak) is a perfect smart phone. Once the iPhone goes CDMA, only masochists will be getting an Android phone if the price of the iPhone is the same as an Android phone. Smart phone manufacturers that chose Android as their platform will have to give away their phones, hoping to recoup the manufacturing costs via carriers sharing revenue from subscription services. Apple, on the other hand, can continue pocketing 45% profit margin off every iPhone they are selling.

googles not pushing adds to anyones phone right now. So thats nothing more then a rumor... and we now how rumors are around here... so ... and um my device is very functional? and my battery lasts longer then my fathers iphone 4. so many fan boys here that dont know anything...
post #125 of 361
As I noted previously, I believe for all practical purposes all that will remain will be Android and iOS... Android representing the floor and middle, iOS retaining the high-end.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #126 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.

THANK YOU.
I am an apple fan.. i just don't have or want an Iphone 4. All this is very annoying.
post #127 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Whatever the tech community is - I don't think it's opinion plays any role whatsoever in the commercial success of the platforms in the consumer market.

Consumers look for choice, solutions and quality. They don't consider philosophical issues.

Android will sell well because its a good platform. But it is not a company.

Just as as with Windows, Android manufacturers realise that when you outsource your software development to another company, your product inevitably becomes a commodity. Making a profit on commodity hardware is very difficult.

C.

If developers like a platform, they will develop for it. This increases the appeal of the device to customers. This leads to increased sales of the product for which the development was done. This is a second order effect, not a first order effect as you seemed to assume.
post #128 of 361
It is CRITICAL for Google and partners to churn out an ocean of devices at different price points, catering to different needs, in a multitude of OS/hardware combinations in order to compete with Apple's ONE (at most, two) phone running on ONE carrier in the US. Since Google has no single "iPhone killer", it's absolutely vital they flood the market with VOLUME in order to make up for the lack of quality in Android and Android devices in general.

Google doesn't have what it takes to do what Apple does. And the reason is simple: Google doesn't think, create and act like Apple.
post #129 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I disagree...the self proclaimed tech savvy know that there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device.

There, I fixed it for you.
post #130 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I think that there is at least one more type of Android user. I think that people who desire a cool pocket computer, rather than a simple appliance, are natural customers.

I have to agree.
I own mac products... my android phone was no cheaper then the current iphone and its not cheaply made.....and i dont want an iphone. so where does that leave me?
post #131 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Google doesn't have what it takes to do what Apple does. And the reason is simple: Google doesn't think, create and act like Apple.

Something that cannot be emphasized too much. Apple is essentially a creative company, Google a destructive company. Apple creates revolutionary devices and paradigms, while Google copies and attempts to succeed by undermining competitors, rather than the strength of it's own efforts. Google are like the barbarians at the gates, unable to create their own rich civilization, their only goal is to plunder that of others.
post #132 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

I have to agree.
I own mac products... my android phone was no cheaper then the current iphone and its not cheaply made.....and i dont want an iphone. so where does that leave me?

Stuck with an inferior phone.
post #133 of 361
While it might have been said before, doesn't anyone else find it oddly interesting that all of these reports where Apple is showing such a decline in numbers and android is showing such an increase are all reporting on THE LAST 3 MONTHS of the iPhone 3Gs lifecycle?

I mean, I'm not arguing that Android isn't making up some ground... I'm sure they are. The'd have to be given the fact that vendors can distribute their phones without paying a dime for the work that went into it, not to mention the sheer number of different manufacturers all with their own devices all with their own AD campaigns, etc and lastly the fact that in the US (by Apples own choice) have limited their sales to just over 1/4 (I think) of the entire US market?

Link: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...r_Market_Share

US: 262.7M total US cellular subscribers.

AT&T: 25.2%

Sure... Given the iPhone 3Gs was ELO and the entire world (free and/or otherwise) knew that the iPhone 4 was gonna ship this summer combined with Apples unwillingness (or inability due to existing contracts) to sell to the other 3/4ths of the US market. Yes Android numbers are taking off. My gosh, if they didn't grow their numbers given all of the above they had going for it... I'd be laughing my ass off.

- Competition IS good and I'd never wanna see Google go away because I think Apple would make some really bad decisions if it was left with it's own devices WRT ruling the cellular world.

Now what I find most pathetic is this...

The cell phone industry had it's cake taken away from it.... Not just ONCE with the iPhone but then AGAIN after Google rolled out their iPhone clone OS. Oh and make no mistake, the Android WAS and IS a direct ripoff of Apples iPhone. Just look at what Android was supposed to look like PRIOR to the Google stealing the iPhone look/feel and operations and graft it on top of what they that was a good UI.



After all, prior to the iPhone turning into the runaway success the RIM Blackberry were the guys to copy all the great ideas from... And as the photo above shows Google had NO shame in stealing RIMS look and feel. The fact is Google has ZERO ideas of their own and their blatant copying of first RIM and then Apple all but confirms it. A simple look at the Google web site and its services screams out how untalented they are in that department and yet we are to believe Google came up with the Android look and feel all by themselves (TWICE?) once with something remarkably similar to a Blackberry and then again where it scrapped that design entirly and now had a device that looked remarkably like the iPhone.

Sure I guess I can see that?!?!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #134 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I agree. Apple's strategy is based on monopoly and early lead, the same strategy used 25 years ago for the Mac. Windows 95 crushed Apple once and Android is poised to do the same in the smartphone market. Alas.

At best, Apple's strategy can only lead to an early success followed by a downfall to a 5% world market share. Some people never learn. Greed and supersized egos. Alas.


\\\

Market Cap Overview:

AAPL: 247.84B
MSFT: 217.12B
GOOG: 153.33B

Apple, Inc., will be just fine.
post #135 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by joindup View Post

We just develop for those platforms clients ask us for. Currently, for Apps, we get:

iOS = 85% of client enquiries
Android = 10% of client enquiries
Win Phone 7 = 5% of client enquiries

I went to a mobile dev conference recently in the UK.
And that was very much the same message.

iPhone was making up 80-90% of the revenues.

It was only worth porting to other platforms for very successful titles, or when someone else was paying.

C.
post #136 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

If developers like a platform, they will develop for it. This increases the appeal of the device to customers. This leads to increased sales of the product for which the development was done. This is a second order effect, not a first order effect as you seemed to assume.

But its clear that even when iPhone and Android have roughly equal market share, developers are earning much more from iPhone software. Trust me, developers follow the money.

Google favor give-away software, because they want advertising revenue.

As far as consumers are concerned all Android handsets are roughly equivalent. That means it's possible to switch brands, and this results in vendors competing aggressively on price.

The inevitable outcome is razor thin margins for handset makers. Just like with Windows clone makers. Lots of unit sales. But no one making any money.

C.
post #137 of 361
AGH, why did I click the un-ignore button?!?! LOL Newtron is now saying iPhone customers aren’t sophisticated. Gotta love those sophisticated Droid commercials targeted at those pimple-faced virgins who regulate their free time between masturbation and online roll-playing games. Also love those sophisticated apps for Android compared to the the iPhone. Only the unrefined would ever use an iPhone which makes me wonder why the expensive cars have docks for iPhones yet I’ve seen none for Android.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #138 of 361
One point, that seems lost amidst the frenzy, is that while Android may have gained market share (yet, I believe they don't actually possess any significant mind share, outside the class of supporters represented here), the actual numbers of iPhone, and particularly iOS, users are steadily increasing. So, while these market share numbers (and assuming for the sake of argument that they accurately reflect reality) appear to show iOS stagnating, in fact, the truth is quite the opposite.

Furthermore, Android supporters should be mindful of what they wish for. The "openness" of Android is an illusion, a fraud. What it is, and what it will increasingly become, is the tool for carriers to continue to control subscribers and milk them for every penny they can. Android, assuming it even survives the Oracle suit, which is doubtful, is not the open environment that will set you free. It is the tool by which carriers intend to control every aspect of your mobile existence, and, to the degree it is successful, they will likewise succeed in doing so.
post #139 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Apple Continued To Lose U.S. Marketshare Despite Spike From iPhone 4 Sales

http://moconews.net/article/419-appl...m-iphone-4-sa/

From the article:

You forgot to quote this:

Quote:
"the three months ended in July while Android’s share grew by an impressive five percentage points, reports ComScore."

3 Months study ending in July?!?!

May iPhone 4 rumors and then official device conformation start making their way around the web. All reports indicate a Summer release.
June (the first 26s days) the rumors just get more pronounced and everyone is confidant that the iPhone 3gs is gonna be EOLd.
June 27th, 28th, 29, and 30th. were the first tree days the iPhone 4 was made available for sale.
July the iPhone was on sale...

So lets get this straight... For May and 95% if June the only device people could buy was a (known to the world) EOL iPhone 3Gs and then in July the iPhone v4.0 was (constrained but) available. How many iPhone 3gs do you think Apple sold between May 1st and June 27th with everyone knowing the iPhone 4 was gonna be made available for sale (in the US and in just a handful of other countries) on June 27th?

I'd like to see a different set of numbers:

Jan - Mar
Apr - Jun
Jul - Sep (these are the numbers we need to be looking at)
Oct - Dec

Also, come to think about it... doesn't anyone else find it mildy curious that these studies all seem to use "May - Jul" as their window?

Does that mean they track sales in the following periods?

Feb - Apr
May - Jul (these are the numbers the report is based on)
Aug - Oct
Nov - Jan

That doesn't seem right...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #140 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

... Also, come to think about it... doesn't anyone else find it mildy curious that these studies all seem to use "May - July" as their window?

It's not curious at all, for exactly the reasons you give.
post #141 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes, haven't you heard? Android won, it's all over. Get rid of your iPhone 4 ASAP. It's worthless. Just like Macs, since they are at 5% or whatever.

*sob* It was nice while it lasted... Now it's a race to the bottom. Like $99 netbooks are the future of PCs

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #142 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

even if Apple adds more carriers, they still need to compete with the upcoming challenger named: Windows Phone. Afterwars comes Android 3.0 (Gingerbread). all this will happen way before Apple goes multicarrier.

Good luck, Apple.

Microsoft hasn't exactly proven that it can roll out compelling software in the phone market. I would expect a lot of hype from them, but not much substance just like with the Zune device.
post #143 of 361
They certainly haven't altered their Mac platform to drive pure overall numbers of devices. They seem content to sell the most high end devices and to grow that segment. If they made a bunch of cheap Macs, they would sell more of them and they haven't done it.

Are they taking the same approach with the iPhone. We don't care about selling the most as much as we care about selling the best/high end of the market?
post #144 of 361
I see lots of people with iPhone's but I can honestly say I haven't seen a single person with an Android phone. Maybe they are all hiding them. Somebody must be shifting lots of them.

Honestly have you seen the Android Marketplace? It looks so amateurish compared to the AppStore it's unbelievable.
post #145 of 361
This drop in market share brought to you by AT&T.
post #146 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I wonder how much apple cares about selling the most devices

Probably not all that much as long as they and their developers continue reaping most of the profits. They'll always be making the best phones and computers, and making the most money from them, which is all that really matters.
post #147 of 361
OMG, Apple is a complete failure. They're going out of business for sure, now!
post #148 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There, I fixed it for you.

of course yopu lumped yourself into which category?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #149 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As I noted previously, I believe for all practical purposes all that will remain will be Android and iOS... Android representing the floor and middle, iOS retaining the high-end.

Microsoft may be able to make a come back. If they do it will be at RIM's expense. Clearly the long term prospects for any of the OS vendors is the ecosystem. Right now Apple has the best, but Google and MS are also capable of developing a competitive ecosystem. RIM, not so much.

As long as Facebook and Twitter stay independent, any of those three smartphone platforms stands a chance to prosper.

As I said in another thread, MS should go head to head with RIM in the enterprise space and forget about the consumers until they kill off RIM, which should be doable.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #150 of 361
This is actually awesome. To be honest, I've been quite annoyed by the great unwashed that are buying up Macs and especially iPhones like crazy. Maybe now that Android phones and Android tablets is the new hip thing, they can all follow that pied piper.

Maybe we'll finally have some peace to enjoy the Mac and iOS and iPad and so on, without Apple being under huge, massive pressure to be "Number 1" in mobile phones -- part of this pressure led to antennagate (regardless of whether the hardware was not as expected or not).

Maybe we'll get our peace of mind back and Apple can focus on what they do best.

Maybe enough people will want Android stuff we can actually get physically officially available iPhone4 and iPad in, oh, the entire world, outside of the very, very few countries where it has launched.
post #151 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

but how many of those android users also own an iPod touch?

three types of android users:
Apple haters: They will never buy anything with a bitten apple logo.
Verizon subscribers: They want an iPhone but can't/won't switch to AT&T.
Cheapskates: They get sucked in to the BOGO deals & cheap hardware.

Oh please. You must have a very George Bush Jr. outlook of the world. With us or against us right?

I'm an Apple user (Mac), waiting for iPad 2 and still bought a Nexus One. There are things I love about Android and would want on a smartphone that the iPhone just can't/won't offer right now. Free navigation, widgets (I use FB, Google News and Weather, Astrid and Google Calendar everyday) and wifi hotspot functionality to name just three. Bring all that to the iPhone and I might consider switching.

That's not to say I think iOS is better or worse. It's just not good for me in the smartphone space. In the tablet space though, I think the iPad will rule for at least the next year for certain. We'll see what kind of competition Android puts up in 2011.
post #152 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

of course yopu lumped yourself into which category?

It's not for me to say.
post #153 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I'm an Apple user (Mac), waiting for iPad 2 and still bought a Nexus One. There are things I love about Android and would want on a smartphone that the iPhone just can't/won't offer right now. Free navigation, widgets (I use FB, Google News and Weather, Astrid and Google Calendar everyday) and wifi hotspot functionality to name just three. Bring all that to the iPhone and I might consider switching.

You're assuming that Android will be offering those things. Most likely, as the carriers exert more and more control over the platform, it will not.
post #154 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's not for me to say.

Then don't make that decision for me as well...lets just stick to the subject and leave the personalities and people out of it....too many times these dicussions turn to a personal nature and I hate that.....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #155 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.


Quoted for truth. And worth repeating. This is exactly how I feel. And I usually make the same recommendations. Any friends who won't fiddle too much with a phone I send straight to the Apple store. People who have the capacity to actually tolerate exploring a handset for more than a few minutes, I usually tell them to at least try playing with an Android device at Best Buy. And ultimately, I always help my friends get what's best for them regardless of my preferences.
post #156 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's not for me to say.

Ha Ha! Yesterday it was with the likes of Giordano Bruno.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #157 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Android is rising because Apple is letting Android rise. Those numbers/or percentage will soon change once Apple goes multi-carriers (USA) in the future.

More importantly they [Apple/carrier] need to (though I'm doubtful they will) offer a fully subsidized iPhone. That right I said Free* iPhone!




* With a 2 year contract
post #158 of 361
I really don't think that Apple is concerned with being the market share leader. Would be nice, but I think that keeping their margins healthy is more important. I also think that as the iPad gets into more people's hands it will move more people to the iPhone as it is doing with Macs. Being number 1 in sales is nice but it doesn't necessarily translate to great revenue, which is what is important to corporations and shareholders.
post #159 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Android is rising because Apple is letting Android rise. Those numbers/or percentage will soon change once Apple goes multi-carriers (USA) in the future.

Well, sure, Apple could rush out the gate with a very different iPhone for Verizon, but it makes sense to wait until they can release a universally compatible device. Technology has only recently provided the tools that might make this possible. And who knows the terms of their agreement with AT&T. That might have held them off until recently.

In any case, Android is rising because it is a successful OEM product which is appearing on all manner of fine and crappy devices. Any decline in marketshare for Apple at this point is not because Apple is losing sales, but rather because Android is selling more. No surprises there. We'll see some heavy-duty Apple damage if they release the iPhone on other carriers (especially Verizon) but Android, in the long run, and at least in terms of market share, should be compared against other OEM brands. They've got no real OEM competition right now. Microsoft might have a say in that, but who knows.

Good Reading
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #160 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessethouin View Post

Market Cap Overview:

AAPL: 247.84B
MSFT: 217.12B
GOOG: 153.33B

Apple, Inc., will be just fine.

This is a useful reminder.

But not surprising. Here's a question: How much cash flow does Google generate from Android? (It's not a trick question).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%