or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17% - Page 7

post #241 of 361
in other news:


Apple's up almost 6 points today and is now at 276.11.


Apple's Market Cap: $252 Billion


Google's Market Cap: $152 Billion
post #242 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Mobile web connected devices are soon going to become the primary way people connected to the internet.

Then what explains Apple's stance that the mobile web is not the way people now seek information, but instead, that they overwhelmingly use apps?

I think that, given both Apple's problems with its mobile browsers, and Apple's domination of the mobile app market, the statement is suspect as mere self-serving bullshit.

But you seem to disagree with it. What's your opinion on apps quickly replacing web browsing on mobile devices?
post #243 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

Maybe AT&T is holding the iPhone back, but the effect may not be as big as some think. I read an article recently that Samsung sold 1 million Galaxy S phones in 45 days on AT&T and T-mobile.

I assume that T-mobile did not sell all 1 million phones, so people who bought the Galaxy S on AT&T had the choice between the iPhone and Android, and they chose the Android.

Its easy to say that Apple would sell more if they made it available to more customers, which (in case) includes carriers, countries and phone models across different price points. The problem I see with that kind of obvious prediction is the physical limitation on sourcing components and manufacturing.

Looking at these issues with the iPhone 4 and iPad both of which still not yet selling in all countries the first and most problematic issue for Apples sales is supply. So even if Verizon was on board they still wouldnt be selling any more (and possibly slightly less, but that is a different issue that isnt in the scope of this discussion).

There is a new Foxconn plant coming on board early(?) next year that is apparently designed to manufacture a quarter-million iPhones per day. That seems to be what be needed to make this happen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #244 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its easy to say that Apple would sell more if they made it available to more customers, which (in case) includes carriers, countries and phone models across different price points. The problem I see with that kind of obvious prediction is the physical limitation on sourcing components and manufacturing.

Looking at these issues with the iPhone 4 and iPad both of which still not yet selling in all countries the first and most problematic issue for Apples sales is supply. So even if Verizon was on board they still wouldnt be selling any more (and possibly slightly less, but that is a different issue that isnt in the scope of this discussion).

There is a new Foxconn plant coming on board early(?) next year that is apparently designed to manufacture a quarter-million iPhones per day. That seems to be what be needed to make this happen.

You have a point. However, in this (and other threads) a common argument is that Android's existence (not just increased market share) is largely a function of the iPhone only being on AT&T.

While the AT&T only situation does constrain sales, and while supply would still constrain iPhone sales if it went multi-carrier, I do not see a wholesale collapse of Android sales happening. Even if Apple had an unlimited supply of iPhones on multiple carriers, I think Android would still sell quite well - I doubt it would see double digit increases in market share, but sales would not collapse, and it would maintain a reasonable market share.

We can sit around and discuss the situation and all, but what some here need to accept is that a segment of the population actually likes Android phones, and knowingly picks said phones over an iPhone, even when the iPhone is available.
post #245 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Again you are back to the argument of either providing unlimited data to everyone or the whole thing will fail.

No, my argument is that "unlimited data" is a red herring because, as used in the argument you are making it means "infinite data", which of course if absurd. What I am arguing is that a) if carriers can't provide sufficient data to everyone, mobile is going to hit a brick wall, and b) that the carriers certainly can provide sufficient data to everyone but are pretending they can't to drive up charges to customers and minimize their quarterly investments by discouraging data usage, which will effectively curb the growth of mobile for as long as they continue to do so.
post #246 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Of course if i diagree with you then I am anti Apple and a troll.......very convenient for you.......

Is that rule #37 you just used there?
post #247 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

You have a point. However, in this (and other threads) a common argument is that Android's existence (not just increased market share) is largely a function of the iPhone only being on AT&T.

While the AT&T only situation does constrain sales, and while supply would still constrain iPhone sales if it went multi-carrier, I do not see a wholesale collapse of Android sales happening. Even if Apple had an unlimited supply of iPhones on multiple carriers, I think Android would still sell quite well - I doubt it would see double digit increases in market share, but sales would not collapse, and it would maintain a reasonable market share.

We can sit around and discuss the situation and all, but what some here need to accept is that a segment of the population actually likes Android phones, and knowingly picks said phones over an iPhone, even when the iPhone is available.

I agree that it would have reduced Androids marketshare as some would wait for the iPhone to be in stock now that its on their carrier, but I dont see it increasing Apples profit as a result. That is the heart of all these discussions about companies: How would this affect them?

I assume some would just get frustrated and get another device which could create a different and potentially more harmful issue for Apple if its deemed that Apple has production problems that triples the time it takes to get an iPhone 4 (if we assume that AT&T accounts for 1/3 of the US cellular market).

As a shareholder I hope that Verizon is coming, even though Im happy with my fast AT&T service. The long term growth of the company will benefit by it, even after a huge bump int eh stock price from an official word from Apple.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #248 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

... Second issue, to the extent that IOS became a defacto standard, Apple could restrict Google's ability to generate revenue from that platform. In that sense, Android becomes "defensive". Apple's decision to block Google Voice, for instance, provides some evidence of that concern. Therefore a good strategy.

Not that good, as carriers begin to block Google services, like search and navigation, from Android phones.
post #249 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AGH, why did I click the un-ignore button?!?! LOL Newtron is now saying iPhone customers arent sophisticated. Gotta love those sophisticated Droid commercials targeted at those pimple-faced virgins who regulate their free time between masturbation and online roll-playing games. Also love those sophisticated apps for Android compared to the the iPhone. Only the unrefined would ever use an iPhone which makes me wonder why the expensive cars have docks for iPhones yet Ive seen none for Android.

Because expensive cars can't give buy 1 get 100 free.
post #250 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I assume that T-mobile did not sell all 1 million phones, so people who bought the Galaxy S on AT&T had the choice between the iPhone and Android, and they chose the Android.

People choosing Android on AT&T fall into 1 of 3 categories

* Hard core Android fans
* People who got BOGO or other deals for whom the initial cost was a significant consideration
* Uninformed consumers steered to Android phones by AT&T salespeople because it was a more profitable sale for AT&T.

Ever notice that AT&T doesn't really spend money advertising iPhones? That's partly because Apple does, and partly to steer the naive to options better for AT&T.
post #251 of 361
[hovering with my trusty Palm Treo 650...]
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
post #252 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

[hovering with my trusty Palm Treo 650...]

My old 700P was a great device.
post #253 of 361
That is all within Apple's control (except for the 5-year exclusiviity deal). Once they go multi-carrier in the US, those figures will change overnight.

Even being stuck with AT&T at the moment, this is still Apple's doing. If they hadn't been so restricive with developers, if they hadn't handled the iPhone 4 antenna issue so poorly, and if they would throw a little bit more attention and marketing at the business segment of the market, their numbers would far higher than Android.
post #254 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

That is all within Apple's control (except for the 5-year exclusiviity deal). Once they go multi-carrier in the US, those figures will change overnight.

Even being stuck with AT&T at the moment, this is still Apple's doing. If they hadn't been so restricive with developers, if they hadn't handled the iPhone 4 antenna issue so poorly, and if they would throw a little bit more attention and marketing at the business segment of the market, their numbers would far higher than Android.

I don't think the "issues" you mention have anything to do with this. It's due to a) iPhone being only on AT&T, and b) carrier desire for reclaiming control of what the phones do, which Android allows them to do.
post #255 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

I'm always amazed at how insulting some iPhone fanatics are! I've not once called anyone's post "stupid" or anything of the kind on here. Kinda reeks of insecurity about one's platform.

LOL. Dude, you're way too serious here.

Just for the record, I've never heard an adult call someone "Dude".

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #256 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just for the record, I've never heard an adult call someone "Dude".

.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #257 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You dont understand what is meant by this context or are purposely trying to be obtuse. You cant put Mac OS X on the first Mac either. You have to draw the line somewhere.

iOS is updated for ALL of Apples iPhones at the same time each year, and they supply updates for devices for three full years. The same cant be said of Android, which is still shipping *new* items with version 1.6, has many devices still stuck on much older versions with no hope of being upgraded since its up to the vendor and/or carrier, no consistency among UIs, and even the ability for crapware apps and a lock out of search engines which is even worse than the $400 notebooks that are supplemented by such tactics.

While technically the introduction of a new device each year with better HW and more features does create a fragment its a simple linear model where the older device cant get all the updates of the newer device and after 3 years of rich updates dont get any new updates, compared to a fractured model that looks like it was created by Mandelbrot.

Q: When will iOS 5.0 become a beta?
Q: When will iOS 5.0 launch?
Q: What devices will be able to get the iOS 5.0 update?
Q: Will all iPhones sold after iOS 5.0 drops get iOS 5.0?

Q: When will Honeycomb become a beta?
Q: When will Honeycomb launch?
Q: What devices will be able to get the Honeycomb update at that time?
Q: Will all Android-based phones sold after Honeycomb drops get iOS 5.0?



+++ QFT


Excellent, well stated... as usual.


Wish I'd been following this thread earlier...

.... but you just cleared away the cruft!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #258 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

That is all within Apple's control (except for the 5-year exclusiviity deal). Once they go multi-carrier in the US, those figures will change overnight.

Even being stuck with AT&T at the moment, this is still Apple's doing. If they hadn't been so restricive with developers, if they hadn't handled the iPhone 4 antenna issue so poorly, and if they would throw a little bit more attention and marketing at the business segment of the market, their numbers would far higher than Android.

I disagree. Android is an OEM operating system while iOS is used exclusively with iDevices. Android has no good competition in the OEM landscape and it is the only answer for some of these companies, lacking their own personal solution, to compete in the changing smartphone scene. The major competition for Android in this sense will come from another OEM OS (e.g. from Microsoft). Multi-carrier iPhones will have a strong impact on Android, but as Android appears in more and more phones of varying quality and price I expect Android will still move ahead. The only way Apple can crush them is to license iOS as an OEM operating system itself, which would be a move of colossal stupidity for them and for the iOS platform.

Apple could have handled the antenna fiasco better, but they did not handle it terribly. And you're criticizing their handling of the business segment? They've been handling that quite well, actually. iOS is actually ramping up against BlackBerry in that segment, which is no small feat. Those criticisms remind me of the term 'Armchair CEO'. Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world right now, and it's because they know what they're doing. We can choose to like that, or not, but it's a silly thing to dispute.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #259 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

People choosing Android on AT&T fall into 1 of 3 categories

* Hard core Android fans
* People who got BOGO or other deals for whom the initial cost was a significant consideration
* Uninformed consumers steered to Android phones by AT&T salespeople because it was a more profitable sale for AT&T.

Ever notice that AT&T doesn't really spend money advertising iPhones? That's partly because Apple does, and partly to steer the naive to options better for AT&T.

These are the same (and IMHO, tired) arguments that get mentioned whenever this whole issue pops up.

Point 1. How is this different than a hard core Apple fan buying a new iPhone every year.

Point 2 assumes people are cheap, and at a certain level makes no sense (at least in the US), because you can buy the 3GS for $99

Point 3 assumes people are stupid, or at least gullible.

Part of the point of my post was, that there is a 4th alternative that many people here are either unwilling or unable to consider

Point 4. People compare an iPhone and an Android phone, and for them, the Android is a better choice, and that is what they buy, not because they are irrational (hardcore fan), cheap or stupid, but because they make a reasoned, informed choice.
post #260 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is the heart of all these discussions about companies: How would this affect them?
.

I agree 100%, and personally, if the iPhone went multi-carrier, I am not sure it would have a huge effect on either Apple or Android.
post #261 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Then don't make that decision for me as well...lets just stick to the subject and leave the personalities and people out of it....too many times these dicussions turn to a personal nature and I hate that.....

Except that your statement was incorrect. There are things that both the iPhone and Android have that are unique or sufficiently unique to make coding it on the other platform annoying. It is easier to develop more elegant working apps on iOS than Android IMHO.

So if you believe that "there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device" I would question your tech savvy categorization. Sure it is possible if you ignore budget and schedule constraints but less true in terms of actual execution.

And no, I'm not a huge fan of Sense.
post #262 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Android is rising because Apple is letting Android rise. Those numbers/or percentage will soon change once Apple goes multi-carriers (USA) in the future.

This is delusional thinking of the first order.Apple letting android rise?. Maybe it should let windows mobile os also rise (sarcasm). Apple is not letting anything. Android is rising cause google put work into it. If it was a crappy phone OS, it would not be rising. This is really a battle apple cannot win (and probably should not). Apple goal is revenue, not to be #1. If they wanted to be #1, they would drop their prices in computers, iphone, ipods, etc.
post #263 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Except that your statement was incorrect. There are things that both the iPhone and Android have that are unique or sufficiently unique to make coding it on the other platform annoying. It is easier to develop more elegant working apps on iOS than Android IMHO.

So if you believe that "there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device" I would question your tech savvy categorization. Sure it is possible if you ignore budget and schedule constraints but less true in terms of actual execution.

And no, I'm not a huge fan of Sense.

BUT i have owned BOTH phones with both OSes. I have had an iPhone 3G then 3GS then iPhone 4 and now I have a HTC EVO. There is nothing functionally that that my iPhone could do that my EVO cannot do..........budget and schedule constraints have nothing to do with my using the phones....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #264 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Good job, Android. You are nearly able to catch up with iPhone's market share (oops, not yet) by a gazillion of devices.


How fair it is!

Apple can always license IOS, they can always license itunes to work with other devices.. this is hilarious. Fair?. Yeah, every other company is supposed to lie down and let apple walk all over them.. you apple guys are funny (and this is coming from a guy who only buys apple computers)... you are very hilarious.. no, it's not unfair, it's called competition.. you know, where some people get rich and others get poor.. where some companies execute a strategy that gets them ahead... i am sure a dictionary can give better definition of capitalism.. you wnat fair, emigrate to the soviet union.
post #265 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Android's rise is temporary. Microsoft will take a bit away from Android. RIM will eventually come around with decent hardware (i.e. Storm 3 this winter) and Nokia will break into America. WebOS may make a dent too but we'll see if HP let's it die on the vine.

Why is it apple fans assume that iphone market share cannot drop?. I happen to know people who left iphones for other phones that were not android. I know, i know.. shocking!!!. If windows rises, it will also take market share away from iphones. If it's that much superior to android, then it will be superior to iphone also. to me, the HTC EVO is still better than iphone, even though apple released afterwards and had all competitive info.. you would think they would leapfrog the EVO..
post #266 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I disagree...the tech savvy know that there is nothing on a IOS device that cannot be done as well or better on an Android device.
I have owned both the iPhone 4 and an HTC EVO. They both have great qualities! But the EVO in my humble opinion blows the iPhone away. I am NOT an Apple hater by any means I have in my house right now 2 iPhone 3Gs, 2 iMacs and Macbook Pro and an iPad so I am an Apple supporter through my purchasing decisions. I wonder how many people that are slamming Android phones have ever actually owned one!
Watch this video about HTC Sense and tell me it does not blow you away...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kax24GN1458
There is so much customizing you can do from every aspect from the HTC Sense overlay to custom ROMS that Apple cannot compete with......


I watched that video, twice, and am quite impressed!

I like the user-centric customization capability.

The scenes make sense (pun), for a user on the go)

I really like the reflow of zoomed text to match the size of the display.


That said, I have some comments and questions.

It appears that the user-centric customization is limited to a few Android and/or HTC-supplied apps (contacts, mail, SMS, browser, FaceBook, Flickr, etc.):
-- Are these Android or HTC supplied apps?
-- can you integrate other apps, especially 3rd-party apps like a twitter client, notes, collaborative apps?
-- Is this capability available on any other/all HTC Android phones?


Sense, ingeneral:
-- Sense is a skin, and as such it fragments the Android UX (although in a good way)
-- What versions on Android are required/supported?
-- Does Sense run on all models of HTC phones, and to what extent?
-- Does Sense have any effect on performance, data usage or battery... it appears as if those apps are multitasking & preloading content?
-- How difficult is it to customize sense... are there helpers?
-- Is the customization carried forward through updates of the Sense skin?
-- Is the customization carried forward through updates of Android?
-- Does Sense or Android provide any APis for developers to integrate their apps?
-- It appears that Sense is independent of the underlying OS... is, say, a win version coming?
-- If so, will you be able to port your Sense environment across platforms?


It is admirable what HTC has done here. Other than Palm, this is the first UEX, I've seen, that could challenge the iPhone.

The iPhone has some SDK-level constructs that support inter-app communication (notifications, etc). But, without JailBraking (or an Apple implementation) it would not be possible to Skin iOS with a Sense-like UI.

Even then, 3rd-party apps would need to do some extra work, conform to some protocols, implement some standard (minimum) features, etc... to take advantage of a Skin like Sense.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #267 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not that good, as carriers begin to block Google services, like search and navigation, from Android phones.

Actually it's a pretty good strategy since most carriers haven't chosen to do this and the phones that have blocked Google services haven't exactly been world beaters. The strategy actually makes a lot of sense, and Google has had little difficulty reaching consumers on Android.
post #268 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

He said nothing remotely like that. HTH.

Watching your comments-- your purpose here appears to be to irritate as many and as much as possible.


It is hard to decide which type of troll you are: a picador; or a Chihuahua.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #269 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

What strikes me as odd is how many people here bash android for the sake of bashing it. I'll admit that I'm not an Apple fan nor part of their target market. While I do develop for ios, I don't actually own any ios devices. When I need to test my app, I borrow a friends device. I am an Android fan. I love the os and its ties with all my other Google products.

That being said, some of you fanboys need to tone it down a little. When people come to you for advice comparing Android to iPhone there tends to be more bashing than helping. The cynicism is daunting and a turn off. It makes the product seem geared for a-holes and snobs. Feature for feature, the iphone vs an android phone are pretty comparable for most people. But when you spend so much time bashing the competition, you accidently make your favorite products seem inferior. You fail to assess and address the customer's needs.

Excellent point.

Quote:
Now I'm not saying there aren't a fair share of android fans who are ios bashers. They're equally annoying and just as cynical, but their voices aren't as loud as a slew of apple fanboys. Go to an Android forum asking the same comparison, and you'll get a plethora of people trying to figure out what the customer wants and needs are and try to match them, even if their suggestions are a little bias. However, I've seen more than a few post end with recommendations for iphone than android.

Before you guys slam me with a "this is an Apple site," remember, this is where people are coming to help them make an informed decision. If they see more bashing than helping, they're going to assume that other Apple sites are like that as well. Our phones and their manufactures are not politicians. We don't need smear campaigns. Not smearing is one of the reasons I think Apple has been effective at keeping the lead, and one of the reasons I think people got turned off with their antenna portion of their website. Smearing isn't really apple's forte. But if you diehards keep crying only negatives about the almost unrelated competition, then you're only going to hurt the company/product you're crying for.

Also a good point! The problem is that this site also attracts a lot of trolls whose purpose seems to be to muddy the water, irritate, and prevent thoughtful discussion.

You can usually (but not always) identify these people pretty easily-- If a poster is overly critical, , on every side of every issue, condescending, flippant, disruptive:
-- look at his join date and number of posts
-- lots of posts by a recent member are a sign that the member may have an agenda
-- review the suspect member's posts... you can usually detect a pattern

Often, you will see several trolls operate as a tag team.



Quote:

Be proactive and push benefits, not who's features are better. Instead of telling people everything YOU think is wrong with Android, ask them something like "Why do you think you need a smartphone?" And "Have you ever used a smartphone before?" Then push ios on them by matching these concerns. For instance, I wouldn't tell a feature phone user to switch to Android because the learning curve is too steep. But I also wouldn't tell a crackberry user to switch to the iphone because the complication withdrawal curve is too steep (they're already used to a complicated os). Different users, different products.

Currently, I'm recommending ipads to substitute PCs for people who don't need, nor want to pay, for a complicated computer and os, be it windows, os x, or linux. Multitasking and printing are hurdles but Apple is trying to take care of that. And as soon as Apple works CUPS support into the ipad, gumstix, linux, and CUPS will substitute the needed pc to act as a print server (technically, it'll still exist but in a much smaller form factor). All that's left is bluetooth mouse support for greater precision.

But do you get my point? Market share means nothing if you can pair peoples' needs and wants to a specific product. And it really is useless if you can pair it with your favorite product. Market share is just what we in business use as a measuring stick for our shareholders. We can define the market any way we want as long as we're making profit.

I agree!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #270 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Google has some very clever people. Their solution to the web-search problem was pure genius.
The problem with Google was how they chose to monetize that genius.

When they decided on using advertising and only advertising as their business model I think they took a big step towards the dark side.

Apple makes stuff, and earns profits when customers buy it. I think that is honest and transparent.
Google gives away stuff to create a honey trap, and then sells the collected users on to advertisers.

Both are valid business models. But I think we should remember that Google's first loyalty will always be to their paying customers; the advertisers.

I'd be much less suspicious of them as a company if they just charged for stuff.

C.

I can't find the exact quote (or attribution), but it goes something like this:

If the customer gets something [for] free, he should realize that he is the product being sold!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #271 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

The mobile carriers, at this point, can do a great deal to expand their capabilities and better deal with the bandwidth requirements their networks are currently subject to (be it improving their current networks, working toward future standards, or a combination of those things). We are not yet to a point where the law of physics is the roadblock.


I'm fairly surprised I have to explain this. Google generate its revenue through advertising and its services. Advertising primarily. Google recognizes, appropriately enough, that mobile is where the internet and multimedia consumption is headed, and it is of vital important to their company that they establish themselves in this market before it gets ahead of them. Or more to the point, that they establish themselves as a dominant force on this platform before a potential competitor makes that more challenging. (Google is definitely at the top of their game in this arena).

Every Android customer using Google services is a product which can be sold to other companies. Their information, their eyes, their money. Google searches and Google ads especially, but other Google services play into this as well. By establishing themselves as a strong player in the mobile phone arena they are able to create their own platform for the propagation of their business' primary revenue-producing products.

Android is free and available because that gives Google a competitive edge over other would-be competitors in the market (e.g. Microsoft). Why? Because Google doesn't care about profit from Android in terms of licensing. They care about profits that they might derive from Android users using those devices. Microsoft, by contrast, will seek to make money through licensing and their software products (e.g. Office). Similarities in other areas include iTunes, which is designed more to add value to Apple platforms than to be independently profitable, or an ink jet printer sold at a loss in hopes of recouping great profit through the sale of ink supplies.

And this should come as a surprise to nobody. This is Google's business model over and over again, and it works. They release highly competitive products which are freely available to the consumer (any relation to them being the actual product and a cost associated with that aside) and make money not from licensing that product, but rather by monetizing it in other ways (usually advertising).


Every Android customer using Google services is a product which can be sold to other companies.

I don't like being treated as a product (without my permission). That's why I am systematically cutting back on use of Google services.
.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #272 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Rule #36 .... from "Trolling Techniques" from (insert name of company here)
Remember: ..... Always, always, always, when slamming Apple, be sure to include this phrase, or a similar one .... "Now, I'm not anti-Apple, in fact, in my house I have 27 iMacs, 36 iPods, 14 iPads, 11 iPhones and several thousand of $$$$ worth of beloved Apple accessories. ... and, oh yeah, one of those Apple TV thingys.


... and be sure to add: I was on the Homestead High School swim team with Steve Jobs, and saved him from drowning... several times... in the winter... ... in the cafeteria...

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #273 of 361
I hope we get more stories of the ascendance of Android's market share that seals Apple's fate. Also, Carol Bartz sounding off more often about why/how Apple is doomed.

AAPL up $6.35 today. Love it.

(If you see a variant of this post in another thread, it's on purpose).
post #274 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think the "issues" you mention have anything to do with this. It's due to a) iPhone being only on AT&T, and b) carrier desire for reclaiming control of what the phones do, which Android allows them to do.

Maybe my blood sugar is too low .... but I really can't think of any specific controls the carriers desire. Please satisfy my curiosity and enlighten me.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #275 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

BUT i have owned BOTH phones with both OSes. I have had an iPhone 3G then 3GS then iPhone 4 and now I have a HTC EVO. There is nothing functionally that that my iPhone could do that my EVO cannot do..........budget and schedule constraints have nothing to do with my using the phones....

From the standpoint of today there are still apps on the iPhone for which there isn't an Android equivalent in terms of quality. iMovie is one example. Enterprise support another. There are major game titles from major game studios on the iPhone that are not on Android. So yes, there are things that an iPhone can do that an EVO cannot. Even in terms of hardware. The iPhone 4 supports 802.11N and the Evo does not. The iPhone has a higher resolution display than the EVO. Android SDK doesn't currently support HDR (apps can't control camera exposure) but the iPhone 4 does provide HDR (dunno about the SDK).

You may not use those features but they exist, other folks use them and are things the EVO can not do. Likewise there are things the EVO can do that the iPhone 4 cannot.

Why aren't there as many apps of equivalent quality in some categories in the market vs app store? Because of budget and schedule constraints of developing those apps to the same level of quality. I can get to the same level of functionality as the iOS team in the same amount or less time but it seems I have to spend a lot more time tweaking the UI and flow to get the same level of refinement.

That and Apple inspires a little more attention to UI details as a platform than Android does.
post #276 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

... Point 4. People compare an iPhone and an Android phone, and for them, the Android is a better choice, and that is what they buy, not because they are irrational (hardcore fan), cheap or stupid, but because they make a reasoned, informed choice.

Sorry, but imaginary customers don't actually purchase phones.
post #277 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

Actually it's a pretty good strategy since most carriers haven't chosen to do this and the phones that have blocked Google services haven't exactly been world beaters.

Oh, they're just getting started. The Chinese, for example, are cutting Google entirely out of the loop with their own fork of Android. How long do you think a single Android is going to last even in this country? Who needs the Android marketplace when you can create your own app store.
post #278 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Maybe my blood sugar is too low .... but I really can't think of any specific controls the carriers desire. Please satisfy my curiosity and enlighten me.

Control where you buy your apps, what services you access, etc., etc., etc. You know, like the good old days, when they made money off all that.
post #279 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So the iPod is for the sophisticated and the iPhone is for the unrefined?

Note there was a definite drop in compatibility when the iPhone was first launched BECAUSE it was using a new version of OS X, not the iPod OS, so you’d be arguing that the compatibility only returned for the iPod Touch, not for the iPhone.

It has nothing to do with sophisticated or not. Just the sheer number of iPods vs iPhones. Btw all money in the world and a thousand luxury/sports cars does not make a person sophisticated nor does what phone one owns.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #280 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... and be sure to add: I was on the Homestead High School swim team with Steve Jobs, and saved him from drowning... several times... in the winter... ... in the cafeteria...

.

How, exactly, does one drown in a school cafeteria?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone drops to 23.8% smartphone market share, Android jumps to 17%