or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › jailbreaking ios 4.1 permanently
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

jailbreaking ios 4.1 permanently

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
hackers are engaging in developing SHAtter in order to jailbreak ios 4.1 on iPhone 4 permanently. how hackers jailbreak ios 4.1?
post #2 of 7
No jailbreak is permanent. Theoretically an unlock can be (on a previously carrier-locked phone), but a jailbreak can't be permanent.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No jailbreak is permanent. Theoretically an unlock can be (on a previously carrier-locked phone), but a jailbreak can't be permanent.

Sounds like this one may be as it takes advantage of a low level exploit that would require a hardware charge to block. Since Apple won't be replacing iPhones to close this hole, those devices that are eligible/vulnerable may well be permanent.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sounds like this one may be as it takes advantage of a low level exploit that would require a hardware charge to block. Since Apple won't be replacing iPhones to close this hole, those devices that are eligible/vulnerable may well be permanent.

What would that be? I mean, what exploit could be low-level enough to allow something to modify a stock firmware at all?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What would that be? I mean, what exploit could be low-level enough to allow something to modify a stock firmware at all?

I am seeming differing reports. Some say it is an A4 exploit and some are saying it is a bootROM exploit. In almost all cases, it seems the exploit cannot be patched via a firmware update. So, if you have a device that can be jailbroken with this exploit, while an iOS update might undo the jailbreak, it would simply be a matter of using the same exploit to jailbreak it again. This is in contrast to 'non-permanent' jailbreaks, where Apple has been able to update the OS or firmware to close the exploit. Subsequently, when you update the OS and the jailbreak is removed, you cannot just jailbreak it again until a new jailbreak is released. This new one is permanent in that it uses an exploit that cannot be closed without a hardware change.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #6 of 7
Can't wait, a 4.2 Jailbreak is pretty key for the iOS world.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No jailbreak is permanent. Theoretically an unlock can be (on a previously carrier-locked phone), but a jailbreak can't be permanent.

This. A jailbreak is as permanent as the user allows it to be. However, there is a way in which you can achieve a jailbreak permanently if you know how to. Example, the 1st iPhone achieved that type of jailbreak (or exploit) in which no matter what Apple did, we could jailbreak the device at will and whenever we wanted.

That is a permanent jailbreak hole, which sorta makes jailbreak permanent; however, it still doesn't protect you against a Restore. You still have to go thru all the process.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › jailbreaking ios 4.1 permanently