or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchase
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchase - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Actually there is a third camp. It's called the "For a thousand dollars, how about giving me a choice" camp.

There is also the "whatever Steve Jobs thinks is best" camp which I refuse to join.

You know, you people really are ridiculous, if the moderator doesn't mind my saying so. I think you just take the opposite side to whatever anyone else says.

Why can't you just say "Yeah, for a thousand bucks, which is twice as much as a flat screen TV by the way, they could please all their customers and give them a choice instead of forcing them to do business their way or not at all because I am Steve Jobs and I steer the monitor business."

Why can't you say that? Oh yes, then you will have to admit you paid too much for a device or a product that wasn't really what you wanted.

You do have a choice, lots of people make monitors, buy one of theirs instead. Why would anyone buy a device they didn't want? Most odd thinking you have there.
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

... There is also the "whatever Steve Jobs thinks is best" camp which I refuse to join. ...

It's kind of interesting this SJ obsession that the anti-Apple camp has. It's like they somehow feel personally oppressed or threatened by him. And not just trolls like Blackintosh. How often in, for example, the Flash discussions do we get the, "You only hate Flash because SJ tells you to," comment? They seem to attach even more weight to his words and actions than most Apple fans do. I don't really understand it, but whatever is going on with these people, I'm sure it's not healthy.
post #43 of 69
Wow, $1000 for a monitor? It does look totally fabulous...but a grand plus tax is a lot to be spending on a display...

I like the glossy screen on my MacBook Pro, for the most part. I have no problems with it in the sun: I just turn up the brightness to the max and the display is still visible. The reflection does bother me though...
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin View Post

Wow, $1000 for a monitor? It does look totally fabulous...but a grand plus tax is a lot to be spending on a display...

I like the glossy screen on my MacBook Pro, for the most part. I have no problems with it in the sun: I just turn up the brightness to the max and the display is still visible. The reflection does bother me though...

Best post of the day.
post #45 of 69
[QUOTE=anonymouse;1716436 I don't really understand it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and that's the problem.
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You do have a choice, lots of people make monitors, buy one of theirs instead. Why would anyone buy a device they didn't want? Most odd thinking you have there.

The main reason I wish Apple had a matte option is this:

Someday my iMac is going to break. I like the all in one form factor, but I don't want a glossy monitor. Which means if I want to replace my iMac with another Apple product, I'll have to go with a Mac Pro which I really don't need for what I do. And then I'll have to spend extra on a monitor from another company.

Steve Job's decision to go glossy locks me out of the iMac form factor and that is a shame. That's all.

Is it really so odd? Really? Can your superior mind find any understanding here? Are you willing to acknowledge that there may be some people in the world that feel differently than you? Maybe just a few? Maybe??
post #47 of 69
No matte screen, no Firewire, no buy!
post #48 of 69
Maybe it has more to do with UK import tarrifs than Apple mark-up.
post #49 of 69
Would a video professional notice the difference in the refresh rate comparing Apples's 12 ms to those displays at 5 or 6 ms? Or are these numbers just another sales ploy?
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Maybe it has more to do with UK import tarrifs than Apple mark-up.

I've spent some time in London and what I noticed was that regardless of what the exchange rate was between the pound and the dollar that prices there were roughly equivalent to what they were in the US, except for swapping the currency sign. Meaning that if an item costs $100 in the US, that same item tended to cost about £100 give or take. If something cost $10 in the US, it was about £10 in London. Granted London isn't the cheapest city in the UK, but the prices did seem to correlate. For an American traveling in that city, prices were dreadfully high for everything. Something besides the 18% VAT was accounting for the big discrepancies in prices.

So I'm actually surprised the price of this monitor is £899. I would have expected it to be £999. Now I've never priced Apple equipment in the UK as my stays were only visits, but it's just an observation on the relative level of prices.
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobybrut View Post

I've spent some time in London and what I noticed was that regardless of what the exchange rate was between the pound and the dollar that prices there were roughly equivalent to what they were in the US, except for swapping the currency sign. Meaning that if an item costs $100 in the US, that same item tended to cost about £100 give or take. If something cost $10 in the US, it was about £10 in London. Granted London isn't the cheapest city in the UK, but the prices did seem to correlate. For an American traveling in that city, prices were dreadfully high for everything. Something besides the 18% VAT was accounting for the big discrepancies in prices.

So I'm actually surprised the price of this monitor is £899. I would have expected it to be £999. Now I've never priced Apple equipment in the UK as my stays were only visits, but it's just an observation on the relative level of prices.

Some Apple products have almost 0% increase over the prices in the US, others, for example the TV are extortionate in terms of the price.

From what I can tell from the other computer related items I have bought within the UK only Apple tends to have a large price discrepancy, some items are slightly cheaper here.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

That's simply not true. Add VAT, use the commercial (not consumer) exchange rate and allow 5 - 10% import duty and the price difference is negligible.

Why are you listing commerical exchange rate as a reason for the price to be higher? Commerical rates are better, the price would then be lower than comparing to cash exchange rates
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Bloody hell, £899 for us brits for the many Americans on the forum that's only $1407 (Inc Tax/Vat). I know Apple put's a mark up on it's overseas operation but this is wrong!

True, but yours comes with free healthcare.
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Can't justify a new one while this one still works.

Try smacking yourself over the head with it. This would solve two known problems for you.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Try smacking yourself over the head with it. This would solve two known problems for you.

I tried but the damn thing won't break!
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Actually there is a third camp. It's called the "For a thousand dollars, how about giving me a choice" camp.

You do have a choice - buy a monitor from someone other than Apple!

Sheesh, talk about making a freaking mountain out of a molehill

Your in the minority. Apple does't make all products for all people.

post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

You do have a choice - buy a monitor from someone other than Apple!

Sheesh, talk about making a freaking mountain out of a molehill

Your in the minority. Apple does't make all products for all people.



As a shareholder I don't like to hear talk like that. I want Apple to sell tons of monitors and make money for you and me and themselves. There is nothing wrong with consumers having a choice of a matte option if they are expected to pay a thousand bucks.

Your post betrays your anger. Why are you angry at me? All I want is for everyone to get the monitor they like. Why in the world would you have a problem with this? I suggest you take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You may not like what you see.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Sounds like he lives in the real world. Come on Apple heads! A thousand bucks for a monitor??

Dell's is the exact same price. Quit whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin View Post

Wow, $1000 for a monitor? It does look totally fabulous...but a grand plus tax is a lot to be spending on a display...

Dell. Same price. Same panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

No matte screen, no Firewire, no buy!

Too bad that Apple hasn't sold a display with FireWire since 2003. Either buy a used 20", 23", or 30" or quit whining. You should have purchased a 30" when they were still in the store.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #59 of 69
[QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1716039]We... don't do that here. We're not children.
:

your not serious are you. Appleinsider serving up adult dialogue... give me a break its a rumor site.
post #60 of 69
I still don't get why they can't offer 24'' and 27'' LED cinema displays.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

As a shareholder...

Shareholder? Yeah, right.
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Cool, but I don't think many are going to plunk down a grand for a display.

(sigh) I wish I could plunk down a measly thousand dollars for a good work display. My current EIZO CG241W cost me $2200 plus $50 shipping. The HP DreamColor LP2480zx I'd like to get is now discounted to $2499.

For a work monitor that helps me create content and pay the bills, $1000 is nothing. I spent more than that for my SmallHD 5.6" external video monitor that's about the size of a Kindle.

If you think about it, $1000 is only about 25 date nights to watch bad 3D movies, half that if you go to dinner before, even less if you had drinks. And the monitor still looks good in the morning, won't rag you about looking at other monitors, or expect you to buy it pricey accessories to make it feel better about your relationship with it.
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

(sigh) I wish I could plunk down a measly thousand dollars for a good work display. My current EIZO CG241W cost me $2200 plus $50 shipping. The HP DreamColor LP2480zx I'd like to get is now discounted to $2499.

For a work monitor that helps me create content and pay the bills, $1000 is nothing. I spent more than that for my SmallHD 5.6" external video monitor that's about the size of a Kindle.

If you think about it, $1000 is only about 25 date nights to watch bad 3D movies, half that if you go to dinner before, even less if you had drinks. And the monitor still looks good in the morning, won't rag you about looking at other monitors, or expect you to buy it pricey accessories to make it feel better about your relationship with it.

Thank you. At last someone with some sanity on this topic!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I've posted the photo, see for yourself. The reason is that glossy displays look better and are much more usable outside than matte screens.

ps. I run a professional design house which employs pro photographers and designers, and all prefer the glossy screen. Our calibration company also much prefer them.

I think we would all appreciate it if you'd not quote Blackintosh in your responses-- most people here have him on their ignore list, since he's never going to say anything that isn't some variation of sneering contempt for Apple products and users.

It's very pleasant to be able to read threads without having to see any of that.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #65 of 69
Gah......... and everyone else who's responding with quotes-- THE IGNORE LIST IS YOUR FRIEND.

Really, there isn't any "debate" to be had with some people, and trying to rebuke them is pointless. Let's keep the visible trolling in the threads to a minimum.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think we would all appreciate it if you'd not quote Blackintosh in your responses-- most people here have him on their ignore list, since he's never going to say anything that isn't some variation of sneering contempt for Apple products and users.

It's very pleasant to be able to read threads without having to see any of that.

This guy is a tool. And ignorant. Seriously, comparing the LED Display to a "flat screen TV"...

Anyway, done and done.
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The main reason I wish Apple had a matte option is this:

Someday my iMac is going to break. I like the all in one form factor, but I don't want a glossy monitor. Which means if I want to replace my iMac with another Apple product, I'll have to go with a Mac Pro which I really don't need for what I do. And then I'll have to spend extra on a monitor from another company.

Steve Job's decision to go glossy locks me out of the iMac form factor and that is a shame. That's all.

Is it really so odd? Really? Can your superior mind find any understanding here? Are you willing to acknowledge that there may be some people in the world that feel differently than you? Maybe just a few? Maybe??

Yes I do. Hence I shall reiterate my point. Lots of different companies make monitors, buy one of theirs instead.

My mouse isn't made by apple, nor is my graphics tablet. Or my router, or my battery charger.

Understand? Buy the range of products offered by apple, or buy from another company. It's called consumer choice. No company offers all the options required by all consumers. Shock horror.
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The main reason I wish Apple had a matte option is this:

Someday my iMac is going to break. I like the all in one form factor, but I don't want a glossy monitor. Which means if I want to replace my iMac with another Apple product, I'll have to go with a Mac Pro which I really don't need for what I do. And then I'll have to spend extra on a monitor from another company.

I have lot's of third-party (non-Apple) products. Why limit yourself to Apple-branded stuff?

I absolutely agree about glossy monitors and won't use them either. I bought a 15" MacBook Pro with the hi-res anti-glare option and for an external monitor, I got a 26" VP2650wb Viewsonic.

Then I wrote to Apple telling them that I gave my $700 to Viewsonic instead of Apple because of Apple's gloss-only display policy.

See what good that did, eh?

Yes, and it's a bummer that Apple doesn't make a mid-range quad-core headless Mac. That's why almost everyone I know have MacBook Pros and external displays.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #69 of 69
I sure wish Apple offered matte displays. I'd already have one.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchase