or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers - Page 4

post #121 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Fact: The Newton MessagePad was released in 1993.

BTW, it was comparatively fatter than the iPad is.

Wow!

You're really 'reaching' there, given that there's a world of (functional) difference between a Personal Digital Assistant/PDA (Note: The term PDA was first used on January 7, 1992 by Apple Computer CEO John Sculley at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, referring to the Apple Newton."), like the Newton, and a modern day slate/tablet.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #122 of 235
Now that does look like a big iPhone or iPod Touch.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #123 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

That is not the attribute under discussion. It is a different topic entirely.

The claim was with regard to thickness, and not proportions.

Wel yeah, it looks thick in the picture but as has been pointed out, it isn't that thick really. It just looks that way because of the proportions.

So my guess is that if Apple brings out an 7" version it will be proportionally in line with the present iPad.
post #124 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While your at it sit in a Rolls Royce or Ferrari and see the build quality. Not everyone can afford an iPad. They go with their wallet.

I completely Agree! and wholeheartedly welcome all these manufacturers to the fold.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #125 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Fact: Apple did NOT invent that slate/tablet computer (they've been available to consumers since 2003), nor was it even the first to market a slate/tablet running a mobile OS (that would be Archos).

What about the Newton?
post #126 of 235
Quote:

Man, this looks great. I look forward to the WiFi-only models.

You know i had a feeling you'd like this. I bet you never buy one though.
Still, i can see your having fun replying to all the fanboys.
post #127 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Now that does look like a big iPhone or iPod Touch.

They all do, after all there's only so much designers can do with this particular form-factor i.e. slate/tablet.

More to the point, it resembles a larger Samsung Galaxy S, which is a very good thing - IMO.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #128 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

What about the Newton?

Again: The Newton was Personal Digital Assistant/PDA with nowhere near the computing functionality of modern slate/tablet devices.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #129 of 235
Quote:

They all do, after all there's only so much designers can do with this particular form-factor i.e. slate/tablet.

More to the point, it resembles a larger Samsung Galaxy S, which is a very good thing - IMO.

Hmmm...it's suddenly become fashionable and ok to resemble an iPhone or iPod Touch now a competitor has come out. How times have changed.
post #130 of 235
I don't really think the thickness argument is all that important. This is by design a smaller device than the iPad, and how all the dimensions work in proportion is something we won't really know until we get chance to hold one of them.

One thing this does make me realise is just how much of a game changed the iPad has been. A couple of years ago and pretty much every computer manufacturer was desperate to jump on the Netbook bandwagon, but now Apple have clearly created a market that didn't exist before (I know tablets existed pre-iPad, but there was little market) and everyone is chasing this bandwagon. Asus did an amazing job creating the netbook market, and Apple similarly have clearly got a product just right to create this market.

Personally I'm not that wowed by the Samsung effort, mostly because I'm not that wowed by Android. I personally don't own an Android phone, but the ones my friends have that I have played with look a mess. I know they have a lot of flexibility to change the look and feel of it, but all that seems to have done to my eye is make it confusing. I'm sure if it was actually mine what would look a mess to others would probably make sense to me, but it just doesn't seem inviting.

Perhaps with a bigger screen it will be clearer.

Still, all told, I'm glad Apple is seeing some competition. Mac OS languished until they realised MS had started to leapfrog them with Windows 95, and that ended up giving us the frankly excellent OSX, and I hope Android will continue to push Apple to better and better things.
post #131 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor008u2 View Post

Bogus. It *is* true that "...other companies can only copy instead of come up with something at all original." Otherwise, the Galaxy tab and all the others currently in production would have been first to market, i.e., these companies would have innovated and introduced the marketplace itself... like Apple has already done, paving the way.

Which companies can only copy? I am unaware of a single example.

IMO, the statement's truth or falsity is not dependent upon market timing of the Tab.
post #132 of 235
Quote:

Wow!

You're really 'reaching' there, given that there's a world of (functional) difference between a Personal Digital Assistant/PDA (Note: The term PDA was first used on January 7, 1992 by Apple Computer CEO John Sculley at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, referring to the Apple Newton."), like the Newton, and a modern day slate/tablet.

Oh, now it's about "functional difference" is it? Well, there's a world of functional difference between the iPad and the devices you referred to, so, based on your new criteria, you're still wrong. FACT.
post #133 of 235
Quote:

Hmmm...it's suddenly become fashionable and ok to resemble an iPhone or iPod Touch now a competitor has come out. How times have changed.

Well... It's not like the iPhone/Touch/iPad didn't adopt the overall design aesthetic of the Hp/Compaq TC1XXX from 2003 http://www.tabletpccorner.net/news_p...00-linux01.jpg

It's really nothing new, or particularly egregious.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #134 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

blame for what exactly?

"'One carrier' thing is Apple's Achilles heel."

I disputed this. Please read the posts before responding.
post #135 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

So now fatter has suddenly become an absolute term to you! But thicker (as you correctly point out is a relative word, as opposed to thicness) is not!

I'm done arguing about definitions of words. Carry on without me.
post #136 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What?! ... and you have never speculated about anything in your posts?!

He never said anything remotely like that.
post #137 of 235
Quote:

Oh... here we go... Fric and Frac...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #138 of 235
Quote:

You know i had a feeling you'd like this. I bet you never buy one though.

Likely you are correct. By the time I feel the category is mature enough to be worth the investment, likely the Tab will be relegated to last-year's model.

I am rarely an early adopter. For example, the iPhone never caught my interest until the 3GS, which I use daily. Even though it has been bested by many other phones, I still use it, and will continue to do so until the category becomes more mature.

By next spring, I expect to have many, many compelling choices of phones. I may decide to get another iPhone, but at this point, with the iPhone falling behind so quickly, it seems unlikely.
post #139 of 235
Quote:

Isn't a 'hermit' a person who lives, to some degree, in seclusion from society.

Just Saying...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #140 of 235
Let's get real. This Korean POS is for
Windows loving losers.
And where will they take it for service?
ATT? I said get real.
Take it to Korea. (love you long time)
post #141 of 235
Quote:

Isn't a 'hermit' a person who lives, to some degree, in seclusion from society.

Just Saying...

... and "you" should never wonder why...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #142 of 235
Quote:

Please let us know your thoughts. Do you currently own any other 7 inch tablets? Do you have any opinion on the optimal screen size for a tablet?

I realize that there will be a compromise between screen size and handling ability. Many people commented that the iPad seemed heavy to them. It is also thicker and requires an ugly bezel to get enough grip. Maybe a lighter, albeit smaller device is better?

The bezel has nothing to do with gripping a 'heavy' device, and is simply there to address the inconvenient fact that humans have these annoying 'thumb' things that have to sit somewhere when not in use.
post #143 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

Take it to Korea. (love you long time)

Offensive racial stereotyping has no place here.
post #144 of 235
Quote:

There's not much that can be done with form factor. I'm sure your flat panel TV/monitor looks a lot like Phillips first available to consumers plasma TV and very much like your neighbors Sony/Toshiba/Samsung/Panasonic etc but no one yells bloody murder at that. Historically one company leads the way and others follow suit. Companies copy other companies and not just in the electronic world. Nabisco copied the Hydrox and made the Oreo. Get over it people, competition no matter how inferior is good.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #145 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

at the prices i have seen i predict EPIC FAIL for samsung.

I agree. And, it doesn't help that it's smaller, fatter, and looks quite obviously and pathetically like an iPad design knock-off.
post #146 of 235
Quote:

Offensive racial stereotyping has no place here.

Bravo and ditto.
post #147 of 235
It's Android, yet that home screen is so reminiscent of Windows 95!

Therefore I say...

"Bring It!"

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #148 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sure they do. Samsung isn't some fly by night company. They're a major player in the computer/mobile world.

I'm well aware of Samsung's size. Also, I am not speaking ill of Samsung. I own a few of their products and I don't regret getting them.

What I was saying was that I really don't think Samsung can command enough of a premium from one carrier to offset the sales they wouldn't get solely because it isn't available on other carriers. Very few companies can manage to justify exclusivity for a very long time, it seems like it's usually 3-6 months.
post #149 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

The WiFi-only Samsung Tab won't have access to the Addroid app store BTW (according to restrictions by Google).

That would kill it right out of the gate. I guess you can try to cripple the WiFi version that way, but without 3d party apps these devices are no more then a $300 web browser.

On the plus side I really like the design of both this and the archos tablet that was shown in the video from one of the comment above. I think it will be a much closer game with the tablets simply because Android is very much feature comparable to iOS with Froyo, and even has some nice goodies like turn by turn navigation and flash support that might put it over the top for some people. I still like the iOS UI and iTunes eco-system a lot more, but those with no history will surely be pleased with lower prices and more variety.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #150 of 235
Will make "Kindle"ing wood out of the Samsung Galaxy.
post #151 of 235
Quote:

I DON'T love it when a poster really has nothing constructive to ad to a thread topic, so they resort to inane/petty/silly nonsensical postings/flame baiting.

Quote:

You must really annoy yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

You give ihm a lot of credit !

Credit where credit is due... He put himself on his own ignore list

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #152 of 235
Quote:

What?! ... and you have never speculated about anything in your posts?!

Give me a break.

So you're saying that the Galaxy Tab will be a success at any price point? That it will sell well at $400... $500... $600 or even higher?

You'll sit there and argue about definitions of slimmer, thicker, fatter but you won't even entertain speculation about the success or failure contingent upon various pricing.

LOL! Dumb boy, dumb.

on the surface, with out actually seeing and using one, at 300 or under i think a wireless only samsung tab could do okay. but too many unknowns to even say that. over 300 i honestly can't see it making much of a dent.
post #153 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Credit where credit is due... He put himself on his own ignore list

If you do that - do you disappear?
post #154 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

It's Android, yet that home screen is so reminiscent of Windows 95!

Therefore I say...

"Bring It!"

And my iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch's UI bares a striking resemblance to a 'vintage' children's' sticker book from last century.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...OYmdnAeRk5G3Bw
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #155 of 235
Quote:

Oh, now it's about "functional difference" is it? Well, there's a world of functional difference between the iPad and the devices you referred to, so, based on your new criteria, you're still wrong. FACT.

Actually, the "handwriting recognition" software on the Newton is robuster than the "handwriting recognition" software on the Tab.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #156 of 235
Quote:

Quote:

LOL! What an aptly yclept * description....

* Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!

http://www.wordnik.com/words/yclept/comments

I remember seeing Frick and Frack [sp] skate in the ice follies...

... they would skate around in circles, take up a lot of space, detract from the main show... and never really accomplish anything...

... but, they were good at what they did!

Quote:
"Frick and Frack" has become an English slang term used in two ways. One is to refer to two people so closely associated as to be indistinguishable; the other way is as a term of derision for any two people, on par with calling one person a "Bozo" or three people "Stooges".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_and_Frack

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #157 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I wonder what service they will promote for video calling. And btw how in the hell does this thing not infringe on some of the ipad's patents. I mean it's pretty sad that these other companies can only copy instead of come up with something at all original.

I am curious. What would an "original" tablet look like? The iPad is not an "original" tablet in the sense of being square and flat (see, e.g. PaceBlade from 2006).
post #158 of 235
It's just a large Samsung Android phone!
post #159 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Nice looking unit, if they can get the software right and have some decent apps available at launch it could do quite well.

I don't think Apple and the iPad needs to worry too much though, not for the moment at least.

Getting what software right? It is an Android device. A free OS. You really think Samsung is going to do its own OS? I don't think so.
And what does Samsung's customer service consist of? A freaking extended warranty.
I have the ipad thank you. You can have the tab.
post #160 of 235
I can see this filling a niche population, not necessarily one that competes against the iPad. However, if the price for a wi-fi only (unsubsidized) is anything above 500, then I can't really see why anyone would get the Tab over the iPad unless a camera was a necessity.

Personally, I'm still waiting for an iPad with camera.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers