or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers - Page 2

post #41 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But most people would say that the iPad is thicker and the Samsung is thinner.

Adding adjectives cannot change reality.

Actually most people would compare their size of screen before they would ever compare their thickness.
post #42 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But most people would say that the iPad is thicker and the Samsung is thinner.

Adding adjectives cannot change reality.

Who cares? All that matters is how it feels when you hold it.
How heavy it is when you hold it a period of time...

This is a smaller device anyway.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #43 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

"One carrier" thing is Apple's Achilles heel.

The iPhone is available on over 150 carriers. I don't think we can blame ATT anymore.
post #44 of 235
I can see a nice market for this 5 to 7 tablets. While the iPad is great it doesnt fit into a large pockets of those in the medical field. Unfortunately Android isnt a great solution for the business, which is why I had hoped MS and RiM would have taken the ball and come out with a tablet in this range before the others. They could have beat Apple to the punch with this inevitable sizing, instead we only have cheaply built devices using a weak UI overlay to Android.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I doubt it. Flash on this thing will drain the battery like no tomorrow. You'll be lucky to get 5 hours out of it.

Id be surprised if this can get 5 hours of solid video playback using H.264 from local files sans Flash.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

Then I guess the iPad is even 'fatter' given that the Galaxy Tab measures 190.09 x 120.45 x 11.98mm at .38kg yet the iPad comes in at 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4mm at .73kg.

Personally, I find the Galaxy the perfect size/weight for this kind of device as it's much easier to hold with one hand, and considerably lighter than my iPad.

I'll be comparing both extensively the minute I purchase my GalaxyTab upon its release.

Have you ever heard the term proportions. Go calculate and get a tiny bit wiser if you can't grasp the difference by eye.
post #46 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's a phone. It's really competing against the iPhone, as it's too small to really be an iPad competitor. Thus, the form factor should feel like a phone, and it doesn't.

And if you're not going to use it as a phone, you're going to feel kind of silly paying the monthly phone charges for it.

yes its absolutely stupid and silly. as a threat to ipad for wireless only i could see it IF this thing works decently and it was much cheaper than the ipad. samsung is stupid if they think they can charge apple prices. would be like Ford thinking it can get Ferrari prices on its stuff. dumb.
post #47 of 235
You all get so mad at Steve Jobs but no carrier thus far has screwed with his operating system.

Meanwhile, we continue to watch android get bastardized by the carriers. And that's what they'll be doing to the Tab.
post #48 of 235
Competition is good. If the smaller form factor is a success, expect Apple to add that to the lineup in the not-too-distant future as well.

I was thinking of my first generation iPhone and how nicely it has evolved. iPhone 4 is the greatest phone I ever owned. iPad 1 is the only tablet I ever owned.
post #49 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the company hopes to compete with Apple's iPad in the booming touchscreen tablet market.

What booming touchscreen tablet market?

Right now there's only a booming iPad market. It remains to be seen how that translates to a wider market.
post #50 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

You all get so mad at Steve Jobs but no carrier thus far has screwed with his operating system.

Meanwhile, we continue to watch android get bastardized by the carriers. And that's what they'll be doing to the Tab.

you know it ain't good when google says android 2.2 isn't a good choice for pads....
at 200 or mabye 300 dollars without a carrier i would consider one. at 500+ why bother? get an ipad.
post #51 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Please let us know your thoughts. Do you currently own any other 7 inch tablets? Do you have any opinion on the optimal screen size for a tablet?

I realize that there will be a compromise between screen size and handling ability. Many people commented that the iPad seemed heavy to them. It is also thicker and requires an ugly bezel to get enough grip. Maybe a lighter, albeit smaller device is better?

Will Do... Yes I have a 'couple' of other 7in slates/tablets.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #52 of 235
In fact, I was quite tempted by the Galaxy Tab just because of its 7" form factor. Alas, here in Norway the price is way higher than the iPad (according to the official Samsung importer). Would like a camera but it's not a deal-breaker to me, the App store weighs more in my book. Anayway I'll wait till November and see what comes up...
post #53 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox View Post

Competition is good. If the smaller form factor is a success, expect Apple to add that to the lineup in the not-too-distant future as well.

I was thinking of my first generation iPhone and how nicely it has evolved. iPhone 4 is the greatest phone I ever owned. iPad 1 is the only tablet I ever owned.

at the prices i have seen i predict EPIC FAIL for samsung.
post #54 of 235
It’s interesting that the two newest Android tablets from different vendors I’ve read about in the last day have a wonky 1024x600 resolution (1:71 aspect ratio) with one being a 7” display and the other 10”, but I am under the impression that Android v2.2 “Froyo” only natively supports resolutions up to 854×480. So are these some add on that will make 3rd-party apps not work right, is there a 1024x600 option built in, or will these be using a version of Android newer than 2.2?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's a phone. It's really competing against the iPhone, as it's too small to really be an iPad competitor. Thus, the form factor should feel like a phone, and it doesn't.

And if you're not going to use it as a phone, you're going to feel kind of silly paying the monthly phone charges for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

yes its absolutely stupid and silly. as a threat to ipad for wireless only i could see it IF this thing works decently and it was much cheaper than the ipad. samsung is stupid if they think they can charge apple prices. would be like Ford thinking it can get Ferrari prices on its stuff. dumb.

Ummm, it doesn't have phone functionality for the U.S. market. In that sense, it will be like the iPad 3G. Do you guys even bother to research stuff before you bash competitors?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/s...ies-in-the-us/

Also, to say that it competes with the iPhone; the screen 3.5" larger diagonally than an iPhone and only 2.7" smaller diagonally than the iPad...

Read into that however you want.
post #56 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Have you ever heard the term proportions. Go calculate and get a tiny bit wiser if you can't grasp the difference by eye.

All Semantics: The fact is the Galaxy Tab is thinner by measurement, so therefore if the Galaxy Tab is being considered 'fat' then apparently the iPad is 'fatter' since it is (undisputedly) thicker by actual measurement..

Personally, I don't really care as long as the ergonomics are sound, but still - There's really nothing to debate here.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #57 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Ummm, it doesn't have phone functionality for the U.S. market. In that sense, it will be like the iPad 3G. Do you guys even bother to research stuff before you bash competitors?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/s...ies-in-the-us/

Also, to say that it competes with the iPhone; the screen 3.5" larger diagonally than an iPhone and only 2.7" smaller diagonally than the iPad...

Read into that however you want.

i can see how you might think i was agreeing with him on iphone, but i was just agreing with the silly pricing and payment options. i stated ipad in my quote.
post #58 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperez82 View Post

This is the article that the previous poster was referring to:

http://www.9to5mac.com/23083/samsung...=Google+Reader

Whether it is true or not is a different topic.

And here's the article yours was referring to: http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ne...26&query=APPLE


It says: "Sources from upstream component makers believe the device is aiming to compete against Apple's reportedly upcoming 7-inch iPad."


Here's the OP's claim: "Even Samsung admits they're aiming to copy a rumored 7" iPad."
post #59 of 235
In Apple's favor is their ability to out think every competitor that challenges them. Everything other than the iPad looks "half-baked".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #60 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really?

Then I guess the iPad is even 'fatter' given that the Galaxy Tab measures 190.09 x 120.45 x 11.98mm at .38kg yet the iPad comes in at 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4mm at .73kg.

Personally, I find the Galaxy the perfect size/weight for this kind of device as it's much easier to hold with one hand, and considerably lighter than my iPad.

I'll be comparing both extensively the minute I purchase my GalaxyTab upon its release.

A head to head apple vs the world war has broken out !!

apple will splinter the market w/ a larger and smaller touch/ face time phone
and also apple will bring on the market a fully loaded baby ipad .

i for one is building a fallout shelter until this is settled

duck !!


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #61 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

And here's the article yours was referring to: http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ne...26&query=APPLE


It says: "Sources from upstream component makers believe the device is aiming to compete against Apple's reportedly upcoming 7-inch iPad."


Here's the OP's claim: "Even Samsung admits they're aiming to copy a rumored 7" iPad."

... and in the real/rational world, the two meanings are not remotely the same.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #62 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its interesting that the two newest Android tablets from different vendors Ive read about in the last day have a wonky 1024x600 resolution (1:71 aspect ratio) with one being a 7 display and the other 10, but I am under the impression that Android v2.2 Froyo only natively supports resolutions up to 854×480. So are these some add on that will make 3rd-party apps not work right, is there a 1024x600 option built in, or will these be using a version of Android newer than 2.2?

mary shelley was born too early....missed out on some good material from google and vendors...
post #63 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Who cares? All that matters is how it feels when you hold it.
How heavy it is when you hold it a period of time...

Exactly my point. The thickness comment, aside from being incorrect, is irrelevant as a criteria.

But that doesn't stop people here from tacking on adjectives in an attempt to make the word "thinner" apply to the iPad.
post #64 of 235
I notice that the Android apologists (aka Apple bashers) are replying to every post except the ones that say anything about the price.

I wonder why that is. Could it be that they also know that this thing aint worth anything over $299 and that any price above this will be an epic fail.

Apple just makes it look easy... doesn't mean to say that it is...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #65 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Have you ever heard the term proportions.

That is not the attribute under discussion. It is a different topic entirely.

The claim was with regard to thickness, and not proportions.
post #66 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperez82 View Post

The iPad does have a 3'' larger screen

The real question, and maybe I just missed it, what is the battery life on this thing? Is it close to the 10hr+ life of the iPad?

Personally I couldn't care less about a thickness difference of 1.4 mm, event to quote the 1/100 of a mm is ridiculous. As the imprecise word fatter has been used, it is tempting to use the word slimness which has an engineering meaning by which the Ipad is 22% slimmer.

It is great to have some competition out there, I have no doubt that there is a market for a 7 inch unit, and with a forward facing camera for Skype a device like this can substitute for my wife's MB which is the sole reason I have not bought an IPad.

However if the prices that rumored this unit doesn't stand a chance (intentional disinformation?), and using computers as tools, not as a hobby, I don't care for the carriers screwing up the system, in effect each making their own version.
post #67 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It's a phone. It's really competing against the iPhone, as it's too small to really be an iPad competitor. Thus, the form factor should feel like a phone, and it doesn't.

And if you're not going to use it as a phone, you're going to feel kind of silly paying the monthly phone charges for it.

Its not a phone and why does it have to be a "competitor" to anything? There were tablets way before the ipad but nobody claimed Apple was competing against them.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #68 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I notice that the Android apologists (aka Apple bashers) are replying to every post except the ones that say anything about the price.

I wonder why that is. Could it be that they also know that this thing aint worth anything over $299 and that any price above this will be an epic fail.

Apple just makes it look easy... doesn't mean to say that it is...

That could well be because US Pricing Has Yet To be Announced, and any speculation until that time is little more than (potentially) faulty conjecture - \
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #69 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

All Semantics: The fact is the Galaxy Tab is thinner by measurement, so therefore if the Galaxy Tab is being considered 'fat' then apparently the iPad is 'fatter' since it is (undisputedly) thicker by actual measurement..

Personally, I don't really care as long as the ergonomics are sound, but still - There's really nothing to debate here.

I love it when a troll contradicts himself multiple times in a single post, especially when he doesn't even realize it.
post #70 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In Apple's favor is their ability to out think every competitor that challenges them. Everything other than the iPad looks "half-baked".

I dunno. IMO, the iPad is severely limited.

ISTM that the Tab is extremely more functional than the iPad. I'll take half baked over quarter-baked any day.
post #71 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

the Ipad is 22% slimmer.

I love you guys. The thicker product is "slimmer".

We need a new dictionary around here.
post #72 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I love it when a troll contradicts himself multiple times in a single post, especially when he doesn't even realize it.

I DON'T love it when a poster really has nothing constructive to ad to a thread topic, so they resort to inane/petty/silly nonsensical postings/flame baiting.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #73 of 235
[QUOTE=Newtron;1716193]The iPhone is available on over 150 carriers. I don't think we can blame ATT anymore.[/QUO

We're talking tablets here namely the iPad, ATT outbid every other carrier only to change their agreement that SJ promoted as revolutionary. Samsung is smart enough not to limit themselves to a single carrier.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #74 of 235
[QUOTE=dasanman69;1716247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The iPhone is available on over 150 carriers. I don't think we can blame ATT anymore.[/QUO

We're talking tablets here namely the iPad, ATT outbid every other carrier only to change their agreement that SJ promoted as revolutionary. Samsung is smart enough not to limit themselves to a single carrier.


The post I responded to had "Apple's Achilles heel" as its topic. I pointed out that far from one carrier being Apple's Achille's heel, Apple has over 150 carriers, so to the extent Apple has an Achille's hell, it ain't "one carrier".

Its difficult to keep up with the changes of topic and the misunderstandings and the misattributions that so often occur here. Usually, I just let them pass.
post #75 of 235
[QUOTE=dasanman69;1716247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The iPhone is available on over 150 carriers. I don't think we can blame ATT anymore.[/QUO

We're talking tablets here namely the iPad, ATT outbid every other carrier only to change their agreement that SJ promoted as revolutionary. Samsung is smart enough not to limit themselves to a single carrier.

I, personally, am still quite perturbed by the whole 'bait and switch' AT&T pulled on us iPad/Wifi+3g early adopters.

All they did was force those of us who want to maintain our 'unlimited data' packages into a never-ending contract.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #76 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I DON'T love it when a poster really has nothing constructive to ad to a thread topic, so they resort to inane/petty/silly nonsensical postings/flame baiting.

thinner thickener who cares i only want to know is all these androidian screens as good as apples ???

and i guess acer and coby will netbookize an ipad form for xmas

apple will now have to move ahead and make that nano phone

the ipad market is so large
and so much real estate is un claimed apple better wake up and add more form factors to the mix

in the end will glare and blu ray issues decide the fate of all our home grown trolls .


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #77 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

That is not the attribute under discussion. It is a different topic entirely.

The claim was with regard to thickness, and not proportions.

The dispute was about fatness not thickness if you want to be picky. And fatness is all about proportions. But maybe this knowledge has not yet reached all states of US.
post #78 of 235
[QUOTE=dasanman69;1716247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The iPhone is available on over 150 carriers. I don't think we can blame ATT anymore.[/QUO

We're talking tablets here namely the iPad, ATT outbid every other carrier only to change their agreement that SJ promoted as revolutionary. Samsung is smart enough not to limit themselves to a single carrier.

samsung is also a major supplier to many apple products
samsung is a great company
when samsung needs to make 19 versions of the same product to keep the low boys happy then well talk

and 12 versions of android are already making the app makers nuts

anyway
i decided to day to lie to my wife somehow and i'm gonna buy a touch or iphone
i will also buy a 2n or 3rd 160g classic to hide away

anyone who buy an ipad now is silly
ipad 3rd gen is what you want
unless you can sell off each gen and eat the spread


peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #79 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That could well be because US Pricing Has Yet To be Announced, and any speculation until that time is little more than (potentially) faulty conjecture - \

... and what has that got to do with what I posted...

> $299 = epic fail

What does it matter if we know the pricing or not?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #80 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Have you ever heard the term proportions. Go calculate and get a tiny bit wiser if you can't grasp the difference by eye.

Then by proportion, the iPhone is "fat" too.

"The eye" is often and easily fooled, if it weren't, we wouldn't have books on optical illusions.

The iPad's edges are thinner to aid the illusion of being thinner, but the overall device is thicker in absolute terms. But you are correct to say iPad is proportionally thinner, your original post on this didn't specify proportion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers