or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sould release an in-between iPad to exploit the scientific calculator market

Apple sould release an in-between iPad to exploit the scientific calculator market

post #1 of 5
I am a huge HP48GX and 50G user. RPN all the way. Like many in engineering, we all have our favorite calculator be it HP or TI.

A form factor in the middle would allow Apple to take advantage of the Scientific Calculator market and its users all the while reinventing the next generation calculator.

Granted, I know this market is very small but to the engineer and scientist, this would be huge.

We could have the power of desktop class calculators in the palm of our hand for a fraction of the cost. Calculations, programs, variables passed over 3G/wifi instead of infrared and cable.

Equation writing and sympbolic integration that would be finally easy to enter and manipulate.

m48+ is a good example of this. It is an emulator but of the 48GX. Not really cutting edge technology but what if for example HP was to write an App to take advantage of iOS on a Pad that is sized just right for this? Awesome.

Anyone else hoping for this type of stuff to happen? This is the calculator of tomorrow waiting to be used.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #2 of 5
I was an HP calculator user and rabid fan before Apple existed. I loved my recently deceased HP4 48GX. However, the i48 iPhone app persuaded me not to replace my dearly departed friend. There is certainly no need for Apple to develop a dedicated virtual calculator platform. The iPhone is already a superb platform for virtual calculators. What I would like to see is LiveMathMaker ported to the iPad. I would also like to see ports of Mathematica and Maple.
post #3 of 5
I just want a iPad that is smaller than now and bigger than the iPhone so I can put it on my desk and it not be too small or take up the space of a trapper keeper.

We are both after the same thing. Give me some MatLab.

I use m48+. I'll check out i48.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #4 of 5
http://www.mathworks.com/mobile/

Not quite matlab on the iPad...but if you can reach your matlab computer you can run matlab on your iPhone.
post #5 of 5
I started out with HP caculators years ago. Eventually moved up to HP 41C I believe which is probably more caculator than I needed. However I did install i41CX+ on my iPhone which works good enough for me.

However looking back on former usage and todays iPhone I'm not sure anbody would want to use an emulator full time. For this usage the touch screens suck. At least that is my impression using an emulator on an iPhone 3G. Occasional usage is one thing where occasional is maybey 15 minutes out of the day. After that give me a real keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I am a huge HP48GX and 50G user. RPN all the way. Like many in engineering, we all have our favorite calculator be it HP or TI.

I'm surprised more use of things like scripting aren't used. Python would be good. The problem with the old HP units is that code at times isn't all that easy to maintain.
Quote:
A form factor in the middle would allow Apple to take advantage of the Scientific Calculator market and its users all the while reinventing the next generation calculator.

Well we can add that to the list. I'm looking for something in the 5 to 7 inch range myself.
Quote:

Granted, I know this market is very small but to the engineer and scientist, this would be huge.

IPhone has some rather incredible computational abilities so performance isn't an issue. In many cases though couldn't you simple develop for iPhone ditectly. That is write an app. IPhone now supports BLAS.

The difference is you are writting in some variant of C as opposed to RPN. Slower to write yes, but probably worthwhile for programs used often. In a sense loading a specific app is about the same as loading an RPM program.
Quote:
We could have the power of desktop class calculators in the palm of our hand for a fraction of the cost. Calculations, programs, variables passed over 3G/wifi instead of infrared and cable.

While a smaller iPad makes a lot of sense, for many thing beyound calculators, I'm still not convinced iPad makes sense simple due to the touch screen. Oh and rubber feet, I hate it when the iPhone slides around.
Quote:
Equation writing and sympbolic integration that would be finally easy to enter and manipulate.

How would it be easy? Mind you a glass screen.

Unless of course you write a task specific app
Quote:
m48+ is a good example of this. It is an emulator but of the 48GX. Not really cutting edge technology but what if for example HP was to write an App to take advantage of iOS on a Pad that is sized just right for this? Awesome.

You do realize that HP has caculators in app store already. Maybe not what you want but it never hurts to prime the engines by looking.
Quote:
Anyone else hoping for this type of stuff to happen? This is the calculator of tomorrow waiting to be used.

Sadly no. Anything non trivial will likely turn into an app. For the trivial the are already many calculator apps for the platform. For the non trivial and beyound what we need is a good scripting language. Something Python like would do.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple sould release an in-between iPad to exploit the scientific calculator market
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sould release an in-between iPad to exploit the scientific calculator market