or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales

Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales

post #1 of 156
Citing strong pre-orders and a seasonal holiday lift, the spokesman for Microsoft's Kinect, a motion-tracking camera accessory for the Xbox 360, said the device would easily outsell the iPad.

Microsoft Game Studios manager Kudo Tsunoda made the claim in an interview with gaming industry blog Gamasutra at the Tokyo Game Show. Originally known as Project Natal, Kinect will launch in North America on November 4.

"The preorders have been really strong. As far as what we're looking at for Holiday, this is going to be stuff that'll blow away any of the sales you've seen with iPad," said Tsunoda, when asked about the device's chance of success.

Tsunoda remains confident that the device's deep gameplay and wide appeal will help drive sales past the iPad. "I think we're just getting back to a style of gameplay that includes more people and still has the depth of gameplay everybody loves," Tsunoda says.

Kinect will have high expectations to live up to. Apple sold over 1 million iPads in 28 days, and over 3 million in its first quarter. Earlier this month, analyst Katy Huberty with Morgan Stanley believes iPad production has reached 2 million per month. Apple reportedly hopes to reach production of 3 million a month by the end of the year.

Competition for retail floor space will be fierce this season. According to the Wall Street Journal, Best Buy plans to showcase the iPad and Kindle while also making space for demonstrations of Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's Playstation Move.
post #2 of 156
And bananas will outsell mosquito repellent.

How are Kinect and iPad even remotely similar? Okay, they're both electronic. Is MS THAT desperate to say it outsold Apple? Didn't they 'win' the desktop OS wars?

I am confuse.
post #3 of 156
Citing strong pre-orders and a seasonal holiday lift, the spokesman for Microsoft's Kinect, a motion-tracking camera accessory for the Xbox 360, said the device would easily outsell the iPad.
So can I run the apps on it?
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #4 of 156
someone needs to check the water in redmond.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #5 of 156
Wow. That whole thing reads like one long non sequitur, assembled by cutting and pasting disparate press releases.

I don't think it's necessary for AI to follow MS down that rabbit hole, reporting on their ravings as if it made a lick of sense.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #6 of 156
Wow, what a silly thing to say. They are not competing products. They aren't even at the same price point. It just shows how much everyone has their targets on Apple I guess.
post #7 of 156
Well that was....odd.

Is this still topical to AppleInsider? Would I read this news in HotRod Magazine if he said it would outsell the Camaro?
post #8 of 156
Microsoft makes me lol when they do this, because they fail even more in the end. Wasn't Vista supposed to be awesome? Wasn't Windows Phone supposed to be innovative? Please. -_-
post #9 of 156
I don't see anything wrong with the comparison. If I say the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread, it doesn't imply that I believe that it is in any way a substitute for sliced bread. Perhaps ham, maybe cheese. He's only acknowledging the strong initial sales, for Pete's sake.
post #10 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronked View Post

Wow, what a silly thing to say. They are not competing products. They aren't even at the same price point. It just shows how much everyone has their targets on Apple I guess.

Agreed. Samsung, LG, and all the others have been talking about the iPad. " LOL THE SAMSUNG TABLET WILL SELL WITH EVERYONE IT'LL KICK BUTT" Then with LG "LETS FIRE THE CEO GUYS " >_>
post #11 of 156
What's really happened here is not just that iPad - the product - has become a benchmark for would-be tablet competitors to emulate and surpass, but iPad SALES has become the benchmark and emblem for the marketing success of practically any electronics introduction.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #12 of 156
Heh, I think they should be more concerned about the Nintendo Wii and Sony Move rather than the iPad.

As mentioned multiple times, the Kinect cannot be compared against the iPad no matter how you look at it.
post #13 of 156
If it's not Apple then it's garbage - Big surprise on the comments.
post #14 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Wow. That whole thing reads like one long non sequitur, assembled by cutting and pasting disparate press releases.

I don't think it's necessary for AI to follow MS down that rabbit hole, reporting on their ravings as if it made a lick of sense.

The original source reads like Mad-Libs: Journalism Edition…

“Hey guys, I need the name of popular tech device”
“iPad”
“Thanks. Processing article now."

Seriously though, to me this shows just how big the iPad is if these non-tablet device that is just an accessory to a game console is being compared to the iPad. How many 260s have they sold and are they really expecting 2M (or 3M) units per month to be sold this holiday quarter or is just hyperbole?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #15 of 156
Quote:

There is only one connection.

Microsoft is using the iPad to get visibility for their Kinect product. They want to latch onto the iPad free press to drive their own product that as we know doesn't compete against the iPad.
post #16 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the comparison. If I say the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread, it doesn't imply that I believe that it is in any way a substitute for sliced bread. Perhaps ham, maybe cheese. He's only acknowledging the strong initial sales, for Pete's sake.

Um, "best thing since sliced bread" is a common and long standing turn of phrase, hence the fact that no one is confused about the actual relative merits of bread vs. whatever, whereas MS is making a specific comparison between completely unrelated products.

So it's sort of like imagining the phrase "there's more than one way to skin a cat" makes sense out of someone announcing that they're going to market a new device to crush your dog's head.
post #17 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hmm...thanks for the input. I made a few changes, hopefully it reads better.
post #18 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Do you just copy and paste snark without bothering to read the thread or are you just kinda stupid?

We're talking about the utter inappropriateness of the comment, not the relative merits of the products. Because, you know, they don't have any relative merits.
post #19 of 156
Fail. Epic fail. For one thing, they are nothing like in the same product category. And, it's almost certainly not going to happen. Microsoft's continuing arrogant confidence, and repeated failings to deliver, have earned it a name as an incompetent company. And they still haven't learned to predict the future realistically and save themselves a heap of embarrassment.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
I am the Great Bug

post #20 of 156
Quote:

Whoa, you're an idiot.
I am the Great Bug

I am the Great Bug

post #21 of 156
Quote:

The Kinect Xbox 360 bundle will be at a similar pricepoint. 360 + Kinect Elite bundle should be around $399.

Given that Apple is pushing the iPad as a gaming device among other things, and Microsoft is pushing Xbox as a multimedia platform, I think there will be some competition.

I'm sure Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Sony are all very conscious of holiday wishlists. In that sense, they compete. Imagine some 13 year old kid who's going to get one big Christmas present this year: if he doesn't have a 360 or an iPad already, those are going to be at the top of his list.
post #22 of 156
Just curious what the average purchase price for a Kinect will be compared to that of the iPad. If they aren't even in the same ballpark then the tenuous connection between the two is even shakier than I thought.

Are we talking Toyotas to BMWs here?

Edit: Joshong snuck in during composition.
post #23 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Just curious what the average purchase price for a Kinect will be compared to that of the iPad. If they aren't even in the same ballpark then the tenuous connection between the two is even shakier than I thought.

Are we talking Toyotas to BMWs here?

Edit: Joshong snuck in during composition.

Standalone kinect should be about $150. Xbox 360 and kinect about $299. Xbox 360 with hard-drive and kinect should be $399.

iPad average selling price was $640 last quarter.
post #24 of 156
It really has become Apple against the world, hasn't it? Do you notice that you can't really find anything out on the web about the different Android phones/tablets against each other? It's all about them against the lone Apple iPhone or the iPad. The media makes it seem like Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Dell, etc. along with Microsoft and Google are all allies fighting the one evil figure: Apple. It's a rather funny thing to observe when all these companies are, in reality, pummeling each other more than they're fighting Apple. Even Microsoft at its peak in the mid-to-late 90's didn't garner this kind of attention that Apple is getting.
post #25 of 156
Procter & Gamble will sell more packages of Pringles than Apple will sell units of iPads.
Shocking.
Film at 11 or 10 or 9 depending upon your time zone and viewing habits.
post #26 of 156
yes, and coca cola just announced they will sell more cans of cherry coke...nothing to see here
post #27 of 156
People 'claim' a lot of things... Some come true, some don't.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #28 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Whoa, you're an idiot.

what he said.
post #29 of 156
So 'Sells like the iPad' has become the new 'Selling like hotcakes'?

I have all three of this generation of consoles and I just can't get excited about Kinect. The Sony Move is likely what I'll get - I'm thinking an accurate pointing device may help with FPS accuracy and the analog widget for movement may really help achieve mouse-keyboard parity.

Now show me how Kinect could help with, say, racing games etc. and my excitement would go up. For instance, if Kinnect could track leaning for turning in a motorcycle racer, we might finally get something that closed in on a racing seat/force-feedback wheel setup for auto racing games. But will they go there?
post #30 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

I think the buffoon mentioned iPad because he knew it would get headlines since most headlines these days need a "keyword" in them to get attention. So, basically MS is riding the coattails of iPad's popularity.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 156
Quote:

I am the lamb of God. The unbelievers must be cleansed.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 156
Maybe the Kinect will be as successful as the Kin.
post #33 of 156
I think the Camera interface will be the next big thing after the touch interface, and Apple missed an opportunity to put a user-facing camera on the new Apple TV.

Or maybe Apple are in fact on top of this, and the "big thing" in Mac OS X 10.7 will be to use the iMac's camera to support Minority Report style gestures?

Edit: how cool would Coverflow be if you could just sit back on the couch and flick through the albums with a flick of your hand?
post #34 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Lol, even though I hate texas (i joke just Bush), I gotta say that made me laugh. I think Xbox is doing much better then windows mobile devision, so I wouldn;t be surprised if for a month or so Kinnect would outsell the iPad. But that's comparing apples and oranges.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #35 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

You have to wonder if they thought about renaming it after Kin failed so miserably.
post #36 of 156
Quote:

Cheeseburgers sells more than apples but imo apples are better for you. I am also pretty sure pepsi sells more cans than apple juice.
post #37 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the buffoon mentioned iPad...

Isn't that supposed to be "boffin?"
post #38 of 156
Why, Microsoft? Why? You're supposed to be this big, powerful organization that's trying to take on the Apples and Googles of the world, yet you keep doing stuff like this and having that stupid funeral for the iPhone and Blackberry.

Get it together!
post #39 of 156
More bottles of milk than ipads!
More hamburgers n fries than ipads!
More dog collars than ipads!
More global cars sold, too!
Wow!

Hey, Mr. Ballmer! How about a ms tablet, integrated with hardware, OS, SDKs, an app store full o apps-

selling more than ipads?

One single company selling more tablets than ipads?
post #40 of 156
... but MS just keeps on a'jumpin.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft manager claims Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales