or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Best Buy CEO backpedals on iPad cannibalization comment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Buy CEO backpedals on iPad cannibalization comment - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Cannibalization??? Om nom nom nom!!!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

[/B]
I'll give you an example of "language problems" ... all with humorous results:

''See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.''
President George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

''I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office.''
President George W. Bush, in an interview with the Jerusalem Post, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

''Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.''
President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

I still miss his "unintended" humor......

In light of the unabashed nonsense served up by his replacement, I miss his governance...
post #43 of 95
Quote:
It's not cannibalization unless the iPad is eating into Apples notebook sales, which hasn't been the case.

It could be viewed as cannabalisation from BestBuys point of view, if people are no longer buying notebooks from them but are buying iPads instead, then its cannabalised BestBuys sales but not Apples
post #44 of 95
Perhaps it was HP or other manufacturers. The 50% figure is probably too high, but there's still a sales dropoff of major proportions.

Once again, it's not "cannibalization" if it's not interfering with the sales of Apple's laptops and iMacs. If it's driving losses for HP and Asus and Acer and all the others, then it's called "competing successfully."

Quite clearly, the iPad is likely replacing sales of low-cost PCs and such. Since these are low margin products, any decline of sales is drastic. You go from making almost nothing to making less than almost nothing.
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

[/B]

I'll give you an example of "language problems" ... all with humorous results:

''See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.''
President George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

''I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office.''
President George W. Bush, in an interview with the Jerusalem Post, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

''Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.''
President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

I still miss his "unintended" humor......

Oh don't worry. When Palin gets in you'll have your most unintended Presidential humor ever, in spades. It'll be a never ending onslaught of it.
post #46 of 95


I don't believe that's true. An iPad working as a digital slate on a television shoot.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Tablets are the future of non-work computing.
post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

In light of the unabashed nonsense served up by his replacement, I miss his governance...

Considering that there are 8 years of GWB's "governance" to judge his ability to govern, plus a helluva different starting point, with a balanced budget vs trillions of $$ in debt for starters .... I'll have to wait awhile before I can judge performance levels based on anything other than personal bias, which, of course, is the only reasonable thing to do, wouldn't you agree?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #48 of 95
I would agree that few people are likely using their iPad as their only computer today. To keep it in context the iPad is only 5 months old.

The way I see people using iPads around New York City. I have no doubt in the near future it will become more commonly used as a primary computing device.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

An honest question: have you tried using an iPad as your only computer?

I have yet to see many reports of anyone doing that. I can't remember having read even one. That isn't to say it isn't happening. But it must be quite rare.
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Oh don't worry. When Palin gets in you'll have your most unintended Presidential humor ever, in spades. It'll be a never ending onslaught of it.

I should be lucky enough to live that long .... .... having said that, why wait for something that will never (likely) happen?

''They are kooks, so I agree with Rush Limbaugh. Rush Limbaugh was using satire ... I didn't hear Rush Limbaugh calling a group of people whom he did not agree with 'f-ing retards,' and we did know that Rahm Emanuel, as has been reported, did say that. There is a big difference there.''

Sarah Palin, attempting to rationalize why it's okay for Limbaugh to use the word ''retards'' but not Emanuel, FOX News Sunday interview, Feb. 7, 2010

''Extreme deep water drilling is not the preferred choice to meet our country's energy needs, but your protests and lawsuits and lies about onshore and shallow water drilling have locked up safer areas. It's catching up with you. The tragic, unprecedented deep water Gulf oil spill proves it.''

Sarah Palin, blaming the Gulf oil spill disaster on ''extreme environmentalists,'' Facebook message, June 2, 2010

'''Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'''

-a Tweet sent by Sarah Palin in response to being ridiculed for inventing the word ''refudiate,'' proudly mistaking her illiteracy for literary genius, July 18, 2010


Gotta love it. ....
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #50 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would agree that few people are likely using their iPad as their only computer today. To keep it in context the iPad is only 5 months old.

The way I see people using iPads around New York City. I have no doubt in the near future it will become more commonly used as a primary computing device.

"primary" seems reasonable. But it isn't the same thing as "only".

For some reason, this seems like predictions of a paperless office. I predict that few people will use a tablet computer as their one and only computer. Computers will continue to come down in price and the result will be nearly everyone owning more form factors, including a tablet.
post #51 of 95
I see what you are saying. No, Apple didn't really design the iPad to be your "only" computing device.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

"primary" seems reasonable. But it isn't the same thing as "only".
post #52 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk View Post

Although this is not the primary topic for this thread, since I have noticed the debate was going into this direction, I feel encouraged to continue...

Here is a quote from former President GW Bush (my favorite, actually). NB : I have translated it from French (I am french, sorry, nobody's perfect ..). It is not verbatim, because of this, but I guarantee the sincerity of the translation, as far as my English makes it possible :

"The invisible part of all you think you can see, you cannot see it" (talking about Israel and palestine, interviewed by ITN, Crawford, April 5th, 2002)

Ha ha ... I don't know which is funnier .... the GWB quote or your signature (Frank Zappa quote) ... thanks for that.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #53 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

With our help, we (Apple Junkies) can make this happen. Spread the word, tell your friends, neighbor, co-workers.

Skip


Why do you care what other people buy?
post #54 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

When a consumer is faced with the decision between a netbook's small form and "almost a laptop" shortcomings or an exciting, light weight, touch screen gadget with the support of a deep and wide app store for the same amount of money.... which would you choose, the past or the future?

I was waiting for the apple tablet. When I saw the iPad intro, I was disappointed. Within weeks, I bought a Dell Mini 10.

It is a much better device for my son than the iPad would have been. For example, it plays common video codecs and it can be plugged into the big screen TV and the big sound system to play HD movies with 5.1 sound.

And the software selection for it makes the iTunes store look positively anemic. He has access to the whole world of computing and not just little slices here and there.
post #55 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

the only people who vaguely consider buying any computer at Best Buy are not informed consumers and certainly not even moderately experienced computer users.

This is just plain ignorance and bigotry. If you have valid points, make them.

But insulting millions of people with this sort of bullshit crosses the line.
post #56 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

What I've never understood is those crappy netbook things. Miserable form factor, useless keyboard, cheap construction, pathetic performance for a computer, and a screen that is too small to effectively use conventional software.

I've never used one of those. But the Dell Mini 10 I bought for my son has none of those attributes. None.

Indeed, it performs better than the HP laptop I bought 5 years ago or so. Accordingly, it performs better than many Mac laptops from 4 years ago or so.
post #57 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

It is a much better device for my son than the iPad would have been.

You have a son? .... my condolences .... to your son. For his sake, I can only hope you don't fill him with the same negative, hateful bullshit that you keep spewing here on such a regular basis. Good luck to your son.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #58 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You have a son? .... my condolences .... to your son. For his sake, I can only hope you don't fill him with the same negative, hateful bullshit that you keep spewing here on such a regular basis. Good luck to your son.

<plonk>
post #59 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I see what you are saying. No, Apple didn't really design the iPad to be your "only" computing device.

My iPad is a luxury purchase. I use it as a novelty, on a whim, when ever it suits my mood. It would never be my primary computer. I have many computers. My iMac gets the most attention. It never shuts down. I let it run 24/7.

All of the people I know who have purchased iPads, are also people with many computers, iPhones, MacBooks, etc and they are all complete Mac freaks anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #60 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I've never used one of those. But the Dell Mini 10 I bought for my son has none of those attributes. None.

Indeed, it performs better than the HP laptop I bought 5 years ago or so. Accordingly, it performs better than many Mac laptops from 4 years ago or so.

Any particular reason that you hang out in an Apple forum, other than getting your jollies from irritating people?

Really, you need to get a life.
post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Any particular reason that you hang out in an Apple forum, other than getting your jollies from irritating people?

Really, you need to get a life.

Apparently to annoy you, as you are the only 1 that takes the time (on every one of his postings) to point out how much he annoys you.

So...

Really, I think you should ask yourself. Why are you replying rather than putting him on your ignore list?
I'd say on an intelligence level he's got 1 up on you...

You take the time to read posts that you know are going to annoy you.
post #62 of 95
Says the fellow "never saw an Apple product or user that he didn't have contempt for but inexplicably chooses to post on an Apple enthusiast site" guy. I'll give you this, though: you don't have Newtron's penchant for compulsive multiple posts in a row thing, in which he apparently feels a need to respond to each and every person in every thread (although all I'm seeing is a kind of funny half page of Newtron headers, which when seen bare look like evidence of pathology).

Still, I take your point (edits ignore list).
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Apparently to annoy you, as you are the only 1 that takes the time (on every one of his postings) to point out how much he annoys you.

So...

Really, I think you should ask yourself. Why are you replying rather than putting him on your ignore list?
I'd say on an intelligence level he's got 1 up on you...

You take the time to read posts that you know are going to annoy you.

Oh, the same comment as above holds in your case too.

Just expressing an opinion, that's all.

("Every one of his posts?", Newtron has 630+ posts in a little over a month, quite a lot for someone who has mostly negative things to say about Apple; I've probably responded to him maybe a dozen times -- so don't exaggerate......)
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

(edits ignore list).

I should perhaps start.

I am loathe to 'ignore' someone for their views. I figure it's better to (occasionally) confront them when the blather gets really offensive.
post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I should perhaps start.

I am loathe to 'ignore' someone for their views. I figure it's better to (occasionally) confront them when the blather gets really offensive.


I loathe reading your comments on how posts annoy you.

See how that works?

If you have no control over your tolerance, and you have to reply in a negative manner than I think we'd all be better off if you start using the ignore feature.
post #66 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I should perhaps start.

I am loathe to 'ignore' someone for their views. I figure it's better to (occasionally) confront them when the blather gets really offensive.

I don't mind going back and forth with someone on a particular issue, if that someone has a track record which suggests that might be interesting.

My ignore list criterion is simple: if a given poster does literally nothing but run down Apple and/or trumpet the virtues of other platforms (which lately pretty much means Android enthusiasts with some kind of compulsion to argue), or if a given poster spends an undue amount of time snarling about "Apple people" and their many manifest psychological shortcomings, then I don't see any reason to read their posts. Because I already know the broad outlines of what they have to say.

So as I scan threads with a lot of ignored posts, I can just mentally go "Apple sux, fan boy, Android does that better, Apple didn't invent anything, Jobs is evil, poser, hipster, App Store sux, fan boy." Not surprisingly, it also clears out a lot of the ancillary bickering and trivial tit for tat, because a lot of that is just flack from the same people.

Saves time.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

I loathe reading your comments on how posts annoy you.

See how that works?

If you have no control over your tolerance, and you have to reply in a negative manner than I think we'd all be better off if you start using the ignore feature.

Someone with even average intelligence can plainly see how your own comment applies to you as well!

Oh, wait......
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't mind going back and forth with someone on a particular issue, if that someone has a track record which suggests that might be interesting.

My ignore list criterion is simple: if a given poster does literally nothing but run down Apple and/or trumpet the virtues of other platforms (which lately pretty much means Android enthusiasts with some kind of compulsion to argue), or if a given poster spends an undue amount of time snarling about "Apple people" and their many manifest psychological shortcomings, then I don't see any reason to read their posts. Because I already know the broad outlines of what they have to say.

So as I scan threads with a lot of ignored posts, I can just mentally go "Apple sux, fan boy, Android does that better, Apple didn't invent anything, Jobs is evil, poser, hipster, App Store sux, fan boy." Not surprisingly, it also clears out a lot of the ancillary bickering and trivial tit for tat, because a lot of that is just flack from the same people.

Saves time.

You do have a point.
post #69 of 95
I got my iPad the day they went on sale, and as time goes by I find myself using it less and less, even with 4.2 on it. The lack of a keyboard really makes it "not very useful" for me. I absolutely HATE typing on the thing... it is so slow to type on! I'm moving back to my netbook more and more because it has a keyboard and can really multitask. Between taking 37 hours to sync (not joking!!! I timed it) and the lack of keyboard my iPad has pretty much been relegated to playing Angry Birds and Zinio these days. My phone fits in my pocket and does a great job of checking email, my Kindle is great for reading books, but for any computing need beyond that the netbook makes the next most suitable device. I'm not saying I wish I hadn't bought it, but over time it is becoming less and less useful for me, not more useful. I use my netbook multiple times daily, but the iPad sits on the dock for days at a time without being used. So for me the iPad has definitely not replaced a netbook, it has actually happened the other way around.
post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post

I got my iPad the day they went on sale, and as time goes by I find myself using it less and less, even with 4.2 on it. The lack of a keyboard really makes it "not very useful" for me. .... Between taking 37 hours to sync (not joking!!! I timed it) and the lack of keyboard .....

37 hours! Wow. No wonder you've given up on it. I would too. Fortunately, that sort of thing must be a complete outlier, for otherwise, the iPad would not be such a blockbuster performer taking market share away from Netbooks. (Speaking for myself, the first-time sync -- about 55GB -- took the longest, about 40 mins; it's been pretty quick after that).

Btw, it is a bit surprising that you are so averse to a large touch-based keyboard, and yet happy with an iPhone (which has a much smaller keyboard)!
post #71 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, the same comment as above holds in your case too.

Just expressing an opinion, that's all.

("Every one of his posts?", Newtron has 630+ posts in a little over a month, quite a lot for someone who has mostly negative things to say about Apple; I've probably responded to him maybe a dozen times -- so don't exaggerate......)

Oh, I see...

Someone that has 5,400 posts in 4 years or almost 15 posts a day doesn't suggest obsession or lack of a social life.

I can see why I'd take your advice. You seem much more reasonable.
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post

I got my iPad the day they went on sale, and as time goes by I find myself using it less and less (...) The lack of a keyboard really makes it "not very useful" for me. I absolutely HATE typing on the thing... it is so slow to type on!

...so why not get a cheap bluetooth keyboard?
post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

...so why not get a cheap bluetooth keyboard?

...so why not just use a real computer?
post #74 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

You take the time to read posts that you know are going to annoy you.

And annoy those of us that put him on ignore...
post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Oh, I see...

Someone that has 5,400 posts in 4 years or almost 15 posts a day doesn't suggest obsession or lack of a social life.

I can see why I'd take your advice. You seem much more reasonable.

You know, pretty much all OSs ship these days with a calculator...
post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Oh, I see...

Someone that has 5,400 posts in 4 years or almost 15 posts a day doesn't suggest obsession or lack of a social life.

I can see why I'd take your advice. You seem much more reasonable.

If you're going to jump on somebody ..... you should first "do your homework" ... it will save you from looking like a fool.

5400 * 4 years =1350 posts /year .... * 365 =3.69 posts per day ..... not even close to 15. No soup for you.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #77 of 95
This much is clear: BestBuy's CEO is so in love with the iPad he can't stop talking about it. Maybe in a few days he'll offer a clarification on his clarification.
post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If you're going to jump on somebody ..... you should first "do your homework" ... it will save you from looking like a fool.

5400 * 4 years =1350 posts /year .... * 365 =3.69 posts per day ..... not even close to 15. No soup for you.

Thanks.

And, 630/30 = 21/day (Newtron).

PS: And, as a bonus, at least, I like Apple.
post #79 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Oh, I see...

Someone that has 5,400 posts in 4 years or almost 15 posts a day doesn't suggest obsession or lack of a social life.

I can see why I'd take your advice. You seem much more reasonable.

Leaving aside your arithmetic skills, me give you advice? Look, those who get it don't need advice, and those who need advice don't get it.

Get it?
post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

An honest question: have you tried using an iPad as your only computer?

I have yet to see many reports of anyone doing that. I can't remember having read even one. That isn't to say it isn't happening. But it must be quite rare.

Lets see. For $650 any business can buy a pretty good off the shelf PC with plenty of duo core power, 2 gb of ram and 500 gb of storage space. Its probably overpowered for 50% plus of the people who have them on their desk. That leaves a lot of room for future when more power is needed to run more full featured applications. Not any of this mini-app stuff that runs on phone OS. Plenty of business software available for any need also.

Now consider the iPad. $499 to $830. Runs mini-software. Some business software available. Runs music, videos, and is great at internet access. Great ways to spend your free time.

PC's are the core of businesses. Plenty of cheap computing power.

iPad's are great for killing your free time.

Move along to three years later when tablets have 8 core cpu, more storage power, lower prices, more ports for flexibility, the ability to run full featured software, etc, etc, then I can see PC's dying and tablets taking over.

One last note. NEVER believe anything that Best (Worst) Buy tells you!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Best Buy CEO backpedals on iPad cannibalization comment