or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple planning standalone digital newsstand app for iPad - report

Apple planning standalone digital newsstand app for iPad - report

post #1 of 69
Apple is rumored to be creating a new digital storefront for newspapers and magazines that, like iBooks does for print books, will serve as a standalone iPad app for purchasing repurposed print content.

The new store, according to Bloomberg, will be separate from the established App Store and iBooks applications. The product is said to be in the early planning stages, as negotiations with major content providers are reportedly ongoing.

"Apples effort is aimed at luring more consumers to the iPad and helping publishers sell subscriptions, rather than single issues," the report said. "The main hang-ups between Apple and publishers including Time Warner Inc., Conde Nast, Hearst Corp. and News Corp. are who controls data about users and how to split subscription revenue, the people said. Pricing for subscriptions also hasnt been worked out."

People involved in the discussions reportedly said the digital newsstand could open as soon as in a few months, or the talks could fall apart altogether. It was also suggested that Apple could wait until it launches its next-generation iPad in early 2011 before unveiling the new store.

The plans are said to be part of Apple's ongoing talks with print publishers who want to offer subscription plans for customers to access content from the iPad. This week, it was reported that Apple has agreed to allow an opt-in function which would let subscribers share their personal information with publications. The print business relies on demographic information to share data with advertisers.

Te new application will reportedly "make it easier and cheaper to create digital versions of magazines and newspapers, with extras such as high-resolution videos integrated with stories." The storefront will aim to simplify the process, in order to attract publishers.

Before the iPad was released earlier this year, publishers and Apple were said to have struggled to reach a deal, as Apple was reluctant to share consumer data beyond sales volume. But advertisers and publishers consider demographic data to be the "most valuable asset."
post #2 of 69
As with so many other subscription services on the iPad, the price must be right for the service to be a success and worthwhile to the consumer.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #3 of 69
Perfect timing. I mean it's only been 9 months and because I got tired of waiting I bought 4 subscriptions through Zinio.
post #4 of 69
As long as it not called "Newsstand" then I welcome it. That double "S" looks messy.
post #5 of 69
Hopefully this gets worked out, although I wouldn't count on it. Then again who would ever think that CD's would be old technology.
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

As long as it not called "Newsstand" then I welcome it. That double "S" looks messy.

Newsrack. Buying out the app that currently owns the name.

[insert bs here]
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #7 of 69
Quote:

It'll be called iNews.
post #8 of 69
Apple will introduce many more stores...

Music Store \t\t\t\t(Buy music and music videos)
Movie and TV Show Store \t(Buy/Rent Movies, TV Shows, Free podcasts and University Classes)
Book Store \t\t\t\t(Buy Books)
Magazine + Newspaper store \t(Subscribe to news papers and magazines)
TV Broadcast Store \t\t(Subscribe to TV Channels packages)
Training Store\t\t\t(Enroll in training classes for credits and degrees)
iOS Application store\t\t(Buy iOS applications for various devices)
Advertising store\t\t\t(Buy iAD advertising)
MobileMe store\t\t\t(Buy various MobileMe Services)

Time will tell.
post #9 of 69
I would love to get rid of the stack of printed magazines on my coffee table, and this could be the thing that gets me to jump on the bandwagon. But it's got to cost no more than the printed subscription price (ie, not news stand price) and ideally I'd be able to print. And I can't imagine the publishers could make a valid argument to disallow that...they'd make an argument, but it wouldn't be valid because I already get a printed copy that I can do all kinds of things with that I wouldn't be able to do with an electronic copy...all of them perfectly legal and within my rights.
post #10 of 69
It had to happen sometime. Having a bunch of separate apps for newspaper/magazine-like content is extremely annoying, plus the fact that there's no consistency between how apps are controlled.

But of course, media companies should be careful throwing all their eggs in one basket. The music companies are ruled by Apple, and no other industry wants to lose control to just one player.
post #11 of 69
I wouldn't be surprised but if they are just now getting started we could be two years out from seeing it released. I guess the idea is to get everything ready for iPad 2 but I think it is going to take a little while for print publishers to accept any Apple terms for subscriptions. Apple had a hard enough time with iBooks and it lacks content compared to Kindle and Nook.

I am also annoyed a little about this. Why does Apple need to make so many store fronts? Is it the Apple "simple" way or is there something more to it? Do they want to be more organised? I mean currently discovery is terrible inside iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store. Maybe they want more stores fronts to hide the fact that they can't figure out how to make discovering new things "simple" on mobile devices outside of using search and knowing what you are looking for. Because the top lists, featured items, and categories isn't quite cutting it anymore. It is better than what Android offers but not by much.
post #12 of 69
iBook, iNews, do iCare? iSuppose so if iFavored the iPad over physical paper subscriptions. The "i" naming scheme is getting tiresome. \
post #13 of 69
iRag seems fit, guess it's unlikely.
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

iBook, iNews, do iCare? iSuppose so if iFavored the iPad over physical paper subscriptions. The "i" naming scheme is getting tiresome. \

iDiot -- sorry, couldn't resist - only kidding.
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTiM View Post

iDiot -- sorry, couldn't resist - only kidding.

Revealing the meaning of the "i" ain't no joke...
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

media companies should be careful throwing all their eggs in one basket. The music companies are ruled by Apple, and no other industry wants to lose control to just one player

I'm sorry, what? Apple is just a store like any other, take the other grossly large stores such as Tesco in the UK or Walmart in the US. No-one would say that music companies or publishers should be concerned about selling their wares through them. They make business decisions, that's all, and if they can save money on printing and distribution including Apple's cut, they'll do it. If not, they won't. Simple as. There's no need to spread bull FUD.

Pesonally, I would like to see single issues, and both magazines and iBooks DRM-free. Maybe if you can send it to a friend, they can digitally crinkle the pages a little, and you can't read yours til they "give it back". That'd be a laugh.
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Perfect timing. I mean it's only been 9 months and because I got tired of waiting I bought 4 subscriptions through Zinio.

Indeed. Zinio is probably a little scared right now. But just a little. If this is just for iOS devices, then Zinio's ability to be read on iOS, Mac and PC will be its advantage.
post #18 of 69
What the publishers won't say is that their costs are completely paid by advertising. The magazines give their subscription income to companies like EBSCO because of this. Any income they get from apple is gravy. Don't think that Apple is taking advantage of them. Like many others they love to make someone else the bad guy.
post #19 of 69
How does this differ from any magazine subscription model?

Sound like Apple just want to put an i in front of another word and call it innovative?

Where is Time Magazine, Golf Digest etc and how and why is this new News Rag model any different from what they already haven't accomplished.

iDon't want 50 apps for what "I" can get for free right now on the internet.

i guess I just read it differently.
post #20 of 69
This is a good idea. The model where the publishers make their own apps has had very mixed results. I guess they're publishers not programmers.
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

I'm sorry, what? Apple is just a store like any other, take the other grossly large stores such as Tesco in the UK or Walmart in the US. No-one would say that music companies or publishers should be concerned about selling their wares through them. They make business decisions, that's all, and if they can save money on printing and distribution including Apple's cut, they'll do it. If not, they won't. Simple as. There's no need to spread bull FUD.

Pesonally, I would like to see single issues, and both magazines and iBooks DRM-free. Maybe if you can send it to a friend, they can digitally crinkle the pages a little, and you can't read yours til they "give it back". That'd be a laugh.

BS, Apple screwed the music industry and the movie and publishing industry have learned never to give 1 company that much power again.

Apple to the Movie or Publishing industry is just another WalMart to sell their widgets.
post #22 of 69
This is what I’ve been wanting since before the iPad arrived. I want my newspaper and periodical subscriptions to be pushed to my iPad and ready to read when I pick it up.

[edit: I realized I was replying to an old troll under a new alias]
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 69
I can almost hear the Google programmers rushing to their work stations to start creating this for Android ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

How does this differ from any magazine subscription model?

Sound like Apple just want to put an i in front of another word and call it innovative?

Where is Time Magazine, Golf Digest etc and how and why is this new News Rag model any different from what they already haven't accomplished.

iDon't want 50 apps for what "I" can get for free right now on the internet.

i guess I just read it differently.

another nonsensical troll. moving along..

I'm very much looking forward to a magazine/newspaper store, especially if it allows for local editions. having separate apps for different magazines, or even issues, is sloppy. being able to annotate and sync up with other devices will be great. this and video chat are by far my top two wishes for the iPad.
post #25 of 69
Give the publishers my information I really do not care. As long as it is used to focus ads within the publication it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't start getting email ads give em my age and gender and get this deal done. I, like many others, have been wanting this since day 1 and feel it could be another major thing that separates the ipad from the other devices set to come out. get it done apple.
post #26 of 69
I'd like to see an app that I can open And buy the daily paper for a quarter or fifty cents. I might even do that most days. Give me subscription options too and I'll be in heaven.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Give the publishers my information I really do not care. As long as it is used to focus ads within the publication it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't start getting email ads give em my age and gender and get this deal done. I, like many others, have been wanting this since day 1 and feel it could be another major thing that separates the ipad from the other devices set to come out. get it done apple.

If the information is limited to certain innocuous information it should be OK. For me that would be my gender and what state I am in. I would prefer they not have my name (the news app by apple would make that possible). I don't really look forward to the day where I am reading Wired and I get a custom "happy birthday" add.

Apple has my email address, my physical address, my phone number, my birth day, my credit card number, my ISP, my IP address, the MAC address of each device I own, knows every app I own, every song I own and probably more information that I haven't thought about. Could get scary if they just open the flood gates.

Maybe I am too paranoid.
post #28 of 69
I don't want the publishers to have my info. A lot of companies these days supplement their revenue or lower their prices by selling your info to advertisers. You can't even get a pizza delivered without increasing your telemarketer calls and spam. I don't mind just giving Apple my info and having them pay the publishers. Apple do send me spam sometimes but they are mostly respectful of privacy.

But this may be changing now that they have iAd. Notice how there is not a simple switch in iTunes preferences to disable iAd tracking on all your devices - there is a website you have to go to on each one.
post #29 of 69
Quote:

BS, Apple screwed the music industry and the movie and publishing industry have learned never to give 1 company that much power again.

Apple to the Movie or Publishing industry is just another WalMart to sell their widgets.

I would love to hear how Apple has screwed the Music industry. The Recording companies make somewhere around $0.60 per $0.99 song. Apple gets about $0.24 and the rest goes to the artist. Last time I checked, it seems like the Record Companies are making the most out of that deal. So, I guess someone with a degree in Fuzzy Mathematics is going to have to explain that one to me.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #30 of 69
Quote:

Then they can use double S glyph for that.
post #31 of 69
Publishers don't need my information. Why would Apple let them have that data? When people pick up magazines and newspapers from news stands and order them from local delivery services (the paper boy) the only thing they collect is cash. I suppose that delivery people could forward the information that they either deliver to houses or apartments.

When I subscribe to magazines (haven't done that in years) I would check the box on the self addressed business envelope and then send them a check and nothing more. I'm for privacy and wish there were an electronic data privacy act where no company could keep data about us without our annual consent.
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

As with so many other subscription services on the iPad, the price must be right for the service to be a success and worthwhile to the consumer.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Next, maybe you can tell us how if people want to lose weight they should burn more calories than they intake.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I would love to get rid of the stack of printed magazines on my coffee table, and this could be the thing that gets me to jump on the bandwagon. But it's got to cost no more than the printed subscription price (ie, not news stand price) and ideally I'd be able to print. And I can't imagine the publishers could make a valid argument to disallow that...they'd make an argument, but it wouldn't be valid because I already get a printed copy that I can do all kinds of things with that I wouldn't be able to do with an electronic copy...all of them perfectly legal and within my rights.

My main problem is the pricing per issue. Sure, Zinio has had some great offers for annual subscription, but I want $0.99 or at most $1.99 per issue if I'm going to buy individual issues. I don't read so much anyways nowadays, though iPad is a great digital magazine reader, can't imagine Kindle or Nook being useful for magazines with colour content. Part of what I like magazines as opposed to books is teh purty pictarz, and the typography, layout and infographics.
post #34 of 69
Quote:

Apple saved the music industry, that's quite clear by now.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Give the publishers my information I really do not care. As long as it is used to focus ads within the publication it doesn't bother me. As long as I don't start getting email ads give em my age and gender and get this deal done.

Thankfully, at least from this very small sample, you are in the minority.

Why on earth do you think they would stop at age and gender? That's beyond naive, that's a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I would prefer they not have my name (the news app by apple would make that possible). I don't really look forward to the day where I am reading Wired and I get a custom "happy birthday" add.

Apple has my email address, my physical address, my phone number, my birth day, my credit card number, my ISP, my IP address, the MAC address of each device I own, knows every app I own, every song I own and probably more information that I haven't thought about. Could get scary if they just open the flood gates.

Maybe I am too paranoid.

You are not too paranoid. And if you think Apple has your number, look at Google. Unless you take obscene measures, they know every search you've ever made, where and when and what. And because they also place ads on millions of other web sites, they know when and what sites you're visiting even when you're not doing searches. They probably know what ailments you have, who your doctor is, your shoe size, what kind of car you drive, who you voted for, what church you attend (or don't). They probably know the name of your significant other, if you have one, who your kids (or parents) are and where they go to school (or work). This doesn't even count gmail users! Apple is scary, but Google is REALLY SCARY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't want the publishers to have my info. A lot of companies these days supplement their revenue or lower their prices by selling your info to advertisers. You can't even get a pizza delivered without increasing your telemarketer calls and spam. I don't mind just giving Apple my info and having them pay the publishers. Apple do send me spam sometimes but they are mostly respectful of privacy.

But this may be changing now that they have iAd. Notice how there is not a simple switch in iTunes preferences to disable iAd tracking on all your devices - there is a website you have to go to on each one.

Yup. Apple seems to be a relatively "good guy" right now, but young folks and people with short memories fail to think about the long run. Every company changes management, and every company changes it's philosophies along the way. This much personal information in one place is unprecedented in the history of the world. Hell, the KGB and CIA combined didn't used to have this kind of information available to them, and now it's in totally unregulated hands because people are freely giving it out without giving it any thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Publishers don't need my information. Why would Apple let them have that data? When people pick up magazines and newspapers from news stands and order them from local delivery services (the paper boy) the only thing they collect is cash. I suppose that delivery people could forward the information that they either deliver to houses or apartments.

When I subscribe to magazines (haven't done that in years) I would check the box on the self addressed business envelope and then send them a check and nothing more. I'm for privacy and wish there were an electronic data privacy act where no company could keep data about us without our annual consent.

Totally agree. Good luck pushing that kind of legislation through though, with the insane amounts of marketing $ that would fight it. The only chance it has is if a powerful legislator finds their (or their kid's) personal information misappropriated and gets a bee in his/her bonnet.

In any case, chalk me up with the majority (here, so far), as someone who will NEVER sign up for something like this if Apple gives away my personal info - even just a name/city - to the publishers.
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #36 of 69
Following up along this line, one thing I recommend most people consider:

Get an iTunes gift card, pay cash for it. Then open an iTunes account with this card and a new, single-purpose webmail account. It's a little tricky IIRC, but if you do it correctly (I know for a fact you could do this several months ago - I did it), you can open an account without a credit card or any other (verified) personal information. This allows you to legitimately purchase music and apps without divulging any personal info for them to use/misuse/abuse, give away or sell.

This also gives you the peace of mind knowing that even if another scammer in China figures out how to tap into iTunes accounts and steal from users' credit cards again, you'll be safe. All you'll ever have at risk is the $15 or $25 that you keep in that account.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I'd like to see an app that I can open And buy the daily paper for a quarter or fifty cents. I might even do that most days. Give me subscription options too and I'll be in heaven.

I go to the Boston Globe website and get the daily paper for free. But usually, I go to Google News and get 4,000 or so newspapers for free.

I read different papers for different topics; each has its strengths. I read the Globe for local news. I read the NYT and the WSJ for financial news. I read both the Jerusalem Post and Al Jazeera for mideast news. I also like the NYT for tech news, and the San Jose Mercury News. I get opinion pieces from Time and Newsweek and other weekly slicks, for free.

The only time I'd buy a newspaper is to read over breakfast at the diner, but even then, I usually just pick up a free local weekly like the Boston Tab or the Boston Phoenix.

Good luck Apple!
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Hopefully this gets worked out, although I wouldn't count on it. Then again who would ever think that CD's would be old technology.

iTunes = music
iBooks = books

Logically...

iNews = newspapers
post #39 of 69
Quote:

I would say that Apple stopped the music industry from screwing customers. Having to buy a whole cd in order to get just the songs I want is bogus. Before iTunes store I had stopped buying music. Now I have a very long list of purchased songs from iTunes. IMix has shown me lots of music that I eventually bought.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I would say that Apple stopped the music industry from screwing customers. Having to buy a whole cd in order to get just the songs I want is bogus. Before iTunes store I had stopped buying music. Now I have a very long list of purchased songs from iTunes. IMix has shown me lots of music that I eventually bought.

I would even say that Apple actually saved the stupid and ungrateful music industry. How quickly these ingrates forget how old pirate sites like Napster and others were poised to literally destroy the music and movie industry until Apple stepped in. Not to mention the massive underground bit torrent networks.

These music industry SOBs are now making millions because of the superb user experience that Apple has provided and a reasonable price that has stopped piracy. You would think that they would appreciate Apple more and trust it for its innovative ideas... But no, once Apple succeeded, they started copying Apple's idea and making Apple out to be the villain.

Let the smart ones work with Apple and the others can stay on the side line at their perils.

Time will tell.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple planning standalone digital newsstand app for iPad - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple planning standalone digital newsstand app for iPad - report