or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Just because a white person uses the n word to make a point doesn't make them racist

Just because a white person uses the n word to make a point doesn't make them racist

post #1 of 38
Unless of course they are Republican or conservative in their political and worldviews.

See, you may not be aware of this, because of course there is no media firestorm to light the way for you. However Bill Maher recently dropped the n-word on Larry King. This is completely excused, is proof of sensitivity and is allowed because he was doing it to make a point right?

Of course we all know, thanks to numerous examples that any attempt to address anything in this manner on the right would be completely framed as pure racism.

So why does Bill Maher get a pass? In this instance there really wasn't a point being made about the word. Rather the people he was trying to slur as racists hadn't used it and so he was literally uttering it in an attempt to put the word in other people's mouths. He was saying when they say this phrase.. it means this slur.

It's getting a little desperate and insane for the Democrats these days. First you scream racism over and over, and then when there isn't any proof, you start making it up, and then when that doesn't work, you start attempting to re-educate people by saying that certain phrases actually represent racial slurs and we all just didn't know that before but now thanks to Bill Maher, we do.

Now I'm going to go back to farting around with smartphones and reading a textbook. BTW, when I say that according to Bill Maher I really mean, "n*gg*r." If that doesn't work as a form of eliminationism, then think of textbook as "rope" and smartphone as "hanging tree" or whatever other crap people need to make up to slur someone.

I'll also be kind enough to post the first response to this post on behalf of MumboJumbo and Tonton who will note that point out racism is... racist.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 38
Quote:
Just because a white person uses the n word to make a point doesn't make them racist

Actually it does.

No white non-racist WOULD use it to make a point.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #3 of 38
Also, his use of the third person plural pronoun "them" as a substitution for the non-existent third person singular gender neutral pronoun is still incorrect. Use "him or her" or default to "him" because English is sexist that way.

Furthermore, no idea what the thread is about aside from the topic (oh so nice to skip past so much of Nick's awful vitriol these days), but he's technically right with the thread title. Now, I'm sure he's going to twist it into some sort of bullshit "see, extreme right wingers aren't racist because of the n-word!" And again, he's sorta right there. Those extreme right wingers are racist because they're fucking racist. The intent behind their usage of the n-word is what demonstrates that racism for all to see. But the word itself isn't what makes them racist. It's the terrible ideas in their terrible heads that make them racist.

Intent matters. I'm so glad I'm not going to see the dumbass awful reply of "INTENT GAME INTENT GAME HURRRR HURRR HURRR."

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Intent matters.

True - but in practice some things can become so overlaid with an imposed meaning that it they almost become the thing.

Take the Swastika for example - it is impossible to use it without conjuring up Third Reich imagery. The only way to do so would be as part of some 'reclaiming' - like the punks did in the 70s but in such cases you don't just plaster Swastikas everywhere - you have to have a 'reclaiming' agenda and ideology across the board.

Rap artists do it with the N-word. I am not aware of anyone else doing it in this sense and hence, its use is racist minus the attempt to reclaim.

But you're right - no need to philosophise or over-analyze...it just comes down to these idiots being fucking racist Right-wing scumbags in this case most likely.
post #5 of 38
Yeah, I'm not talking about reclamation. I can think of several uses for Swastikas that shouldn't be offensive: art history classes, ancient cultures classes, and even just plain old history classes. What's wrong with showing a Swastika to a World or European history class and saying, "this is the symbol the Nazis used...here's what it originally meant...here are similar symbols still in use today...unfortunately it will always now be linked with Hitler."

And just because something conjures up bad feelings doesn't automatically make its use bad, anyway.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #6 of 38
Racism is when you discriminate against someone, or belittle someone, or do physical harm against someone, because of their race.

Racism really exists. Why, even up until the 1960s there were discriminatory laws in the United States of America. Even today, people say racist things in America! I know. But it's true— there are people who go on marches holding racist signs.

When Bill Maher used the word 'n-----' was he belittling anyone because of their race? Was he using it with the intention of intimidating anyone because of their race?

No. He was using it in the course of speaking out against racism. He was making a point ABOUT RACISM ITSELF. He was USING THE LANGUAGE OF RACISTS TO MAKE HIS POINT.

Trumptman, if you weren't on some bullshit crusade to redefine the meaning of words to make you feel better about supporting a bunch of cunts who think that Barack Obama is Kenyan you'd accept this perfectly simple, obvious point in a second.
post #7 of 38
Quote:

Yeah, I'm not talking about reclamation. I can think of several uses for Swastikas that shouldn't be offensive: art history classes, ancient cultures classes, and even just plain old history classes. What's wrong with showing a Swastika to a World or European history class and saying, "this is the symbol the Nazis used...here's what it originally meant...here are similar symbols still in use today...unfortunately it will always now be linked with Hitler."

And just because something conjures up bad feelings doesn't automatically make its use bad, anyway.

Ok...true....I should have said apart from educational purposes, references or quoting.

You're right though...intent is everything.
post #8 of 38
Yup, that's why all the prudes who replace standard curse words with similar sounding utterances such as "fudge, fiddlesticks, or shish kabob" are really worse than the folks who just say "fuck, fuck, or shit." The intent is still there; and the hypocrisy of conveying that intent while pretending to sanitize it with silly language compounds things.

At least I'm fucking honest. Assholes. (not you Sego )

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Racism is when you discriminate against someone, or belittle someone, or do physical harm against someone, because of their race.

Racism really exists. Why, even up until the 1960s there were discriminatory laws in the United States of America. Even today, people say racist things in America! I know. But it's true— there are people who go on marches holding racist signs.

When Bill Maher used the word 'n-----' was he belittling anyone because of their race? Was he using it with the intention of intimidating anyone because of their race?

No. He was using it in the course of speaking out against racism. He was making a point ABOUT RACISM ITSELF. He was USING THE LANGUAGE OF RACISTS TO MAKE HIS POINT.

Trumptman, if you weren't on some bullshit crusade to redefine the meaning of words to make you feel better about supporting a bunch of cunts who think that Barack Obama is Kenyan you'd accept this perfectly simple, obvious point in a second.

I think it interesting that you use sexist names as part of a defense against racist actions. Was Bill Maher intimidating someone. Yes. He wasn't speaking out against racism. He was engaging in racism. His own race is considered Jewish. He was taking someone who was not Jewish and putting intent and words into their mouth. It was no different than someone saying that if black man says hello to your white woman, that he will screw her. He was taking regular actions and assigning ill intent to them and the judgment he used in deciding who to castigate was pure racism.

Clearly since you are such a profound sexist, you have trouble seeing such points. Also Maher has made many other comments similar to this. He said Obama was half assing his job because he was only half black instead of full black. He said he wanted Obama to "bust a cap" into some people. All these points are defending and excused by fellow racists like yourself.

post #10 of 38
Quote:

Yup, that's why all the prudes who replace standard curse words with similar sounding utterances such as "fudge, fiddlesticks, or shish kabob" are really worse than the folks who just say "fuck, fuck, or shit." The intent is still there; and the hypocrisy of conveying that intent while pretending to sanitize it with silly language compounds things.

At least I'm fucking honest. Assholes. (not you Sego )

Exactly.... why should a WORD be offensive anyway? It's just literalism.... you could use the word 'fuck' to describe the act or when you are exasperated by right-wing stupidity so clearly it has two different meanings... but neither are acceptable to moralists.

That's irrational: they should at least just object when it describes the act and not in any other context if their hang-up is a sexual one - but to object to the word because of the sound - which is what it amounts to - is insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

He was engaging in racism. His own race is considered Jewish. He was taking someone who was not Jewish and putting intent and words into their mouth. It was no different than someone saying that if black man says hello to your white woman, that he will screw her. He was taking regular actions and assigning ill intent to them and the judgment he used in deciding who to castigate was pure racism.

Clearly since you are such a profound sexist, you have trouble seeing such points.

Let's try to clear something up.

Racism does not exist as an abstract.

Racism is the product of RACISTS. It's what they do.

Or if you prefer: if there were no racists there would be no racism.

If there were no artists there would be no art.

So it follows that in order to say something racist one must BE a racist.

To say something sexist one must BE a sexist.

Of course right-wingers - lacking any form of perception - can only see what things appear to be. Which is why they are uniquely vulnerable to being deceived time and time again.

Why they fall for scumbag preachers and politicians. Everyone in the world can see they are a lying tossbag but wingers just hear 'Praise God' or "God Bless America' and they can;t see the theft, hookers, hypocrisy and crimes that are full-on in everyone else's face.
post #11 of 38
god Bless America is no different than Allah Bless Iran. Wingers can't understand that either. Bless EVERYONE or bless NO ONE. I'd prefer the latter because I think we should really move beyond our silly myths of an interventionist deity.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #12 of 38
Quote:

I think it interesting that you use sexist names as part of a defense against racist actions. Was Bill Maher intimidating someone. Yes. He wasn't speaking out against racism. He was engaging in racism. His own race is considered Jewish. He was taking someone who was not Jewish and putting intent and words into their mouth. It was no different than someone saying that if black man says hello to your white woman, that he will screw her. He was taking regular actions and assigning ill intent to them and the judgment he used in deciding who to castigate was pure racism.

This makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

Bill Maher was speaking on the subject of racism.

Jewish people are allowed to do this too.

God damn, are you drunk ALREADY?
post #13 of 38
Watch out, you might be called DRUNKIST!

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

EXACTLY.

How can we tell if someone is racist?

They say and do racist things.

What is "racist"?

Oh, you work it out.
post #15 of 38
What do you call a black guy who flies planes?

A pilot, you fucking racist asshole.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #16 of 38
Quote:

What do you call a black guy who flies planes?

A PILOT!

Wait! You are making a joke about race! YOU SEXIST!
post #17 of 38
I cunt believe my eyes!

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

If there were no artists there would be no art.
So it follows that in order to say something racist one must BE a racist.
To say something sexist one must BE a sexist.

Exactly! See completely normal imagery and actions are racist because of who they come from. When you know the intent of the person it changes what they do. An artist might piss into a jar and that becomes art. A racist can engage in regular word use but their intent changes those actions.

You're starting to get it Seg. Good for you!

Quote:
Of course right-wingers - lacking any form of perception - can only see what things appear to be. Which is why they are uniquely vulnerable to being deceived time and time again.

Wait, I'm quite sure in the other thread you said that right wingers were quite good at taking things as they appear to be and turning them into coded messages. You gave examples of hand shakes and noted instances associated with redemption and religion. How do you square these two contradicting points?

Oh I forgot, Europeans don't have to be logically consistent. My bad Seg!

Quote:
Why they fall for scumbag preachers and politicians. Everyone in the world can see they are a lying tossbag but wingers just hear 'Praise God' or "God Bless America' and they can;t see the theft, hookers, hypocrisy and crimes that are full-on in everyone else's face.

I don't really think it is appropriate to bring up the former governor of New York, the former governor of New Jersey or about half of the Congressional Black Caucus here Seg. It's sort of a distraction.

Quote:

This makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

Bill Maher was speaking on the subject of racism.
Jewish people are allowed to do this too.
God damn, are you drunk ALREADY?

Bill Maher was being racist. He was noting a group of people who had not been racist and decided based off nothing more than who they were in terms of race, he could levy charges and hurl epitaphs against them and get away with it due to their race.

Quote:

EXACTLY.

How can we tell if someone is racist?
They say and do racist things.
What is "racist"?
Oh, you work it out.

You've noted the proof that I've gladly provided here. As seen, when you can't work it out, that isn't the fault of the person noting the racism. It is likely proof of your own lack of sensitivity or perhaps a lack of experience with said groups while living within your own monoculture.

post #19 of 38
Quote:

E
You've noted the proof that I've gladly provided here. As seen, when you can't work it out, that isn't the fault of the person noting the racism. It is likely proof of your own lack of sensitivity or perhaps a lack of experience with said groups while living within your own monoculture.

My own monoculture!

Oh, sweetheart, I don't live in the suburbs in California.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Bill Maher was being racist. He was noting a group of people who had not been racist and decided based off nothing more than who they were in terms of race, he could levy charges and hurl epitaphs against them and get away with it due to their race.

Fuck, how do you hurl 'epitaphs'?

HERE LIES LOGIC
PASSED AWAY UNDER THE ONSLAUGHT OF TRUMPITUDE

LOGIC
1500 BC - 2010

REST IN PEACE
RACIST CUNTS
post #21 of 38
First google image result:

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #22 of 38
Quote:

LMFAO. And then cry. A teacher!?

Nick is being influenced by Palin more and more every day, it seems.

Now, this one is racist, but it's funny. If anyone's offended, I'll take it down.

post #23 of 38
Quote:

My own monoculture!

Oh, sweetheart, I don't live in the suburbs in California.

Of course you don't because if you did, you would be a lot more sensitive since California as a state has no majority race but only various minority races. The fact that you aren't aware of this is because of where you are from. It's okay though MJ, you are just acting on ignorance and don't know any better.

post #24 of 38
Quote:

HERE LIES LOGIC
PASSED AWAY UNDER THE ONSLAUGHT OF TRUMPITUDE

LOGIC
1500 BC - 2010

REST IN PEACE
RACIST CUNTS

Hahahahaha... I didn't catch that one. BTW, have I mentioned that the predictive text on Android keyboards is shit compared to the iPhone?

Epithets for the win!

post #25 of 38
Quote:

Of course you don't because if you did, you would be a lot more sensitive since California as a state has no majority race but only various minority races.

Yeah, and London's not like that at all...
post #26 of 38
Quote:

Of course you don't because if you did, you would be a lot more sensitive since California as a state has no majority race but only various minority races. The fact that you aren't aware of this is because of where you are from. It's okay though MJ, you are just acting on ignorance and don't know any better.

I know, I know. I was having a cheap shot. It did feel good, though.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah, and London's not like that at all...

You're right. It's not!

Quote:
According to the Office for National Statistics, based on 2006 estimates, 69.4 per cent of the 7.5 million inhabitants of London were White, with 58 per cent White British, 2.5 per cent White Irish and 8.9 per cent classified as Other White.

post #28 of 38
Quote:

I know, I know. I was having a cheap shot. It did feel good, though.

It felt even better when you did that cheap shot out of my belly button MJ.

post #29 of 38
Quote:

It felt even better when you did that cheap shot out of my belly button MJ.

Let's all have some drinks 'round Trumpy's.

I'm sure his neighbourhood is PERFECTLY representative of ethnic California.
post #30 of 38
Quote:

You're right. It's not!

Touché, but I grew up in California, my first friend in kindergarten was black, I went to a "bilingual" first grade class, had black roommates in college during the Rodney King riots, have lived in Downtown LA, I've dated Asians all my life (and married two), and I've BEEN to London (and met Hassan, coincidentally, in a past life).

Most parts of urban London are just as ethnically diverse as California, and in fact Muslims are far more visible there than in California. I'm surprised at the results of the census.

But the thing is, in London, at least in my experience, I see people of all ethnicities mixing. In California it's almost all self-segregated, in other words, racist.
post #31 of 38
Quote:

Let's all have some drinks 'round Trumpy's.

I'm sure his neighbourhood is PERFECTLY representative of ethnic California.

Probably not. I think we are a little short on Jewish polemics who love to use the N-word, note the president is doing a half assed job because he is only half black.

post #32 of 38
Trumptman, have you ever been outside of the US?
post #33 of 38
Quote:

Touché, but I grew up in California, my first friend in kindergarten was black, I went to a "bilingual" first grade class, had black roommates in college during the Rodney King riots, have lived in Downtown LA, I've dated Asians all my life (and married two), and I've BEEN to London (and met Hassan, coincidentally, in a past life).

Most parts of urban London are just as ethnically diverse as California, and in fact Muslims are far more visible there than in California. I'm surprised at the results of the census.

But the thing is, in London, at least in my experience, I see people of all ethnicities mixing. In California it's almost all self-segregated, in other words, racist.

I find it interesting that your own experience is so different from the experience you attribute to others in the exact same place. The closest I've seen to self segregating though takes place up in Northern California which coincidentally is the most liberal part of the state. Like most liberal areas, their extensive use of land use laws, amounts to a newcomer tax and since the older folks are white and the newcomers are not, they end up being the most segregated areas I've experienced. The most white area I've encountered in California is Berkeley.

post #34 of 38
Quote:

Trumptman, have you ever been outside of the US?

I have. I've been to Canada (very briefly and not very far into the country.) I've been to Mexico for extended periods. I did a band tour of Europe back in college though it was one of those very touristy and quick sort of things that was about two weeks long and hit several countries very quickly.

When's the last time you were back in the states Tonton or specifically back in California?

post #35 of 38
Quote:

I have. I've been to Canada (very briefly and not very far into the country.) I've been to Mexico for extended periods. I did a band tour of Europe back in college though it was one of those very touristy and quite sort of things that was about two weeks long and hit several countries very quickly.

When's the last time you were back in the states Tonton or specifically back in California?

Two years ago, for a short trip, but I was there for a month in 2005, after a week on the North Shore of Oahu. My folks live in San Diego now. My sister lives in Hawaii.
post #36 of 38
Quote:

Unless of course they are Republican or conservative in their political and worldviews.

See, you may not be aware of this, because of course there is no media firestorm to light the way for you. However Bill Maher recently dropped the n-word on Larry King. This is completely excused, is proof of sensitivity and is allowed because he was doing it to make a point right?

Of course we all know, thanks to numerous examples that any attempt to address anything in this manner on the right would be completely framed as pure racism.

So why does Bill Maher get a pass? In this instance there really wasn't a point being made about the word. Rather the people he was trying to slur as racists hadn't used it and so he was literally uttering it in an attempt to put the word in other people's mouths. He was saying when they say this phrase.. it means this slur.

It's getting a little desperate and insane for the Democrats these days. First you scream racism over and over, and then when there isn't any proof, you start making it up, and then when that doesn't work, you start attempting to re-educate people by saying that certain phrases actually represent racial slurs and we all just didn't know that before but now thanks to Bill Maher, we do.

Now I'm going to go back to farting around with smartphones and reading a textbook. BTW, when I say that according to Bill Maher I really mean, "n*gg*r." If that doesn't work as a form of eliminationism, then think of textbook as "rope" and smartphone as "hanging tree" or whatever other crap people need to make up to slur someone.

I'll also be kind enough to post the first response to this post on behalf of MumboJumbo and Tonton who will note that point out racism is... racist.

Would you like to be called white trash? Use this word in NYC and you would not see your next birthday.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Would you like to be called white trash? Use this word in NYC and you would not see your next birthday.

Try throwing around that term down south and see what happens...
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Try throwing around that term down south and see what happens...

Merely visit my home town if you're a winger without saying a word and see what happens...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Just because a white person uses the n word to make a point doesn't make them racist