or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 to launch in China on Sept. 25, 2 new stores to open
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4 to launch in China on Sept. 25, 2 new stores to open

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Apple announced Sunday that the iPhone 4 will be available in China starting Saturday, September 25 at 8 a.m. The launch will coincide with the openings of the Hong Kong Plaza Apple Store in Shanghai and the Xidan Joy City Apple Store in Beijing.

Apple issued the press release Sunday, announcing that it would effectively double its brick-and-mortar presence in China on Sept. 25.

The Cupertino, Calif., company announced earlier this year that it plans to build 25 retail stores in China in the next two years.

At Apple's retail stores, the iPhone 4 will start at CNY4,999 (about $743) for the 16 GB model and will not require a contract. A two-year contract is required for customers who purchase the handset through China Unicom.

According to the Wall Street Journal, users who buy through China Unicom will have to pay CNY5,880 (about $874) for the iPhone 4 and a deposit for the two-year contract.

Apple's press release did not mention whether iPhone 4 purchasers will receive a free case, as previously rumored.

Next week's iPhone 4 launch comes just a week after the successful launch of the iPad in China. Apple fans lined up outside the Shanghai and Beijing Apple stores, with some waiting as long as 60 hours for the tablet device.

post #2 of 44
Well that's real cheap..

I guess the iPhone is for the middle class and rich Chinese..
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well that's real cheap..

I guess the iPhone is for the middle class and rich Chinese..

Precisely where Apple wants to be over the next few years in China. It's Like Gucci and Loius Vitton in Asia.
post #4 of 44
I expect people to wait even more for the iphone 4.
post #5 of 44
Hopefully that includes one in Hong Kong.......
post #6 of 44
Surely it won’t sell well¡ After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely it wont sell well. After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison.

Android surpassed iOS and yet, iOS devices continue to sell like hotcakes. If people stood in line to wait for the iPad then im pretty sure it will sell well for the iphone 4.
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely it wont sell well. After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison.

I guess you havent seen how many iphones are being used in Japan....Its nice to have all the tech, but people also want things just to work
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If iOS sells like hotcakes and Android has passed iOS then what is Android selling like?

Peanuts in the bleachers?
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If iOS sells like hotcakes and Android has passed iOS then what is Android selling like?

Maple syrup?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If iOS sells like hotcakes and Android has passed iOS then what is Android selling like?

Android has passed iOS in what? Don't get me wrong am sure Android devices are selling like hotcakes as well.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If iOS sells like hotcakes and Android has passed iOS then what is Android selling like?

McDonald's dollar menu cheeseburger?

It still takes the collective force of gazillion Android devices to outsell the iPhone.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Android has passed iOS in what? Don't get me wrong am sure Android devices are selling like hotcakes as well.

Its an activated mobile OS comparison, which means little considering both OSes have healthy ecosystems and are thriving. From a business PoV the models are disparate and any real comparisons break down as iOS is sold from one vendor whilst Android is sold among a potentially unlimited different number of vendors, as you undoubtedly are aware.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its an activated mobile OS comparison, which means little considering both OSes have healthy ecosystems and are thriving. From a business PoV the models are disparate and any real comparisons break down as iOS is sold from one vendor whilst Android is sold among a potentially unlimited different number of vendors, as you undoubtedly are aware.

If its activated mobile OS comparison, then iOS passed Android since 220,000 iOS are being activated compared to 200,000 Android devices?
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The new Android phones Evo, Incredible, Droid X and Droid 2 are every bit as good as the iPhone. Running 2.2 they are also faster.

While true, the only thing that Android is not as good at is the App store. Sure they may have a lot of the same apps but some aren't really the same. Take the Facebook app for example, its not the same as the iphone app. The iphone's facebook is way better according to some android users that used to iphones version.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Honestly does it really matter? A little competition is a good thing seeing that RIM and Windows Mobile are dying. Both operations systems are solid and the new line of Android phones alone with iPhone 4 gives the consumer some very solid options. Which should keep both Appel and Google to put out even better products in the future. Its a win all the way around for the consumer.

No, but i just wanted to point that out
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well that's real cheap..

I guess the iPhone is for the middle class and rich Chinese..

Yeah...bloody cheap.
post #18 of 44
I was at Xidan Joy City mall a few weeks ago and noticed what appeared to be construction of a new Apple store going on. There wasn't much to see actually as they had covered the windows with black paper, but the big white Apple logo and URL to Apple's China website sort of gave it away.

It appears that the new store will be two levels - going from F1 (main level) down to B1.

I took some photos of the B1 level with my iPhone but again it's not too exciting, if the mods want to see them just drop me a note.

What's interesting is that there's already an authorized 3rd-party retailer of Apple products (Dragonstar) in that very same mall. I wonder what will happen to them with the opening of the official Apple store.
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If iOS sells like hotcakes and Android has passed iOS then what is Android selling like?

Like any subsidized phone for entry, middle and high end smartphone accounts.

I look forward to the Verizon 2 for 1 plan when Motorola, HTC and Samsung start paying people to use an Android phone locked to their specs.
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely it won’t sell well¡ After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison¡

Exactly. iPhone, iPad and iOS is dead. Android won, game over. Samsung, HTC, Dell, etc. are all fantastic products and offer freedom, diversity, flexibility, better hardware and features, and apparently, it's thinner as well. Oh, they play Flash and have great battery life and user experience, plus no walled garden in Android. Hardly anyone is going to buy this iPhone 4 in China, why do they even bother, they should give up now. They should have made a Verizon iPhone instead because Apple is losing out big time in the US, who cares about the global market, the US is where they should be number 1.

Why do you keep trolling these boards???















...........................


post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIA View Post

I was at Xidan Joy City mall a few weeks ago and noticed what appeared to be construction of a new Apple store going on. There wasn't much to see actually as they had covered the windows with black paper, but the big white Apple logo and URL to Apple's China website sort of gave it away.

It appears that the new store will be two levels - going from F1 (main level) down to B1.

I took some photos of the B1 level with my iPhone but again it's not too exciting, if the mods want to see them just drop me a note.

What's interesting is that there's already an authorized 3rd-party retailer of Apple products (Dragonstar) in that very same mall. I wonder what will happen to them with the opening of the official Apple store.

Please post about 5 pictures you took, resized appropriately, in this thread as soon as possible.

We would love to see the pictures you have taken, you don't need any permission to post them here.
post #22 of 44
Here is what I was able to find from http://www.iphonelive.info/2010/08/3...d/28_184032_3/


Xidan Joy City, Beijing










-----------------------------------


Hong Kong Plaza, Shanghai

post #23 of 44
What is interesting is these are highly-prominent, ground-floor, large stores. Maybe occupying two or more floors, as one of the above posters on this thread said. By end of this week, 4 Apple Stores in China already, now selling iPad unlocked and iPhone 4 unlocked.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Why do you keep trolling these boards???

I say ban him for good.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I say ban him for good.

I wish we could vote people off the AppleInsider island... (not solipsism of course, you know of whom I speak).
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely it won’t sell well¡ After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison¡

All Android devices from all manufacturers combined may have exceeded iOS' single manufacturer but no single Android device manufacturer has exceeded iOS' single manufacturer. Try comparing Apples to Apples not Apples to lemons.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

Surely it won’t sell well¡ After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison¡"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

All Android devices from all manufacturers combined may have exceeded iOS' single manufacturer but no single Android device manufacturer has exceeded iOS' single manufacturer. Try comparing Apples to Apples not Apples to lemons.

Realistic, solipsism was being sarcastic.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well that's real cheap..

I guess the iPhone is for the middle class and rich Chinese..

It's not exactly in the hands of the lower/working classes elsewhere - this is an expensive toy to own.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely it wont sell well¡ After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison¡

Prepare to eat your words. I'm using android, it pales into shite compared with the iPhone 4 and iOS 4. Battery life sucks, crashes at least once a day and massive interface lag.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its an activated mobile OS comparison, which means little considering both OSes have healthy ecosystems and are thriving. From a business PoV the models are disparate and any real comparisons break down as iOS is sold from one vendor whilst Android is sold among a potentially unlimited different number of vendors, as you undoubtedly are aware.

Ah, so you're stating that having a greater market share makes a phone a better device, and more desirable?
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The new Android phones Evo, Incredible, Droid X and Droid 2 are every bit as good as the iPhone. Running 2.2 they are also faster.

I disagree, holding the new Evo in my hand running 2.2 - massive interface lag, unstable and icons constantly dragging around the screen, it's so easy to remove icons from the home screen - why no easy way to lock your icon layout?

Web browsing is smoother on the iPhone, the EVO scrolls horribly and page renders take around twice as long. It's meant to have flash, but apart from ads, nothing is usable.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Surely it wont sell well¡ After all Apple uses commodity HW, Android had not only caught up with iOS but far surpassed it with its openness, and Asian phones are so advanced that anything designed in the US pales in comparison¡

From the serious responses to your sarcasm, it's clear that most of the responders don't get it or lack any sense of humor. The dumbass quotient appears to be running greater than normal on this thread.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The new Android phones Evo, Incredible, Droid X and Droid 2 are every bit as good as the iPhone. Running 2.2 they are also faster.

And yet there's a 3 week wait for an iPhone 4 while Android phones are readily available. Really wish you fandroids would be more effective in getting people on your platform of choice so I don't have to go through this wait every year.
post #34 of 44
How about Apple steady the demand and supply in the countries they've already launched in before rolling out elsewhere?? I mean, the iphone has been out for 2months here in australia and people are still on 4-6 week waiting lists...
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

How about Apple steady the demand and supply in the countries they've already launched in before rolling out elsewhere?? I mean, the iphone has been out for 2months here in australia and people are still on 4-6 week waiting lists...

I agree.

The situation sounds worse in Canada. No one is even maintaining wait lists. The phone is simply, basically unavailable. There is a line up every morning outside of the Apple stores in Vancouver waiting to see if they get a few. The ONLY people getting iphones in Canada today, two months after it was introduced, are people willing to wait in lines with no guarantee of success, people willing to buy the unlocked phone online, or people willing to buy a 3GS.
post #36 of 44
It is CRITICAL for Google and partners to churn out an ocean of devices at different price points, catering to different "needs", in a multitude of OS/hardware combinations in order to compete with Apple's ONE (at most, two) phone running on ONE carrier in the US. Since Google has no single "iPhone killer", it's absolutely vital they flood the market with VOLUME in order to make up for the lack of quality in Android and Android devices in general.

Google doesn't have what it takes to do what Apple does. And the reason is simple: Google doesn't think, create and act like Apple. It's all about the User Experience, and getting it right all comes down to philosophy, attitude, and priorities.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

All Android devices from all manufacturers combined may have exceeded iOS' single manufacturer but no single Android device manufacturer has exceeded iOS' single manufacturer. Try comparing Apples to Apples not Apples to lemons.

Just to be clear, I try to always use the Ethiopian irony punctuation (¡) to indicate sarcasm irony or satire to indicate what I’m saying is not what I actually believe. Often trying to be funny, which can easily get lost if what I write is taken literally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_p...rte_slaq.C3.AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Prepare to eat your words. I'm using android, it pales into shite compared with the iPhone 4 and iOS 4. Battery life sucks, crashes at least once a day and massive interface lag.

I’ll eat apples and oranges, but I probably won’t eat my words.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

From the serious responses to your sarcasm, it's clear that most of the responders don't get it or lack any sense of humor. The dumbass quotient appears to be running greater than normal on this thread.

In their defense my comment could have been too dry, or just not as funny as I wanted it to be. Plus, if they don’t know me as a poster it could be easy to miss, I know I’ve misunderstood a few comments over the years. I keep hoping the Ethiopian irony mark will catch on, but it doesn’t.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfang View Post

And yet there's a 3 week wait for an iPhone 4 while Android phones are readily available. Really wish you fandroids would be more effective in getting people on your platform of choice so I don't have to go through this wait every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

How about Apple steady the demand and supply in the countries they've already launched in before rolling out elsewhere?? I mean, the iphone has been out for 2months here in australia and people are still on 4-6 week waiting lists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeley View Post

I agree.

The situation sounds worse in Canada. No one is even maintaining wait lists. The phone is simply, basically unavailable. There is a line up every morning outside of the Apple stores in Vancouver waiting to see if they get a few. The ONLY people getting iphones in Canada today, two months after it was introduced, are people willing to wait in lines with no guarantee of success, people willing to buy the unlocked phone online, or people willing to buy a 3GS.

Yup, I sure as heck wished more Android fans and common folk (whom apparently are moving to Android in droves and droves and droves) actually did buy more Android phones rather than just talk about how great they are so that there'll actually be iPhone 4s and iPads available!

It's launching this Sunday, here in Malaysia... If I don't get in on the first batch I know it's going to be hell waiting for the next stock refresh.

Instead of getting mad waiting for the iPhone 4 I'm tempted to just give up now and start my wait for the iPhone 5, I think. Just another, oh, year to go, by the time the iPhone 5 launches here. Hopefully my 3GS will stay healthy till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I keeping hoping the Ethiopian irony mark will catch on, but it doesn’t.

post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ill eat apples and oranges, but I probably wont eat my words.

Apples and oranges? Om nom nom nom nom nom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 to launch in China on Sept. 25, 2 new stores to open