or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 'slightly cannibalizing' Apple's own low-end MacBooks - report

iPad 'slightly cannibalizing' Apple's own low-end MacBooks - report - Page 3

post #81 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most seem to be much lower than 10 hours unless we're talking about leaving it to idle. Even the one Asus I know of with a stated 14 hour battery life falls well below the iPad when it comes to common uses like watching video. Consider that watch Hulu or Netflix video would mean Flash over a native app and you have even lower battery time compared to the iPad.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2965/a...rite-netbook/5 I can't define what is the best UI for browsing, but I can say that using Windows, Linux and Mac OS X on netbooks isn't it. They are desktop-class OSes used on displays they were designed for and HW performance that is well beyond what those OSes and apps typically expect.

I'm not arguing that a netbook can compete with an ARM-powered tablet on battery life, only that they do very well, unless you get a three cell battery or some crap like that.
post #82 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

sorry, but you don't understand apples strategy. the ipad has to be as light and thin as possible. it is not going to replace the mac book! why should it???

the ipad is also no replacement for a mac book. you can do so much on a mac book what you can not do on an ipad.

what apple MIGHT soon do is to make the ipad independent. so many people bought an ipad and THEN realized, that they still need a host computer to operate it.

the ipad itself can not do anything apart from consuming and viewing. you can not even delete a photo or edit it on the ipad. it is also impossible to edit your itune library. the ipad is an oversized ipod touch or iphone. that's it!

What utter crap.

Everyone at the studio now has one, all are used to create work, shortlist and delete images directly from cameras on remote shoots, notate images and send back to the office. I have friends that use the pad for lighting control and dmx plotting, friends who use them in recording studios...

My mother owns an iPad, it was activated in-store, it is her only computer. Is she doing something wrong because the device works just fine and will never be connected to another computer?

Yr either very stupid or being deliberately obtuse.
post #83 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

but it is true!

you have this great app for watching your photos. but have you tried to delete one of those photos? not possible. or maybe move one photo infront of the other one? impossible. maybe renaming a stack of photos? impossible! or edit a photo because the colors are looking ugly? impossible!

same thing with music.

can you delete a song? nope! can you rename a song? nope! can you change a cover of a song? nope. can you do anything apart from listening to the songs? nope!

oh, yes, you can create a playlist. whow! incredible! a playlist! but that's about it. nothing more.

you can consume music, you can consume photos and consume videos. but you can not do anything more! sorry, but this is the concept of the ipad!

Sounds like you need to grab some better apps.
post #84 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not a chance in hell. Roughly 50% of the iPad sales are Wi-fi only models.

Yes! There are certain market segments where it is an advantage not having cell, cameras, etc. --secure areas, access-limited Internet. Not to mention no need for cell in areas of use -- restaurants, hospitals, campi...

We'll likely end up with 5 or 6 * iPads in uor household by Christmas -- all but 1 will be WiFi only.

* Depends what iPad/remote support is available for the iPad.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #85 of 101
I'd call this a total non-story. Of course a small percentage of Apple customers will buy an iPad instead of a low-end laptop, but this is an exceedingly small piece of Apple's sales. The iPad is not a laptop replacement but an entirely new class of portable device.

More importantly, Apple's lost laptop revenue is made up for many times over by the tremendous growth of the iPad market itself, which previously didn't exist at all and appears to have almost inexhaustible potential.
post #86 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

An input area/control surface which is application specific. For just one suggestion.
Damn good job yr not in product development with such a terrible lack of imagination.

I'm typing - I want a keyboard.
I'm editing video, I want a series of touch controls.
Operating lighting over dmx
Live mixing sound with virtual faders

And so on...

Quote:

What utter crap.

Everyone at the studio now has one, all are used to create work, shortlist and delete images directly from cameras on remote shoots, notate images and send back to the office. I have friends that use the pad for lighting control and dmx plotting, friends who use them in recording studios...

My mother owns an iPad, it was activated in-store, it is her only computer. Is she doing something wrong because the device works just fine and will never be connected to another computer?

Yr either very stupid or being deliberately obtuse.

One of the potentials I see for the iPad is on-the-spot editing of video -- say of a sports clip, where time is important as a quality edit...

I hope to see an iPad with more RAM and iMovie, MotionLite iOs, etc. I don't want to take pics/vid with the iPad, or do power post processing -- just quickly and easily do basic prep for film at nine.

A laptop is too cumbersome for on-the-spot use, and a netbook not even a candidate.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #87 of 101
Quote:

An input area/control surface which is application specific. For just one suggestion.
Damn good job yr not in product development with such a terrible lack of imagination.

I'm typing - I want a keyboard.
I'm editing video, I want a series of touch controls.
Operating lighting over dmx
Live mixing sound with virtual faders

And so on...

You're the one who lacks imagination, you fail to imagine how using existing products, such as the Modbook, can accomplish all of what you ask for today.

How can you conceive better products for tomorrow when you lack the imagination to even use the full potential of what's available now?

It's easy to imagine; coming up with something practical or even useful is another skill altogether.

Yes, as technology progresses, they'll be undoubtedly a time when we can do with the iPads of tomorrow what we do with the laptops and desktops of today.
That time is not now.
post #88 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

You're the one who lacks imagination, you fail to imagine how using existing products, such as the Modbook, can accomplish all of what you ask for today.

How can you conceive better products for tomorrow when you lack the imagination to even use the full potential of what's available now?

It's easy to imagine; coming up with something practical or even useful is another skill altogether.

Yes, as technology progresses, they'll be undoubtedly a time when we can do with the iPads of tomorrow what we do with the laptops and desktops of today.
That time is not now.

OK, I looked at the modbook site and it seems that the only place it does all of what nkhm asked for is in your imagination.
post #89 of 101
edits
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #90 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

OK, I looked at the modbook site and it seems that the only place it does all of what nkhm asked for is in your imagination.

I'm glad that you disagree with nkhm thinking that I lack imagination.

But:
- a modbook with a touchscreen running the complete OS X
- Bluetooth or USB keyboard
- and the approriate OS X software e.g. Chameleon, software for DMX lighting control

means it's not just my imagination.
post #91 of 101
Quote:

I'm glad that you disagree with nkhm thinking that I lack imagination.

But:
- a modbook with a touchscreen running the complete OS X
- Bluetooth or USB keyboard
- and the approriate OS X software e.g. Chameleon, software for DMX lighting control

means it's not just my imagination.

Well, you should re-read his post, because it still doesn't do the things he mentioned. Imagination is a wonderful thing, but imagination alone doesn't making something what it isn't.
post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

6 Awesome Photo Editing Apps for the iPad.

You'll have to do better than that.

Can you suggest any MP3 tag editing software?
post #93 of 101
Quote:

Where did this argument about devices being either for creation or consumption arise from?

It was invented as an excuse for the iPad's lack of capability. It was said that because the iPad is for consumption, the lack of creation capability was A-OK.

I think the key is interaction, and that consumption/creation is a false dichotomy. I think that computers are routinely used in an interactive manner (like I am doing right now) and that therefore, the limited input choices of the iPad are a detriment to my enjoyment of such a device.
post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's the stylus that's pressure sensitive, not the screen...

Then, there's this:

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/apple-ipa...-app-07034713/

But isn't that just vaporware at this point? Don't get me wrong - the lack of pressure sensitivity is one of the worst aspects of a capacitive touch screen. The huge footprint of a dull fingertip is another. I'd love to see a better input method/device/capability for capacitive screens.

But I'll believe it when I see it. I'm cynical enough to think it will be a stupid kludge with more bad aspects than good.
post #95 of 101
Quote:

Don't make such ridiculous statements, or be so lazy as to complain that moving a mouse is labour intensive.

Why use any keyboard shortcuts at all if they are not a worthwhile labor saving technique?

And besides, using a mouse wasn't really my point.

My point was that using big arm motions on a big touchscreen is a lousy way to point or otherwise interact with a computer. Hell, even on a close-by laptop screen it is a lousy way to interact with a computer.

The mouse works pretty well. Touchpads near the keyboard even better. And keyboard shortcuts are the best of all.
post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, you should re-read his post, because it still doesn't do the things he mentioned. Imagination is a wonderful thing, but imagination alone doesn't making something what it isn't.

Well his post doesn't answer my original question, you can add such a control surface to either an iPad or a notebook. I believe there's one manufacturer who's already placing a screen within their trackpad thus creating such an application specific control surface.

Software can be written which displays application specific touch zones on existing hardware. It still doesn't make the case for what you can do with an iOS notebook that can't be achieved with current hardware.

Besides, what's the point of an application specific area when you have the the entire screen as a control surface with the iPad or Modbook?
post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

It was invented as an excuse for the iPad's lack of capability. It was said that because the iPad is for consumption, the lack of creation capability was A-OK.

I think the key is interaction, and that consumption/creation is a false dichotomy. I think that computers are routinely used in an interactive manner (like I am doing right now) and that therefore, the limited input choices of the iPad are a detriment to my enjoyment of such a device.

I agree with you that it's a false dichotomy but disagree that the iPad lacks capability. It's not going to do everything an eight core Mac Pro can do but there's still a lot you can do with it.

Apple itself at its launch said it viewed the iPad as midway between a smartphone and a computer. However, if there are people who only use their computer for email and web browsing then it's conceivable that the iPad will meet their needs without a computer.
post #98 of 101
Quote:

Well his post doesn't answer my original question, you can add such a control surface to either an iPad or a notebook. I believe there's one manufacturer who's already placing a screen within their trackpad thus creating such an application specific control surface.

Software can be written which displays application specific touch zones on existing hardware. It still doesn't make the case for what you can do with an iOS notebook that can't be achieved with current hardware.

Besides, what's the point of an application specific area when you have the the entire screen as a control surface with the iPad or Modbook?

You said it had these capabilities, and I quote, "today."

The Modbook, is not the computer of the future.
post #99 of 101
I somewhat agree with the "cannibalizing" statement that the CEO made. This weekend was a big occasion for my wife and I , and as a gift I decided to get her an Apple product ( she is absolutely in love with the iphone). So while browsing at the Apple store, I settled on the IPAD instead of the low end Macbook. The price was a big driver, but not the only one. The Wifi version was nearly 45% cheaper than the cheapest laptop but the tablet seemed much better suited for "home" use than the laptop. Everything she needs, she can do on the IPAd so why spend the extra $? I agree with several statements above that the "slate" will start taking over from lower end laptops in the near future (if they could just make the keyboard better in the IPADs)
post #100 of 101
Wasn’t there a shift a few quarters ago from the MacBook to the 13” MBP being the best selling Mac after they dropped the price of the 13” MBP to within $200 of the MacBook? Note that latest MBP received an update before the MacBook did. Because of these reasons I can easily see a discerning buyer finding the short and long term value of the 13” MBP a worthwhile up-sell for the money.

Also, anecdotally I am noticing a lot more 13” aluminium Mac notebooks over plastic Mac notebooks. So perhaps it’s the higher priced Mac notebooks that are cannibalizing the plastic Mac notebooks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #101 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wasnt there a shift a few quarters ago from the MacBook to the 13 MBP being the best selling Mac after they dropped the price of the 13 MBP to within $200 of the MacBook? Note that latest MBP received an update before the MacBook did. Because of these reasons I can easily see a discerning buyer finding the short and long term value of the 13 MBP a worthwhile up-sell for the money.

Also, anecdotally I am noticing a lot more 13 aluminium Mac notebooks over plastic Mac notebooks. So perhaps its the higher priced Mac notebooks that are cannibalizing the plastic Mac notebooks.

The MB just doesn't offer much value - cheaper case, 2 GB of RAM, small HD, non-backlit KB, and lacks the SD slot, and IIRC, the screen is of a worse quality, but I may be thinking of the MBA and 15" MBP's that have the better screens.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad 'slightly cannibalizing' Apple's own low-end MacBooks - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad 'slightly cannibalizing' Apple's own low-end MacBooks - report