or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sports Illustrated says unfair iPad subscription terms led to cut features

Sports Illustrated says unfair iPad subscription terms led to cut features - Page 4

post #121 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

"But publishers apparently remain unsatisfied with Apple's business model for new subscriptions."

You could add to this that 'Customers also apparently remain unsatisfied with Apple's business model for new subscriptions'.

Because everyone knows it can be done better and cheaper.

Wait a second... Are you telling me that not just anyone can create a publication for the iPad?
Lmfao... You have got to be joking. Seriously... Someone tell me this is a joke...

Apple's business model to sell iPad is to bilk existing shit rags who are already losing massive subscription base... And keeping small/hip/new/fresh ideas and publications from starting up?

Wow... Simply wow.

Does anyone even recognize this company anymore?

What's next... Apple going to go after 30% of all the revenue I generate off my Mac pro?
Censor my designs and email?

Good god people... Think for a second about this. Apple is trying to play ( music label executive ) in the publication industry - when music label executives are becoming irrelevant.

Not going to 'revolutionize' shit pandering to dying dinosaurs.

Love my Mac... But the culture around 'think different' is completely gone from this company.
post #122 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

We as consumers have access to vast amounts of content that is available merely by maintaining an Internet connection. This cannot be ignored and it seems to me Apple gets that. The content providers, not so much. They are in denial and if they remain so, they are doomed.

Bingo, we have a winnah!
post #123 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Wait a second... Are you telling me that not just anyone can create a publication for the iPad?
Lmfao... You have got to be joking. Seriously... Someone tell me this is a joke...

Apple's business model to sell iPad is to bilk existing shit rags who are already losing massive subscription base... And keeping small/hip/new/fresh ideas and publications from starting up?

Wow... Simply wow.

What's next... Apple going to go after 30% of all the revenue I generate off my Mac pro?
Censor my designs and email?

Good god people... Think for a second about this. Apple is trying to play ( music label executive ) in the publication industry - when music label executives are becoming irrelevant.

Not going to 'revolutionize' shit pandering to dying dinosaurs.

Love my Mac... But the culture around 'think different' is completely gone from this company.

I think, you should think different about this don't you all think so too ?
post #124 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

No... nobody agrees with you at all. Why would they? It's insanity.

Why doesn't Apple completely drop this whole big steaming pile of bullshit... and add some cool tools to 'Pages' so that everyone can be a professional blogger or start their own little publication. Let the creative or informative new publications shine on the first pages of the 'Apple Gallery' and let the market decide who is advertising.

The way it stands now... Apple controls who is advertising and what message is being said. Thats fine for an Apple Publication... but ZOMGWTF.... Apple dictating who and how and what for other publications????

Apple is making 1984 a reality.
post #125 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

On a second note... lets look at 2 models.

1. Apple only allows who and what they want for publications and advertisers on their technology. (failing publications who are big and have a lot of money and no idea's.)

Results: Very short lived model leading to eventual censorship lawsuits up the ying yang.

2. Someone releases a similar gadget - builds tools for easy publishing. Boom in publications, cartoons, idea's, exchanges, interesting design. Sure the trick will be to find the gems between the garbage... but Youtube isn't dying at all.

Results: Market decides the winners and losers. People maybe start reading again.

This path that Apple is going down is out of pure greed and nothing, zilch, nada for anyone but big business.
Well... big business relies on a consumer market, and consumers are not going to buy this big steaming load of bullshit from Apple.

This whole new push for big business to control everything and dominate market share is shredding any hope of a free market. It's already killed your economy in the good 'ol USA and these giants are just getting started.

You build from the bottom up
Apple is trying to build from the top.
No doubt at all this will fail if Apple doesn't change direction.
post #126 of 136
Quote:

No... nobody agrees with you at all. Why would they? It's insanity.

Why doesn't Apple completely drop this whole big steaming pile of bullshit... and add some cool tools to 'Pages' so that everyone can be a professional blogger or start their own little publication. Let the creative or informative new publications shine on the first pages of the 'Apple Gallery' and let the market decide who is advertising.

The way it stands now... Apple controls who is advertising and what message is being said. Thats fine for an Apple Publication... but ZOMGWTF.... Apple dictating who and how and what for other publications????

Apple is making 1984 a reality.

First of all, taking all of your posts together, I don't see how Apple is responsible for anything you are talking about, particularly erecting barriers to your becoming a blogger or starting a publication. I know it's fun to go off on a rant now and then, but, it works best when you actually make some sense.

Secondly, nothing Apple is doing has any relationship to the surveillance society of 1984, that would be Google.
post #127 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

First of all, taking all of your posts together, I don't see how Apple is responsible for anything you are talking about, particularly erecting barriers to your becoming a blogger or starting a publication. I know it's fun to go off on a rant now and then, but, it works best when you actually make some sense.

Secondly, nothing Apple is doing has any relationship to the surveillance society of 1984, that would be Google.

I don't have $10,000,000 so that my iPad publication can be approved by Apple.
What's so hard to understand about that?

How long can Apple maintain censorship over what is viewed on their device.
This is not the same as the app store. Not at all. Lots of blurry lines here and no doubt the government will be all over this.

iad is going to have a life of maybe 1 year. Depends on how long the contracts where that Nissan and other companies who are scrambling to get out of those contracts, are locked in for.

Apple overstepped and played their hand way too soon. This is a major blunder. No question about it. I expect next year Apple will try to correct.

In the mean time, look for SI and other publications to start shafting Apple by releasing crappy versions for the iPad. Must be a horrible contract if publishers are willing to cut off their nose to spite Apple's face.
post #128 of 136
Quote:

Wow... Simply wow.

There are two philosophies here: Apple's "walled garden" ... where they try to keep the quality level at a certain level .... which is the one that a record number of paying customers appear to agree with ... or your idea of allowing anyone at all to publish on Apple's iBook store, letting the marketplace decide what quality level they want.

Interestingly enough, AppleInsider uses your method. Pretty much anyone is free to join and post, within reason, until enough people complain about them .... and look at the amount of crap that we have to put up with from you, DaHarder, Blackintosh, Newtron and the like and I have to say .... I prefer Apple's approach.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #129 of 136
Apple is a bunch of control freaks. The fanbois shoud grow up and admit it. But NO, they're off to the Apple store to spend another cut of their income.

Seriously, I love apple products, but Apple's defenders are a bunch of losers.
post #130 of 136
Its just a business model. People are free to subscribe to it or not. If another business model worked better people would use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple is a bunch of control freaks. The fanbois shoud grow up and admit it. But NO, they're off to the Apple store to spend another cut of their income.

Seriously, I love apple products, but Apple's defenders are a bunch of losers.
post #131 of 136
Quote:

I don't have $10,000,000 so that my iPad publication can be approved by Apple.
What's so hard to understand about that?
How long can Apple maintain censorship over what is viewed on their device.
This is not the same as the app store. Not at all. Lots of blurry lines here and no doubt the government will be all over this.

Apple is not stopping you .... you are stopping you. Do what others with little $$$ do ..... create a web blog and "publish" to your heart's content. Stop whining like a two year old just because you can't have everything "your way".
post #132 of 136
What the heck is rain's problem?

Anyway, Sports Illustrated has a subscriber base of 3 million.

Apple has 160 million account holders.

Who is more in need of increasing their numbers?

Who is going to blink first?

'nuff said?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #133 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

What the heck is rain's problem?

Anyway, Sports Illustrated has a subscriber base of 3 million.

Apple has 160 million account holders.

Who is more in need of increasing their numbers?

Who is going to blink first?

'nuff said?

It sounds like you agree with Rain that Apple is acting like a bully. And you think that is OK.

I'm not sure I agree with either one of you.
post #134 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

It sounds like you agree with Rain that Apple is acting like a bully. And you think that is OK.

I'm not sure I agree with either one of you.

Weren't you the one who said you get upset when someone puts words in your mouth? Maybe you should heed your own advice.
post #135 of 136
Quote:

On a second note... lets look at 2 models.

1. Apple only allows who and what they want for publications and advertisers on their technology. (failing publications who are big and have a lot of money and no idea's.)

Results: Very short lived model leading to eventual censorship lawsuits up the ying yang.

2. Someone releases a similar gadget - builds tools for easy publishing. Boom in publications, cartoons, idea's, exchanges, interesting design. Sure the trick will be to find the gems between the garbage... but Youtube isn't dying at all.

Results: Market decides the winners and losers. People maybe start reading again.

This path that Apple is going down is out of pure greed and nothing, zilch, nada for anyone but big business.
Well... big business relies on a consumer market, and consumers are not going to buy this big steaming load of bullshit from Apple.

This whole new push for big business to control everything and dominate market share is shredding any hope of a free market. It's already killed your economy in the good 'ol USA and these giants are just getting started.

You build from the bottom up
Apple is trying to build from the top.
No doubt at all this will fail if Apple doesn't change direction.

Oh my god so much rain, and I forgot my umbrella. I wish I was in a walled garden here. Luckily you are not thowing ligtening bolts yet. Keep it calm and start something creative. You can do that without 10'000'000$
post #136 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Weren't you the one who said you get upset when someone puts words in your mouth? Maybe you should heed your own advice.

I took your comment to mean: Apple has much greater negotiating strength. Nobody is going to suggest a deal that works well for both. So Apple, with its superior strength, will force the other guys to capitulate in the end and "blink".

To me, business deals are done either to advantage both sides, or because a bully is forcing a weak partner to do something they otherwise would not do. If that is not what you meant, I apologize.

But maybe that is what you said, without realizing it?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Sports Illustrated says unfair iPad subscription terms led to cut features
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sports Illustrated says unfair iPad subscription terms led to cut features